Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jacob Rees-Mogg is a catholic and he's the one telling them to wait.

Why are parties who are currently talking with terrorist groups allowed to use terms like Guerrila warfare.

Because the DUP are the political equivalent of a tool for the Brexiters to use when necessary only to be discarded once they've fulfilled that purpose. Remember the meaningful votes when Jacob Rees-Mogg cited backing them up as a justification for voting down May's deal? That.

The Brexiters want to get rid of the NI protocol they agreed to but they're too cowardly to do it themselves so they've chosen to hide behind Arlene Foster again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

schmoo2k wrote: »
    So if the DUP are declaring "Guerrilla War" on article 16, isn't that equivalent to declaring "Guerrilla War" on Westminister and the UK government as a whole?

One would think so. And if one was involved in discussions about extending EU privileges to the UK/GB in respect of, say financial services, one would surely be tempted to point to Westminster's inability to enforce amicable compliance with the rules agreed to date as a good reason not to burden the UK with yet more EU-dictated regulations. :p

In the context of a government led by someone renowned for his reluctance to take a firm stance, this could well see the DUP turn a parochial molehill into a most inconvenient mountain for "mainland" GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Also, is Stormont still a thing? They haven't reformed the govt as far as I know.

Stormont has been semi-functional for about 14 months, power re-devolved.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Andrew Bridgen and a bunch of other MPs have written to David Frost requesting that a ban on EU bottled water be introduced because you can't trust those Europeans.
    His knowledge of the facts of the matter appear to be similar to his knowledge of entitlement to Irish passports.
    I also note a response to this tweet showing that the majority of England's water quality fails to meet good ecological status :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1365973245158187010

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A bit of symmetry in the exchange markets.

Exactly a year ago, March 1st 2010, GBP was at 86p = €1, and today it is 86p = €1.

In the meantime, it has been above 94p but not below 86p, and closed the year at 90p. Since then it has been on a steady climb in value. Obviously the markets are happy with either Brexit, Covid vaccinations, or the Gov spin with all their U turns and lies.

Who can tell - correction coming soon. March 19th, 2010,it was 94p - quite a rapid shift in just 19 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Exactly a year ago, March 1st 2010, GBP was at 86p = €1, and today it is 86p = €1.

I know the lockdown has made the last year seem timeless, but it's really affecting you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

A bit of symmetry in the exchange markets.

In the meantime, it has been above 94p but not below 86p, and closed the year at 90p. Since then it has been on a steady climb in value. Obviously the markets are happy with either Brexit, Covid vaccinations, or the Gov spin with all their U turns and lies.

Who can tell - correction coming soon. March 19th, 2010,it was 94p - quite a rapid shift in just 19 days.

Vaccines, there will be a lot of expected good news for markets if people are out and about and they believe vaccines will make this happen. A sick economy that is fully open is better than a healthy one that is partially closed, or at least that is how the markets would see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hurrache wrote: »
    I know the lockdown has made the last year seem timeless, but it's really affecting you :)

Financially - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Another story of an artist-type struggling with the rules post Brexit.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/28/theatre-designer-warns-of-obstacles-for-arts-workers-in-europe-post-brexit

I'm struggling a bit with this one.
    On the one hand he is a remainer who campaigned as such, and went on the marches in the years after the vote.

On the other hand he appears to also represent that bizarre level of British exceptionalism - he seems to be demanding a system where there'll be a single EU visa that he can apply for that will entitle him to pick up ad-hoc freelance work in any country. Not the way it's going to work with sovereign countries.

As for deciding that the best way to get from UK to Austria was a stop-over in Schiphol (presumably to save money over a direct flight) - not to mention apparently giving himself less than an hour to make his connecting flight. That's the sort of thing which is no longer going to be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/28/theatre-designer-warns-of-obstacles-for-arts-workers-in-europe-post-brexit

On the one hand he is a remainer who campaigned as such, and went on the marches in the years after the vote.

On the other hand he appears to also represent that bizarre level of British exceptionalism - he seems to be demanding a system where there'll be a single EU visa that he can apply for that will entitle him to pick up ad-hoc freelance work in any country. Not the way it's going to work with sovereign countries.

As for deciding that the best way to get from UK to Austria was a stop-over in Schiphol (presumably to save money over a direct flight) - not to mention apparently giving himself less than an hour to make his connecting flight. That's the sort of thing which is no longer going to be a runner.
    “I asked the official if ‘my passport is still the old EU type [with burgundy cover] can I use the gates?’ She laughed and said ‘I am afraid not, you have to have your papers checked’,” he said. “It was completely humiliating”.

Jesus Christ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Right now, that may have been the *only* way to get to Austria by air. And by land/rail isn't viable with a UK passport and special purpose visa.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tony Connelly is reporting that because of the process set up for payments under the Brexit Fund, recipients could find out afterwards that they may have to pay some of it back...
    The European Court of Auditors has raised concerns about how the EU's €5 billion Brexit fund will operate, suggesting that some member states may have to pay money back because so much of the fund is being paid out up front, and because of the risk of funding projects which might later turn out to be ineligible.

Ireland is by far the largest recipient of the Brexit Adjustment Reserve (BAR), receiving nearly one quarter of the first tranche, on the basis that it will be worst hit by Brexit.

Officials believe that because member states do not have to submit claims until September 2023, the scope for projects being turned down retroactively - and money having to be paid back - is significant.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0301/1200207-brexit-adjustment-reserve/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

L1011 wrote: »
    Right now, that may have been the *only* way to get to Austria by air. And by land/rail isn't viable with a UK passport and special purpose visa.

Ryanair, Wizz and Easyjet still seem to have (in total between them) one or two flights a day going London to Vienna. Prices generally quite low.
    In fairness to him he might not have been coming from London so a stop-over may have been more efficient if he was coming from Manchester/Yorkshire etc. Pity the article doesn't make that clear.

Also there seems to plenty of AMS-VIE flights each day with no shortage of seats, so not really sure why he had to wait 2 days for the next flight according to the article.

The whole thing just read strange to me - the Guardian clearly put it in as a sympathetic story, yet it came across almost like a 'luvvie-bait' article in the Express or Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

“I asked the official if ‘my passport is still the old EU type [with burgundy cover] can I use the gates?’ She laughed and said ‘I am afraid not, you have to have your papers checked’,” he said. “It was completely
    humiliating”.

I remember getting screamed at by Border control because my Irish Passport Card didn't work, the instructions clearly said "With Biometric Symbol" on the gate.

Spent 3 or 4 minutes calling me a moron while I stood there in silence and finally I said "are you done? I'm not really interested in a discussion I'd just like to move along"

"DON'T GET SMART THERE SUNSHINE MOVE ALONG"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Honestly I don't have any sympathy. This is what it means to be a third country, and the more the UK reports on it perhaps it might sink in. I have a Filipino colleague, who has lived and worked in Austria for 30 years, but retained his Filipino citizenship rather than getting Austrian citizenship (there's a work benefits reason for doing so), whereas his wife and children all have Austrian citizenship. He also has a diplomatic pass card issued by the Austrian government, and he is constantly having issues at Schiphol. I've had issues transitting through the US to Canada in the past. This is the nature of border controls to third countries.

And in relation to redcups post, I've had similar encounters with the border controls at Schiphol, the staff are quite...something at the best of times! And that was just transitting out of Schengen and onto Ireland, nevevr mind being non-EU. That gate setup they have is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ryanair, Wizz and Easyjet still seem to have (in total between them) one or two flights a day going London to Vienna. Prices generally quite low.
    In fairness to him he might not have been coming from London so a stop-over may have been more efficient if he was coming from Manchester/Yorkshire etc. Pity the article doesn't make that clear.

Also there seems to plenty of AMS-VIE flights each day with no shortage of seats, so not really sure why he had to wait 2 days for the next flight according to the article.

The whole thing just read strange to me - the Guardian clearly put it in as a sympathetic story, yet it came across almost like a 'luvvie-bait' article in the Express or Mail.

Amsterdam is (was) one of the UKs biggest *internal* transfer airport isn't it? I know on several occasions for myself or friends not living in London it was the preferred or only option when flying from one location in the UK to another, most Scottish destinations in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Amsterdam is (was) one of the UKs biggest *internal* transfer airport isn't it? I know on several occasions for myself or friends not living in London it was the preferred or only option when flying from one location in the UK to another, most Scottish destinations in particular.
    Until the UK copped on, a bit late in the day (months after the practice started), that the South African Covid variant was getting into the UK from returning Brit holiday makers, transiting via Schipol to bypass the "no direct flights from ZA" measures.

My mother-in-law's return flight, Lux-Manchester via Schipol (no direct flights to Manchester anymore) was summarily cancelled at short notice, as a result of Johnson and Hancock put the kibosh on NL flights the other week. That was the 2nd attempt at getting her home.

Brexit and Covid, in particular their latest interplay since 1st Jan with the BR/ZA/UK variants prompting emergency reconfinement measures here, there and everywhere on the Continent, have turned international (UK/EU27) travel into still more of a nightmare, lately.

We're driving my mother-in-law to Paris (200 miles away) this weekend, to catch a direct CDG-Manchester flight. 3rd attempt to "get her back home" in the past month or so, *this time* with the extra, non-refundable £210 UK test kit. Curfews notwithstanding. I'll print self-certs and we'll just have to wing it.

But then, Paris could end up getting reconfined by the weekend, due to ongoing variant-led infection surges. And thus, declared a red zone by the UK, meaning flights cancelled yet again. That is all, against a background of her tourist visa expiring at month end (90 days from 1st Jan).

I'm philosophical about it, note. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

QEPY1Ft.png

Brexit in one picture aint it

This is from a pet food company in UK preparing paperwork to export to EU now that they found themselves in a third country https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/lvh3hk/paperwork_required_to_send_a_single_order_to_eu/

If only I don't know they remained members of I dont know some sort of a club :cool:

One aspect brexiteers in their ideology havent thought through but if the EU does fall apart as per their expectations (any day now) then would that not mean even more different types of form filling depending on each individual country (in that countries language to boot)

Indeed. They expected some sort of special deal from the EU but not sure what they thought would happen to said special deal as soon as the EU fell apart as they also predicted.

So we've hit the 'Freedom Fries' part of the Brexit process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

One aspect brexiteers in their ideology havent thought through but if the EU does fall apart as per their expectations (any day now) then would that not mean even more different types of form filling depending on each individual country (in that countries language to boot)
    Found this on reddit thread for that topic but it honestly summarize the Brexit mindset soooo well as expressed in the headlines...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Can we move away from just pasting links here please? Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

ambro25 wrote: »
    My mother-in-law's return flight, Lux-Manchester via Schipol (no direct flights to Manchester anymore) was summarily cancelled at short notice...I'm philosophical about it, note. It is what it is.

Am I right in remembering you talking about your mother-in-law being a full on Brexiteer? How is she feeling about the whole thing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Am I right in remembering you talking about your mother-in-law being a full on Brexiteer? How is she feeling about the whole thing now?
    She was certainly taken in by the disinformation back in the day, and voted for it, no matter what we said and explained at the time.

I don't know for sure how she feels about it. She doesn't let on. Over time, it's become something that we don't talk about. Her, because she's too proud. Me, to keep the domestic/marital peace.

It does not matter, either in our small and personal scheme, or in the grander scheme of things. It is what it is, there is no 'reset' opportunity available anymore.

Mod: Can we move away from just pasting links here please? Thanks.

2 posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The argument that some in the UK are making around the fishing industry is getting more amusing.
    https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1366834934795624452?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Hurrache wrote: »
    The argument that some in the UK are making around the fishing industry is getting more amusing.
    https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1366834934795624452?s=19

I know Brexit has long passed the point of satire( so much of Brexit would be so unbelievable that it wouldn't even be credible as comedy) but how has the Conservative government got away with it? Where is the opposition? The situation linked while extremely funny is also scary because it appears that you have a politican caught telling lies. I know that many Brexiters will adopt this position or go down the no true Scotsman approach but how long can this last?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Guardian are reporting that the UK violated EU regulations by failing to inform their EU partners about criminal convictions for 8 years. involving over 112k criminals including over 200 murderers and rapists.

And they knew about their broken reporting system for the past 6 years but didn’t tell anyone because it might harm the UKs reputation

Do the words good riddance have more meaning?

https://amp.theguardian.com/law/2021/mar/02/uk-failed-to-inform-eu-countries-about-almost-200-killers-and-rapists

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

EU brings in repairable for 10 years law.
    New devices will also have to come with repair manuals and be made in such a way that they can be dismantled using conventional tools when they really can't be fixed anymore, to improve recycling.

This means UK manufacturers will have to comply for goods for sale to the EU

Shoddy UK journalist assumes the UK will implement the same laws for UK consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

EU brings in repairable for 10 years law.

This means UK manufacturers will have to comply for goods for sale to the EU

Shoddy UK journalist assumes the UK will implement the same laws for UK consumers.
    This is brilliant. One more baby step along the road to no more stupid proprietary screw heads that are designed only to stop owners from fixing/upgrading their own property

Next stop, preventing Manufacturers from deliberately making screws out of extra soft metals that shear easily without exactly sized and shaped proprietary tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think he's assuming that the UK government will implement the same law. He's just assuming that few or no UK manufacturers are producing exclusively for the home market and, if they want to sell into the EU, they'll have to make EU-compliant products. Economic realities dictate this, in other words; not legal rules.

The UK is a rule-taker now. This is one of the rules they have to take.

Advertisement