Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

dogbert27 wrote: »
    How does he plan to support himself in Italy?

Does he think he can move there and then start looking for a job?

What teaching position does he think he can fulfil that an Italian or other EU person cannot?

The short answer would be no it's not realistic if he's a teacher and thinks he can just re-locate to Italy permanently and start teaching.

His defence will probably be:
    "But Boris said nothing would change so that's why I voted for Brexit!"

His plan would be to work in an international school. He's lived around the world for a decade and just happened to be back in English around the time of the vote.

He hates Johnson and the Tories. He completely goes against the cliche Brexiteer trope. Politics degree. A masters. A teaching qualification. Very intelligent and knows an awful lot about world and economic history. Regrets his vote but I guess still thinks it won't affect him moving to European countries. I think he's in denial as he avoids all Brexit news.

Edited to be less specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

PeadarCo wrote: »
    It think people have to distinguish being anti British and being frustrated with a UK government that has declared economic war on itself. Ireland is a country that has been hit in crossfire. The sudden imposing of restrictions on the UK with its largest trade partner are more akin to sanctions imposed on enemy nations during a dispute. However the UK has willingly imposed them on itself.

Since the 2016 referendum the only noticible change here is the dip in Sterling.
    I believe its still too early to call the effects of brexit which I understand some posters find irritating as they would like to call it after a month. Its a fact that here in the UK(and despite my own feelings of dread for the predicted descent into mediocrity)over the last four years or so since the vote the sky hasn't fallen in,I've noticed pension funds are doing well and are actually better than pre covid.
    I'm disappointed the UK have taken the road it has but haven't really seen any sign of a brexit thread predicted tsunami heading the UK's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

His plan would be to work in an international school. He's lived around the world for a decade and just happened to be back in English around the time of the vote.

He hates Johnson and the Tories. He completely goes against the cliche Brexiteer trope. Politics degree. A masters. A teaching qualification. Very intelligent and knows an awful lot about world and economic history. Regrets his vote but I guess still thinks it won't affect him moving to European countries. I think he's in denial as he avoids all Brexit news.

He'd still a visa to work and have to become a resident in Italy and enter their social security system.

If there is a need for an teacher with his background that the International School can prove that they have looked at other applicants before him and cannot fill the role required. It's a lot of hassle for the International School to have to go through just to hire him.

Having a degree in politics and knowing a lot about world and economic history you would have to wonder how he voted leave?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

He will be treated like any other third-country national. There are a few transitional relaxations, but they are only available to UK citizens who were already resident in Italy on 1 January 2021; they will not be available to him.

He can visit Italy visa-free for up to 90 days, but if he wants to live there for longer than that, and to work there at all, he will need to get both a residence permit and a work permit. There are quotas for the number of employment work permits that can be issued each year. Quotas are set each year and there is a "season" during which applications are received. If you miss the season, you wait til next year.

There are fees to be paid, but they are measured in hundreds of euros, not thousands. This being Italy, though, there is a delay involved; you would need to start the application process several months before you intend to start work. But the catch-22 is that you can't start the process until you have a job offer. So he'll need to find an international school that wants him badly enough to make him a job offer and is happy to wait several months before he can take it up.

Option B would be to seek a European Blue Card, which is a work permit that would allow him to work throughout the Schengen area. Again, he needs a job offer, and it needs to be a highly-paid one. (I don't know what kind of salary he would expect at an internationals school, or whether it would be high enough to support an application for a Blue Card.) Plus, he'll need financial resources and health insurance. And - this could be a problem - he'll need to be registered/qualified to teach in Italy, even if the international school is wholly private, operates outside the Italian state system and doesn't require its staff to be professionally registered in Italy.

You apply for a blue card to the government of the country where you have a job offer - in this case, the Italian government.

If he is recruited by one of the classier international schools my guess is that they will guide and/or help him in organising what he needs; they likely will know what is involved and will have done it before for third-country hires.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Since the 2016 referendum the only noticible change here is the dip in Sterling.
    It depends on what you mean by "noticeable".

There's been a huge and sustained drop in investment, particulary inward investment into the UK, and substantial asset transfers out of the UK. UK GDP growth has steadily underperformed relative to comparable economies in the EU - economies that the UK fairly reliable tracked in the twenty years or so prior to 2016. The UK UK government's own modelling says that this effect will continue, with the UK falling further and further behind EU comparators. They have now stopped doing, or at any rate publishing, further modelling on this.

The squeeze on GDP growth has a corresponding effect on, e.g., tax revenues; profits not as high as they might be means corporation tax receipts are not as high as they might be; wages not as high as they might affects income tax receipts; etc.

These things are very noticeable; just not immediately noticeable by the consumer in the high street. They will in time feed through to the man or woman in the street in the form of stagnant or declining living standards, possibly higher unemployment rates and certainly low or no wages growth, possibly higher inflation — not dramatic, but could be sustained — and a general miasma of economic gloom. Think Ireland in the 1980s, if you're old enough to remember that.

It's true that pension funds, etc, have held up well, but this is partly because they hold a lot of assets outside the UK, and the (sterling) value of those assets has been buoyed by the decline in sterling. But, unless sterling continues to decline, that's not a repeatable phenomenon. Funds will be tempted to correct for this by investing more and more outside the UK and less and less in the UK, but the implications of that for UK industry and business are obvious, and not beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I believe its still too early to call the effects of brexit which I understand some posters find irritating as they would like to call it after a month. Its a fact that here in the UK(and despite my own feelings of dread for the predicted descent into mediocrity)over the last four years or so since the vote the sky hasn't fallen in,I've noticed pension funds are doing well and are actually better than pre covid.
    I'm disappointed the UK have taken the road it has but haven't really seen any sign of a brexit thread predicted tsunami heading the UK's way.

As an EU member and just an average Joe, I have noticed several negatives to Brexit, predominantly missing items in the shops and inconvenience with some online shopping - just enough to be annoying and that I wish I had stocked up on a few things prior to Jan 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I remember when the financial crash occurred in September 2008 I was wondering what all the panic was about. Nothing changed for me. Even a year or two later I was unaffected. I was bypassed by the Celtic tiger anyway. Too young and too poor at the time to have basked in its glory.
    Vastly Different story by 2011 /12 . Without giving away the specifics of my situation but the government cuts took two years to filter down to me personally but my God did they filter down.
    Like most things in life these things don’t happen with a Big Bang equally to all people.
    But there are some people in Britain and Ireland who have been absolutely floored by brexit already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rob, I respectly say that you are living in a bubble if this is your view.

Fishing, music, fashion, au pairs, fruit pickers, immigrants living in the EU, agriculture, transport companies, Holyhead, diplomatic relations, Scottish independence.

The government itself is now admitting that the deal leaves so much red tape and trade barriers that they are demanding the EU 'Do something ' to help them.

And we are 5 weeks into it. It isn't posters here that are calling it after a month, its UK industry and the UK government that are calling it

This was apparently, a triumph. A pround moment for a once again sovereign nation taking it place on the world stage after years off being under the rule of the EU. And yet, ever since the ink dried on Johnson signature there has been nothing but complaints and demands from the UK.

Do you think they are complaining so much because everything is great and there has been little impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I believe its still too early to call the effects of brexit

I agree. We know the UK will take an economic hit, but perhaps it will be worth it. No-one says the Norwegians or Swiss are mad for halting the process of joining the EU. Likewise, the English may be happy to pay the price to bring about their vision for the future.

It's interesting that the DUP have been so prominent during Brexit in Westminster. They have long championed a particular vision where their singular brand of patriotism trumps economic interest and inclusivity, and certainly seem persuaded the costs are worth it. Perhaps their views of national identity, unusual across most of the UK today, might be a model for the new England.

I agree. We know the UK will take an economic hit, but perhaps it will be worth it. No-one says the Norwegians or Swiss are mad for halting the process of joining the EU. Likewise, the English may be happy to pay the price to bring about their vision for the future.

It's interesting that the DUP have been so prominent during Brexit in Westminster. They have long championed a particular vision where their singular brand of patriotism trumps economic interest and inclusivity, and certainly seem persuaded the costs are worth it. Perhaps their views of national identity, unusual across most of the UK today, might be a model for the new England.

If the DUP are the model for the new England then the United Kingdom will definitely be breaking up sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

I think it is great that you , and other Brexiteers, are happy with the outcome. As Leroy42 pointed , a lot of people in the UK are not. And that included the government , with Gove insisting that the EU do something to help.

I have messages from two companies in UK who have stopped exporting to Ireland, and the rest of the EU, until the "Brexit thing gets sorted". In one case, they say their couriers have lost track of three parcels, stuck somewhere in a warehouse in UK awaiting haulage to EU. The courier are reporting such delays they they cannot give them a idea when they might be able to forward the packages. These are all engineer products so the delay won't cause any deterioration but obviously a cost they don't want. My limited understanding of haulage would suggest that the virtual ban on 'groupage' is causing a lot of small exported major problems.

So Rob, i think it might depend on the industry you are involved in or whether you are involved in cross border trade. But certain people have definitely notice the impact.

The key difference is that Norway considered the pros and cons and decided that staying out, but linked, was the best option for them.

The problem that the UK are having is that they haven't done that. They have only looked at the positives, and discounted or ignored the negatives.

So, they are not looking to adjust to the new reality that they face, instead they want to go back to the previous way but with added Sovereignty.

When the outcome you promised is having all the cake and eating all the cake, it isn't a surprise that people will less than impressed that there is no food at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭yagan

I was living in England for a few years after the referendum and I'd agree initially that aside from "travel money" costing more, on the ground there was no obvious changes. However currency weakness feed through into consumer prices with a 10-15% price hike in the following year.

With flat wages it's essentially slow boiling a frog.

yagan wrote: »
    I was living in England for a few years after the referendum and I'd agree initially that aside from "travel money" costing more, on the ground there was no obvious changes. However currency weakness feed through into consumer prices with a 10-15% price hike in the following year.

With flat wages it's essentially slow boiling a frog.

I think it was Fintan O'Toole that pointed out the issue at the heart of Brexit. If everything was so bad under the kosh of the EU, yet the promised solution to this multitude of intolerable problems (Brexit) would actually have no actual impact on anything, then what exactly is the point of it all!

Even if one takes Robs POv as correct, at best one can say that after all the messing, al the political wrangling, the £bns spent on preparation, the £bns that will be spent on lorry parks, customs agents, forms etc, that for the man and woman in the street noting will, for all practical purposes, have changed, then what exactly was the point?

The point is, that a select few will regain the control over international trade that they lost when the UK first joined the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Where is the ‘here’ you’re referring to? Inside your own head?

There have been huge changes since the 1st of January affecting consumers, retailers, fishermen, hauliers, manufacturers, exporters, importers, farmers, food producers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Well it depends on who you are. For some people Brexit will be good. However you can't just focus on one data point/one person. For some people and industries the world has fallen in. The fishing industry has received a massive hit as its effectively unable to export and exports make up the majority of their sales. We know trade volumes for January is down 68% and thats without the UK actually controlling its borders ie implementing the customs checks Brexit now requires. And that's goods and not services which the Brexit deal impacts even worse. I know of some managers of building sites from the UK who are working in Ireland but are now no longer allowed on their sites because the UK equivalent of safe pass is no longer recognised in Ireland.

Never mind all the logistical issues Brexit has caused which will really hit home over the next few months as exports reduce and imports become more expensive. Never a good combination. All this has been predicted and warned about for the last 5 odd years now.

The other side is this will snow ball as the impacts ripples through the different supply chains run out of cash. The best example of how bad Brexit has been is that the UK is already trying to renegotiate a deal that's barely a month old. As businesses start to run out of cash and all the job losses that come with that you will see an even bigger impact on the UK economy than has already been seen since the Brexit vote.

No offence its good to hear you haven't been impacted so far. However it's absolutely irrelevant as the UK has 60 million plus people and one person's experiences(no matter who they are) are never going to representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

20silkcut wrote: »
    I remember when the financial crash occurred in September 2008 I was wondering what all the panic was about. Nothing changed for me. Even a year or two later I was unaffected. I was bypassed by the Celtic tiger anyway. Too young and too poor at the time to have basked in its glory.
    Vastly Different story by 2011 /12 . Without giving away the specifics of my situation but the government cuts took two years to filter down to me personally but my God did they filter down.
    Like most things in life these things don’t happen with a Big Bang equally to all people.
    But there are some people in Britain and Ireland who have been absolutely floored by brexit already.
    The 2008 crash destroyed a generation by taking away opportunity. People coming through the education system who qualified in 2008-2012 had the rug pulled from underneath them, no prospect of getting a decent job in the area they trained in, even people like nurses and teachers were divided from the rest of their colleagues and given worse pay and conditions and told they were lucky to have a job

Anyone who had trained to work in the community sector had no chance of finding a job as funding for everything got cut and the glut of unemployment meant that people were put on ‘work for free’ schemes like job path and CE schemes

I personally qualified with a Masters around then, the previous graduate class all got well paid jobs soon after graduating, of my graduation class, only 1 person found work in the field, others emigrated, I ended up working in a call Centre to keep food on the table in a job ‘I was lucky to have’

This is what faces the class of 2021 in the UK, and unless there is a radical political change, it’s going to be a dark time for the youth of England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland and they don’t even have the safety valve of a bigger neighbor next door to emigrate to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

That's because nothing happened until the 1st of Jan this year.
    The impact of that is delayed due to Covid.

Whatever about the economy many people are going to feel the implications later this year.

People with rental property in Spain will have to pay a higher rate of Tax
    (19 to 24%)

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/personal-tax/brace-for-brexit-19-higher-taxes-for-brits-owning-spanish-homes

Many people working abroad (e.g. in Germany) will no longer be able to claim as a married couple as the UK is no longer in the EU, also Brits living in the EU and Not resident in Germany are also affected. (E.g. Cross border workers living in the Netherlands/Belgium/France etc)

https://the-red-relocators.com/relocation-guides-germany/taxes-in-germany/german-tax-classes/#:~:text=If%20the%20person%20applying%20for,lives%20in%20an%20EU%20country.

^^ That's a weeks wages gone every month.

Students going abroad for the Purposes of Study will need a visa, Erasmus is also gone. (will need to be self funded or sponsored)

Moving within the EU for British Citizens just became quite expensive, yes you can go for 90 days out of 180 days as a tourist, but you can't work or search for work, you need to apply for a Visa. You're only options for moving without additional Visa costs if you are living in an EU Country are to move back to the UK.

Contract workers are being left go, IR35 comes into force this year (they kicked the can down the road until after Brexit)
    Easy solution before would have been just to move to wherever the work was, that is no longer possible.

Travel Insurance is required and you need to prove you can support yourself when Travelling to Schengen.

Recovering Debt from another EU Country now requires you go through the local courts in that country as European Payment orders no longer apply.
    Good luck hiring and paying for a *insert local country* Lawyer

Brits who are living abroad have had their bank accounts closed I know of one person who has had a complete nightmare since he was given 1 months notice.

Opening a new account especially given the circumstances was not easy.

Divorce an already emotionally and financially challening time just became a whole lot more complicated:
    https://dawsoncornwell.com/en/international/brexit.html
    You could be in limbo for years or just lose access to your Children altogether.

Besides that there is just uncertainty, now you are at the mercy of whatever local legislation you are dealing with, even if rules are in place if those rules are incorrectly applied you have little recourse.

Effectively, UK Citizens could turn up at any Schengen Country and Border control can say "I think you are going to work" and send them back on the next plane home.

All the Brits I know are dumping their Citizenship, even ones that couldn't get it through some inexpensive means are going through Naturalisation.

I haven't heard of a single EU Citizen giving up their EU Passport to take a UK one, absolutely no benefit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can honestly say I hope it doesn't work out for him. He should have to stay home and own the mess he made and leave the jobs in Italy for the poor remainers who have had to put up with all this crap for the last 6 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Disappointed my arse. No one is buying that you are not a hardcore brexiter.

Just in my own experience brexit was a disaster for the hospitality industry which like most countries is too low paid for the locals and skills wise is largely an industry for the European workforce. Shipping in cheap Asian and African labour just won't work in hospitality so good luck next time you and Nigel are looking for a quick pint of the warm cask muck with the silly little tally-ho branding

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think it was Fintan O'Toole that pointed out the issue at the heart of Brexit. If everything was so bad under the kosh of the EU, yet the promised solution to this multitude of intolerable problems (Brexit) would actually have no actual impact on anything, then what exactly is the point of it all!

Even if one takes Robs POv as correct, at best one can say that after all the messing, al the political wrangling, the £bns spent on preparation, the £bns that will be spent on lorry parks, customs agents, forms etc, that for the man and woman in the street noting will, for all practical purposes, have changed, then what exactly was the point?

Fintan makes the point that they were trying to gain 'freedom' from an imaginary oppressor. Therefore you end up with imaginary freedom i.e. nothing but a crushing disappointment.

History will not be kind to Brexit. It will be thought of as a lunatic Ponzi scheme or scam conducted by a bunch of con artists.

Looks like other people are being affected:

'Digestive biscuits are missing, popcorn is missing, Walker's shortbread is missing, oatcakes are missing, various cheeses and milk.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9239909/British-shoppers-Europe-left-NO-custard-creams-Brexit-customs-chaos.html

I wonder how long these British supermarket chains will stay open in the EU?

"Rebrand is aimed at drumming up more business in Britain in the wake of Brexit"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9239819/Cornish-fishermen-rebrand-catches-persuade-UK-customers-buy-them.html

More nonsense stories. Brexit had nothing to do with allowing them to rebrand their fish. They could have done this at any time as the article shows when they rebranded other fish. :rolleyes:

We don't like that you are now importing rules on us as a third country so we are going to threaten to board your fishing vessels

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9238353/George-Eustice-warns-EU-Britain-tough-Brussels-doesnt-down.html

It's now that the everyday affects of Brexit are being seen by the UK government. They really did think the EU would just play ball with them and let them keep operating as if the are a part of the CU and SM but not have to follow any rules.

Now they're acting like spoilt children screaming the parents are being unfair for making them obey rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

'Digestive biscuits are missing, popcorn is missing, Walker's shortbread is missing, oatcakes are missing, various cheeses and milk.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9239909/British-shoppers-Europe-left-NO-custard-creams-Brexit-customs-chaos.html

Well ... importing Milk is a bit weird anyway, don't want any of that Foreign weird milk .. only British Milk. :pac:

I didn't even know this chain existed in Belgium,

M&S tried to make a go of it twice in the Netherlands and gave up a lot of it due to logistics issues and not being able to clear stock of fresh food quickly enough.

I didn't know M&S were selling food anymore, only saw them selling Clothes in Spain.

Expat shops are expensive anyways, you're better off going to the Indian Shops for your Pg Tips/Yorkshire Tea and Cadburys.

"Rebrand is aimed at drumming up more business in Britain in the wake of Brexit"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9239819/Cornish-fishermen-rebrand-catches-persuade-UK-customers-buy-them.html

More nonsense stories. Brexit had nothing to do with allowing them to rebrand their fish. They could have done this at any time as the article shows when they rebranded other fish. :rolleyes:
    Nothing wrong with selling locally, perhaps they should have started sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

We don't like that you are now importing rules on us as a third country so we are going to threaten to board your fishing vessels

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9238353/George-Eustice-warns-EU-Britain-tough-Brussels-doesnt-down.html

It's now that the everyday affects of Brexit are being seen by the UK government. They really did think the EU would just play ball with them and let them keep operating as if the are a part of the CU and SM but not have to follow any rules.

Now they're acting like spoilt children screaming the parents are being unfair for making them obey rules.

Ironic, how the default UK reaction to other countries enforcing the agreed rules, as is their right as sovereign nations, is ... to send in the gun-boats?

The UK (mother of parliaments, indeed) isn't really interested in the rule of law. In the UK status is displayed by being above the law. They want to flout international law whenever they like, and they want their elites like Boris and Cummings to visibly and brazenly be seen to be above the law. Maybe it's something they pick up subliminally in Public school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

One of the M&Ss in Paris has closed. Not sure if it's temporary until they get stock, or permanent.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with selling locally, perhaps they should have started sooner.

There isn't anything wrong with selling locally. Being in the EU wasn't preventing that.

Advertisement