Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think both these can be true at the same time, some of the delays can be attributed to the French side as they had an issue with staffing for a short time but the majority of this is on the UK and Brexit. The fact that there is now a need to check more passports to ensure people are not overstaying their 90 days visa free time as a 3rd nation means these checks are now taking time. It may only be less than a minute for a couple or 2 minutes for a family, but if all passports of the British needs to be checked and stamped it adds up.

So you can point out that some of the blame is on the French, but it is only a small reason as the port wasn't built with these types of checks in mind and the same port asked for money to address this and the government refused the request in their quest to show that Brexit will not have a huge impact.

I thought this had been addressed? We do not know the anger there still is about the EU and just throwing petrol on the fire by asking to return to the EU while the effects had not been felt would be suicide. Labour cannot change the UK approach to Brexit from the opposition benches and they are not going to get into power by proposing a return or criticising Brexit right now. So better to just focus on "making it work" and getting into power rather than allowing the Tories to set the agenda again as in 2019 and having to sit on the opposition benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Chickens coming home to roost. Welcome to the Brexit.

And even still the Tory leadership election is predicated on who can pick more fights with the EU. What a shower of delusional chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Even more comical,there must be even more French people late for work on the French side judging by all the refugees managing to get across France to the UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK got the rules changed on the EU GPS system to restrict non-EU access.

Which meant they locked themselves out if it with Brexit. Then they decided to invest half a billion dollars into OneWeb satellites to using the excuse they could create an alternative system. (If that were true then the EU, US, Russia, India and Japan have been wasting billions on their working GPS systems)

Today's update : French satellite company Eutelsat has just taken over OneWeb.

#takingbackcontrol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Blaming the roads now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC it was also said OneWeb's orbit was too low to even work as a GPS system, as accuracy would have been a huge problem. What a scam. Only skimmed the article but does it say what the UK will use for GPS if it can't access Galileo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I am very pleased to confirm that irony is not dead, Brexit continues to make it chart new heights every passing week: perishables imported from France by Minister for Brexit Opportunities for his summer party, stuck in customs traffic jam, won’t get there in time.

⚠️ EDIT: apparently that’s a fake/joke. Hand up if it is. Still, I blame the British government and affiliated media: they’ve made it far too difficult to distinguish satire from factual events 😁

Post edited by ambro25 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A story for which the word "schadenfreude" is entirely apt. A politician perhaps, arguably, more odious than Boris Johnson - who at least affected a disarming charisma. In the sense that while Trump appalled me, Mitch McConnell I hated as the true sickness. Reese-Mogg is a Victorian villain, a sordid reminder of the classism that remains as a permanent rot in the heart of British society.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'a traffic queue, six months ago'. Oh yes, its GB news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I see the delusion is still strong when you are angling for a job in the next cabinet,

That is just Jeremy Hunt who most would have said was one of the better MP's when it came to calling out the government for their failures during Covid but not for Brexit. We are back at the negotiations stage again, where its always the other sides fault that there was no progress. The joke is the delays are hurting not just UK citizens but French citizens and EU citizens as well as they are stuck in the same queue and people going to France spends money on the French economy as well. So it makes no sense to hurt their own citizens and their own economy except in the world where you want a big job again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is a good thing that Premier soccer clubs do not use this process for selecting their managers. Can you imagine the team reducing the list of possibles to two, and then leaving it up to the supporters (season ticket holders) to vote on which one.

One might say 'I will only use English players, so they are all eligible for the English team' and the other saying 'I think we should always use a 4-4-2 formation as it is better for the off-side trap'. What clap-trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

You have to stand in awe of the logic. They were advised to invest in the port infrastructure because of the anticipated major effect of Brexit, but they wouldn't agree to it because that would indicate that Brexit was going to have a major effect.

Joseph Heller couldn't have written it better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's incredible. He's hidden his true nature by turning himself into a walking freakshow. The likes of Cameron used to try and hide their affluence but Rees-Mogg wears it in full pomp. I was thinking about Steve Baker the other day and he's another savvy operator. He's been able to help agitate for Brexit while completely dodging any responsibility for it.

I'd have been one of them. This is just where political discourse here is now. You either sing from the new hymnsheet or get left behind. I've no idea what "reset" is supposed to mean. I can't see Macron rushing to spend French taxpayers' cash on making life easier for middle class English people most of whom voted for this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I suppose eu countries not recognising uk blue badges isn't petty either and is the UK's own fault..

You can kid yourselves everythings all Britain's fault but even ardent anti brexiteers can see just how low the bureaucrats in brussels will stoop to score a petty "win".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What does Brussels have to do with this? Are you actually claiming that the European Parliament and Commission has a direct hand in the delays at Dover?

Also the blue badges is just another brexiteer cakeism argument. They were recognised due to being an EU member, they left so now they arent and if the UK hasn't gotten around to finishing negotiations on this then whose fault is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah for god sake, if team Brexit leaves an open goal, widens the goal posts and then backpasses it to a non existent keeper you can't blame the other team for taking the tap in....

In this case it seems to be a complete own goal never mind a tap in....

Im not necessarily a fan of any type of bureaucrat but the bureaucrats in Brussels don't need to stoop low at all, the UK is already down at their own foot with the revolver on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whose fault do you think it is then? The possibility of people not turning up on time for work should be built into the system surely, particularly one point of such huge importance?

Placing the entire system operability on an external partner, one that you are openly hostile to (blaming the French completely for immigrants) was always a massive risk. Governments are in the business of mitigating risk.

The UK completely failed to mitigate this risk, hence it is completely their fault.

What 'win' to you think the EU achieved? Nothing but more bellyaching from the UK. This will now result in wasted meetings, extra costs, and more victim complex for the UK. Do you really think the French want to be spending their summer doing this rather than anything else?

That 'feeling' is at the core of Brexit. Everything, according to Brexiteers, is somehow based on either getting back at the UK or getting one over the UK. Instead, the French really don't care. This is just a headache, one they don't want but unfortunately, the law says they must.

Dover lies at the fault of Johnson, JRM, Baker, Farage and everyone else that sold this pup to the UK public. Why, even after all this time and after Johnson doing such a great job in 'getting Brexit done' can none of them accept the outcome of their desire?

The counter narrative you're responding is entering a ludicrous realm of "they're just jealous of our freedoms" beloved by the embittered right in the US. There's always a need to draw "Britain" as in the primacy against the lesser Continentals. Especially France and Germany; the old enemy, despite both countries being quite positively inclined towards the UK. Or apathetic at worst. Instead, have the trotting out of the now ancient "joke" about Italian tanks; revealing a lot about the user's background, probable age and perspective. Trapped in a post WW2 victory lap while the rest of the world moves on decades ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's truly peculiar. If you're interested, I'd highly recommend Philip Stevens' masterful Britain Alone: The Path from Suez to Brexit. It quite eloquently shows the damage that this post-WW2 mentality (not least including the obsession with Washington) has wrought on UK politics. The EU pullulates with small and middling member states who traditionally view the UK as an ally such as the Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Poland and Belgium not to mention the Balkans. The Bulgarians even named a street in Sofia after Gladstone replete with a plaque honoring him.

Successive, mostly Tory governments passed up opportunity after opportunity to lead Europe and now get triggered every time Scholz or Macron has an idea they dislike.

I genuinely wonder if people here'll ever get bored of Brexit. It's beyond pathetic now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry to burst your bubble but most of EU could not care less about UK or what UK think. As far as the EU is concerned Brexit is indeed done; it's old news and they are on to more important things than dealing with a petulant country stomping it's feet and demanding this or that. It's not malice, it's not trying "to get one over" etc. as you seem to think; it's simply disinterest in general and applying the rules that apply to all third party countries. EU focus is now on what matters to the EU and believe it or not that's not the UK. What you and UK fail to grasp is that you're not the center of the world, nor top priority in the EU and until and when UK actually implements the agreements they signed there's not a whole lot more to talk about.

I'll simply pull up one of my favorite clips from Street Fighter which honestly sums it up so much better and you even get to make EU evil by putting it in the role of Bison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

There’s no pettiness or “wins”, merely the unending march of legal and practical situations, previously arrived at as status quos through the interplay of the UK’s EU/CU/SM membership and reciprocity under fellow EU/CU/SM member states’ laws and rules, reaching their irremediable end, as the Withdrawal Agreement, TCA, NIP <etc> all gradually restore the UK fully into the third party country status, which its democratically-elected government chose for it.

I can certainly understand that all those unprepared, informationally and psychologically, for the scale of this upending, would be distraught whenever their expectations, made up of such status quo situations developed over the last 30 years and then augmented by a diet of exceptionalist disinformation for the last 6 years (and still!), collides harshly and suddenly with reality. And, for some, that they would lash out at the ‘enemy’ whom they’ve been taught to hate for years on end by their politicians’ client media, perceiving the practical consequences of every such legal change as a personal or national slight.

But rest assured that nobody with even an inkling of understanding about what Brexit means in practice for the UK and the EU27, is kidding themselves about its consequences, in any respect. For many of them, and certainly those of us long present on these ‘Brexit’ threads, the vast majority of Brexit consequences were fully mappable, were fully mapped, were discussed and debated at length with pro-Leave posters (-at the more serious end of the socio-economic awareness spectrum), have since come to pass due to the ‘hard’ type of Brexit pushed through by Johnson’s government, with many (many, many) more such adverse consequences yet to pass.

Your practical choice is, paradoxically, as simple as the views that you are pushing in your posts: get with the program (the UK is a third party country, and is being treated by the EU27 as such, no worse/no better than such) or prepare for years’ more of ever-worse victimhood.

Post edited by ambro25 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

so they have no problem that the french check passports on british soil , but the world is sinking for them if eu officials check goods in belfast on british soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

The NIP doesn't include EU checking incoming goods in Belfast or in any other NI port/airport.

The NIP (and the output of the Joint Committee) determines what GB->NI goods UK customs officers should check.

The EU has observer rights only.

Checks for goods NI->GB is a matter for the UK alone (except possible for UK's relations to the WTO).

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Tories have learned the lesson that the U.S. Republicans have, which is that the only way to keep your voters voting for what are essentially policies designed to hurt them (no tax for billionaires leading to no public services), is to keep them enraged. Hence the self-reinforcing downward spiral of outrage from Red-Tops to politicians and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Has the Mogg truck full of expensive perishable food been confirmed?

It strikes me as a possible spoof - too delicious to be true - possibly like the list of the goodies on board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not real. It was a fake story by a fake GB News account

Political irrelevance UKIP might be, and I daresay Hamilton was only invited on for the Freak Factor: but this is exactly the kind of post-colonial, antagonistic guff that some in the UK - or indeed, here - would have us believe is going on. Oh 'dem Frenchies are at it again. They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring!

And that's not just pixelburp being salty: Hamilton backs this up through the brass neck to claim France has a "longstanding psychological problem" with Britain 'cos the UK "defeated them over the centuries or we've saved them". There it is. Jesus Christ how does this rot get driven out of the UK mindset, one that amounts to 'dem Foreign Johnnies up to No Good, Rule Britannia wot wot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's what they want. You get the government you want. Nothing different in the UK, RuSSia, US, Ireland. People throughout history have not acted ever in enlightened self interest. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

• Advertisement

I don't believe it's that simple: we saw with the Brexit vote alone; the way the vote split among ages, geography and income. Would the lingering Dad's Army mindset be as strong in metropolitan London, or the larger multicultural urban areas, as it is in Cornwall and other parts of so-called "Little England"? This continental antagonism would be broadly meaningless to the younger, more mobile class in the UK - yet they're also the cohort that doesn't vote. Christ the brief "Cool Britannia" period of the 90s showed there was appetite for all a more optimistic UK to be something beyond dinosaurs like Hamilton blathering on about historical victories against the French.

Advertisement