Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viability of small dairy farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

personally feel the OP has a future in quantity surveying

Concrete 600,blocks 500,labour 300,...sure lets make it e2000 on rough figure :pac:

I put the disclaimer that these are VERY rough figures there for a reason, twas a very rough guestimation at the costings for a lad, i realise i did the interest wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I might just add that you are leaving your estimates for finance and time badly skewed by factoring in that your father might be able to do milkings, or if you have kids they might be able to help out in future.

You should base your estimates not counting those things in. Because they might well not be in the picture. Your father (hopefully not) could get a serious illness, or be incapacitated. Kids, if you have them, and that is a big if, might not be interested or able. What if your child has special needs or a disability?

The possibility of extra help is a sort of extra bonus. You should never rely on such vagaries as part of a plan.

I think you really need to dial back your overly optimistic outlook on this. You are coming at this with a far too gung-ho attitude.

Grueller wrote: »
    At 450 points consider woodwork or metalwork teaching in UL. Hours to suit dairy or beef and reasonably well paid. Nice subjects too as youngsters like them so no trouble.

450 points would be a proper stretch, wouldnt be a bad job by any means once the children would listen, i would hate to be teaching our current class for woodwork and i'd hate to be known as the useless bastard in it for the pension as thats exactly what my woodwork teacher is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Ford4life wrote: »
    ill be 18 in a few days
    Father is 59, he'll be 60 next may
    Not trolling intentionally

Forget about cows. Forget about cubicles. Forget about tractors.

Talk about succession planning with your father. When will he be happy to give it up. He draws money from the farm. Are you going to still pay him or replace this income etc.

I'd hope to be out of it by 25 and getting into the dairy, be a very handy job for working on own tractors if anything went wrong, dealerships are a definite no so, im not doing too bad at ag science (H2) total points may be an issue, what would be your opinion on working in the council workshops do you know? the local one (15 mins away) is nearly always stuck for mechanics for repairs

Pretty much all my friends are dairy or beef farmers and all the dairy ones are going doing the dairy course, then straight home to work on the farm, friends in beef dont really have a plan for after school i dont think
    Will definitely take your opinion into account, will try harder at the leaving and maybe get to 400-450 points at a stretch, thats enough for an ag science course i think

The reason they are always stuck for mechanics is probably because no-one will do it because they probably pay shíte and probably treat the staff like dirt. If you are only getting into it so plan to be out of it at 25 then what is the point? And if you do happen to be running your own farm, despite having the knowledge, you are not going to have the time to have your head in under the arse end of a tractor bolloxin' and batin' the knuckles off yourself, when cows need milking and feeding and paper work need doing and fields need topping the other 101 jobs that you need to do. So you will probably have to call a local mechanic to do it, and be shocked at how much it will cost, and want him to do it cheaper because your farm margins are so feckin tight and your bank ac is already overdrawn. So you see, that whole thing is really a circle of just not enough in it to be worth it.

My opinion on the council workshops is that a) many councils don't have workshops anymore, and those that do are probably looking to wind them up in future and get work done by a framework of contractors. That is a fact. All council's are headed in that direction. One thing is for sure, they won't be hiring big groups of mechanics anyway.
    So just forget the council. It should be a complete non-runner. I told you about the council I work for. And the council in my home county, well they had a big machinery yard and tar depot in my hometown. That is all gone now, all liquidated and demolished and they are building social housing on the site. That should tell you the direction the local authorities are going.

Leaving cert is only 6 months away. Grin and bear it. Hit the books and try get as many points as you can. 450 should usually be enough to get you onto a proper, well regarded engineering or agriculture course in a university. 450 is fairly respectable score for a leaving cert. Go to a proper career guidance counsellor with good reviews. If you have to pay a few hundred for a few consultations, so be it. It is a good investment in yourself.

Forget messing with tractors and cows and stuff for 6 months and study hard, hard as you can. They will still all be there in the future.

As I said, when I was 17 and 18 all I was interested in was tractors and machinery and daysul and farming. I think it is a phase most fellas from farms go through. And of course I liked it, because it was only weekends and the odd evening i was at it. Luckily I snapped out of it once I got a taste of what it would be like for to do as a full time job. I grew to almost view it with distain. After that I worked in a job for the remainder of a year, I went to study engineering, and it is a career I enjoy. I work the hours I want within reason, for reasonable enough money, and I don't have to worry about getting crushed to death, or getting my face kicked in by a cow, or getting slowly poisoned to death by oils, heavy metals and chemicals. And I still tinker around with the tractor and engine restoration projects on the side at the weekends. So I still have that in an amount that i enjoy and don't have to depend on it to put bread on the table.

I dunno man. When I was your age I didn't listen either. Maybe you just have to take it in, go and do your year of trying it out full time, and then snap out of it. At least if you genuinely make an effort and work hard this year, you will have a decent leaving cert to fall back on and get a university education that will open so many doors and opportunities for you. We all have to find our way.

• Advertisement

OP, I have made my view on the mechanicing "career" known, so I will say no more about that. However, I still think diving into the dairy business at your first start at life is really cutting yourself short. You are only 17. From the way you talk here, you do seem driven and smart. I think you have much more potential than to be messing around with machinery or just spend your life dairy farming. Not that there is anything wrong with farming per se, but to just go straight into it without exploring more worthwhile and stable careers, you would be really hamstringing yourself. Get a proper qualification in some professional field related to agriculture or engineering if they are the fields that interest you.

If you want a more realistic window into the future, I'd recommend watching the film Pilgrim Hill. It depicts a what can be a rather grim and isolating reality it can be for someone like the character joe to reach middle early age having never broadened their horizons at the outset, and spend their life thus far in the thrall of the land and cows, haunted by the crushing regret at how things could have been different if life had taken a different path.

I think this line from the film about sums it up.....

........."if I were to die and meet the person i could have been, instead of the person I am now."....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkA3_yO1kJ4

Do you have the link for to watch the full movie?
    Caught between a rock and a hard place with the dairying, to be able to get into it late 20s would be the latest age to get into it anything later than that and youll spend your entire farming life paying back the bank, plus with the possibilty of children youd want to be well set up and have a stable income from it.
    That quote from Pilgrim Hill made me think of a few farmers around me tbh tis a powerful quote
    Will look into an ag science or electrical degree if i could get the points for it instead of the engineering, i may be stubborn but im not entirely thick :D
    30+years of milking cows would be a fair bit considering its twice a day nearly 300 days a year, but it is definitely what i would like to do eventually as my love really is for farming

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just like you shouldn't commit yourself to dairying at 17yrs old, I'd definitely suggest going out and doing an engineering degree and get afew yrs of real world experience before coming back like in your late 20s to do a hdip and go teaching, with 450points you should have plenty aptitude to get an engineering degree.

When i said 450 points would be a stretch i mean its a really long stretch, i dont have the memory capacity for writing down 6 years worth of stuff in 3 hours, im good at remembering useless ****e but not stuff i actually want to remember, I wouldnt be going into dairy straight away, my original plan was ag engineering course in pallaskenry but now im not so sure about it as Conor has pointed out its a fairly **** job for minimal pay and just pure abuse, and then around age 25 maybe head home and start plans to convert to dairy then

I might just add that you are leaving your estimates for finance and time badly skewed by factoring in that your father might be able to do milkings, or if you have kids they might be able to help out in future.

You should base your estimates not counting those things in. Because they might well not be in the picture. Your father (hopefully not) could get a serious illness, or be incapacitated. Kids, if you have them, and that is a big if, might not be interested or able. What if your child has special needs or a disability?

The possibility of extra help is a sort of extra bonus. You should never rely on such vagaries as part of a plan.

I think you really need to dial back your overly optimistic outlook on this. You are coming at this with a far too gung-ho attitude.

The estimates for finance was done for just purely myself working with no one else around at all.
    Cousin of mine is nearly 80 and all he wants is to stay milking cows until the day he dies, a few daughters that are married but not sure if their husbands would be interested in taking over, god only knows what will happen to the farm but at a guess it would be sold. Tis sad as its a flying farm and hes such a sound ould fella. He had always planned for a child to take over from him but im afraid it wont happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

The estimates for finance was done for just purely myself working with no one else around at all.
    Cousin of mine is nearly 80 and all he wants is to stay milking cows until the day he dies, a few daughters that are married but not sure if their husbands would be interested in taking over, god only knows what will happen to the farm but at a guess it would be sold. Tis sad as its a flying farm and hes such a sound ould fella. He had always planned for a child to take over from him but im afraid it wont happen

A cousin who is 80. Your story and plans have more hole than my welly’s.

Walter mitty alert. Get thee back to school.

893bet wrote: »
    Forget about cows. Forget about cubicles. Forget about tractors.

Talk about succession planning with your father. When will he be happy to give it up. He draws money from the farm. Are you going to still pay him or replace this income etc.

I can already tell he's half fed up with it, tends to be a "ill take a look at it tomorrow" if i mention to him that there might be a cow slightly lame etc. in the evening at the dinner table and its a 50/50 whether he will actually take a look. I wish there was money there for him to draw out any money from the sale of weanlings goes straight back in some way or another, hes not relying on it for an income at all and he'd nearly be better off without it as he puts in thousands extra over what he gets from the farm, he shows no signs of slowing down at the building, carpentry, plumbing etc. work as hes happy doing it
    He'd be too proud to take a wage is the most likely thing tbh

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    A cousin who is 80. Your story and plans have more hole than my welly’s.

Walter mitty alert. Get thee back to school.

Father of a second cousin* nothing wrong with your wellies so as im not lying lad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When i said 450 points would be a stretch i mean its a really long stretch, i dont have the memory capacity for writing down 6 years worth of stuff in 3 hours, im good at remembering useless ****e but not stuff i actually want to remember, I wouldnt be going into dairy straight away, my original plan was ag engineering course in pallaskenry but now im not so sure about it as Conor has pointed out its a fairly **** job for minimal pay and just pure abuse, and then around age 25 maybe head home and start plans to convert to dairy then

350-400 points will get you a lot of engineering courses in IT's. A degree or diploma will open doors to you. I know a young lad who did a construction. Managment or Civil engineering course not sure which. He disliked the work from his internship time during college but his father encouraged him to complete the course for the sake of 12 months.

He went working on a manufacturing line in an MNC after college. Now five years later he a shift manager in there. I am not sure what money he is in now but on the line he was earning a bit with 40k. I say he must be above 50k now.

Slava Ukrainii

Do you have the link for to watch the full movie?
    Caught between a rock and a hard place with the dairying, to be able to get into it late 20s would be the latest age to get into it anything later than that and youll spend your entire farming life paying back the bank, plus with the possibilty of children youd want to be well set up and have a stable income from it.
    That quote from Pilgrim Hill made me think of a few farmers around me tbh tis a powerful quote
    Will look into an ag science or electrical degree if i could get the points for it instead of the engineering, i may be stubborn but im not entirely thick :D
    30+years of milking cows would be a fair bit considering its twice a day nearly 300 days a year, but it is definitely what i would like to do eventually as my love really is for farming

Makes no difference. You will spend your life paying it back anyway, even IF, IF, you have kids. Kids are extraordinarily expensive to raise.

Indeed it is. That film Pilgrim Hill needs to be shown to people in school because it is literally the story of a massive swath of rural Ireland, much of which in the isolated parts is racked with isolation, depression, suicides. You know these fellas yourself sure. I have had to cut 2 people down in my locality. One a friend, who luckily survived and is doing OK.
    When i said 450 points would be a stretch i mean its a really long stretch, i dont have the memory capacity for writing down 6 years worth of stuff in 3 hours, im good at remembering useless ****e but not stuff i actually want to remember, I wouldn't be going into dairy straight away, my original plan was ag engineering course in pallaskenry but now im not so sure about it as Conor has pointed out its a fairly **** job for minimal pay and just pure abuse, and then around age 25 maybe head home and start plans to convert to dairy then

The Pallaskenry Level 6 & 7 courses aren't really worth much in themselves to be honest. You won't have much prospects to be hired on the back of either of them. The website alludes to this as it suggests progression onto traditional engineering degree. So they are a useful back door if you don't qualify for CAO entry. And you will probably be well ahead then as you'll have the experience and basics covered already.

Most universities do a common entry 1st year engineering. It gives a flavour of many disciplines of engineering and you then speciallise in the 2nd year onwards.

