Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viability of small dairy farm

Options

Comments

_Brian wrote: »
    Surely animal density is a better factor to determine potential for negative effects on environment and biodiversity.

Not only regarding a farm level but in relation to an overall water catchment area.

I'm going to keep repeating it, animal density, or intensiveness, on their own, are not bad.

The management of the operation can decide whether it's good, bad, neutral or whatever.

There is a popular but incorrect line of thinking out there that animals = bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    How many hours per week would you be putting in at that?.

Yearly about a 1000 hours for myself and maybe 150 for the father

How long are ye in that sort of a system?
    Why not aim to substantially reduce diesel, vet, contractor, fertilizer and meal as much as possible while also getting 5k glas? Reduced total labour and cost per cow. Much of those costs arent adding to profitability for you and are just turning money over, not increasing profits at end of year.

Impossible to change the ould fellas :D hes probably been doing it since he got out of dairy ~10 years ago, diesel cant be reduced as we do the majority of the work ourselves with our own machinery, vet will have to be called out the odd time, usually only 2 times a year but that might be for a caesarian, herd testing etc so not cheap usually he'd only be out to us 2 times in a year at the most, contractor just does the silage for us nothing else, use bare minimum fertilizer for the silage ground so that cant be reduced anymore, am trying to reduce the ration, we do it little and often so may reduce it even more possibly, trying to get the father into glas but like i said not changing the ould fellas :D

wrangler wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree, if you're only making peanuts, you lose interest because, unlike dairy farmers, you can't buy fancy stuff to make life easier.
    That's why the beef and sheep premiums were so important , they gave farmers a different lifestyle

A monthly income too, not just all the years income in 1 day

There are a few costs that could be cut. Insurance at 2k , if you are stocked low 2k is lot on ration at over 100 euro/ cow. Is it possible to reduce other costs after all sub 20 suckler's.on 60 acres.

I am not have a cut at you but even if you change you system unless you get a handle on costs you will struggle in any farming sector. If it costs 700/cow for 19 cows that produce 14calves(I know there may be more calves normally) how do you expect to manage costs for 40-50 dairy cows on the same amount of land.

Just because turnover increases it of no use if costs increase. If you need 100 euro worth of ration per cow for 17 suckler's how much ration will you need for 40-50 dairy cows. While 2k in turnover may seem a lot this is for a 7 day a week job that for about 45 weeks of the year will take 6 hours per day. Not only will you have these cows you will also have 7-10 replacement heifers and calves to manage as well.

Cutting down on insurance would be grand until something goes up in flames :D Thats for 3 tractors, (all 3 will be vintage this year so thatll bring it down) the buildings etc. Tis for the calves the ration is for, a few bought in calves, incalf heifers and weanlings, that would be including a few pieces for the farm we would get off drinagh hardware so not entirely ration but the vast majority of it is
    That should of been 14 cows and 14 calves btw, just realized my mistake, will have 19 cows this coming year as 5 heifers will be calving, thats where the 19 came from so should be 19 calves this year hopefully
    For the first few years i would only have 24 milking cattle and the plan would be to buy the land across the road and clear it myself with a digger, bringing me up to a 60 acre grazing platform which would be more than enough for 60 cows and a few heifers
    Doesnt help not being able to change the ways ould fellas farm :D Thats a lot to do with it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's many the buyer planned on buying land.
    But if the seller won't sell or sell to you that plan goes out the window.

Don't plan on it happening. Take it as a happy surprise if it does happen.
    I don't know what land is valued at in Cork. But if it was around here it would be the potential of it that makes the price. Buyers would see past the bushes and bid on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Remember a yank could also turn up at the public auction. (Or maybe it's the Arabs nowadays)

ruwithme wrote: »
    Remember a yank could also turn up at the public auction. (Or maybe it's the Arabs nowadays)

Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Chinese.

Or worse, the Dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ford4life wrote: »
    Cutting down on insurance would be grand until something goes up in flames :D Thats for 3 tractors, (all 3 will be vintage this year so thatll bring it down) the buildings etc. Tis for the calves the ration is for, a few bought in calves, incalf heifers and weanlings, that would be including a few pieces for the farm we would get off drinagh hardware so not entirely ration but the vast majority of it is
    That should of been 14 cows and 14 calves btw, just realized my mistake, will have 19 cows this coming year as 5 heifers will be calving, thats where the 19 came from so should be 19 calves this year hopefully
    For the first few years i would only have 24 milking cattle and the plan would be to buy the land across the road and clear it myself with a digger, bringing me up to a 60 acre grazing platform which would be more than enough for 60 cows and a few heifers
    Doesnt help not being able to change the ways ould fellas farm :D Thats a lot to do with it tbh

I insure two tractors, our own house, a farmhouse that is rented, two tractors, 8 bay cattle 400 sq meter cattle shed, a hay shed , cattle, employer liability for 5k, etc for 1500 euro.

For stocking level and considering that idealy Suckler cows needs no ration 2k in ration is huge IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I insure two tractors, our own house, a farmhouse that is rented, two tractors, 8 bay cattle 400 sq meter cattle shed, a hay shed , cattle, employer liability for 5k, etc for 1500 euro.

For stocking level and considering that idealy Suckler cows needs no ration 2k in ration is huge IMO

Jayus, the poor women in the local office,I'd say they love to see you coming.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Or worse, the Dubs!

It's more the English buying smallholdings down that part of the country I'd have thought. Or the Germans..

The cultural heart of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Yearly about a 1000 hours for myself and maybe 150 for the father

As an outsider looking in Id say if you looked at what your at youd probably tighten up a good bit on both time and money spent. I don't see what need youd have for 3 tractors, you can only drive one at a time.

Would you ever look at sheep?. You could be grazing sheep alongside cattle and maybe stores in the winter when cattle are housed. If you do your ag college course I think your green cert exempt too?. Tams grant would be there for fencing if needed.

Jayus, the poor women in the local office,I'd say they love to see you coming.

Never enter the office, I just shop around. There are. There are 5 at least insurance companies doing farm insurance. Too may people just pay the FVD quote every year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Sounds like your underinsured to me

There's many the buyer planned on buying land.
    But if the seller won't sell or sell to you that plan goes out the window.

Don't plan on it happening. Take it as a happy surprise if it does happen.
    I don't know what land is valued at in Cork. But if it was around here it would be the potential of it that makes the price. Buyers would see past the bushes and bid on.

Nearest dairy farmers that would be expanding like mad would be 30km away anyway and most likely wouldnt be interested in it as it would require a bit of clearing, good land would generally be 10,000 an acre, this land would require a bit of clearing, 90% furze with good earth underneath so max would be 4000 an acre, wouldnt pay that much for it though
    Not guaranteed by any means that she would sell it but would be a massive plus if she did

I would ask her to sell it private, not even a yank would be interested in this land I don't think :D they wouldn't see the value and I don't know if you could get permission to build on it tbh
    Bit random but I heard from a fella that you need planning permission to level more than 3 metres of rock, is this true? wouldn't, matter for this land across the road but more for at home

Are they undervalued? That seems extremely low.
    Our house might be in the farm insurance too not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nearest dairy farmers that would be expanding like mad would be 30km away anyway and most likely wouldnt be interested in it as it would require a bit of clearing, good land would generally be 10,000 an acre, this land would require a bit of clearing, 90% furze with good earth underneath so max would be 4000 an acre, wouldnt pay that much for it though
    Not guaranteed by any means that she would sell it but would be a massive plus if she did

I'm afraid you're in dreamland if you think land in west cork will go for 4k. Thats forestry pricing. Theres lads break rock and turn wet ground to grass down here, not mind pull out a share of furze...

I would ask her to sell it private, not even a yank would be interested in this land I don't think :D they wouldn't see the value and I don't know if you could get permission to build on it tbh
    Bit random but I heard from a fella that you need planning permission to level more than 3 metres of rock, is this true? wouldn't, matter for this land across the road but more for at home

4k an acre but you wouldnt pay that :p. Youre in for some shock if you ever do try to buy land

• Advertisement

As an outsider looking in Id say if you looked at what your at youd probably tighten up a good bit on both time and money spent. I don't see what need youd have for 3 tractors, you can only drive one at a time.

Would you ever look at sheep?. You could be grazing sheep alongside cattle and maybe stores in the winter when cattle are housed. If you do your ag college course I think your green cert exempt too?. Tams grant would be there for fencing if needed.

Ford 7810, ford 4000 with loader and a massey 35, 7810 does all hard work, 4000 does feeding and the 35 does the scraping, father wouldnt ever sell one of them and neither would I
    Getting sheep would require a lot of fencing, that would require around 4km of sheep wire, which wouldnt be too bad, it would be the time it would take to set this up would be the problem, plus those ****ers will do everything possible to kill themselves and some just decide one day to give up and die :D
    That college course gives the green cert that would qualify me for the TAMS, would the tams go towards getting a contractor to do it? I'd probably put up another shed with the grant instead

Ford 7810, ford 4000 with loader and a massey 35, 7810 does all hard work, 4000 does feeding and the 35 does the scraping, father wouldnt ever sell one of them and neither would I
    Getting sheep would require a lot of fencing, that would require around 4km of sheep wire, which wouldnt be too bad, it would be the time it would take to set this up would be the problem, plus those ****ers will do everything possible to kill themselves and some just decide one day to give up and die :D
    That college course gives the green cert that would qualify me for the TAMS, would the tams go towards getting a contractor to do it? I'd probably put up another shed with the grant instead

You can do both afaik. Fencing and sheds but could be wrong there. You can either get a contractor or do th work to spec yourself and claim a labour value per metre for your own work.

Mooooo wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're in dreamland if you think land in west cork will go for 4k. Thats forestry pricing. Theres lads break rock and turn wet ground to grass down here, not mind pull out a share of furze...

There is also rock aswell as the furze, would know the owner and shes fairly reasonable, she doesnt make much use of the land at all and would take a few thousand an acre for it i reckon, it is about 95% furze and rock and theres no expanding dairy farmers around me for 20/30km

You can do both afaik. Fencing and sheds but could be wrong there. You can either get a contractor or do th work to spec yourself and claim a labour value per metre for your own work.

The labour value claim would probably be the right job, what would be the story then in a few years if you wanted to get a TAMS grant in a few years time, be fine for the moment but if you only claimed anywhere under 15k it would be a waste of the grant imo if you couldnt get it again, be a lot mor value out of claiming 48k on a new shed/parlour etc

4k an acre but you wouldnt pay that :p. Youre in for some shock if you ever do try to buy land

I meant it would be preferable not to pay 4k+ for the land, if that was how much it would be going for then id have no choice as it is the only option to expand the grazing land to keep 60 cows and heifers comfortably

Yes this is right about rising or lowering ground by more than 3 or 4 metres. I wouldn’t think removing a few bits of rock would be a problem.

Sounds like your underinsured to me

Shed insured for 100k, hayshed for 9k. cattle for 70k, two tractors for 30k, one comprehensive the other 3 party,F+T, our home for 300k and rental( two bed farmhouse) 100k. As well cattle insured for electruction, transport and storm. 5K employer liability

Would not consider it undersurance and no point in over insurance.

Slava Ukrainii

Shed insured for 100k, hayshed for 9k. cattle for 70k, two tractors for 30k, one comprehensive the other 3 party,F+T, our home for 300k and rental( two bed farmhouse) 100k. As well cattle insured for electruction, transport and storm. 5K employer liability

Would not consider it undersurance and no point in over insurance.

Insurance companies will happily take your money for any value you put on property but if you don’t use they’re pricings your underinsured.

Insurance companies will happily take your money for any value you put on property but if you don’t use they’re pricings your underinsured.

And they will happily take your money of you over insure and you will still only get paid for by there accessment of the replacement value.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

And they will happily take your money of you over insure and you will still only get paid for by there accessment of the replacement value.

Mod: Further discussion by PM, please.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement