Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 [Mod notes in OP - Updated 29.01.21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Congratulations Brighton you deserve the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Awful miss by connolly. Wheels falling off Spurs?

Beginning of the end for Mourinho I feel. Spurs look lifeless as a team. He'll be gone by the summer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Once Again

Zki6LEk.gif

This place is absolute filth with Liverpool and Man United at the top level again.

Stupid dig after stupid dig from both sides, just one moronic post after another. F**king hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Son Heung-min deserves better than Mourinho & Spurs imo.

He would be more than welcome at Liverpool under Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Week 21 Highlights
    Everton V Newcastle

Palace V Wolves

Man City V Sheff Utd

West Brom V Fulham

Arsenal V Man Utd

Southampton V Villa

Chelsea V Burnley

Leicester V Leeds

West Ham V Liverpool

Brighton V Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

44 Man City (20 & 98)
    41 Man Utd (21 & 92)
    40 Liverpool (21 & 91)
    39 Leicester (21 & 90)
    35 West Ham (21 & 86)
    33 Spurs (20 & 87) Chelsea (21 & 84) Everton (19 & 90)
    32 Villa (19 & 89)
    31 Arsenal (21 & 82)
    29 Southampton (20 & 83) Leeds (20 & 83)
    26 Palace (21 & 77)
    23 Wolves (21 & 74)
    22 Newcastle (21 & 73) Burnley (20 & 76)
    21 Brighton (21 & 72)
    14 Fulham (20 & 68)
    12 WBA (21 & 63)
    8 Sheff Utd (21 & 59)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Not to tag the whole table but what do the second numbers in brackets represent. I know first 1 is games played but whats the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Not to tag the whole table but what do the second numbers in brackets represent. I know first 1 is games played but whats the other

Max points available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Games played and max league points available

• Advertisement

Leicester lose where many said they would win.
    Manchester United draw where many said they would win.
    Spurs lose where many said they would win.
    Liverpool win when many said they would lose.

I love football :)

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Leicester lose where many said they would win.
    Manchester United draw where many said they would win.
    Spurs lose where many said they would win.
    Liverpool win when many said they would lose.

I love football :)

Spurs loss is a massive upset, fair play to Brighton.
    Haven't read the thread but did many think Liverpool would lose. Always going to be in it no matter the injury list that people will throw at ye.

United draw against an in form arsenal is not the worst result for us. Sheffield result was worse for us but a draw at arsenal ill happily take. Arteta starting to get his house together.

Haven't read the thread but did many think Liverpool would lose. Always going to be in it no matter the injury list that people will throw at ye.

United draw against an in form arsenal is not the worst result for us. Sheffield result was worse for us but a draw at arsenal ill happily take. Arteta starting to get his house together.

Arsenal were missing Aubameyang, Saka & Tierney. They are 8th in the table.

Manchester United are in their best form in 7/8 years, full strength & they are 2nd on the table.

I'm sorry but Manchester United should have beaten Arsenal.

Liverpool in the worst form in years & West Ham in their best form in years.

Liverpool were missing Fabinho, Gomez, Jota, Keita, Mane, Matip, & VVD.

I'm sorry but West Ham should be doing better than getting hammered off the pitch like they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Manchester United are in their best form in 7/8 years & they are 2nd on the table.

I'm sorry but West Ham should be doing better than getting hammered off the pitch like they were.

So what you're saying is, Liverpool were missing one player?

>.>

Manchester United are in their best form in 7/8 years, full strength & they are 2nd on the table.

Bar the Southampton result in the fa cup Arsenal haven't lost a game in the league since 19th of December. 5 wins on the bounce till the United draw. They are in form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think it's more that the chance of Liverpool losing to West Ham was far higher than it would have been last season, or even 6 weeks ago. Fear of a loss more than an expectation of a loss would be my personal opinion.

There were games previous where usually Liverpool fans could say with confidence that they expect a win, but that wasn't the case today IMO. Because of the injury list, the previous Liverpool form since Christmas and great form of West Ham - 4 wins in a row. And as with is football, confidence in Liverpool is high now after 2 wins in a row so that changes for the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why is Micah Richards on BBC MOTD2?

Did he not get a weekend game with sky, surprising given there was so many live games on.

Apart from a big goofy laugh, what does he offer as a pundit?

Esse85 wrote: »

Did he not get a weekend game with sky, surprising given there was so many live games on.

Is he the new Kevin Kilbane who was on everything last year and now isn’t on anything even gone from Off the Ball.

Bar the Southampton result in the fa cup Arsenal haven't lost a game in the league since 19th of December. 5 wins on the bounce till the United draw. They are in form

They had Aubameyang, Saka & Tierney available to them in all of those games bar the Southampton game where Aubameyang & Tierney weren't available but Saka still was.

Of all the teams that had to play Arsenal since the 19th of December, United got them at their most vulnerable & weakest.

A draw would have been a decent result had Arsenal those 3 excellent players involved yesterday, but they didn't.

It was a poor result for a full strength United side who were playing a significantly weakened Arsenal team.

I think you should be more ambitious as a supporter of Manchester United Football Club to be honest.

If you're happy with the last 7/8 years then fair enough, but there comes a time where you have to aim higher.

Especially given most of the talk this month has been Manchester United being title contenders.

Is he the new Kevin Kilbane who was on everything last year and now isn’t on anything even gone from Off the Ball.

Appearing on Sky one week and the BBC the next is farcical.

• Advertisement

Appearing on Sky one week and the BBC the next is farcical.

Also on CBS for the Champions League.

Something Suker-esque about the second Salah goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

never seen a season where relegation looks done and dusted by January - can anyone see Fulham or West Brom coming back after this weekends results ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Ben Mee not looking up to much there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

thebaz wrote: »
    never seen a season where relegation looks done and dusted by January - can anyone see Fulham or West Brom coming back after this weekends results ?

Was hoping we might get a decent relegation battle but looks unlikely. The form of the bottom three has actually improved lately. Problem is the sides just above them (Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, etc) have all been picking up wins themselves.

Was hoping we might get a decent relegation battle but looks unlikely. The form of the bottom three has actually improved lately. Problem is the sides just above them (Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, etc) have all been picking up wins themselves.

Yeah, the teams above just look to have enough about them.

Fulham and WBA look just awful. Sheff Utd are a better team than where they are in my opinion, but they have just too much to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bit mad that rhe top is so relatively tight when the botton is done and dustef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kilbane moved to Canada a year ago - probably planned that he would still pick up bits and bobs of tv work over here but with no travel allowed that's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Racial quota is the likeliest answer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/22/black-lives-matter-bbc-introduces-diversity-quota-pledges-100m/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is it actually though? Standard of football punditry is abysmal across the board. Micah Richards is an awful pundit but you just have to look across BT, BBC and Sky alike to see that being a minority is not a requirement to maintain a job in punditry or commentary.

Yes it is clear that there is a recent trend towards bringing in more minority pundits but a) Richards was a pundit before this started to become more of a thing and b) it was probably weirder how low the percentage of minority pundits was before they started doing it. Nobody can convince me that the likes of Redknapp, McManaman and Danny Murphy have kept jobs in that industry because it was previously a meritocracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

'Racial quota' really is such a negative phrase, pure Telegraph.

The TV companies seem to consistently employ ex-EPL/England footballers to give terrible analysis. Why wouldn't a decent percentage of them be black given that a sizeable percentage of English footballers are black?

His cv (played for two big English clubs, won the EPL, 20 odd caps for England, speaks mainly nonsense) is exactly what they seem to want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

CSF wrote: »
    Is it actually though? Standard of football punditry is abysmal across the board. Micah Richards is an awful pundit but you just have to look across BT, BBC and Sky alike to see that being a minority is not a requirement to maintain a job in punditry or commentary.

No argument there, the standard of punditry across the board is rubbish, its constantly being dumbed down.
    Yes it is clear that there is a recent trend towards bringing in more minority pundits
    BBC and Sky are really pushing the diversity agenda over the last year, its plain to see.
    Richards was a pundit before this started to become more of a thing
    He was a pundit but he wasnt getting anywhere as much airtime.
    it was probably weirder how low the percentage of minority pundits was before they started doing it.

3.3% of the UK population is Black so you could argue that 1 in 30 pundits being Black would be a fair percentage.
    The TV companies seem to consistently employ ex-EPL/England footballers to give terrible analysis. Why wouldn't a decent percentage of them be black given that a sizeable percentage of English footballers are black?

The question asked wasnt why is Micah Richards a pundit, the question asked was why was he on MOTD2 and Sky in the same week and I gave the likeliest answer.
    A quota has to be filled and he is the current flavour of the month.

No argument there, the standard of punditry across the board is rubbish, its constantly being dumbed down.

BBC and Sky are really pushing the diversity agenda over the last year, its plain to see.

He was a pundit but he wasnt getting anywhere as much airtime.

3.3% of the UK population is Black so you could argue that 1 in 30 pundits being Black would be a fair percentage.

I’ve no idea why you would refer to the UK population rather than the percentage of people who play football in the UK. Other than presenters or the Martin Tyler types, they’re the only demographic that come into consideration when analysing who might become a pundit. So I believe it’s about 30% of that demographic.

So I don’t believe them clearly intentionally bringing in black pundits has skewed outside of that percentage, in what was never a meritocracy in the first place.

Kind of feels like you just picked the stat that worked best for the point you wanted to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

CSF wrote: »
    I’ve no idea why you would refer to the UK population rather than the percentage of people who play football in the UK.

Is there not more people who watch football without playing it? It’s probably the biggest spectator sport in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sure we will.
    They are flying for the past 6 in particular while our form is....
    They actually go above us with a win.

YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Liam O wrote: »
    Fair play to Liverpool. Could barely find 11 players to tog out, had to play 1 player out of position and managed to pull the result out of the bag against all odds.

and its just great ain't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This thread is a joke, so a black man can't do well and it's down to racial quotas?

This forum is sickening. Richards brings a lot of energy, he's funny and he has a few anecdotes too, and I've not seen any pudit last long that tries to talk logic, Neville tried it but that didn't last long, now he's even resorted to calling out players on Twitter.

The only decent one was Mourinho, his insight to the game was so many levels above anything I could imagine. People don't want that, they want to hear simpler explanations like needs more Heart etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They’re not really tied in to any station, they’re all contractors. If they’re not on Sky then they’ll be on BeIn or Supersports or some other international service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This thread is a joke, so a black man can't do well and it's down to racial quotas?

This forum is sickening. Richards brings a lot of energy, he's funny and he has a few anecdotes too, and I've not seen any pudit last long that tries to talk logic, Neville tried it but that didn't last long, now he's even resorted to calling out players on Twitter.

The only decent one was Mourinho, his insight to the game was so many levels above anything I could imagine. People don't want that, they want to hear simpler explanations like needs more Heart etc

Agreed, it also ignores the fact that Liam Rosenior is/was the best pundit out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I can only watch football debates on SSN for minutes a time. It makes here look like a place of enlightenment. I don't know where they get these guys from, paid a fortune to talk a load of guff.

• Advertisement

Was he dumped from Off the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Is there not more people who watch football without playing it? It’s probably the biggest spectator sport in the world.

How many pundits do they recruit from the general population Vs ex footballers?

Must keep an eye on LinkedIn and throw my hat in the ring next time........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

6 wrote: »
    Was he dumped from Off the ball?

Left it I'd say. Fell in love with his dance partner from dancing on ice and moved to Canada with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

have to say i really enjoy Michah Richards and Roy Keane when they are on set together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sky desperate to get some interest in "DEADLINE DAY" and are now linking all CB's with Liverpool. Granted Davies likely will happen but Sky now claiming Liverpool are looking at Kabak and Duleta-Car aswell :pac:

Seems Maitland Niles on loan to midtable team might be the biggest deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sky desperate to get some interest in "DEADLINE DAY" and are now linking all CB's with Liverpool. Granted Davies likely will happen but Sky now claiming Liverpool are looking at Kabak and Duleta-Car aswell :pac:

Seems Maitland Niles on loan to midtable team might be the biggest deal.

Did AMN not sign a new contract during the summer?

Steyr 556 wrote: »

There probably is, but us ordinary folk can’t become pundits on English TV really as much as we all think we would be better at it!!

It’s an ex-footballers gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So white person who is rubbish like Carragher, Redknapp etc are fine but if it's a rubbish black person it's a racial quota?

RasTa wrote: »
    So white person who is rubbish like Carragher, Redknapp etc are fine but if it's a rubbish black person it's a racial quota?
    Haha, I actually like Carragher but agree with your general point

RasTa wrote: »

Carragher is far from a rubbish pundit, in fact he's excellent.
    I'd find it strange if I saw him on MOTD but I could understand it more as he's excellent at his job, I would not say Richards is excellent at his job.

Agreed with another poster on Liam Rosenior, one of my favourite pundits to watch, think he's involved in coaching with Derby and I can't remember the last time I saw him as a pundit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement