Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://images.app.goo.gl/t2jMmbg5vbvwH5Xu6

This satellite image was taken sometime in Dec 2010. Waterford and some of coastal Cork also seemed to miss out. Anyway apologies for steering thread off topic but Dec 2010 was my all time favorite snow event (Even more so than Emma). I got to enjoy it both in Dublin and then my home county of Kerry for the run up to Christmas which made it magical!

22 DECEMBER . https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/features/2010/ire-snow1210.html507997main_ireland670-1210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECM6z run out to tomorrow 3pm. Blue is forecast snow:

vZFXxRm.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nice frost this morning but it feels very mild now in Galway. Feels like 5C. Praying for snow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    ECM6z run out to tomorrow 3pm. Blue is forecast snow:

vZFXxRm.gif

Yeah, starting as snow here in Dublin but once the wind goes on shore could get messy.

Some models have it staying as snow, some sleet and some even rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of ice here this morning. Think snow will miss Sligo. It makes an attempt then does a u turn. But tomorrow evening more precipitation but more and more it will be modified by Atlantic so might be just cold rain by then. Think the South will do well and Dublin tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

And that was before mega snowfall on the 23rd December. I was in town that night and it was near blizzard conditions that evening! Walked through Stephens green on Christmas Eve, it was a winter wonderland

quote="John mac;116018042"]22 DECEMBER . https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/features/2010/ire-snow1210.html507997main_ireland670-1210.jpg[/quote]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I am down for -5c tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

No melt here at all thankfully. A proper snow day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

We've had plenty of decent snow events in the past few decades, off the top of my head 95, 00, 09, 10, 13 and 18 all had very notable snowfalls, maybe not nationwide but a full nationwide event is rare as hens teeth.

Anyways, can see the outer bands of the front are just coming in here now after a lovely sunny morning, surprised how nice and powdery snow is, unusual for a NW'erly

IMG-20210123-131014-01.jpg

The snow is melting here somewhat. The sun is just too strong.

Think you need frozen ground to sustain snow cover in strong sun. Looking forward to a strong frost tonight.

• Advertisement

Yeah, starting as snow here in Dublin but once the wind goes on shore could get messy.

Scandic charms are being sent your way:

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even with a temperature of just 1C snow will melt during the day, especially if the sun is out. Daytime high's of 0C or below are needed for small amounts of snow to stay on the ground throughout the day.

Once we move into the end of February and beginning to March this becomes even more difficult to sustain. During the BFTE/Storm Emma even tho temperatures were 0 or below by daytime, there was still some snow melt going on due to the strength of the sun at the start of Spring. This event of course had snow falling most of the time and the huge amounts on the ground made it difficult to spot the melting but it was there to a small degree even with daytime temperatures of -1C.

I am on the west side of a hill, so I get the strongest sun in the late part of the day. If you head over to the eastern side most of their snow will probably be entact.

I find you need a frozen ground prior to the snow (not just a frost) and more than few cm’s.

I am hoping at least some of it stays!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BBC weather forecast shows that circulating band of snow in no hurry to leave the east coast tomorrow morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlmp_atQ9o8

The presenter also has a 70s thing going on.

It looks like he has a wig on, but yeah it looks good for the east tomorrow away from the immediate coast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Close of the Slieve Mish Mountains a bit earlier , cloud filling in now , still a few slivers of blue getting through.

4.3C

light SSE'ly

Bar 994.5 hPa Falling Slowly

EqeenEK.jpg?1

QPCpC0s.gif

IszXHnu.gif

Quite cloudy now. All the snow has melted from the tarmac. Previous experience with anything off the Atlantic tells me it will be rain or sleet here, but the models do suggest otherwise.

The fantastic pictures this morning prove once again how brilliant cold weather can be. If i had my way we'd have a three month freeze every winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We are on the cusp of a significant snowfall here.
    Judging by the latest radar ppn is looking quite beefy out West. Will it all fall as snow is the big question.
    My one concern (story of this winter) is will the uppers be cold enough?!
    If they are perhaps Met Eireann need a better warning giving likely cm across the country.
    For Cork it's looking good if we can avoid the wind backing Southerly for too long

Quite cloudy now. All the snow has melted from the tarmac. Previous experience with anything off the Atlantic tells me it will be rain or sleet here, but the models do suggest otherwise.

Once the low moves in it should start pulling cooler air in over you again from the midlands. I think you'll be alright.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The fantastic pictures this morning prove once again how brilliant cold weather can be. If i had my way we'd have a three month freeze every winter:D

As a snow lover I'd agree with you apart from the hazardous ice component. Both my elderly parents have had bad falls in recent years because of it so I actually hate the ice but love the frost and snow. Contradictory, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

We are on the cusp of a significant snowfall here.
    Judging by the latest radar ppn is looking quite beefy out West. Will it all fall as snow is the big question.
    My one concern (story of this winter) is will the uppers be cold enough?!
    If they are perhaps Met Eireann need a better warning giving likely cm across the country.
    For Cork it's looking good if we can avoid the wind backing Southerly for too long

From any precipitation charts I see Cork doesn’t get too much but a nowcast from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

No sign of snow east Galway.hope it stays that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    even with a temperature of just 1C snow will melt during the day, especially if the sun is out. Daytime high's of 0C or below are needed for small amounts of snow to stay on the ground throughout the day.

Once we move into the end of February and beginning to March this becomes even more difficult to sustain. During the BFTE/Storm Emma even tho temperatures were 0 or below by daytime, there was still some snow melt going on due to the strength of the sun at the start of Spring. This event of course had snow falling most of the time and the huge amounts on the ground made it difficult to spot the melting but it was there to a small degree even with daytime temperatures of -1C.

Haven't got a weather station here but there's no snow melt at all other than south facing roofs and the like. It's dry crunchy powder snow even in direct sunlight and no dripping sounds, first proper snow day we've had in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Surely satellite imagery is better to analyse than any models at this range?
    Anyone have good sat images of the front?

Edit: just seen Meteorites post above

Haven't got a weather station here but there's no snow melt at all other than south facing roofs and the like. It's dry crunchy powder snow even in direct sunlight and no dripping sounds, first proper snow day we've had in a while

Are you at elevation? Looking around me it’s very variable here and depends what direction your land is facing. West facing hills are melting but elsewhere none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

No sign of snow east Galway.hope it stays that way

Thank you for coming into a snow thread and telling us that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I'm off tomorrow so let it snow.... Snow shield up in cork I imagine tho, sun is really nice and warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

BBC weather forecast shows that circulating band of snow in no hurry to leave the east coast tomorrow morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlmp_atQ9o8

The presenter also has a 70s thing going on.

The sooner the hairdressers open back up the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thank you for coming into a snow thread and telling us that!

Here was me thinking it was a weather alert thread as per title.
    My sincerest apologies.
    How silly of me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement