Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a groupset

Options
  • 17-01-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

I have a 2013 cube peloton that has a Sora group set, I use it now as my winter training hack, I’m quite attached to it as it was my first proper road bike and mechanically it’s fine, however I find the Sora groupset clunky compared compared to my other bikes.

I was thinking of upgrading and was wondering what to go with, 105 or ultegra going from 9 speed compact to 11speed, I know I’m probably wasting money on an old bike but it’s just for something to do.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you will occasionally see groupsets being sold here secondhand, which would be much cheaper than buying 105 and especially ultegra new - the price of a new 105 groupset would probably be twice what your bike is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What about the latest Tiagra groupset. Its pretty much the last version of 105 and leaps ahead of Sora.

It's been a while since I priced it but was around 330 when I last looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd put up with a bit of clunkiness and keep my money in my pocket personally.

Cheapest way by far to buy a groupset, in my experience, is with it attached to a second hand bike! What's your "good bike"? You could at some later stage upgrade that and hand-me-down that groupset to your cube, if you're particularly fond of it and intend to keep.

Then again. 300 odd for a full tiagra groupset isn't the end of the world. -If you're not able to fit it yourself though you will be talking about another 150 quid + for a shop to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My old Cube Aerial had Sora originally and I upgraded slowly to mainly Ultegra by buying parts off of here second hand. Worked out a lot cheaper and I’ve since moved some of those parts onto another bike.
    Are you sure your wheels can go from 9 speed to 11? You might need to change the free hub if not, just an extra expense.

Advertisement