Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Raining now. I am not surprised as the clouds in the build up did not look very wintry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Marine affect in place to my north. No snow in Donegal hills below 1000 feet but down to 400/500 feet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I am talking about large settlements.

Yeh and I was talking about the highest town. It is a free forum and is a relevant point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Raining now. I am not surprised as the clouds in the build up did not look very wintry.

I'm looking at your shower from a distance here. It has a very ragged looking white top which suggests that it is the decaying stage.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

AuntySnow wrote: »
    What's your wet bulb temp ?

Using: https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_rh

His WBT is 1.27c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Marine affect in place to my north. No snow in Donegal hills below 1000 feet but down to 400/500 feet here.

Honey pot cafe letterkenny 38m

https://mobile.twitter.com/ConorSharkeySC/status/1352597831006228483

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is 85 metres above sea level considered high ground?

That shower was a poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Observing the wet bulb temp here the last couple of times it (briefly) snowed, it seems anything below +0.5 to +0.7c is favorable for snow with the more feathery, fluffy stuff occurring closer to zero and below.

New Moon

Think the average elevation in Ireland is around 60 metres so you are above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Mimon wrote: »
    My home town (Bailieborough Co. Cavan) is apparently is the highest altitude town in Ireland and its 145 metres ASL. Just Roundwood higher and that is a village.

Edit: Quick google says more villages higher.

Knockananna co Wicklow is 205mtrs + asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Another mountain man! is there any low landers at all on this thread??? :P

My parents in Wex town is at about 50m ASL i'd imagine and it was snowing just as heavy as the clip I had up for about 45 minutes this morning. They didn't get the same coverage though and was gone in about an hour.

Mad the difference 100 metres makes.

I am talking about large settlements.

Glencullen co Dublin rises to 297 metres in its 'village,its district, some of which is higher than its village centre has a population of 14,000
    Tallaght is over 100 metres at its centre,is still known as a village and has a population of well over 100,000

Anyone reporting snow from Sligo/Roscommon? The showers there on the Met E radar look quite heavy and trying to be optimistic that a couple of the beefier ones might make it to me in Westmeath.

You could be above or slightly below the snow line. It is definitely enough to have the precipitation change in marginal situations.

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Yes that’s not Inishowen, nor is it near lough foyle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

ICON a bit of a downgrade for tomorrow night but GFS is all go

7-A454-A56-0886-4-C9-B-B8-EA-1-C6-F839914-F4.jpg

Has it well intact crossing the country

8464-F260-A810-496-A-AEE0-0-ACAE8526264.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Another mountain man! is there any low landers at all on this thread??? :P
    I’m only 48m asl :-( and not a mountain in site so not too likely to get snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That’s not a local accent! Letterkenny is a bit odd in that it’s widely above 100 metres, there aren’t too many towns at that height here.

Letterkenny's in a river valley, lower parts of the town including much of the town centre are pretty much at sea level but it rises up to ~180m on the hill sides where most residential areas are. I think I'm at around 80m

No more snow this afternoon here, all the showers since midday have managed to dodge us and a lot of what did fall earlier has melted again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bank

83-A5-A12-B-DBF6-4950-BC73-E8041-FA8-A3-DF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I'm looking at your shower from a distance here. It has a very ragged looking white top which suggests that it is the decaying stage.

Slight hint of winteryness in a big shower that skirted by here. I couldn't get any higher to get a better picture. Nice high tops out west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Jeez Im getting nervous now. Im even afraid to look at posts in case ye say its all off. Above chart looks good but TOO often wev been let down to be certain. Even Met Eireann have Rain Hail Sleet and Snow and then "some" of sleet or snow to cover their asses.

Also its raining here now was snowing in morning. Also cloudy too. Temperature wont get cold enough here if this cloud doesnt clear for a period. 2c isnt cold enough for snow in Sligo.

Im panicking:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    Jeez Im getting nervous now. Im even afraid to look at posts in case ye say its all off. Above chart looks good but TOO often wev been let down to be certain. Even Met Eireann have Rain Hail Sleet and Snow and then "some" of sleet or snow to cover their asses.

Also its raining here now was snowing in morning. Also cloudy too. Temperature wont get cold enough here if this cloud doesnt clear for a period. 2c isnt cold enough for snow in Sligo.

Im panicking:(

no need to panic really. These cold zonality style set ups nearly always lead to disappointment and the GFS always makes these events look more snowy than reality. Expect nothing and if there is a dusting then that's a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Harmonie has Waterford and south Wexford bearing the brunt of the precipitation. Although it showed nothing for here this morning so maybe could be upgraded a bit.

harmonieeur40-1-38-3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some models developing a little circulation of precip on this system Saturday night, few members have it pushing back in from the Irish Sea over parts of east Leinster into Sunday, 2 members give 10cm of lying snow in Greater Dublin areas by Sunday lunchtime, all members give widespread snow-cover but generally just 1-2cm and probably over played due to the melt factor

pad199207 wrote: »
    Bank

83-A5-A12-B-DBF6-4950-BC73-E8041-FA8-A3-DF.jpg

Cheers. Have to go to work Sunday morning. Might park outside the estate just in case it pans out.

Apologies for doing the all about me/my location question but what depth roughly would that bring in the midlands does anyone know? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Harmonie has Waterford and south Wexford bearing the brunt of the precipitation. Although it showed nothing for here this morning so maybe could be upgraded a bit.

that looks much more realistic compared to the GFS. No snow or just a few flakes of dandruff for Meath and Dublin. These weak fronts regulary seem to break up for the central part of Leinster and this one looks to be similar going by that chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

A passing shower at 4'o clock in the morning doesn't really do it for me. Basically the same as a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not really in my opinion.

150m - 250m is high ground/uplands
    250m-375m is hills
    375m+ is mountainous.

Below 50m is low-lying/sea level.

Nothing scientific about that, just my take on the lie of the land on this fair isle. :)

Danno wrote: »
    Not really in my opinion.

150m - 250m is high ground/uplands
    250m-375m is hills
    375m+ is mountainous.

Below 50m is low-lying/sea level.

Nothing scientific about that, just my take on the lie of the land on this fair isle. :)

From the discussion earlier there are hardly any settlements at high altitude. the vast majority of people would live below 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

That’s not a local accent! Letterkenny is a bit odd in that it’s widely above 100 metres, there aren’t too many towns at that height here.

Creggan, any estate on Sherrifs Mountain and I'd imagine parts of the Waterside in Derry would be close to, if not over 100m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement