Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viability of small dairy farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Skipduke wrote: »
    Think your best option is to go do some ag course/ green cert , find a woman there with a heap of land (and no interest in farming) ... move straight in with her fella. Your calculations are nothing but dreams. You don’t know the true cost of things which is to be expected when you’re 17.

He'd be better off moving in with her than moving in with her fella

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

He'd be better off moving in with her than moving in with her fella

2021 man, anything goes once they have the land in their name and cash in their accounts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Think your best option is to go do some ag course/ green cert , find a woman there with a heap of land (and no interest in farming) ... move straight in with her fella. Your calculations are nothing but dreams. You don’t know the true cost of things which is to be expected when you’re 17.

Go easy on the op,he's giving many here something to tap our screens at this couple of days. Covid lockdown,combined with January is doing maybe strange things. He's not afraid to talk,maybe even blabber which is something that can be good for anyone now & again.

Plenty of us hearing it anyway.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Go easy on the op,he's giving many here something to tap our screens at this couple of days. Covid lockdown,combined with January is doing maybe strange things. He's not afraid to talk,maybe even blabber which is something that can be good for anyone now & again.

im not having a go at him, wish i had his ambition. hey, it might work, he could end up being very successful. or it mightn't, just suggesting he might need to recalculate his figures, get some life experience, and look into finding a woman or man who likes farming as his aspired lifestyle is very farm heavy. be a bad job is the SO is not into the smells, hardship and realities of farming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Let's keep this on-topic, please.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just realised the OP is 17.

Fair play to him for such curiosity and interest at such a young age. Nothing at all wrong with throwing out figures and ideas. He's generated a great discussion on here for however many pages.

Having said that, 17 is no age to be thinking about a career. If you like cows, do some relief milking and earn a few quid. Then you can impress the local young wans splashing the cash around. Get a nice phone. Buy fancy clothes. Grow a beard or moustache. Try Guinness instead of cider or lager. Go for a run if you can't train with the local GAA, soccer, rugby, etc. club.

Do all those things now and more with it. Even if you don't want to. At least then, you won't be wondering what it would have been like when you're sick-sh*t of looking at cows, fighting with yer oul fella, and have very few options at 24.

Edit: bookmark this page or save the URL someplace. There's been some great ideas and insights shared. This is a valuable discussion that will still be useful in years to come. Don't lose it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Fair play to him for such curiosity and interest at such a young age. Nothing at all wrong with throwing out figures and ideas. He's generated a great discussion on here for however many pages.

Having said that, 17 is no age to be thinking about a career. If you like cows, do some relief milking and earn a few quid. Then you can impress the local young wans splashing the cash around. Get a nice phone. Buy fancy clothes. Grow a beard or moustache. Try Guinness instead of cider or lager. Go for a run if you can't train with the local GAA, soccer, rugby, etc. club.

Do all those things now and more with it. Even if you don't want to. At least then, you won't be wondering what it would have been like when you're sick-sh*t of looking at cows, fighting with yer oul fella, and have very few options at 24.

Edit: bookmark this page or save the URL someplace. There's been some great ideas and insights shared. This is a valuable discussion that will still be useful in years to come. Don't lose it.
    This +100, gave up an awful lot in pursuit of getting myself setup between 18-25. Holidays, nights out, sport all put on hold. Was it worth it, probably not and had I have known what I was locking myself into, definitely wouldn't have done it.
    Once you finish school/college, fulltime farming on your own doesn't be long becoming very lonely unless you keep putting the work into maintaining social life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This +100, gave up an awful lot in pursuit of getting myself setup between 18-25. Holidays, nights out, sport all put on hold. Was it worth it, probably not and had I have known what I was locking myself into, definitely wouldn't have done it.
    Once you finish school/college, fulltime farming on your own doesn't be long becoming very lonely unless you keep putting the work into maintaining social life

And especially true if a 65 acre dairy farm

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's the other side of it too.

It's the same argument for having a family from the get go.

It takes years to get a farm into any semblance of easiness to run and have the money built up.
    Different if it's been done already by the previous generation but in most cases it hasn't.

By the time you're in your fifties you should be on the wind down both on family and farm.

You shouldn't be still looking for baler twine for fencing and collecting the kids from playschool at that age.
    Well you could but it's no life either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It takes years to get a farm into any semblance of easiness to run and have the money built up.
    Different if it's been done already by the previous generation but in most cases it hasn't.

By the time you're in your fifties you should be on the wind down both on family and farm.

You shouldn't be still looking for baler twine for fencing and collecting the kids from playschool at that age.

Still in early 30’s here, milking cows since 2013 and the end goal has always been to build the place up to a point that by my mid 50’s the next generation can take the reins and if their isn’t a interest, the farm by all accounts should be debt free with great facilities in place, that if it was to be rented out it would easily generate 40 plus k of a rent, along with potential stock sales that would leave a great nest egg as a pension our invested into another area....
    But to achieve the above, I personally would be just about taking 20k a year out and all profits are ploughed back into the place to improve it, I’d rather burst myself working in my 20”s and 30’s then trying to do it in my later years when any multitude of issues can crop up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

Am going doing the dairy herd management course, women with heaps of land are few and far between, dont think theres a single woman who doesnt have a younger/older brother that wouldnt take over the farm.
    Getting some very mixed opinions, most say there was nothing wrong with my calculations and some say im completely wrong :confused:

ruwithme wrote: »

We all get strange ideas sometimes :D I said the best thing would be to go on here and see what others think, roughly 80% think it'll work, 10% think maybe and 10% say definite no
    We'd go insane if we didn't talk to anyone about my mad ideas :D

im not having a go at him, wish i had his ambition. hey, it might work, he could end up being very successful. or it mightn't, just suggesting he might need to recalculate his figures, get some life experience, and look into finding a woman or -man- who likes farming as his aspired lifestyle is very farm heavy. be a bad job is the SO is not into the smells, hardship and realities of farming.

These are rough figures tbf, they could be a lot higher as you say or who knows they could be lower, planning to go with a big dairy farmer over the summer possibly and get a good bit of experience working on other farms as theres only so much you can learn from sucklers
    Twould be a woman that i'd go for, it would take some amount of land to make me go the other way :D
    Women into farming are few and far between but they do exist, dairy farmer near me the wife be spreading slurry for him and everything, shes the woman every farmer dreams about :D

It has generated a lot of interest, thinking about going with a big dairy farmer for the summer, although there is a full year of working on farms with the dairy herd management course anyway so good bit of experience to be gained from that, the auld samsung i have now is doing away grand, no interest in fashion and trying my best with the beard and moustache :
    Never had much interest in sports at all, only sport i was mad for when i was young was chasing cattle but youd never guess that by the size of me :D Might try and get in good shape and get rid of the belly :D
    I might try and organise my group of friends to go off to NZ or Aus and go drawing silage
    Good advice, i'll do that right away,
    This discussion might not only be useful to me but also others I hope

Can be very isolating especially nowadays, especially for the auld fellas who go down the pub for a chat with each other. Are you full time farming yourself?
    No interest in sport or holidays, my sort of holiday is going working on other farms, pretty much no nights out for the foreseeable future, dunno what im gonna do for my 18th :confused:

Ford4life wrote: »
    Women into farming are few and far between but they do exist, dairy farmer near me the wife be spreading slurry for him and everything, shes the woman every farmer dreams about :D

I don't know about that. I could give you a list of non-farming women that I wouldn't be kicking out of the bed to go down and spread a few loads of slurry in the morning.

Tis certainly easier for fellas whos father is already milking cows, once you have the land anyway its a start, i'd hate to be a lad trying to buy a farm, put up sheds and new milking parlour, be a long time paying that off
    Thats a good point aswell, do fellas reckon for a boundary fence would a couple strands of barbed wire be better than a few strands of electric fence? Maintenance wise barbed wire would be handier with briars etc

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Still in early 30’s here, milking cows since 2013 and the end goal has always been to build the place up to a point that by my mid 50’s the next generation can take the reins and if their isn’t a interest, the farm by all accounts should be debt free with great facilities in place, that if it was to be rented out it would easily generate 40 plus k of a rent, along with potential stock sales that would leave a great nest egg as a pension our invested into another area....
    But to achieve the above, I personally would be just about taking 20k a year out and all profits are ploughed back into the place to improve it, I’d rather burst myself working in my 20”s and 30’s then trying to do it in my later years when any multitude of issues can crop up

Lot easier to put a pile of effort in when your young, not very easy with bad knees, bad back etc
    I'd plan to do the same also, put everything back in straight away and reap the benefits then later on in life, not having to be stressed out with pressure on from the banks when your 50 years old

I don't know about that. I could give you a list of non-farming women that I wouldn't be kicking out of the bed to go down and spread a few loads of slurry in the morning.

Well c'mon wheres the list :D Hes not forcing her to do it btw, she does it because she loves farming too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

No interest in sport or holidays, my sort of holiday is going working on other farms

Change that while you are still young. You'll see farming differently when you're a couple of years out of college meeting very few people everyday and have largely lost contact with the bulk of your classmates.

Better to do a more general ag degree than the dairy course also. Gives you more options down the line and wider perspective. No matter which you do, the vast majority of the most important things you learn will be picked up yourself, not handed to you by someone with little real world experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

That's if you were lucky enough to get them in there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Are Melania, Ivanka and Tiffany much help around the farm??
    I don't see it myself.

MIKEKC wrote: »
    That's if you were lucky enough to get them in there in the first place

I'm quietly confident that someone like yer wan Dua Lipa wouldn't be able to resist my chat up lines about derogation

These are rough figures tbf, they could be a lot higher as you say or who knows they could be lower, planning to go with a big dairy farmer over the summer possibly and get a good bit of experience working on other farms as theres only so much you can learn from sucklers
    Twould be a woman that i'd go for, it would take some amount of land to make me go the other way :D

you've to venture further afield to get a decent heifer. plenty of women into farming now, most are tidier operators than their male counterparts.

tanko wrote: »
    Are Melania, Ivanka and Tiffany much help around the farm??
    I don't see it myself.

Melania doesn't want to get he hands dirty at all
    Ivanka would be great at everything of course.

Tiffany though is made for it. She'd fit right in in the local Macra.

Melania doesn't want to get he hands dirty at all
    Ivanka would be great at everything of course.

Tiffany though is made for it. She'd fit right in in the local Macra.

can see her now with a pair of hunter boots. more of a horse woman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jaymla627 wrote: »

I think within ten years there won't be enough farmers to take up all the land that's coming onstream, I certainly can't see this €300/acre sticking it.
    look around your own area

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Well c'mon wheres the list :D Hes not forcing her to do it btw, she does it because she loves farming too

Hi OP!
    Loving the thread. Getting people thinking and talking anyway.
    I did my leaving two years ago and there was one lad in my year who spent the six years giving out about school, studying etc. His plan was to go to Ag College. Go out to Saudi Arabia as a farm manager and make a fortune. Come back and buy a big farm. He had it all thought out.
    Anyway went to Ag College and after 2/3 weeks a few of the students (I think) were offered to move onto a level 6/7 degree in a Dairy Business style thing(I’m not sure ). He took the option with both hands after spending 6 years complaining about studying haha and he’ll go for a job as a saleman kinda thing. My point is that what you think you might like now and you’ll actually like are two different things.
    Imo a mechanic is a dirty and often frustrating job and by 45 most of them are crippled. It might suit you to make that sort of decision if you grew up in a yard with a heap of machinery that was always breaking down but otherwise I’m afraid you mightn’t have much experience of it.Machine Diagnostics might be worth looking into as it’s cleaner, easier, better paid and is much more future proofed.
    Your figures are way off also btw.
    Assume €1500 per year per cow in milk for the first few years and maybe if you’re lucky you might get €600 for 9 month old weanlings. For 24 cows you’re talking €50000.
    If your farm has been so lowly stocked for so long your grass is probably in ****e as all the bad grasses would be after taking over so don’t expect anything above 3.5% protein until the whole farm is reseeded
    Also there ain’t many Fleckvieh heifers for sale in Ireland. The majority are imported so you’re talking €2300 a head. Btw they’re not all they’re made out to be. Good ones would barely match the best Holstein Friesian you could get milk wise and the calf value is only a very small thing in the modern dairy industry and it’s hard to get the big calf value without a lot of milk. Also at the mercy of calf dealers a lot of the time.
    I assume you’re in the Irish Farming Discussion Group on Facebook and the amount of people crying on that page that they’ve devoted their life to the farm only for it to be sold from underneath them is frightening. Until you have a proper succession plan with your dad I wouldn’t be banking on anything.
    Btw 300 points would get you into agriculture in CIT easily and if your family can’t afford it SUSI will cover a lot. If your family can afford it then you’re you’re not too badly off- it might be easier than handing over the farm straight away haha.
    As other people mentioned look into relief milking and working for farmers in your spare time. They’ll teach you more than anyone on here will!!!
    You said you’re not interested in making a fortune but when someone mentioned earlier pulling out of school and working for a farmer your first response was “oh I’ll easily get €10 an hour doing that”. That shows that you’re more interested in money than you’re letting on!!
    Btw don’t be penny wise pound foolish with this getting into dairy before you’re 30. If you mind an off farm wage and build it up slowly and you’ll be able to build up to a wage that’ll easily get you into dairy much easier than your current means !!

I was stone mad for farming and still am but I’m doing a degree in Financial Maths.
    I had considered doing Ag Science but did my work experience in Moorepark and that put me right off. Did three days there and it was incredibly worthwhile from the pov that it told me what I was letting myself in for.
    Farming is all I know and my Facebook and Twitter feeds are full of farming stuff but I wanted to see a different side of the world besides always talking about cows and the weather.

During the summer spend three weeks at home on the farm without going anywhere and you’ll see what full time dairy farming is really like. You and your father are used to off farm jobs and meeting people everyday of the week. It’s a big change and you would t be long losing motivation when you get sick of doing the same thing everyday. There’s supposed to be a good career guidance Councillor in Bandon. I don’t know their name but a lot of people around me went to them and found them very helpful. A quick google may find plenty of them!

In conclusion, best of luck but I hope you see sense and try something different. The farm will always be there but your youth won’t be!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    I think within ten years there won't be enough farmers to take up all the land that's coming onstream, I certainly can't see this €300/acre sticking it.
    look around your own area

It’s hard to know - would you have said the same 10 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Twas a couple of lads round our way use to preach the very same &worse over twenty years ago.turns out they were well wrong.

Advertisement