Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick -> Public Library -> Overdrive?

Options
  • 17-01-2021 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

For mildly mysterious reasons I'm interested in getting access to overdrive. It is done via local public library that has a partnership with overdrive. According to the search engine from their official website, only Dublin and Cork has libraries in that category - can access overdrive.

I'm waiting for a reply from the Central Library (Dublin - Ilac Center) about my dormant account I opened with them over a decade ago.

Is anyone in the same boat trying to find (or already established) a way to use overdrive in Ireland?

My two concerns are:
    - can I keep or/and apply for a library card from outside of Limerick (where I currently live)?
    - can I apply via my local branch (once and if I go that route), if I can't get access directly to Central one for example?

If no to both has anyone found the way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

While the librarys are closed you can join up online & access overdrive - also download libby & borrowbox apps.

You will have to call into the library at some stage when it opens to confirm, they should be able to merge your dormant account then.

I'm a member of DLR library, I'm assuming it works the same nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pirron

While the librarys are closed you can join up online & access overdrive - also download libby & borrowbox apps.

You will have to call into the library at some stage when it opens to confirm, they should be able to merge your dormant account then.

I'm a member of DLR library, I'm assuming it works the same nationwide

Thanks! That's what I did and everything works as you described except that my old account expired already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tried signing up there, it looks to be available to Dublin libraries at the moment, considering all the libraries are linked now can I still sign up with my Limerick card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho

Tried signing up there, it looks to be available to Dublin libraries at the moment, considering all the libraries are linked now can I still sign up with my Limerick card?

https://lgma.iii.com/selfreg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

The days of being a member of a specific library are gone. If you have a current library card you are a member of every library. All online material is national, not local.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a great service, especially for children. You can also sign up for loads of magazines subs and other stuff, i think there was a great thread in Bargain Alerts about all the benefits

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The local school just sent this out, might be on interest to some here

https://www.librariesireland.ie/news/online-services-during-coronavirus

This is the BA thread, might be something of interest to someone here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Clareman wrote: »
    It's a great service, especially for children. You can also sign up for loads of magazines subs and other stuff, i think there was a great thread in Bargain Alerts about all the benefits

This 100%
    The kids love it
    They regularly have story time updates with the staff reading and dressing up as Santa or dance classes etc
    Libraries are bloody brilliant for Kids

• Advertisement
Advertisement