Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viability of small dairy farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It’s hard to know - would you have said the same 10 years ago?

I was dropping in my tanker for a dribble bar this evening in the machinery dealer's yard.
    What struck me was 3500 gallon tankers being fitted with trailing shoes there also.

My 2600 gallon tanker was made small compared to them.

A few years ago that 2600 gallon tanker was a big tanker on land now it's a small tanker and people, multiples of people see the need for a 3500 tanker and not just to ferry slurry but to spread it on fields.

It's driven by the need and desire to get more work done and more acres covered by machine and essentially per labour unit.

Less labour. Bigger machines. More acres by both.
    It was shown to me by just the act of parking up my tanker in that dealers yard this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Ah,she's still a BIG tank s.m.n. holds a thousand gallons more than mine &mines a BIG one round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Investors are buying farms now for the tax free lease concession, starting to sound like the Celtic tiger it's a real house of cards based on dairy farmers.
    What future have these farm partnerships when the older one gives up, there's a huge amount of Partners in full time jobs, will they get help, construction sites can't even get workers at €20/hour . I see people my age and they never worked as hard in their life. I've two friends with 500+ acres each and none of their children want them, all set. there's 1000s of acres around me which will be coming on line in the next ten years.
    Who ever a farm is given too will be made worse off if they have a full time job.

wrangler wrote: »
    Investors are buying farms now for the tax free lease concession, starting to sound like the Celtic tiger it's a real house of cards based on dairy farmers.
    What future have these farm partnerships when the older one gives up, there's a huge amount of Partners in full time jobs, will they get help, construction sites can't even get workers at €20/hour . I see people my age and they never worked as hard in their life. I've two friends with 500+ acres each and none of their children want them, all set. there's 1000s of acres around me which will be coming on line in the next ten years.
    Who ever a farm is given too will be made worse off if they have a full time job.

your going to find your locality flooded with entrants from about here :pac:

Theres about 110 acres of good ground near enough to me....gone rough,lad owed it had around 40 to 50 dry cattle on it every winter,spread fertilizer on it during summer etc etc...

coming up soon enough and it has about 8 people (oldest be 35 max) snapping at bit to rent it for silage/heifers.....it will make well north of the e300 an acre and all half it has ever grown in my lifetime is briars/rushes.

(You are right that its all built on deck of cards,which cant be sustained....a collaspe in dairy market,for any reason could cause enough damage here,to potentially sink one of our banks)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

your going to find your locality flooded with entrants from about here :pac:

Theres about 110 acres of good ground near enough to me....gone rough,lad owed it had around 40 to 50 dry cattle on it every winter,spread fertilizer on it during summer etc etc...

coming up soon enough and it has about 8 people (oldest be 35 max) snapping at bit to rent it for silage/heifers.....it will make well north of the e300 an acre and all half it has ever grown in my lifetime is briars/rushes.

(You are right that its all built on deck of cards,which cant be sustained....a collaspe in dairy market,for any reason could cause enough damage here,to potentially sink one of our banks)

Some lads need the ground for their maps. Good few acres rented that aren't actually rented - instead the fella is "buying the grass" off it.

If you get a few rough acres that you can get maps off (because the fella that owns it wasn't doing anything to establish SFP on it back in the day) then lads will pay for it to tick the box.

Madness but it has to be done under the system. You could say that they should refuse to "buy the grass" ... but sure the next fella will take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

Change that while you are still young. You'll see farming differently when you're a couple of years out of college meeting very few people everyday and have largely lost contact with the bulk of your classmates.

Better to do a more general ag degree than the dairy course also. Gives you more options down the line and wider perspective. No matter which you do, the vast majority of the most important things you learn will be picked up yourself, not handed to you by someone with little real world experience

Already meet very few people everyday, family is about it, well used to it, most of us would stay in contact
    After the dairy course i was planning to do the agri engineering course in pallaskenry aswell, one fella on here was VERY against working as a mechanic (**** pay and **** working conditions, things could be different now though), most fellas i have talked to IRL about it would say that working as a mechanic is a very good job so :confused:

I'm quietly confident that someone like yer wan Dua Lipa wouldn't be able to resist my chat up lines about derogation

She'd be begging to hear about your lovely tractor again....

Even with the tax free concession land isn't going to produce a great return (without capital appreciation).

You are down 7.5% stamp duty to kick off with. then maybe 2% per year of what you paid for it if you are lucky.

I'd say most non-active farmers buying land are still the children of farmers.

Skipduke wrote: »
    you've to venture further afield to get a decent heifer. plenty of women into farming now, most are tidier operators than their male counterparts.

How many of them are into farming and how many of them are into the value of the farm :D
    I dont doubt it, I have seen some rough farms, a farmer in cork recently went to jail and his fully grown dairy cattle weren't even the size of our yearlings

I think within ten years there won't be enough farmers to take up all the land that's coming onstream, I certainly can't see this €300/acre sticking it.
    look around your own area

300 an acre is madness to be paying, if you took on 80 acres to take on 80 cows, your down 24,000 every year straight away, if the milk price dropped to 25c or so that would finish a lot of dairy farmers

• Advertisement

Ford4life wrote: »
    300 an acre is madness to be paying, if you took on 80 acres to take on 80 cows, your down 24,000 every year straight away, if the milk price dropped to 25c or so that would finish a lot of dairy farmers

80 cows grossing over 200000, 24000 is small out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

you've to venture further afield to get a decent heifer. plenty of women into farming now, most are tidier operators than their male counterparts.

Jesus it's a long time since I've been called a heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

whelan2 wrote: »
    Jesus it's a long time since I've been called a heifer.

Cull cow now ? Hahah

I’m a woman so no sexism implies

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cull cow now ? Hahah

I’m a woman so no sexism implies

Still not a nice phrase though. Times , I hope have moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

whelan2 wrote: »
    Still not a nice phrase though. Times , I hope have moved on

You’re great craic at parties I’d say. Let’s stay on topic and not snipe from the hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Already meet very few people everyday, family is about it, well used to it, most of us would stay in contact
    After the dairy course i was planning to do the agri engineering course in pallaskenry aswell, one fella on here was VERY against working as a mechanic (**** pay and **** working conditions, things could be different now though), most fellas i have talked to IRL about it would say that working as a mechanic is a very good job so :confused:

The Level 7 degree in Agri Engineering would be in a lot of ways quite similar to a level 7 in Mechanical engineering and people used to be able to transfer between courses. (They did when I was doing mech anyway)

That would open up quite a wide area of courses in mechanical, manufacturing process engineering and a wide area of jobs as manufacturing engineers, design engineers, maintenance techs, field service engineers. Its fairly broad.

Reading the thread I think that other poster was spot on with his advice and he seems fairly up to date with his knowledge of the civil side of engineering.

I would get some good quality careers advice and talk to someone in the college if I was you.

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Hi OP!
    Loving the thread. Getting people thinking and talking anyway.
    I did my leaving two years ago and there was one lad in my year who spent the six years giving out about school, studying etc. His plan was to go to Ag College. Go out to Saudi Arabia as a farm manager and make a fortune. Come back and buy a big farm. He had it all thought out.
    Anyway went to Ag College and after 2/3 weeks a few of the students (I think) were offered to move onto a level 6/7 degree in a Dairy Business style thing(I’m not sure ). He took the option with both hands after spending 6 years complaining about studying haha and he’ll go for a job as a saleman kinda thing. My point is that what you think you might like now and you’ll actually like are two different things.
    Imo a mechanic is a dirty and often frustrating job and by 45 most of them are crippled. It might suit you to make that sort of decision if you grew up in a yard with a heap of machinery that was always breaking down but otherwise I’m afraid you mightn’t have much experience of it.Machine Diagnostics might be worth looking into as it’s cleaner, easier, better paid and is much more future proofed.
    Your figures are way off also btw.
    Assume €1500 per year per cow in milk for the first few years and maybe if you’re lucky you might get €600 for 9 month old weanlings. For 24 cows you’re talking €50000.
    If your farm has been so lowly stocked for so long your grass is probably in ****e as all the bad grasses would be after taking over so don’t expect anything above 3.5% protein until the whole farm is reseeded
    Also there ain’t many Fleckvieh heifers for sale in Ireland. The majority are imported so you’re talking €2300 a head. Btw they’re not all they’re made out to be. Good ones would barely match the best Holstein Friesian you could get milk wise and the calf value is only a very small thing in the modern dairy industry and it’s hard to get the big calf value without a lot of milk. Also at the mercy of calf dealers a lot of the time.
    I assume you’re in the Irish Farming Discussion Group on Facebook and the amount of people crying on that page that they’ve devoted their life to the farm only for it to be sold from underneath them is frightening. Until you have a proper succession plan with your dad I wouldn’t be banking on anything.
    Btw 300 points would get you into agriculture in CIT easily and if your family can’t afford it SUSI will cover a lot. If your family can afford it then you’re you’re not too badly off- it might be easier than handing over the farm straight away haha.
    As other people mentioned look into relief milking and working for farmers in your spare time. They’ll teach you more than anyone on here will!!!
    You said you’re not interested in making a fortune but when someone mentioned earlier pulling out of school and working for a farmer your first response was “oh I’ll easily get €10 an hour doing that”. That shows that you’re more interested in money than you’re letting on!!
    Btw don’t be penny wise pound foolish with this getting into dairy before you’re 30. If you mind an off farm wage and build it up slowly and you’ll be able to build up to a wage that’ll easily get you into dairy much easier than your current means !!

I was stone mad for farming and still am but I’m doing a degree in Financial Maths.
    I had considered doing Ag Science but did my work experience in Moorepark and that put me right off. Did three days there and it was incredibly worthwhile from the pov that it told me what I was letting myself in for.
    Farming is all I know and my Facebook and Twitter feeds are full of farming stuff but I wanted to see a different side of the world besides always talking about cows and the weather.

During the summer spend three weeks at home on the farm without going anywhere and you’ll see what full time dairy farming is really like. You and your father are used to off farm jobs and meeting people everyday of the week. It’s a big change and you would t be long losing motivation when you get sick of doing the same thing everyday. There’s supposed to be a good career guidance Councillor in Bandon. I don’t know their name but a lot of people around me went to them and found them very helpful. A quick google may find plenty of them!

In conclusion, best of luck but I hope you see sense and try something different. The farm will always be there but your youth won’t be!!!

Your not wrong, opinions can change easily, for the moment i hate studying but who knows i might surprise myself, pretty sure the course in pallaskenry covers machinery diagnostics (90% sure will look into it more) I'd only be planning to do the mechanic work until im arounnd 25-30 which is when i'd be planning to get the dairy up and running, youd easily get 800 for decent weanlings in my local mart, youd get them to 350kg with a bit of ration
    Its good grass at home, none of it is after being taken over by bad grasses as no nitrogen put out keeps the growth rate low enough just about for them to keep on top of it, 20 sucklers and their calves would be roughly equal to 24 cows and their 24 calves with a small bit of fertilizer spread, some fields would need weeds sprayed off but i could do that myself with our own sprayer
    Not in the discussion group at all, none of this work would happen until the farm is in my name and my father hasnt said it directly but my mother has said that he plans to pass it on to me
    Would be able to get the SUSI grant, what is the career possibilities after the agriculture course in CIT? From a quick google search its pretty much a more basic dairy course that covers all sides of farming instead
    Not sure about the dropping out of school and going working for a farmer, from memory that was about a job that could earn 15 euro an hour or so (office job) my thinking was i could go work on a farm or with a contractor and maybe get a small bit less but get valuable experience instead and enjoy the work i would be doing, or atleast that's what i meant by it
    I have often spent a few weeks at home and I didn't mind tbh, i'm well used to the isolation and i dont mind it, tbh with ya its been probably 3 nearly 4 weeks since i have met anyone outside of the family
    Is Roisin Kelleher the guidance counsellor you were talking about?
    What was wrong with moorepark also?
    And thanks! :D

Milk quotas were still there 10 years ago

I was dropping in my tanker for a dribble bar this evening in the machinery dealer's yard.
    What struck me was 3500 gallon tankers being fitted with trailing shoes there also.

A few years ago that 2600 gallon tanker was a big tanker on land now it's a small tanker and people, multiples of people see the need for a 3500 tanker and not just to ferry slurry but to spread it on fields.

It's driven by the need and desire to get more work done and more acres covered by machine and essentially per labour unit.

It was shown to me by just the act of parking up my tanker in that dealers yard this evening.

Would a tandem 3500 gallon tanker be as easy on the land as a single axle 2600 gallon tanker with 700 tyres under her, 2600 is a big tanker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would a tandem 3500 gallon tanker be as easy on the land as a single axle 2600 gallon tanker with 700 tyres under her, 2600 is a big tanker

Have no idea.
    Tandem axle puts more rubber on the ground tho. More rubber, less pressure per square inch on soil.

• Advertisement

Just one bank? if the dairy industry collapses it could be way worse than the last recession
    18000 dairy farmers, if every farmer had a debt of 100,000 (most have way more that) would be 1,800,000,000 to add onto the debt we already have, current debt is 200bn which makes 1.8bn look insignificant but think about how much the dairy industry is worth to our economy, in 2020 dairy exports were 4.4 billion, take that chunk out of our economy and whats gonna fill the gap
    Then all the jobs relying on the sector, about 40,000 jobs (not including the dairy farmers themselves) in processors, distribution and whatever else

80 cows grossing over 200000, 24000 is small out of that

Need sheds to keep the extra cows, need extra slurry storage, the cost of keeping the cows themselves, pay a fella to look after them as if you have over 120 cows you will need help, probably need to upgrade the existing milking parlour so your not in there 3 or 4 hours twice a day

Just one bank? if the dairy industry collapses it could be way worse than the last recession
    18000 dairy farmers, if every farmer had a debt of 100,000 (most have way more that) would be 1,800,000,000 to add onto the debt we already have, current debt is 200bn which makes 1.8bn look insignificant but think about how much the dairy industry is worth to our economy, in 2020 dairy exports were 4.4 billion, take that chunk out of our economy and whats gonna fill the gap
    Then all the jobs relying on the sector, about 40,000 jobs (not including the dairy farmers themselves) in processors, distribution and whatever else

Its not going to be wiped out,humans in northern europe been consuming dairy products with 5,000 years

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

I haven’t a clue who the guidance councillor was but I’d be getting a couple of pieces of professional advice if you’re not sure.

It’s great you’re used to isolation anyway which is the a good thing haha.
    I hope I didn’t come across as too dismissive In the last post!

Grasstec and companies like FRS, Lely and Dairymaster or Ag merchants take on a good few CIT graduates afaik. It’d be less sciencey than UCC or Tralee and more practical. Go onto LinkedIn and set up a profile and go for a browse through where they are employed. I’ll see can I dig out a link. http://www.mycit.ie/contentfiles/Careers/Your%20degree%20in%20Agriculture%20-%20%20What%20Next.pdf
    I’m in Mid Cork so not a million miles away and very few (if any) dairy bred animals under a year of age make €800 which would mean wintering the cattle which I’m not sure yere set up for. You might be used to selling sucklers but In Macroom or Bandon you won’t get that sort of money too handy for dairy bred animals.
    I’m afraid if you’re getting started in dairy you ain’t gonna get 3.6% protein unless you start with Xbreds and an extreme attitude to grass. You need new grass (or else constantly well managed pasture) to get good percentages
    Moorepark maybe I was naive but they weren’t really set up for work experience students ( and Teagasc supposed to be the education agency🙄) and I was put painting gates. It was at a lot of measuring grass too.

Your not wrong, opinions can change easily, for the moment i hate studying but who knows i might surprise myself, pretty sure the course in pallaskenry covers machinery diagnostics (90% sure will look into it more) I'd only be planning to do the mechanic work until im arounnd 25-30 which is when i'd be planning to get the dairy up and running, youd easily get 800 for decent weanlings in my local mart, youd get them to 350kg with a bit of ration
    Its good grass at home, none of it is after being taken over by bad grasses as no nitrogen put out keeps the growth rate low enough just about for them to keep on top of it, 20 sucklers and their calves would be roughly equal to 24 cows and their 24 calves with a small bit of fertilizer spread, some fields would need weeds sprayed off but i could do that myself with our own sprayer
    Not in the discussion group at all, none of this work would happen until the farm is in my name and my father hasnt said it directly but my mother has said that he plans to pass it on to me
    Would be able to get the SUSI grant, what is the career possibilities after the agriculture course in CIT? From a quick google search its pretty much a more basic dairy course that covers all sides of farming instead
    Not sure about the dropping out of school and going working for a farmer, from memory that was about a job that could earn 15 euro an hour or so (office job) my thinking was i could go work on a farm or with a contractor and maybe get a small bit less but get valuable experience instead and enjoy the work i would be doing, or atleast that's what i meant by it
    I have often spent a few weeks at home and I didn't mind tbh, i'm well used to the isolation and i dont mind it, tbh with ya its been probably 3 nearly 4 weeks since i have met anyone outside of the family
    Is Roisin Kelleher the guidance counsellor you were talking about?
    What was wrong with moorepark also?

Have no idea.
    Tandem axle puts more rubber on the ground tho. More rubber, less pressure per square inch on soil.

Most of the time the tandems tend to have a lot smaller tyres also LGP ~560 tyres at a guess would be the general size i have seen on them, never seen tractor tyre style tyres on them and i find tractor tyre style tyres tend to mark the ground less too i find as in softish ground the LGP tyres tend to sink down and "Ball" up the soil infront of them if they do start to sink, if they stop turning your really ****ed :D but there is the factor of more weight on the single axle and the tandem has the weight spread across 2 axles, anyone got exerience with both and find one better than the other? :confused:

There would be small numbers with significant debt.

Plenty of others with manageable or small debt.

The former would have bigger individual herds but I'd imagine that the number of cows being milked in the latter category are more.

Don't forget, that although Banks have made messes of things before and will do so again, their job is supposed to be to make sure that they can get their money back if things go tits up. Farmers going bankrupt will not necessarily mean that the banks will. There was an article online on one of the sites about a fella pimping his services as a PIP and predicting a deluge of farmer bankruptcies later in the year

Edit: Here it is https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/tsunami-of-bankruptcy-cases-may-overwhelm-irish-agriculture-later-this-year/
    Bear in mind that that is his business so it's in his interest to drum up some fear!

Most of the time the tandems tend to have a lot smaller tyres also LGP ~560 tyres at a guess would be the general size i have seen on them, never seen tractor tyre style tyres on them and i find tractor tyre style tyres tend to mark the ground less too i find as in softish ground the LGP tyres tend to sink down and "Ball" up the soil infront of them if they do start to sink, if they stop turning your really ****ed :D but there is the factor of more weight on the single axle and the tandem has the weight spread across 2 axles, anyone got exerience with both and find one better than the other? :confused:

The big tractor wheel are rough on a long draw on the road,hop hop hop
    Twin axle is smoother on the road, but I'd imagine they could just stop turning in the field these days

jd_12345 wrote: »
    I haven’t a clue who the guidance councillor was but I’d be getting a couple of pieces of professional advice if you’re not sure.

It’s great you’re used to isolation anyway which is the a good thing haha.
    I hope I didn’t come across as too dismissive In the last post!

Grasstec and companies like FRS, Lely and Dairymaster or Ag merchants take on a good few CIT graduates afaik. It’d be less sciencey than UCC or Tralee and more practical. Go onto LinkedIn and set up a profile and go for a browse through where they are employed. I’ll see can I dig out a link. http://www.mycit.ie/contentfiles/Careers/Your%20degree%20in%20Agriculture%20-%20%20What%20Next.pdf
    I’m in Mid Cork so not a million miles away and very few (if any) dairy bred animals under a year of age make €800 which would mean wintering the cattle which I’m not sure yere set up for. You might be used to selling sucklers but In Macroom or Bandon you won’t get that sort of money too handy for dairy bred animals.
    I’m afraid if you’re getting started in dairy you ain’t gonna get 3.6% protein unless you start with Xbreds and an extreme attitude to grass. You need new grass (or else constantly well managed pasture) to get good percentages
    Moorepark maybe I was naive but they weren’t really set up for work experience students ( and Teagasc supposed to be the education agency��) and I was put painting gates. It was at a lot of measuring grass too.

Didnt sound dismissive at all, what you were saying makes perfect sense, i have seen ****e quality dairy bullocks make nearly 900 ~350 kilos as i suppose fellas think that no one else will bid on them and that theyre the only ones that see them and will get them for cheap, god only knows what goes through those bidders minds :D
    I did the income for a 31c milk price which would be 3.3P and 3.6BF which would be easily achieveable
    Teagasc are a waste of time, was putting a roof on a shed for a fella one day with the boss and the father, got chatting to the farmer anyway and he told me he had asked teagasc for advice on a pit, something like 12 cattle and a few bullocks
    Whatever bolloxing they did with their calculations the pit was twice the width it should of been and the silage in the next face would be gone off by the time he would be finished with the first face and that was with a shear grab! Imagine the waste with a tine grab :eek: he had to go back to bales anyway which is costly but not as costly as the wasted pit silage
    Ah yes painting gates, the cornerstone of any farming business :D
    Im fairly decent at judging how many days grazing is in the field by a quick stroll around the field (not to toot my own horn) no real need to measure it i have found
    If push came to shove we could do what we have done before and winter the weanlings on the silage ground with a bit of ration and then slurry on once the ban lifts, roll it then a few weeks after works very well, quite a dry field, worked very well we found
    Im used to managing grassland, topping once they come out of the field and would have fertilizer out straight away if we had to spread it
    Will look into that course aswell so for 2 years time as i have already applied for the dairy course so dont want to be changing that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Give it 10yrs, and self driving tractor's are the norm. Then you'll see a downsizings again of many farm machines, no labour limitation.

• Advertisement

There would be small numbers with significant debt.

Plenty of others with manageable or small debt.

The former would have bigger individual herds but I'd imagine that the number of cows being milked in the latter category are more.

Don't forget, that although Banks have made messes of things before and will do so again, their job is supposed to be to make sure that they can get their money back if things go tits up. Farmers going bankrupt will not necessarily mean that the banks will. There was an article online on one of the sites about a fella pimping his services as a PIP and predicting a deluge of farmer bankruptcies later in the year

Edit: Here it is https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/tsunami-of-bankruptcy-cases-may-overwhelm-irish-agriculture-later-this-year/
    Bear in mind that that is his business so it's in his interest to drum up some fear!

That is true, banks would be taking a lot of land off farmers and there would be a lot of brand new tractors for sale afterwards

Advertisement