Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 [Mod notes in OP - Updated 29.01.21]

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally I think Richards is an awful pundit so is Redknapp , although Richards seems like a sound lad he seems to be there for the comic value ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Anybody who keeps Tim Cahill away from MOTD is ok in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think Jermaine Jenas is awful. Just says generic nothingness or is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think that Richards is a poor pundit but him being there has nothing to do with race. Most pundits are ****e and most pundits are white. Tim Sherwood, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, Robbie Savage etc are all terrible pundits as well. At least Richards had a lot to add and spoke well during the BLM protests which were a huge part of the post lockdown zeitgeist in the PL. What are the other lads adding other than banality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Micah Richards is there because of a different quota - laughs!

Seriously, it's about club based cohorts.

For years Man Utd heads moaned (with some justification) about the sheer ubiquity of ex Liverpool players as talking heads. Over the last 10 years there's been an increase of ex Utd players as the Fergie-era retired. But now the hunt is on for ex City players to keep that small but noisy fanbase happy. Also helps that he is English. Look at the most featured and they are home grown ex professionals with a sprinkling of Anglo speaking foreigners like Cahill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think the age profile of boards is on show by the Micah Richards stuff :) The whole dynamic of him and Keane is heavily played on social media by Richards and seems to attract a younger audience. Richards is funny in parts albeit not hugely insightful as a pundit.

Start typing Micah Richards into Google and Roy Keane is the first suggestion. It is a play to bring in younger viewers and nothing to do with race why he is doing so well IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I find Micha's laugh very contagious. Just so fully of happiness!

He's also one of those players who you always say the full name of. Never hear people call him Richards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Micah Richards is a terrible pundit however he seems really good genuine guy that everyone would love to be working with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This thread is a joke, so a black man can't do well and it's down to racial quotas?

That wasn't what I said.
    So white person who is rubbish like Carragher, Redknapp etc are fine but if it's a rubbish black person it's a racial quota?

I didn't say that either.

Sky and BBC are trying to increase the diversity of their output, thats not a secret, its common knowledge.
    We are in a pandemic so that means most of the pundits will have to be UK based so that narrows down the selection quite a bit.
    Micah Richards is high profile at the moment so he is getting alot of work, good for him.
    Personally I think Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is a decent pundit and I'd much prefer to see him more.
    Most pundits are ****e and most pundits are white. Tim Sherwood, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, Robbie Savage etc are all terrible pundits as well. At least Richards had a lot to add and spoke well during the BLM protests which were a huge part of the post lockdown zeitgeist in the PL. What are the other lads adding other than banality?

Agreed.
    Punditry seems to be about having banter now, a few laughs with the lads, especially BT.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I find Micha's laugh very contagious. Just so fully of happiness!

Indeed.

My favourite part is at 1:27 when Keane is visibly disgusted at Villa celebrating escaping relegation & Micah Lincoln Richards is laughing his head off.

He's also one of those players who you always say the full name of. Never hear people call him Richards.

Indeed.

Micah Lincoln Richards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That wasn't what I said.

Sky and BBC are trying to increase the diversity of their output, thats not a secret, its common knowledge.
    We are in a pandemic so that means most of the pundits will have to be UK based so that narrows down the selection quite a bit.
    Micah Richards is high profile at the moment so he is getting alot of work, good for him.
    Personally I think Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is a decent pundit and I'd much prefer to see him more.

So if they have to have a black guy, have the black guy you prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think the age profile of boards is on show by the Micah Richards stuff :) The whole dynamic of him and Keane is heavily played on social media by Richards and seems to attract a younger audience. Richards is funny in parts albeit not hugely insightful as a pundit.

Start typing Micah Richards into Google and Roy Keane is the first suggestion. It is a play to bring in younger viewers and nothing to do with race why he is doing so well IMO

5live have gone down this road very consciously, the result is that it's Banter FM in the Saturday and Sunday shows that build up to their live game while Talksport has the match that is current playing. Personally I find it like listening to a local community station rather than the premier news and sport station in Britain so I have stopped listening but I'm old now. If I were 20 I might well think it great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sky desperate to get some interest in "DEADLINE DAY" and are now linking all CB's with Liverpool. Granted Davies likely will happen but Sky now claiming Liverpool are looking at Kabak and Duleta-Car aswell :pac:

Seems Maitland Niles on loan to midtable team might be the biggest deal.

Scratch above. Maybe some mildly interesting deal. Mustafi set to move to Schalke which means Kabak may well join Liverpool after all.

More fun.

Romano has tweeted a "top 6 club" is offering Diego Costa a contract. Must be Spurs/West Ham? Both are in desperate need of another striker.

Sky desperate to get some interest in "DEADLINE DAY" and are now linking all CB's with Liverpool. Granted Davies likely will happen but Sky now claiming Liverpool are looking at Kabak and Duleta-Car aswell :pac:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1356219269957169152?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Indeed.

My favourite part is at 1:27 when Keane is visibly disgusted at Villa celebrating escaping relegation & Micah Lincoln Richards is laughing his head off.

I think he works brilliantly with Keane - punters are either good or bad , regardless of race and some of it is just personal taste - I loved Eamon D and Ruud G as pundits, I also think Danny Murphy is too and many disagree

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Scratch above. Maybe some mildly interesting deal. Mustafi set to move to Schalke which means Kabak may well join Liverpool after all.

More fun.

Romano has tweeted a "top 6 club" is offering Diego Costa a contract. Must be Spurs/West Ham? Both are in desperate need of another striker.

Costa - Has to be Jose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dcully wrote: »
    Costa - Has to be Jose?

Thats my though with Kane gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

More fun.

Could be Leicester? Vardy is out for a while isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

5live have gone down this road very consciously, the result is that it's Banter FM in the Saturday and Sunday shows that build up to their live game while Talksport has the match that is current playing. Personally I find it like listening to a local community station rather than the premier news and sport station in Britain so I have stopped listening but I'm old now. If I were 20 I might well think it great.

I'm in the same boat - really used to enjoy 5 live. I reckon I'm not the target market anymore as I can't listen to much of it any more. That pre match stuff on Saturday and Sunday is awful

• Advertisement

Costa rejected the offer according to sky there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Unfortunately the way people engage is changing significantly, TV and radio is moving towards a younger market as the guys in our age bracket start to move onto other pastures or are removed from the listening/viewing population. I have a 16 and an 18 year old an they and their mates spends as much time watching people react to other people as they do watching things happen. They then take that approach into the world and their mates engage in the same way. I have heard members of their peer groups in the past saying that they were not going to watch the game as they would just catch the goals on twitter. Short quickly consumable pieces are what is being pumped out now that can be put on youtube or condensed into a highlights podcast. Personally I despair that all football commentary in future will be heading toward the type of thing you are more likely to see on AFTV..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That wasn't what I said.

Agreed.
    Punditry seems to be about having banter now, a few laughs with the lads, especially BT.

It's exactly what you said. You are juding those pundits on the colour of their skin and not what they are saying

Racism

Unfortunately the way people engage is changing significantly, TV and radio is moving towards a younger market as the guys in our age bracket start to move onto other pastures or are removed from the listening/viewing population. I have a 16 and an 18 year old an they and their mates spends as much time watching people react to other people as they do watching things happen. They then take that approach into the world and their mates engage in the same way. I have heard members of their peer groups in the past saying that they were not going to watch the game as they would just catch the goals on twitter. Short quickly consumable pieces are what is being pumped out now that can be put on youtube or condensed into a highlights podcast. Personally I despair that all football commentary in future will be heading toward the type of thing you are more likely to see on AFTV..

I'm 28 and would put myself in to ' Clips on twitter' category. Mostly due to time. People have a lot more interests now and the internet is a big ol place so always things to do. To me it's no different than MOTD. Except I don't have to listen to the presentators/pundits talk nonsense.

Twitch/AFTV/Gogglebox etc changed how people watched things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's how the likes of Pogba became a huge star, marketable lad, a clothes horse for sportswear companies, generally contributes SFA but will intervene spectacularly at times with a monster goal, flick, turn or something that catches the eye. Very marketable online, and more than paying his way at MUFC as a result, very clever.
    The anthesis of Johnny Giles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I'm 28 and would put myself in to ' Clips on twitter' category. Mostly due to time. People have a lot more interests now and the internet is a big ol place so always things to do. To me it's no different than MOTD. Except I don't have to listen to the presentators/pundits talk nonsense.

Twitch/AFTV/Gogglebox etc changed how people watched things.

And that is fine as well but I will always watch a game if it is on, particularly if it is my team, if I have no time then I will look to plan better or prioritise so that I can at least see my own teams game. Then again I was brought up going to games, without a mobile phone and still regularly go to watch football be it at academy, grassroots, pro/semi pro level. I suppose that will be thw way of it and at some point football may suffer as a consequence, american football is set up almost exactly like that, game is on for hours but every minute or less it stops and people can get on their phone watch a clip etc, wonder if I shoudl bang up an anonymous poll just to get an understanding of how people consume their football now, I would be interested in the outcome, would probably as you say lean more towards your method of consumption than it has in the past but I would be confident that some auld heads like meself would still rather watch a game than just catch the highlights on match of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

The reality is the average IQ of a football pundit strong reflects the average IQ of an average footballl fan, and it's not exactly high.

Augme wrote: »
    The reality is the average IQ of a football pundit strong reflects the average IQ of an average footballl fan, and it's not exactly high.

I think that post says more about your IQ than anything mate. Comparing footballers to the average fan is nuts.

A lot of footballers drop out of school etc don't go to college and know nothing else. To compare that to people who finished school went to college/ work is completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Ah, I see it as, the choice of some pundits on television reflects what the producers think viewers want to see. Somewhere between shrewd analysis and top bantz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

More fun.

Paddy Power reckons it actually Arsenal, based on this tweet!!!
    "Arsenal could move for free agent Diego Costa with the player fulfilling the club's key criteria of being both a former Chelsea player, and way past his best."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Arteta should get some credit for clearing the decks at Arsenal ,
    Ozil , Mustafi and Sokratis gone and probably a few more come the summer he can start to build his own squad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sky have a black pundit to show diversity on pretty much every panel now. Richards is a **** pundit but seems a nice fella and has a good chemistry with the panel. The only one who remotely interested me lately was Mourinho, he actually analysed the game.

rob316 wrote: »
    Sky have a black pundit to show diversity on pretty much every panel now. Richards is a **** pundit but seems a nice fella and has a good chemistry with the panel. The only one who remotely interested me lately was Mourinho, he actually analysed the game.

Jose was excellent on BEIN sports before the sky gig,as you say proper analysis.
    I actually felt bad for disliking him as a manager :D
    I think Wenger was there with him, also excellent.

Is that something that has been studied, or your own opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RasTa wrote: »
    It's exactly what you said. You are juding those pundits on the colour of their skin and not what they are saying

Racism

That's some jump, having an opinion now makes you racist.

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's some jump, having an opinion now makes you racist.

Why do people say this?

Yes a certain opinion can be racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was just thinking this the other day. People have told me before opinions can't be wrong. Well yes they can, particularly if a person's bias leads them to a particular conclusion.
    You can just wander through this thread to see how irritating it can be to peruse other people's opinions.

Why do people say this?

Yes a certain opinion can be racist.

So do you think the persons opinion was racist, it feels like having any opinion these days is racist. Lets be real Richards is probably all over sky these days because he is black and they want to fill quotas. That's not a racist opinion its just the way it is. The amount of black pundits on TV has jumped since blm's came out, do you think this is just a coincidence.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was just thinking this the other day. People have told me before opinions can't be wrong. Well yes they can, particularly if a person's bias leads them to a particular conclusion.
    You can just wander through this thread to see how irritating it can be to peruse other people's opinions.

Who said opinions can't be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

rob316 wrote: »

To be honest the worst pre requisite sky have with pundits isn't the colour of their skin its that they must be a "top level pro".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I always though Richards was used to fill the Man City quota of pundits.

There are plenty of Man U, Liverpool & Arsenal pundits one or two Spurs ones and he fills the City pundit role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This thread is a joke, so a black man can't do well and it's down to racial quotas?

This forum is sickening. Richards brings a lot of energy, he's funny and he has a few anecdotes too, and I've not seen any pudit last long that tries to talk logic, Neville tried it but that didn't last long, now he's even resorted to calling out players on Twitter.

The only decent one was Mourinho, his insight to the game was so many levels above anything I could imagine. People don't want that, they want to hear simpler explanations like needs more Heart etc

A quick look at the current affairs forum is a pretty damning indictment of boards.ie and its general userbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

niallo27 wrote: »
    Who said opinions can't be wrong.

I wasn't talking about you, people have said it to me before. I had no issue with your post, the chap erroneously alluded to a previous poster being a racist and you rightly called him out on it.

or at least that was my reading of it, I haven't reviewed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement