Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is a pretend football country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think this also applies to some GAA clubs that lease their facilities. They can't get government grants.

I suppose they have access to central grants from the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

I wonder how many LOI clubs actually own their own grounds. I know Cork City do not own Turner's Cross. It is leased from the Munster Senior League.

Flower Lodge (now Pairc ui Rinn) was home to Cork City for a few seasons but the GAA outbid them when it went up for sale (all sorts of funny business alleged). Sadly I am old enough to have watched Cork City play at Flower Lodge.

That' a good question. Galway Utd don't own Eamonn Deacy Park the Galway FA do. Shamrock Rovers don't own Tallaght Stadium. I don;t think Waterfrod own the RSC either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I stand corrected on the club ownership thing, still hard to imagine a scenario where Limerick GAA or Dublin GAA could sell either the Gaelic Grounds or Croke Park whereas the owners of the Market's Field or Glenmalure Park could (and did, despite fan protests).

The Markets Field was a greyhound stadium owned by the greyhound board and even before it closed Pat Grace and his disgraceful run in charge had already dragged Limerick around to different sites around the edge of town. It was bought for Limerick recently and I think owned by a trust

Also im not sure it is impossible to get grants if you don't own your ground. Pretty sure Ballynanty Rovers got money to buy their ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

cms88 wrote: »
    That' a good question. Galway Utd don't own Eamonn Deacy Park the Galway FA do. Shamrock Rovers don't own Tallaght Stadium. I don;t think Waterfrod own the RSC either

Waterford were always tenants , including RSC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Here's a trivia question, the answer to which reveals some uncomfortable truths about the state of Irish football at the moment.

On the occasion of the Greatest Day in Irish Footballing History (June 12th 1988, Stuttgart, Ireland's first match at the final stages of a major international tournament. Result: R o Ireland 1 England 0), which team's players had the greater number of League Championship medals?

And by league Championship I mean what was called the First Division in those days but is called the Premiership today.

The answer is: Ireland's, and by a country mile.

Of the 13 players each side used that day (including playing subs) each had four players who, AT THAT TIME, had English league championship medals.
    England had:
    Peter Shilton, Notts Forest 1978
    Gary Stevens, Everton, 1985, 1987
    John Barnes, Liverpool 1988
    Peter Beardsley, Liverpool 1988

Ireland had
    Kevin Sheedy, Everton 1985, 1987
    John Aldridge, Liverpool 1988
    Ray Houghton, Liverpool 1988
    Ronnie Whelan, Liverpool 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988

Nine English championship medals as opposed to five. Granted, some of the England team went on to win more titles subsequently but at the time the Irish team had the greater haul and also had the top scorer in the First Division that year. (Aldridge) Mind you, he hadn't yet scored for Ireland after 15 games and he wouldn't get off the mark until he had played another five.

And of course if you count the medals amassed by the three Celtic players on the Irish team you could add another six, albeit Scottish, League championship medals to the mix, one each from Mick McCarthy and Chris Morris and four from Packie Bonner. 15 league medals to five?? Three times as many!!

Think back: who were the last four Republic of Ireland internationals to win English Premiership medals? I'm thinking John O'Shea, Roy Keane, Dennis Irwin and then you'd probably have to go back to Damien Duff in 2006. Who was the last before that? Probably the Liverpool lads in the 1980s. Jeff Kenna played in the Blackburn team that won the title in 1995 but he joined late in the season (no transfer windows back then) and didn't play enough times to earn a medal.

Four medal winners on the one team in 1988; now you have to go back two decades to get as many.

The English league ain't for us any more.

"Ireland by a country mile" me ar$e. Both teams had 4 medal winners it's just Ronnie had more himself. I would call that a draw or a win on penalties at most

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Markets Field was a greyhound stadium owned by the greyhound board and even before it closed Pat Grace and his disgraceful run in charge had already dragged Limerick around to different sites around the edge of town. It was bought for Limerick recently and I think owned by a trust

Also im not sure it is impossible to get grants if you don't own your ground. Pretty sure Ballynanty Rovers got money to buy their ground

Market's field was originally owned by a private family afaik, was only sold to Bord na gCon in the 70's, iirc. My mother used to go cycle races there (showing my advanced age here). Eitherway, it highlights how poor the FAI have been at building their own stadia.

Here's a trivia question, the answer to which reveals some uncomfortable truths about the state of Irish football at the moment.

On the occasion of the Greatest Day in Irish Footballing History (June 12th 1988, Stuttgart, Ireland's first match at the final stages of a major international tournament. Result: R o Ireland 1 England 0), which team's players had the greater number of League Championship medals?

And by league Championship I mean what was called the First Division in those days but is called the Premiership today.

Of the 13 players each side used that day (including playing subs) each had four players who, AT THAT TIME, had English league championship medals.
    England had:

Ireland had

Nine English championship medals as opposed to five. Granted, some of the England team went on to win more titles subsequently but at the time the Irish team had the greater haul and also had the top scorer in the First Division that year. (Aldridge) Mind you, he hadn't yet scored for Ireland after 15 games and he wouldn't get off the mark until he had played another five.

And of course if you count the medals amassed by the three Celtic players on the Irish team you could add another six, albeit Scottish, League championship medals to the mix, one each from Mick McCarthy and Chris Morris and four from Packie Bonner. 15 league medals to five?? Three times as many!!

Think back: who were the last four Republic of Ireland internationals to win English Premiership medals? I'm thinking John O'Shea, Roy Keane, Dennis Irwin and then you'd probably have to go back to Damien Duff in 2006. Who was the last before that? Probably the Liverpool lads in the 1980s. Jeff Kenna played in the Blackburn team that won the title in 1995 but he joined late in the season (no transfer windows back then) and didn't play enough times to earn a medal.

Four medal winners on the one team in 1988; now you have to go back two decades to get as many.

Well it follows on from the fact England went to the 1986 WC with no Liverpool player in the squad...bearing in mind they had just won the double. That is quite incredible. Barnes and Beardsley followed afterwards.

And anyway...Whelan is the only Irish born player listed and even he played LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

England had:

Ireland had

Caoimhin Kellehar would be the last Irish player to win a league winners medal i'd have thought.

Iv'e always said with the players we had in 1988 and especially 1990 it was an underachievement not even reaching the semi's of either competition

Well it follows on from the fact England went to the 1986 WC with no Liverpool player in the squad...bearing in mind they had just won the double. That is quite incredible. Barnes and Beardsley followed afterwards.

And anyway...Whelan is the only Irish born player listed and even he played LOI.

That speaks volumes about the multinational make up of the Liverpool squad in those days, although back then multinational meant (for the most part) "from these islands".
    This is the Wikipedia listing of the Liverpool squad from that season.

Goalkeepers
    England Bob Bolder
    Zimbabwe Bruce Grobbelaar
    England Chris Pile

Defenders
    England Gary Ablett
    Republic of Ireland Jim Beglin
    Scotland Gary Gillespie
    Scotland Alan Hansen
    Scotland Steve Nicol
    England Alan Kennedy
    Republic of Ireland Mark Lawrenson
    Scotland John McGregor
    England Phil Neal (Joined Bolton in December 1985)

Midfielders
    Australia Craig Johnston
    England Sammy Lee
    Scotland Kevin MacDonald
    England Steve McMahon
    Denmark Jan Mølby
    England Mark Seagraves
    Scotland John Wark
    Republic of Ireland Ronnie Whelan

Attackers
    Wales Ian Rush
    Scotland Kenny Dalglish
    England Paul Walsh

23 players of whom 7 were Scottish, 3 Irish, 1 Welsh, 1 Zimbabwean, 1 Australian, 1 Dane and only 9 were English. Of those English one (Phil Neal) left before Christmas and several of the others were the sort of people that even those like myself who remember that era very well say..."Who?"
    Mark Seagraves?
    Bob Bolder?
    Chris Pile?
    Oh you mean "THE" Mark Seagraves!!!

Of the five remaining Alan Kennedy, Steve McMahon, Sammy Lee, Paul Walsh, Gary Ablett they were either very old (Kennedy) very young (McMahon, Ablett) or just not very good Walsh, Lee.
    Beardsley and Barnes weren't at Liverpool by then.

Far more eye raising was the reluctance of the Scottish national management to pick Liverpool players for its squad. They left out class players like Hansen and Gillespie and a proven work horse/goal scorer like John Wark. Fair enough, Dalglish was over the hill by then but the only Scottish player from Liverpool to make the world cup squad was Steve Nichol. Really?

Wonder what sort of chump was picking the Scottish team that year ;):D
    Alex Ferguson

Your point about Ronnie Whelan is taken. But in a way, that's what I'm saying. English teams won't groom Irish players any more unless they're seriously promising. And even if they do get over now, they have so much more competition to get into a squad. Better look elsewhere. Why not here?

• Advertisement

"Ireland by a country mile" me ar$e. Both teams had 4 medal winners it's just Ronnie had more himself. I would call that a draw or a win on penalties at most

Well if you add in the Scottish based players the list lengthens. I know nowadays that might cause a stifled snigger but remember this was the era of the "post Heysel ban" and English clubs were shut out of European competitions. So a lot of top English players went to Scotland. Terry Butcher, Trevor Steven, even Gazza for a while (later). Most of them to Rangers, but it did mean that the standard of the Scottish league was marginally higher back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

There is a piece in the RTE website this morning about LOI ground redevelopment and Dalymount is covered in it.

From a quick reading of it the redevelopment is not popular with some fans as it might take away from the character of the place.

Typical of the backward thinking from soccer fans.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0401/1207484-grounds-for-redevelopment-modernising-loi-stadiums/

If that is sports journalism I am King Tut. Woeful rubbish. Two of Sligo's stands are relatively new.

In terms of facilities Dalymount and Oriel have not got better since I first started going there as an away fan in the 80s. In other words they have regressed which speaks volumes.

There is also a lot of ill informed ideas here from people who dont actually go to games and so they should be ignored.

There was mention of some Scandinavian countries and their interest in the "best league in the world". Yes they may have an interest but they dont ignore their own league and I have seen that up close when Rovers played there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    If that is sports journalism I am King Tut. Woeful rubbish. Two of Sligo's stands are relatively new.

In terms of facilities Dalymount and Oriel have not got better since I first started going there as an away fan in the 80s. In other words they have regressed which speaks volumes.

There is also a lot of ill informed ideas here from people who dont actually go to games and so they should be ignored.

There was mention of some Scandinavian countries and their interest in the "best league in the world". Yes they may have an interest but they dont ignore their own league and I have seen that up close when Rovers played there.

One covered modern stand about 20 years old, and one unroofed seated section behind the goal, which is less than ten years old. The other stand is a bit ramshackle and needs replacing but a poorly researched article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I stand corrected on the club ownership thing, still hard to imagine a scenario where Limerick GAA or Dublin GAA could sell either the Gaelic Grounds or Croke Park whereas the owners of the Market's Field or Glenmalure Park could (and did, despite fan protests).

Dublin GAA do not own Croke Park.

All purchases or disposals of property by any unit must be approved by Central Council.

Wonder will the FAI get paid for it anyway.

If you don't then you'd imagine that's Dalymount canned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not sure if the FAI were putting anything towards it anyway. Was just a DCC project as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Breezin

There is a piece in the RTE website this morning about LOI ground redevelopment and Dalymount is covered in it.

From a quick reading of it the redevelopment is not popular with some fans as it might take away from the character of the place.

Typical of the backward thinking from soccer fans.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0401/1207484-grounds-for-redevelopment-modernising-loi-stadiums/

Typical? That is utter nonsense. Most Bohs fans are delighted with the plan for a new stadium, and can't wait to get it done.

Of course there is some nostalgia -- Dalymount is a wonderfully atmospheric place -- but that is natural and it certainly hasn't translated into opposition to the development.

The main issue that is raised with any frequency is that, given the recent success in filling the stadium before Covid, the new place will be too small!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

England = football
    Ireland = soccer

Wrong

F.A.I.

Football Association of Ireland

'Soccer' is for yanks and the GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Wrong

F.A.I.

Along with every other country that has their own indigenous code of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Wrong

F.A.I.

I don't get upset about the football/soccer thing-it's generally obvious from the context what sport people are talking about, but what's with this deluded insistence that nobody calls it soccer? We had "Soccer Republic" on RTÉ, and the FAI themselves use the term:

http://www.faischools.ie/interprovincial/news/2016/mar/wed/soccer-sports-scholarships
    https://www.fai.ie/domestic/fai-womens/aviva-soccer-sisters
    https://summersoccerschools.ie/home/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Both are fine. Context is key. Literally every team in this country has FC or AFC after it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Wrong

F.A.I.

And barstoolers

Wrong

F.A.I.

Did you really need to drag up this fight from page 2 on a 60 page thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I was bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was watching a programme on BBC Four at the weekend about mods and rockers fighting on English beaches in 1964.

There is one clip where they show rockers in a club and two are at a pinball machine called "Soccer", obviously a pinball machine themed on the sport.
    I was going to take a screen shot for this very thread, but decided not to as I thought it would be daft to bring up a fight from page 2 of a 60 page thread.

• Advertisement

I wonder where did the word "soccer" originated and how. Google time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Breezin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Both are fine. Context is key. Literally every team in this country has FC or AFC after it though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling football soccer.

What is absolutely wrong is having a policy, as is clearly the case at RTÉ sport, in insisting on never calling it football because that name is kept in sacred reserve for the annual procession in blue that is GAA.

I don't know how the now killed-off Soccer Republic managed it, but they, and the odd rogue insertion by Tony O'Donogue, were the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

It was called soccer first afaik.

Wrong

F.A.I.

What sport is played by Dublin University Football Club? or Lansdowne FC?

Most rugby clubs originating from the 19th century are called FC. Then they started to be called RUFC (rugby union football club) or RFC (rugby football club). It's only the more recent ones that have the suffix RC.
    (They're the ones that don't let protestants in :) )

Abbreviation of "Association Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What sport is played by Dublin University Football Club? or Lansdowne FC?

Most rugby clubs originating from the 19th century are called FC. Then they started to be called RUFC (rugby union football club) or RFC (rugby football club). It's only the more recent ones that have the suffix RC.
    (They're the ones that don't let protestants in :) )

Abbreviation of "Association Football.
    It isnt most rugby clubs founded in 19th century who are football clubs. Its only those who were founded before the IRFU were in 1879 with exceptions like Garryowen who call themselves FC despite being founded in 1884.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, mostly, use soccer just to differentiate it from Gaelic football. It’s just easier. For some weird reason people seem to think “soccer” is some sort of insult.

Maybe we should all go back to calling it “Association Football”?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1380459353115914240

Well this is good news, a step closer to reality, wish we didn't have to share with Shels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Well this is good news, a step closer to reality, wish we didn't have to share with Shels though.

Nor we with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Good step in the right direction, if they could get a few more stadiums like this around the country It would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

League of Ireland teams and other small countries were excluded from the CL qualifiers from 94/95 to 96/97.

Where were the protests and the media outrage back then?

League of Ireland teams and other small countries were excluded from the CL qualifiers from 94/95 to 96/97.

Where were the protests and the media outrage back then?

Do you have any info on that. Would love to know what their excuse was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good step in the right direction, if they could get a few more stadiums like this around the country It would be great.

Good stadia doesn't bring in the fans though... Limerick played in Thomond Park a few years ago on front of a couple of hundred people!

https://twitter.com/SaveTolkaPark/status/1384190263506051085?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

When I started following LOI Tolka could hold about 10,000 and Dalymount about 15,000. This is been traded in for one 6000 seat stadium that is going to cost north of €35million.
    Something is not adding up.

dan1895 wrote: »
    When I started following LOI Tolka could hold about 10,000 and Dalymount about 15,000. This is been traded in for one 6000 seat stadium that is going to cost north of €35million.
    Something is not adding up.

They don't hold 10/15k anymore because they are falling down. Parts are literally condemned. Comparisons to Limerick though is wrong as Thomond Park was always temporary and Limericks issues with fan numbers is very different to the Dublin clubs

I completely understand Shells not wanting to move to a rival ground. Would be different maybe if it was a new stadium for both with no history

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Just my take on the 'soccer' and 'football' terms.

It's not just us. In Australia, Aussie Rules is 'football', in America NFL is 'football'. Yes, they've taken the word and used it for their one games.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2017/03/history-of-the-word-soccer/#:~:text=The%20word%20%E2%80%9Csoccer%E2%80%9D%20originated%20in,of%20the%20word%20%E2%80%9Cassociation%E2%80%9D.

According to this, it all started in England to differentiate rugby and football.

The word “soccer” originated in England, and was originally used to differentiate association football from its rugby cousin. Just as rugby football was shortened to “rugger”, the game of association football became known as “soccer” thanks to a shortening of the word “association”.

You learn something new every day.

• Advertisement

They don't hold 10/15k anymore because they are falling down. Parts are literally condemned.

I know that but the point is there is the physical space there for those capacities and really would it cost €35 million to bring both grounds up to a decent standard suitable for the league of Ireland. Keep in mind the new Dalymount isn't suitable for group stage european football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Just my take on the 'soccer' and 'football' terms.

