Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 [Mod notes in OP - Updated 29.01.21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Away to spurs next. Thats a tough game to try and rebound. Further if they lose there and Everton win they'll drop to 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Tiago has really turned this team into an attacking force. What a baller

POTYSF

...Unbelievable Jeff!

Oh kammy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

1/2 Man City
    6/1 Man Utd
    9/1 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Goal shy pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jacool wrote: »
    1/2 Man City
    6/1 Man Utd
    9/1 Liverpool

Very good odds on Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Goal shy pool

Think souness said they have had 75 shots on goal with only 1 goal from that. People are blaming VVD being injured for the malaise but the problems currently are far beyond 1 player being out. Long may it continue.

Jesus that Twitter clip of Klopp going after Dyche don't look good at all.

Is the pressure getting to him. Certainly looks to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That record was always going to go once a ref actually had the balls to give the opposition a penalty for a change.

After tonight, Liverpool should be looking at bringing in Ben Mee, he'd certainly help them at the back. He'd fit right in.

That record was always going to go once a ref actually had the balls to give the opposition a penalty for a change.

Sounness : I blame Paul Pogba for giving away that penalty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Usually when a team is going for the three in a row the wheels come off

Usually when a team is going for the three in a row that the wheels come off

Manchester united have won several 98/99 to 00/01 and 06/07 to 08/09 so it's four in a row for us

Kerry and Kilkenny had trouble with the five in a row...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Are they still mentality monsters then?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

brinty wrote: »

Depends what Dyche said to him in fairness but he's doing himself no favours. Poor from Liverpool tonight, really struggling up front. Even when they create they don't convert. Origi's miss was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Are they still mentality monsters then?

You'll know by the end of the season if they are or not. Would be some turnaround

This is it wrote: »
    You'll know by the end of the season if they are or not. Would be some turnaround

Ah I will enjoy this period for them as much as anyone but lets not kid ourselves, its only the half way mark of the season. Plenty of road left to run yet!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Manchester united have won several 98/99 to 00/01 and 06/07 to 08/09 so it's four in a row for us

Very true that will always be the record to beat

But one

Dear o dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liverpool will get back winning ways in league against Spurs

Spurs always lie down for them and I expect a reaction for Liverpool. Dip won't last forever. Happens all teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Liverpool will get back winning ways in league against Spurs

Spurs always lie down for them and I expect a reaction for Liverpool. Dip won't last forever. Happens all teams

Exactly.

Six weeks ago City looked down and out. Top sides like that can click back into place at the drop of a hat.

Still between City and Liverpool for the title come the end of the season.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Last season is the only time we didn't get to see Klopp acting like a spoilt brat at some stage.

Liverpool's easy road to the title robbed us of that.

All the best managers tend to be narcissistic w@nkers anyway, Jose, Wenger and Fergie all were and constantly made eejits of themselves when the conditions were right for them to do so.

Glazers Out!

• Glorious Result for Burnley
    Buzzing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Screenshot-20210121-223942-Instagram.jpg

What an impact over 50 games 45 goals/assists is phenomenal.

• jayo26 wrote: »

Best player in the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Glorious Result for Burnley Buzzing!!!!

#GreatNews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Did not see the match, just saw youtube's 3-minute highlights, so why was Klopp going down the tunnel after Dyche?
    Highlights showed Fabinho clashing with some Burnley player, commentator wondering if Fabinho had kicked out....then Dyche heading down the tunnel with Klopp behind him.

What was it about exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

jayo26 wrote: »

That's some impact. Hard to beat that record... And he's a midfielder... Not a striker... Crazy..

• Box office Irony that game.
    Klopp Moaning about Utds penalties recently and then Liverpool go and lose the Anfield record at home to Burnley via a penalty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Bruno will be playing Sunday too I'd say “It doesn’t matter now that we’re out of the Carabao Cup and Champions League, and going into the Europa League, the main thing for me is that every trophy I have in front of me I want to win.
    So at this moment we have three trophies we can win – the Europa League, FA Cup and Premier League – and we will go for all of them."

• jacool wrote: »
    Bruno will be playing Sunday too I'd say “It doesn’t matter now that we’re out of the Carabao Cup and Champions League, and going into the Europa League, the main thing for me is that every trophy I have in front of me I want to win.
    So at this moment we have three trophies we can win – the Europa League, FA Cup and Premier League – and we will go for all of them."

Prefer if we just ignore the Europa, only thing it brings right now is injuries and I'd argue an easier route to the CL is via league positions giving our current standing
    Leave the Europa to the kids

Concentrate on the Cup and League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

osarusan wrote: »
    Did not see the match, just saw youtube's 3-minute highlights, so why was Klopp going down the tunnel after Dyche?
    Highlights showed Fabinho clashing with some Burnley player, commentator wondering if Fabinho had kicked out....then Dyche heading down the tunnel with Klopp behind him.

Burnley had the cheek not only refuse to concede but to actually score against them.

Klopp was outraged at that behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

osarusan wrote: »

Dyche said something to Klopp as he passed, Klopp said something back.

Both managers said it's no big deal, just two managers who are there to fight for their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thiago says hello.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Thiago says hello.[/QUOTE

Who Thiago Silva :D

• Liamalone wrote: »
    Thiago says hello.

Silva left Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thiago says hello.[/QUOTE

Who Thiago Silva :D

Yer man that broke the record for passes made after coming on as a substitute a while ago, best midfielder in da world I'm told. That one.

Yer man that broke the record for passes made after coming on as a substitute a while ago, best midfielder in da world I'm told. That one.

Is that yer man that hasnt won a league match since he came back from injury

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/EPLStatman/status/1352380091343450113?s=19

I think that kind of stat is reflective of how teams are camping in the central areas so Liverpool can't play in behind them. I think he had 22 crosses (whoscored) tonight and I don't think any (or many) were balls in behind the defence since Burnley played so deep. Robertson was next with 6 crosses for comparison.

Edit: here is the crosses

https://twitter.com/EPLStatman/status/1352378616907239428?s=19

Why in the name of God would you be constantly crossing into the Burnley's box though? Playing right into their hands. Puzzling tactics, though the pool right back has been fairly ****e in general this season I hear so I suppose he could be putting in that type of game regularly I'm not sure.

Anyone else get a David Moyes flashback??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pool form poor since jota got injured

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why in the name of God would you be constantly crossing into the Burnley's box though? Playing right into their hands. Puzzling tactics, though the pool right back has been fairly ****e in general this season I hear so I suppose he could be putting in that type of game regularly I'm not sure.

I think it was a result of no space in thr middle, low block, so when the ball could not progress a pass out to the free man is the option. Once it goes there that player is generally going to play it into the box.

Yeah, was totally brainless stuff from Trent - Klopp was clearly raging that he kept doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Did TAA not break that record the other week or was that not in the league?

• Advertisement

Did TAA not break that record the other week or was that not in the league?

Yeah, misplaced 38 passes the other week against Southampton.

Poor decision making with all those pointless lofted crosses into giant CB's, but also just poor passing in general, when his effortless accuracy is his biggest weapon. Think it would do him good to step back for a few games and just reset himself a bit. Just looks very out of sorts generally in his gameplay, his body language etc - whether its the covid recovery, or the pressure, his head looks a bit fried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've been saying it for years but I don't rate this liverpool side, they got extremely lucky with injuries and crazy VAR decisions, one or two injuries now and fair var calls and the pool fans are back hiding in their boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've been saying it for years but I don't rate this liverpool side, they got extremely lucky with injuries and crazy VAR decisions, one or two injuries now and fair var calls and the pool fans are back hiding in their boxes.

2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Oranage2 wrote: »

Last year they were winning these games by hook or by crook. And even last year with their great winning record, alot of the games were 1 goal victories that they were lucky with (which is fine, luck plays a part). But their mentality was that there was no excuse for not winning.

This time around, the excuses started flooding in, 5 substitutes, VAR, injuries, refereeing decisions. In some cases these were legitimate, but ultimately that got into the teams mentality that there is now a reason to not win every game and eventually the slump happened.

It's not over though as I don't see utd keeping their run going, they are not incapable of dropping points, city always seem to have a banana skin up their sleeve as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You have to give Burnley a lot of credit. Good defending is like herding sheep. Liverpool went where Burnley allowed them to go.

Of course it only works if you match Liverpool's work rate and follow the runners.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement