Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Is that the entire of the front on radar now? Ahead of schedule if so, correct? Not good news for these parts as you want darkness and cold to get stuck in first....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Fronts nearly always seem to come earlier and push further north too. Perhaps it will slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

booferking wrote: »
    It looks to be out a bit front arrived earlier than what harmonie was showing.

Could mean the track turns out different if there's a big difference that early?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The sooner the hairdressers open back up the better

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Its not the meeting of three airmasses. What you are seeing is different types of clouds and clouds at different altitude.

The cloud that you see to the south of Ireland is high cloud, the cloud to the west is part of a frontal system and the system to the north is convective showers.

In this image you can see that the colder air is still hanging on in the north coast, with the lighter purple further south. The air is slightly warmer around the high cloud to the south also.

ll9aPLr.jpg

Not looking south of Ireland - what's happening on the front to the NorthWest of Belmullet?

A tripple point??

• Advertisement

Temp at 12 ft height here is 2.9c and steady. Temp at 1 foot height is 2.1c and rising. Sky has the usual look of impending rain.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Not looking south of Ireland - what's happening on the front to the NorthWest of Belmullet?

A tripple point??

Of sorts, yes.

ukmo_nat_fax_2021012312_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The sky over Galway city has that look to it when you have wintery precipitation aloft which never actually makes it to the ground, apologies for the completely un-scientific description.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

1.4c here in Firhouse Dublin 24 and my eyes are deceiving me as I'm looking out the window in anticipation of snow!!!! I keep seeing/imagining the beginnings of snizzle but of course it isn't.

Yet.

Snow, snow, glorious SNOW!!!

(It's gonna happen just because it's my husband's birthday tomorrow and he loves it too. )

Bring it ON.

The sky over Galway city has that look to it when you have wintery precipitation aloft which never actually makes it to the ground, apologies for the completely un-scientific description.

Fainted hint of small mammatus in the lowering altostratus here.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

hoping to record a time-lapse tonight overnight if it all goes well for Dublin.

Of sorts, yes.

ukmo_nat_fax_2021012312_000.png

That's a funny looking front on the chart - care to explain it to a dummy - please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

FYI

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Sky looking wintry here just outside the Westport but no sign of precipitation yet despite radar saying otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Lowest grade sleet here in West Clare, please turn into snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain to Sleet to big flakes of wet Snow / Sleet now near Tralee and quite heavy under a very dark sky

Temp dropping away

WBT 2.16C

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temp at 12 ft height here is 2.9c and steady. Temp at 1 foot height is 2.1c and rising. Sky has the usual look of impending rain.

Yep - totally "un-meterological" but they "look" like rain clouds from here in Roscommon too 😀

Neddyusa wrote: »
    That's a funny looking front on the chart - care to explain it to a dummy - please?!

Which one, just to the west of Belmullet? It's just an occlusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Rain to Sleet to big flakes of wet Snow / Sleet now near Tralee and quite heavy under a very dark sky

Temp dropping away

WBT 2.16C

Keep us posted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Macdarack wrote: »
    Lowest grade sleet here in West Clare, please turn into snow.

She's doing her besht to turn into snow, I need to get use out of 2 sledges I bought after the March 18th fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

West Dublin in the firing line for about 4-5 cm of snow and locally 6-7 cm which is not bad.

Temperature currently hovering about 1° on the Phoenix Park.

Airport warnings: Validity period in the form DDHHHH/DDHHHH

(Knock) EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 231800/240200 SNOW MOD 1 to 3 CM FCST=
    (Cork) EICK AD WRNG 02 VALID 231801/232100 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=
    (Shannon) EINN AD WRNG 02 VALID 231700/232100 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=

Wet bulb temp here over the last hour. 2.3c at 3pm down to 1.4c at 4pm. Lowering but still too high for snow as of yet.

vNS8XIZ.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    West Dublin in the firing line for about 4-5 cm of snow and locally 6-7 cm which is not bad.

Temperature currently hovering about 1° on the Phoenix Park.

I’ll have whatever your having :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's very much a nowcast situation with relation to precipitation tonight and tomorrow, very very uncertain how the little low centres on the feature will behave.

Even with regard to east coastal marginality, the wind direction is still up in the air it's probably the most nowcast event I can remember.

Some sweet spot could get 5-10cm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Temp dropping away

WBT 2.16C

That’s a very good sign for inland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sleet with snowflakes mixed in in West Clare, fairly wet. Radar intensity much higher than reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm still undecided on an all nighter on this given there could be snowfall on east coasts for a good portion on tomorrow. I must choose my sleepy time wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I'm still undecided on an all nighter on this given there could be snowfall on east coasts for a good portion on tomorrow. I must choose my sleepy time wisely.

I wouldn’t do an all nighter if I was you. Instead set the alarm for 6:30 or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Get a nap before it arrives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement