Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

pad199207 wrote: »
    Southerly ahead of it. Switching to the NE as it passes through. Variable you could say.

That means rain at my location
    In other news it's currently 2c in Moscow and 0.9c at my station
    It is colder here than Moscow at the moment
    Not often the case in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Good dump of snow here in north county dublin. I reckon 5 or 6cm. Hopefully more tonight.

Rubbish, I live in North County Dublin and there is not a flake....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

EPS average snow depth by tomorrow midnight:

c7FZkOi.png

About as low res as you can get. I would take this chart at face value (but it probably won't be that far off the mark) but view it more just to see where snow would be more likely to potentially fall.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

ffarrell7 wrote: »

Yeah not sure where they are seeing the snow in NDC. We got fortunate in reality overnight. I think we may miss the worst of it compared to other areas

We have only has two snowfalls in West Dublin so far. A dusting on New Year's eve and about 2 cm a couple of weeks ago.

The Dublin mountains has done pretty well so far though with plenty of lying snow with the Wicklow mountains doing best off all I imagine so far in the country as is usually the case.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    EPS average snow depth by tomorrow midnight:

c7FZkOi.png

About as low res as you can get. I would take this chart at face value (but it probably won't be that far off the mark) but view it more just to see where snow would be more likely to potentially fall.

Thats it
    From looking at the 6z gfs for tomorrow morning at 6am the shallow low is in the Irish sea
    Wind here is NW but changes to SE between then and noon rising coastal temperatures turning any precip to rain here if it isn't rain already

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

This morning The Reek (Croagh Patrick) is showing off last night's precipitation:

540453.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

I think the latest NMM 2km looks very plausible with band staying intact as it crosses the country.

nmm_uk1-1-20-0_xph2.png

Just posting the hires models to try get a general feel for what's likely to transpire. Yes I agree sometimes low resolution can twig the overall picture but I like details but in this scenario perhaps I'm being a bit too picky ��

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Think they got ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The radar is starting to show ppn already out off the West coast.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Decent snowfall overnight in Letterkenny, about 2-3cm on the ground (measured with a tape measure to ensure I wasn't being flathúlach ;)). Lovely morning now with blue skies and sunshine and no dripping sounds so far

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

The radar is starting to show ppn already out off the West coast.!

High cloud filtering in here already on the west mayo coast

I think the latest NMM 2km looks very plausible with band staying intact as it crosses the country.

nmm_uk1-1-20-0_xph2.png

Just posting the hires models to try get a general feel for what's likely to transpire. Yes I agree sometimes low resolution can twig the overall picture but I like details but in this scenario perhaps I'm being a bit too picky ��

Shaffenaker on BBC news 24 jus now,blended forecast from meteogroup illustrating how easily tomorrow's will fall as rain on the coast as the circulation brings in the marine layer

nmm_uk1-1-20-0_xph2.png

Shaffenaker on BBC news 24 jus now,blended forecast from meteogroup illustrating how easily tomorrow's will fall as rain on the coast as the circulation brings in the marine layer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

AuntySnow wrote: »

Jesus. That's some wig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Enjoy the snow, a lot of us will see a bit. It's not the 10cm+ falls that I rate as true snowfall at low level but in these warming times, as good as we can get I believe. We'll get the odd one in 50 year event, like 2018. Or a one on 30 like Dec 2000. Snow is a rarity here so it's understandable we like to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wintry in sw donegal today
    540463.jpg

It definitely seems as if the east of the country will bear the brunt of this snow. Met Eireann talking about further accumulations for East and Dublin region and heavy snow tonight and tomorrow.

Maybe on the coast itself it will be more marginal.

I don't see much snow accumulating in the South or South west near the coasts though..

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

It definitely seems as if the east of the country will bear the brunt of this snow. Met Eireann talking about further accumulations for East and Dublin region and heavy snow tonight and tomorrow.

I don't see much snow accumulating in the South or South west near the coasts though..

And the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Think they got ya

Yeh, really got him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think a vast swathe from within north Kerry -> east Mayo/Galway -> south Ulster -> Wicklow -> Waterford will see snow, starting later this evening in the southwest. This is not just an eastern event.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

The front tonight weakens as it reaches the East coast. The West and Midlands looks best placed for tonight..There looks to be a wrap around tomorrow that may favour the East Coast. All to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Good dump of snow here in north county dublin. I reckon 5 or 6cm. Hopefully more tonight.

Where is your nearest town? Only frost in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks like Clare will get a decent amount too, right in the path of it, though sleety type rain is forecast as opposed to snow.

murfo wrote: »
    Where is your nearest town? Only frost in Swords

He smoking too much pipe!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Quite frankly shocked the snow isn’t melting in the sun! Hoping that front stays away from me so that we can get a sharp frost!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Latest TAF for Dublin airport is out and it's a major upgrade.
    Moderate snow forecast between 0000-0500

Chooooo Choooo....all aboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On shore wind will probably have us wrong side of marginal tomorrow morning.

But for that I'd be a lot more up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

On shore wind will probably have us wrong side of marginal tomorrow morning.

But for that I'd be a lot more up for this.

How far inland would the onshore wind affect us Kermit? You talking all of Dublin the wrong side of marginal tomorrow morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Latest TAF for Dublin airport is out and it's a major upgrade.
    Moderate snow forecast between 0000-0500

Chooooo Choooo....all aboard :)

It's actually light snow (-SN) with a slight chance of moderate (SN), but who cares, it's snow.

TAF EIDW 231100Z 2312/2412 27010KT 9999 FEW018
    BECMG 2316/2318 24005KT
    BECMG 2320/2322 VRB03KT
    TEMPO 2400/2405 3000 -SN BKN007
    PROB30 TEMPO 2400/2405 1800 SN BKN004 SCT017CB

BECMG 2403/2405 15007KT
    TEMPO 2405/2412 4000 -SHRA BKN007 SCT017CB
    PROB30 TEMPO 2405/2410 2000 -SHRASN BKN004
    BECMG 2406/2408 08005KT
    BECMG 2408/2410 05013KT=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement