Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from home and future of city centres

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

BruteStock wrote: »
    No company is ever going to hire some guy in India to work remotely from his crappy local ISP. Think of the data thats being sent across the world.
    Won't ever happen

Very mistaken and naive I must say.

The likes of Infosys have campuses with thousands of people performing IT tasks for various companies. In my own place our network architecture can be accessed and tweaked instantly upon approval to the offshore engineers.

"Some guy in India" is actually quite a sophisticated operation with all the resources, tools and capabilities at hand for a successful outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I understand that some of the Big Tech companies over extended as they were in heavy competition with each other for upcoming space and were afraid of not having room to grow so were taking up leases left right and centre. Certainly they are going to have to break leases or leave space idle , as they were the first companies to commit to allowing WFH forever.

But alot of your non tech companies are currently not looking at major changes bar setting their offices up for more hot desking in the future. No need to take on additional space but you can have additional staff.

One of the big Irish banks announced just before Christmas they were cutting their Dublin head office space by 50% and not renewing leases as they come due. This is only the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

COVID has only hurried up the change we were going to see eventually. One of the first posters said they had not seen much difference in office rentals. Thats false. I know of multiple companies who have pulled out of huge offices in Dub.

This is a small country. Rural Ireland is dying and it needs this injection of life and people. They have seen the other side and the life work balance that they can have. Hopefully their bosses have too, otherwise they will walk when the old way of living is forced back in

Advertisement