The reason they are always stuck for mechanics is probably because no-one will do it because they probably pay shíte and probably treat the staff like dirt. If you are only getting into it so plan to be out of it at 25 then what is the point? And if you do happen to be running your own farm, despite having the knowledge, you are not going to have the time to have your head in under the arse end of a tractor bolloxin' and batin' the knuckles off yourself, when cows need milking and feeding and paper work need doing and fields need topping the other 101 jobs that you need to do. So you will probably have to call a local mechanic to do it, and be shocked at how much it will cost, and want him to do it cheaper because your farm margins are so feckin tight and your bank ac is already overdrawn. So you see, that whole thing is really a circle of just not enough in it to be worth it.

My opinion on the council workshops is that a) many councils don't have workshops anymore, and those that do are probably looking to wind them up in future and get work done by a framework of contractors. That is a fact. All council's are headed in that direction. One thing is for sure, they won't be hiring big groups of mechanics anyway.
    So just forget the council. It should be a complete non-runner. I told you about the council I work for. And the council in my home county, well they had a big machinery yard and tar depot in my hometown. That is all gone now, all liquidated and demolished and they are building social housing on the site. That should tell you the direction the local authorities are going.

Leaving cert is only 6 months away. Grin and bear it. Hit the books and try get as many points as you can. 450 should usually be enough to get you onto a proper, well regarded engineering or agriculture course in a university. 450 is fairly respectable score for a leaving cert. Go to a proper career guidance counsellor with good reviews. If you have to pay a few hundred for a few consultations, so be it. It is a good investment in yourself.

Forget messing with tractors and cows and stuff for 6 months and study hard, hard as you can. They will still all be there in the future.

As I said, when I was 17 and 18 all I was interested in was tractors and machinery and daysul and farming. I think it is a phase most fellas from farms go through. And of course I liked it, because it was only weekends and the odd evening i was at it. Luckily I snapped out of it once I got a taste of what it would be like for to do as a full time job. I grew to almost view it with distain. After that I worked in a job for the remainder of a year, I went to study engineering, and it is a career I enjoy. I work the hours I want within reason, for reasonable enough money, and I don't have to worry about getting crushed to death, or getting my face kicked in by a cow, or getting slowly poisoned to death by oils, heavy metals and chemicals. And I still tinker around with the tractor and engine restoration projects on the side at the weekends. So I still have that in an amount that i enjoy and don't have to depend on it to put bread on the table.

I dunno man. When I was your age I didn't listen either. Maybe you just have to take it in, go and do your year of trying it out full time, and then snap out of it. At least if you genuinely make an effort and work hard this year, you will have a decent leaving cert to fall back on and get a university education that will open so many doors and opportunities for you. We all have to find our way.

The fellas inside there are well treated and earn good wages, I know 2 of them so I would be well looked after there if they are still around in a few years time, one fella goes through 2 packs of fags a day and still manages to keep a woman at home who isnt working, this council yard isnt showing any signs of slowing down at all, it covers a huge area of the county. You are right about them using contractors for equipment and whatever else but there still needs to be fellas on hand to repair them when they go wrong, I'd be hoping that with a decent bit of management on my part that I wouldn't be rushed off my feet every hour of every day when farming,
    Main thing i have realised from this thread is how useless the guidance counsellors in school are

350-400 points will get you a lot of engineering courses in IT's. A degree or diploma will open doors to you. I know a young lad who did a construction. Managment or Civil engineering course not sure which. He disliked the work from his internship time during college but his father encouraged him to complete the course for the sake of 12 months.

He went working on a manufacturing line in an MNC after college. Now five years later he a shift manager in there. I am not sure what money he is in now but on the line he was earning a bit with 40k. I say he must be above 50k now.

Civil engineering is designing bridges, roads etc. isnt it? Also do you mean he had a starting wage of 40k?

No lad. I'm telling you. Forget this council stuff. I know that business well, so you have to listen and trust me on it. Councils are moving away from owning and operating their own gear. It is a conscious decision at Local Government Management Agency level. Some councils are progressed on it to a significant degree, while others haven yet to but at some stage they will. It is absolutely inevitable.

And no, if equipment is leased in or hired, the maintenance and repair is done by the leasing or hire company. A lot of machines you see and assume are the council, being operated by council staff, are not owned by the council at all. They are leased or on hire, sometimes with the operator also. The council in my area once had a substantial Plant and Machinery Division, but that is all gone now. They are now just a smaller team who manage the contracts for the leasing and hire.
    Civil engineering is designing bridges, roads etc. isnt it? Also do you mean he had a starting wage of 40k?

It does include that but you must remember that civil engineering it is an extremely broad term with many specialist disciplines. It would also include main drainage projects, water supply, wastewater, flood relief projects, river & habitat restoration, traffic engineering, gas pipelines, ports and harbours, coastal defences, buildings (structural engineering specialism). And there can be a lot of overlap between the specialisms too.

But also remember, that doing a degree in engineering does not equate to being an Engineer. Not in the true sense of the word anyway. It is only the beginning, the first step on the road to becoming an Engineer. After a the undergrad degree you generally nowadays have to do a masters degree also. Then at the very least, 4 years industry work experience, but more commonly 5-6 years before you can get chartered and recognised as a professional of proven competence in the field.

As a graduate with a masters degree you wouldn't be getting 40k. Maybe 30ish nowadays. But once you prove your abilities it should increase steadily, and once you are chartered, many more opportunities become available and you can make very very decent money. But it can be stressful and a lot of responsibility and pressure sometimes, but not always.
    I think a big element of being successful at it is not so much your technical skills, but rather your ability to solve practical problems effectively, and being a strong communicator and able to deal with people is probably the most important of the lot. The technical stuff can always be figured out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

1,2 and 4 arent possible with these restrictions :D Cant beat a bit of AC/DC either, music nowadays is fairly ****e in comparison in my opinion :D

Thunderstruck in the muck all the way horsebox.. or in your case eh Hells Bells n Milkin Cows.. :)

Makes no difference. You will spend your life paying it back anyway, even IF, IF, you have kids. Kids are extraordinarily expensive to raise.

Indeed it is. That film Pilgrim Hill needs to be shown to people in school because it is literally the story of a massive swath of rural Ireland, much of which in the isolated parts is racked with isolation, depression, suicides. You know these fellas yourself sure. I have had to cut 2 people down in my locality. One a friend, who luckily survived and is doing OK.

The Pallaskenry Level 6 & 7 courses aren't really worth much in themselves to be honest. You won't have much prospects to be hired on the back of either of them. The website alludes to this as it suggests progression onto traditional engineering degree. So they are a useful back door if you don't qualify for CAO entry. And you will probably be well ahead then as you'll have the experience and basics covered already.
    Most universities do a common entry 1st year engineering. It gives a flavour of many disciplines of engineering and you then speciallise in the 2nd year onwards.

That must be unimaginably tough, were they both farmers?
    The courses would give a somewhat basic education, its still education at the end of the day and when looking for employment the fella with a lot more education will be favoured even if it is a useless course

Yes if I remember right starting rate was 16.50/hour, he then had an attendance bonus, an on time bonus and if you achieved all this you got on to an extra shift list. You might get one a fortnight.

Slava Ukrainii

Where was he working for?
    That must be unimaginably tough, were they both farmers?
    The courses would give a somewhat basic education, its still education at the end of the day and when looking for employment the fella with a lot more education will be favoured even if it is a useless course

One fella was and I had to cut him down with my father when we found him at a bridge adjoining the land. It was back in the recession and he had bought machinery he ended up not being able to pay for. Left a family behind.

The friend of mine is actually a mechanic and worked on the home farm too. Most of his friends had moved away and the isolation of the area had been getting to him, even though it was not all that isolated being probably 40 minutes from a city. He had gone on a bit of a spiral , with drink coming into it and then hanging out local gobsítes who were not a good influence. He actually hung himself twice, I found him the second time. Lucklily he was Ok and seems to be doing better now.

• Advertisement

No lad. I'm telling you. Forget this council stuff. I know that business well, so you have to listen and trust me on it. Councils are moving away from owning and operating their own gear. It is a conscious decision at Local Government Management Agency level. Some councils are progressed on it to a significant degree, while others haven yet to but at some stage they will. It is absolutely inevitable.

And no, if equipment is leased in or hired, the maintenance and repair is done by the leasing or hire company. A lot of machines you see and assume are the council, being operated by council staff, are not owned by the council at all. They are leased or on hire, sometimes with the operator also. The council in my area once had a substantial Plant and Machinery Division, but that is all gone now. They are now just a smaller team who manage the contracts for the leasing and hire.

It does include that but you must remember that civil engineering it is an extremely broad term with many specialist disciplines. It would also include main drainage projects, water supply, wastewater, flood relief projects, river & habitat restoration, traffic engineering, gas pipelines, ports and harbours, coastal defences, buildings (structural engineering specialism). And there can be a lot of overlap between the specialisms too.

But also remember, that doing a degree in engineering does not equate to being an Engineer. Not in the true sense of the word anyway. It is only the beginning, the first step on the road to becoming an Engineer. After a the undergrad degree you generally nowadays have to do a masters degree also. Then at the very least, 4 years industry work experience, but more commonly 5-6 years before you can get chartered and recognised as a professional of proven competence in the field.

As a graduate with a masters degree you wouldn't be getting 40k. Maybe 30ish nowadays. But once you prove your abilities it should increase steadily, and once you are chartered, many more opportunities become available and you can make very very decent money. But it can be stressful and a lot of responsibility and pressure sometimes, but not always.
    I think a big element of being successful at it is not so much your technical skills, but rather your ability to solve practical problems effectively, and being a strong communicator and able to deal with people is probably the most important of the lot. The technical stuff can always be figured out.

Where would you go working as a civil engineer first to gain experience? Can you give me a list of a couple of companies names that deal with that stuff.
    Might consider a career in electrics too maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Clearly someone hasnt been listening, basically, start off with 24 cows, second hand milk parlour and new bulk tank, costing roughly 40,000 then once thats paid off within 4 years as i accounted for in my rough costings, save towards a new 60 cubicle shed (probably cost in the region of 120,000) and milking parlour (region of 100,000), get the TAMS grant hopefully so should save about 70,000 on the shed bringing the cost down to around 150,000 so should be able to pay off within 10 years easily, i can switch off im not a complete asshole, i prefer to be busy but will obviously slow down in the evenings anyway
    Never smoked in my life and dont plan to start either i have more sense than that, not addicted to sugar either

Just to let you know. The investment ceiling for current TAMS is 80k.

If you qualify as a young trained farmer (which you won't yet) then you could get 60%. So that puts a ceiling of 48k on your grant money for your cubicles. If you don't qualify yourself as a young trained farmer, that maximum limit drops to 32k.

The grant scheme may or may not be available when/if you think you will be in a position to build.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Thunderstruck in the muck all the way horsebox.. or in your case eh Hells Bells n Milkin Cows.. :)

Staying awake alllll night longgggg watching cows for calving, back in black as your covered in grease, oil or **** walking into the house and no one recognises you :D

Just to let you know. The investment ceiling for current TAMS is 80k.

If you qualify as a young trained farmer (which you won't yet) then you could get 60%. So that puts a ceiling of 48k on your grant money for your cubicles. If you don't qualify yourself as a young trained farmer, that maximum limit drops to 32k.

The grant scheme may or may not be available when/if you think you will be in a position to build.

I thought it was that way too, its 60% of the total cost and the max they will pay out is 80,000
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/buildings-focus-70-new-cubicles-and-a-slurry-lagoon-in-co-galway/
    Go down to the how much did the shed cost section
    it would require more saving up or more of a loan whichever would suit better if there was no grant then.

Where was he working for?

One fella was and I had to cut him down with my father when we found him at a bridge adjoining the land. It was back in the recession and he had bought machinery he ended up not being able to pay for. Left a family behind.

The friend of mine is actually a mechanic and worked on the home farm too. Most of his friends had moved away and the isolation of the area had been getting to him, even though it was not all that isolated being probably 40 minutes from a city. He had gone on a bit of a spiral , with drink coming into it and then hanging out local gobsítes who were not a good influence. He actually hung himself twice, I found him the second time. Lucklily he was Ok and seems to be doing better now.

Thats good to hear that hes doing good, theres plenty of the wrong crowd in every town, if you get in with them your pretty much ****ed

Yes if I remember right starting rate was 16.50/hour, he then had an attendance bonus, an on time bonus and if you achieved all this you got on to an extra shift list. You might get one a fortnight.

Im starting to think, i could nearly earn that much working with a farmer and contractor in a year from driving machines, easy work just with long hours, flat out in summer and if you are good, youd be put feeding cattle and the odd milking, plus for me anyway it would nearly be more enjoyable, office jobs wouldnt suit me as i would prefer to be active and moving around not sitting in a chair staring into a computer for 8 hours a day

Where would you go working as a civil engineer first to gain experience? Can you give me a list of a couple of companies names that deal with that stuff.
    Might consider a career in electrics too maybe

Well it depends. You can work in a number of difference types of places as a civil engineer. Since it is such a broad field, you could be doing a multitide of things.

1. Consultant engineers. You'd be mostly working on things like design of schemes of work, analysing problems and coming up with solutions anything from small things you could hold in your hand like designing a particular steel or concrete component part, or bigger sizing the types of beam to go into a building's floor or roof, to even bigger things like modelling how a whole building reacts to wind loads, to much bigger scale stuff like analysing and modelling the rainfall and flow of water in the whole river Shannon basin, to looking at the numbers of bikes, pedestrians and vehicles moving through a whole city road network in order to optimise it. A lot of desk work and report writing sometimes.
    You could also be assigned to supervise work being carried out by a contractor on a construction site. That is a resident engineer job, and can be highly paid.
    There are literally hundreds of companies but the big names in the field would be the likes of Arup, Jacobs, RPS, Atkins, Mott McDonald,

2. Contractor. The action end of it. Machinery, muck shifting, digging, big concrete pours, laying pipelines, building buildings, etc etc. You could be setting out work, organising work crews and machinery, looking after health and safety would be a big enough part of an engineers job. Depending on your position, you could be paid say 30k as a site engineer to perhaps 100-120k as a contract manager in charge of the whole job or several jobs.
    Companys like Sisk, BAM, Hegarty, Roadbridge would be the big name companies in this side.

3. Utilities and public authorities. Public or private organisations like Councils, Irish Water, ESB, Bord Gais, broadband and telecoms companies, the Office of Public Works, some Government Departments. Managing day to day engineering operations of the businesses they run, and managing consultants and contractors who are brought in to do non-routine work or build new infrastructure for them.

4. Other companies like property developers, or big multinationals with factories would often hire civil engineers to look after and manage building maintenance and any changes or new build stuff. Even the HSE would employ a certain number of civil engineers to manage their maintenance and new build jobs.

As an electrical engineer, you could easily end up working for any of the above also, certainly in the bigger employers.

I think the resident engineer type job would suit you maybe. Or working site based with a contractor.

Another type of job in civil engineering would be to become an engineering technician. It is more hands on stuff, perhaps doing different types of surveys in the field, working with different types of technical equipment, perhaps lab work testing materials and components, doing engineering drawings on a computer and so on. It used to be a level 7 degree for this but it is moving more towards a level 8 degree for to work as a technician nowadays.
    Im starting to think, i could nearly earn that much working with a farmer and contractor in a year from driving machines, easy work just with long hours, flat out in summer and if you are good, youd be put feeding cattle and the odd milking, plus for me anyway it would nearly be more enjoyable, office jobs wouldnt suit me as i would prefer to be active and moving around not sitting in a chair staring into a computer for 8 hours a day

Possibly. But the thing is, in 15 or 20 years time, you would still be earning the same wage. 15-20 years after graduating from 4/5 years in a good engineering school doing a civil generalist and you would be looking at a good 80k per year if you were good and progressed.

But remember, doing a qualification is not the same as being an engineer. You do an accredited qualification, typically to level 9 nowadays, then you work and gain experience and train on-the-job for 4-5 years, then you become professionally qualified as an chartered engineer. This is an subtle but important point. There are any number of people floating around being loosely called engineers because they studied engineering at some level at some time, but they aren't professionally qualified as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I thought it was that way too, its 60% of the total cost and the max they will pay out is 80,000
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/buildings-focus-70-new-cubicles-and-a-slurry-lagoon-in-co-galway/
    Go down to the how much did the shed cost section
    it would require more saving up or more of a loan whichever would suit better if there was no grant then.

No. The article is misleading you.

What they might have done (assuming the figures are correct) is to have structured things as a registered partnership. In that scenario the TAMS ceiling is 160k.

80k would then receive grant aid at 40% (=32k) (father)

80k would receive grant aid at 60% (=48k) (qualified young farmer son)

Total aid received is 80k. But that is because there are two people applying. And they have to be set up correctly to do that.

Big difference is as you say long hours. No structure to the day, some days flat out some days they prefer if you were not around. Time off when it is no use to.you.inntge middle of winter.

MNC's are brilliant employers, health insurance paid for and a pensions contribution. As well a possibility of moving on with a career. Working for a farmer or contractor max they will pay is 15/ hour most farmers would be at 11-12 max. Contractors at present are at 12-14 if they can get away with it. There are MNC's paying more and less than that.
    As you get older it easier to do a bit after an 8 hour day from an inside environment rather than from a physical job. As well not all handy jobs are office bound.

Local Authorities now have building Technicians employed. They are checking the rental houses that are taken for HAP. I imagine that there pay scale is heading for 40k or above it. They travel out to check houses. A pudding of a job if there ever was one.

The other thing you do not understand is that a lot of office jobs are capable of being done WFH. In ten years time a huge percentage of office jobs will be like that. You could even make milk cows with them

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Well it depends. You can work in a number of difference types of places as a civil engineer. Since it is such a broad field, you could be doing a multitide of things.

1. Consultant engineers. You'd be mostly working on things like design of schemes of work, analysing problems and coming up with solutions anything from small things you could hold in your hand like designing a particular steel or concrete component part, or bigger sizing the types of beam to go into a building's floor or roof, to even bigger things like modelling how a whole building reacts to wind loads, to much bigger scale stuff like analysing and modelling the rainfall and flow of water in the whole river Shannon basin, to looking at the numbers of bikes, pedestrians and vehicles moving through a whole city road network in order to optimise it. A lot of desk work and report writing sometimes.
    You could also be assigned to supervise work being carried out by a contractor on a construction site. That is a resident engineer job, and can be highly paid.
    There are literally hundreds of companies but the big names in the field would be the likes of Arup, Jacobs, RPS, Atkins, Mott McDonald,

2. Contractor. The action end of it. Machinery, muck shifting, digging, big concrete pours, laying pipelines, building buildings, etc etc. You could be setting out work, organising work crews and machinery, looking after health and safety would be a big enough part of an engineers job. Depending on your position, you could be paid say 30k as a site engineer to perhaps 100-120k as a contract manager in charge of the whole job or several jobs.
    Companys like Sisk, BAM, Hegarty, Roadbridge would be the big name companies in this side.

3. Utilities and public authorities. Public or private organisations like Councils, Irish Water, ESB, Bord Gais, broadband and telecoms companies, the Office of Public Works, some Government Departments. Managing day to day engineering operations of the businesses they run, and managing consultants and contractors who are brought in to do non-routine work or build new infrastructure for them.

4. Other companies like property developers, or big multinationals with factories would often hire civil engineers to look after and manage building maintenance and any changes or new build stuff. Even the HSE would employ a certain number of civil engineers to manage their maintenance and new build jobs.

As an electrical engineer, you could easily end up working for any of the above also, certainly in the bigger employers.

I think the resident engineer type job would suit you maybe. Or working site based with a contractor.

Another type of job in civil engineering would be to become an engineering technician. It is more hands on stuff, perhaps doing different types of surveys in the field, working with different types of technical equipment, perhaps lab work testing materials and components, doing engineering drawings on a computer and so on. It used to be a level 7 degree for this but it is moving more towards a level 8 degree for to work as a technician nowadays.

Possibly. But the thing is, in 15 or 20 years time, you would still be earning the same wage. 15-20 years after graduating from 4/5 years in a good engineering school doing a civil generalist and you would be looking at a good 80k per year if you were good and progressed.

But remember, doing a qualification is not the same as being an engineer. You do an accredited qualification, typically to level 9 nowadays, then you work and gain experience and train on-the-job for 4-5 years, then you become professionally qualified as an chartered engineer. This is an subtle but important point. There are any number of people floating around being loosely called engineers because they studied engineering at some level at some time, but they aren't professionally qualified as such.

4 years of college though then 2 or 3 years experience before you go out on your own :( be 30 years old before you start getting anywhere at all plus there isn't 100% security in that, what if there was another crash in the building sector 7 or 8 years of recovery is a long time to be without a job, and I'd be hoping to be heading home to the farm then anyway, making millions isn't my concern, having a job to fall back on if things went to **** in dairy and make a handy living is
    Civil engineering would be a good job, but it just wouldn't suit me trying to get into dairy before 30

Advertisement