Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Most of France was in English hands at one point. I doubt most people here know that though. History here seems to be limited to Agincourt, the Empire and World War 2.

I don't normally post this sort of thing here but picture, thousand words, etc...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't say English people actually know that much about the empire other than it had India in it. A lot of them certainly seem very confused as to why the colonized are a bit upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭yagan

From my time in England a lot of people were confused about whether Ireland (or southern Ireland as they called it) or Northern Ireland were still both part of the UK in some way, or the odd time some thought Northern Ireland was the republic and Ireland was part of the UK. The older ones were terribly misinformed and the younger ones terribly underinformed, the former probably confusing the latter.

Some wit once said if Ireland knew less of its history and England knew more there'd be peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

So James O'Brien went away on 2 holiday, sat on the beach pondering Brexit and on his return let off a fair bit of steam, well worth a watch as he completely skewers those who knowingly mislead 17.2m people into thinking Brexit would lead to the land of milk and honey where Britain held all the cards, there would be absolutely no checks of any kind at Dover (😂😂😂) and the British economic growth would do power ahead free from the red tape shackles of being a member of the EU.

The fact the complete opposite in all regards and in every sense is rapidly materialising is succinctly addressed by O'Brien in this classic soliloquy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently the French press aren't even reporting the delays at Dover, it's a total non event to them.

Anecdotally, people living in France are saying the same on social media - total disinterest in Brexit or anything GB related, they've long since moved on. So, talk of punishment or revenge for Brexit is beyond deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Even if it was intentional and a punishment (it's obviously not), Brits just have to put up with it and have no recourse, yet the only Brexit benefit anyone can seem to muster is that they have "taken back control"! If this doesn't highlight that they are at the mercy of others and actually have very little control, nothing will. Every time the Brexiters try to spin these things, it ends up an indictment of Brexit if you actually think about it (which nobody in Britain seems to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Brexit is a disaster,although the sky has`nt fallen down as predicted.Britain remains the second largest economy in Europe behind the powerhouse that is Germany.Hopefully down the line,a new British government will try to fix the damage done by the tories but in the meanwhile we,(the British public)will have to grin and bare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The sky very much has fallen down like predicted.

Of course, not every prediction was spot on, so people can jump on the few more outlandish predictions and claim that nothing happened. But it very much has.

The pound has seen its value fall, with little increase in Exports to show for this new-found value. Indeed exports to EU have massively fallen. Massive delays at Dover are just the most extreme example of the new problems facing people. Musicians have been complaining for months. Fishermen have been completely screwed. People can no longer get jobs in the EU. There is a massive backlog in the passport office and the Visa application office. GPD has fallen and is now forecasted to lag behind for years

Roaming charges are back for some carriers. Courier firms have been complaining about queues at ports for months. The divorce bill now stands at 42bn!

The UK has been forced into bad trade deals with Australia and NZ simply to look like they achieved something. NI is a mess. Cornwall is complaining about the loss of structural fnds. Wales is saying they are going to lose out.

And the UK is now about to be on its 4th PM since Brexit!

What`s to negotiate regarding blue badges?Does being a third country suddenly mean you`re trying to cod the eu and you`re not really disabled?

It doesn't seem to be an EU level thing.

Just some countries haven't gotten around to updating their relevant legislation to reflect the UK leaving.

The legislation in Ireland might have said something like we recognise any blue badges issued by an EU country and any other country as deemed appropriate by the minister.

That would allow our minister to sign a simple order recognising UK blue badges.

The legislation in Bulgaria might have listed any EU nation plus maybe specific others.

To add the UK might require legislative time in their calendar which might not be a big priority on their to do list.

The negotiation is UK diplomats talking to their relevant counterparts and asking them to progress with the relevant decisions or processes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is not the point.

The Blue badge is accepted in all EU countries if it is issued by another EU state.

However, for non-EU countries (third countries) the blue badge has to be agreed country by country. Of course, the UK have not negotiated these agreements, so no agreement exists for many EU member states. Some member states have rolled over previous agreements.

There is of course some fraudulent cards in circulation, but that is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

<sigh>

Mutual recognition, on a country-by-country basis with the EU27, because while the recognition of a blue badge issued by an EU country is automatic in another EU country, that is not the case for third party countries, like the UK chose to become.

This is yet another of those “Brits got used to the status quo for 30+ years and are not understanding that legals have now got in the way” situation, that I described in my earlier reply to you.

It’s not a slight. It’s not revenge. It’s just rules and regs slowly adapting to the reality of the UK now being a third party country, sometimes with hiccups (as in this case, because the UK has been dragging its heels in coming to grips with it, for fear of having to acknowledge loud and clear the reality that always was “Project Fear”).

Exercised at the touring Brit disabled who cannot use their blue badge in the EU27 for a while? Then spare a thought for the Brit professionals living and working in the EU, who lost their jobs and life situations because their professional qualifications ceased to be recognised for the exact same reason. And maybe, just maybe, another thought for the EU27 professionals living and working in the UK, who reciprocally lost their jobs and life situation for the exact same reason. Etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No being a third country means that any agreements previously honored due to being part of the EU are null and void. It doesn't matter how well intentioned or not the policies were they no longer exist and must therefore be renegotiated and agreed by both parties. Its exactly the kind of thing people who voted remain were warning would happen.

Do you think you could just go to any country on the planet and legally park in a disabled parking space using an Irish permit without some kind of reciprocal agreement being in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Almost noting I would have thought, and yet the UK government omitted it from their deal and seemingly from the negotiations.

But I guess it is the EU's fault for not doing the UK works for them is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically it could work, after all GPS is based on ground radar measuring the satellites orbits to predict where they will be in the near future. It would just need 100 times as much calibration because the OneWeb satellites aren't fully above the effects of the atmosphere so it's unworkable in practice even if the UK could put huge radars on all rocks they control worldwide.

UK will have to rely on the benevolence of the USA or stump up £5Bn and years for a proper system. Note no one else launches GPS satellites from foreign soil.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/4HSNZNOUKUUN/image.png

Winning against Iceland ?

The Royal Navy lost three Cod Wars in a row to a country that didn't even have a proper navy just a coast guard.

Here's what France's Euronews is reporting - Post-Brexit Brits now need to do a 4-day course to live in France

And it entails a wee bit more than speaking louder to Johnny Foreigner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That course looks fun, actually.

Fun fact, the EU's largest national park is in South America. French Guyana to be more specific.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Those tests are usually pretty hard and full of stuff a local would have no clue on.

At least you get 4 days of learning first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh Oscar...

The problem with the English is that they never remember their history and the problem with the Irish is that they never forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I still fondly remember first year of university in Cambridge having a geography student tell me the capitol of 'Southern' Ireland was Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cambridge always had a low standard 😀

the ordinary British (English) citizen knows very little about Ireland, which they prove on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

the ordinary British (English) citizen knows very little (about Ireland, Europe, the EU, history, politics (both UK and world), geography, science, etc.) which they prove depressingly on a regular basis.

I watch a lot of British quiz programmes and continue to be amused and astonished at how little the average contestant knows about anything outside 'popular culture' - that is TV soaps and red-top celebrity gossip. Now it could be nerves through being on TV or just not understanding the question, but it is too common to be that for all of them.

Mind you there are a few very well educated contestants - but just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember watching an episode of Pointless where the final was Irish counties. The contestants gave Kerry and Galway as answers but they were among the best known. I think Carlow and Roscommon were the ones nobody got. Although in fairness I wouldn't know too much about British geography either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ever notice on those game shows how many people have jobs that don't directly add to the economy? No one's in manufacturing or 'hard industries.' Most are government employees/retired from state work/never worked/...

Never mind us. The lack of knowledge on Scotland is mind-blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Many British don't actually know what historical county they live in themselves! It's probably because the historical counties often don't appear in their postal addresses which are based on post towns, which may well be in a neighbouring historical county to boot. Their local authorities haven't been based on historical counties for decades so they lost that link too.

Us British dimwits will be watching the opening ceremony of the commonwealth games(live from Birmingham)this evening ,along with over a billion others around the world.We'll be watching the Euro football final(live from Wembley stadium)on Sunday along with millions of others around the world-truly global,cosmopolitan Britain remains a world leader despite the best efforts of the tories.

I assume the choice of such contestants is because they are generally better educated and have a marginally better level of general knowledge. I notice that the 'celebrity' versions have much lower attainment than the general versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Good for you.

I can't imagine 12% of the planet will watch the Commonwealth Games. Hilarious as it is that you're bigging it up.

The only coverage I've seen of it of late was about a load of Canadians pulling out due to the proximity of the World Athletics Championships.

It may as well not be on.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

Advertisement