It's not just us. In Australia, Aussie Rules is 'football', in America NFL is 'football'. Yes, they've taken the word and used it for their one games.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2017/03/history-of-the-word-soccer/#:~:text=The%20word%20%E2%80%9Csoccer%E2%80%9D%20originated%20in,of%20the%20word%20%E2%80%9Cassociation%E2%80%9D.

According to this, it all started in England to differentiate rugby and football.

The word “soccer” originated in England, and was originally used to differentiate association football from its rugby cousin. Just as rugby football was shortened to “rugger”, the game of association football became known as “soccer” thanks to a shortening of the word “association”.

You learn something new every day.

It's even more diluted than that.

In NSW and Queensland "football" or "footie" is Rugby League.
    In Victoria or South Australia "football" or "footie" is AFL.

I know that but the point is there is the physical space there for those capacities and really would it cost €35 million to bring both grounds up to a decent standard suitable for the league of Ireland. Keep in mind the new Dalymount isn't suitable for group stage european football.

Suitable for LOI and suitable for the Champions League are incompatible it it's capacity that's the issue.

I know it's a few years back now but Tallaght cost €12 million so 35 seems like a reasonable estimate to refurbish the other 2

Suitable for LOI and suitable for the Champions League are incompatible it it's capacity that's the issue.

I know it's a few years back now but Tallaght cost €12 million so 35 seems like a reasonable estimate to refurbish the other 2

Yes 35 million for the refurbishment of two stadia isn't bad. However the reality is that is the current cost for the refurbishment of one with the other being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Do you have any info on that. Would love to know what their excuse was

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_UEFA_Champions_League
    24 teams entered the competition: the UEFA Champions League holders, AC Milan, as well as 23 best-ranked national champions according to UEFA club ranking. The title holders and other 7 best-ranked national champions received a bye to the group stage, while the national champions ranked 9–24 entered in the qualifying round. The remaining national champions were only allowed to participate in UEFA cup.

They expanded the CL from 2 groups to 4 that season. That was the excuse at the time. Too many fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Who thinks Ireland is a football country? Except a couple of a delusional Irish fans nobody equates Ireland with football.

Croatia is roughly the same size as Ireland has produced both much better domestic & international teams, and besides a very small handful of players like Keane, Irwin & McGrath we've had to nick our best players from England & our best managers from England & Italy, and our best football pundits of a floor in a Dublin pub.

Good stadia doesn't bring in the fans though... Limerick played in Thomond Park a few years ago on front of a couple of hundred people!

Good luck with the campaign, hate to see community infrastructure ripped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem with Dalymount too is it’s location. Every stand and terrace backs onto residential properties at very close quarters too.

I’d say there would be some disagreement amongst traditionalists but I think Bohs should have left Dalymount.

The stadium is not fit for purpose. The redesign and upgrade leaves it with greater comfort but ...capacity still under that as required by UEFA to hold European games which I believe is 9,000.. Stephen Kenny who I wouldn’t often agree with but a former Bohs man agrees...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/dalymount-park-plans-show-lack-17023815

A lack of ambition is 100% accurate...

Moving to Aviva for European games is a cod...a giveaway of home advantage, a carnivorous stadium with 15000-20000 people maybe...does nada for atmosphere. 35-45% of capacity.

Pity the government(s) wouldn’t back football even to a small extent the governments have backed the gaa.

Agree Lansdowne would be a disaster unless you were playing one of the really big European sides. Dublin teams would be much better off in the RDS if it came to it

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem with Dalymount too is it’s location. Every stand and terrace backs onto residential properties at very close quarters too.

I’d say there would be some disagreement amongst traditionalists but I think Bohs should have left Dalymount.

The stadium is not fit for purpose. The redesign and upgrade leaves it with greater comfort but ...capacity still under that as required by UEFA to hold European games which I believe is 9,000.. Stephen Kenny who I wouldn’t often agree with but a former Bohs man agrees...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/dalymount-park-plans-show-lack-17023815

A lack of ambition is 100% accurate...

Moving to Aviva for European games is a cod...a giveaway of home advantage, a carnivorous stadium with 15000-20000 people maybe...does nada for atmosphere. 35-45% of capacity.

Pity the government(s) wouldn’t back football even to a small extent the governments have backed the gaa.

Very hard to build new stadia on the footprint of the old ones in urban areas but in general I prefer to see them stay where they are embedded in the community. A 6,000 seater stadium seems very small for both clubs requirements though, is there going to be any scope to expand beyond that once this project is completed?

While Government backing for infrastructure would be great, do we really trust the FAI to manage any such infrastructure?

Advertisement