Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you keeping to the 5km restrictions?

Options
  • 17-01-2021 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

So having a flick through strava and seeing people who are doing laps within their 5k radius and people who are clearly just not sticking to it at all, got me thinking are most people actually keeping within the 5k? Do you find it difficult to plan a spin that won't bore you to death with in the restrictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

stevencn88 wrote: »
    So having a flick through strava and seeing people who are doing laps within their 5k radius and people who are clearly just not sticking to it at all, got me thinking are most people actually keeping within the 5k? Do you find it difficult to plan a spin that won't bore you to death with in the restrictions?

I went a little bit out this morning and there are Gardaí everywhere. Coming back, they just waved me through but I was only out by 0.8klm. I was doing loops.

The best thing to do is spike your heart beat by cycling very hard at a good pace , recover for a minute, cycle ie. hard burst of cycling again etc. I enjoy cycling but I also push myself very hard as I train kickboxing so I don't get bored as I keep myself busy. P

I also got a free fitness watch with my new phone and it's great seeing my statistics. It also has GPS and it has added another level of enjoyment to cycling despite not being able to cycle far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No. My training loop is on back country roads which take me 8km from home. I rarely meet any cars let alone guards and if they were to stop me it would most likely be to ask for directions as they’d more than likely be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did 58 kms this morning. there was one stretch of road, that I did 3 times.
    I wasn't bored, in fact, I enjoyed it a lot.
    I was outside my 5km limit for about 100 metres, I think.
    That stretch of road, that I did 3 times, quite often has a Garda checkpoint on it.
    They always wave me through, in fact, sometimes they seem surprised, when I slow down passing it.
    I have a 68km spin, that I sometimes do on my frankenbike, that keeps me within the 5km limit, without hitting the same point twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

52km, this a.m.
    All bar about 2km of it was within 5km of the house, the exception being a short section to get back onto a decent loop. Not bored at all. Great to be out.

On the scale of what the country is being asked to do, this isn't difficult !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i copped the other day that i've been going about 500m past the 5km boundary habitually. it's one of the junctions at the back of the airport, but i had it in my head that it was a further one than the one which is almost bang on the 5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Lucky enough out around clonee to have roads in each direction from the house to give a few options to loop around though obviously much prefer to head out in a decent spin further but mostly have kept close to home .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I'm lucky that the Phoenix Park (well 90% of it) is within my 5km circle as is the Tolka Valley Park. It was a lot prettier in the Spring and Autumn but, even now, it certainly beats the stop-start roads that would be the alternative. I did one spin around the circumferance of my circle that came to 55km but I won't be making it a regular outing.

Commiserations to those on the coast or, even worse, at the end of a peninsula!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm going about 500metres outside of it I'd say so as to loop back. I think this is reasonable.

I've got a fair chunk of the park in my 5km and roads around the airport,

I've turned back if I thought anywhere was too busy.

I'm not homeless, I'm not in direct provision. I'm not thankfully in a position where every day is a struggle (Covid or otherwise).

It's really not that hard to stick to that limit. There's bigger things at play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well as you're busy "flicking" (spying) on other peoples Strava.... remember this...

Could be good if the Gards did it eh?

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/french-police-using-strava-to-catch-and-fine-cyclists-for-training-outdoors/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would hardly call it 'spying' on someone to check on what they themselves have put on social media for others to see?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whatsmore, I and everyone else sticking to our boundaries are going to be lumped in with all the selfish c*nts who think they're above it all and happily go 20-30 km away and back for no reason.

It's tiresome enough having to defend cycling and cyclists at the best of times, but to be lumped in with another type when all is said and done won't be worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yes, I have a 40km suburban circular route or I have most of the South Dublin mountain climbs in my 5km. I did 1,000m of ascent in 40km this afternoon. I could try and ride every street in my radius but I'd probably still be doing it next lockdown.

I'm not stuck in a one bedroom flat with a screaming baby, I'm entirely privileged to be able to get out.

i would hardly call it 'spying' on someone to check on what they themselves have put on social media for others to see?

"seeing people who are doing laps within their 5k radius and people who are clearly just not sticking to it at all"

The above suggests the OP is paying particular attention and working out who's going outside their 5k radius.

Spying or Curtain twitching.. one or the other..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    "seeing people who are doing laps within their 5k radius and people who are clearly just not sticking to it at all"

The above suggests the OP is paying particular attention and working out who's going outside their 5k radius.

Spying or Curtain twitching.. one or the other..

Neither actually. Simply something I noticed today, so you can put the tinfoil hat back in the cupboard.

so you can put the tinfoil hat back in the cupboard.

Really? Is that the best you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’ve been outside it both spins this weekend but trying to be careful to not be too far beyond it. All this has been solo but I’ve met too many pairs & trio’a on the road.

If I do meet a checkpoint I’ll turn without argument as trying to defend your actions is pointless. In my defence i only hit the roads at weekends for two endurance spins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: No good will come of this, and as per the rules of the site, we won't allow discussion of, or encouragement of, law breaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement