Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It is a bit faster but is making very slow progress, what we think 4-5 hours until it gets to Dublin border?

difficult to say right now. First let's see if the front breaks up through the midlands on it's way to Meath/Dublin/Kildare as is modeled by many of the models. This is very much a nowcast.

froog wrote: »
    is the cork snowshield likely to hold for tonight?

Its looking dodgy in Cork
    At 530 Middleton and Macroom Road stations had air temps around 3c
    Ballyvourney near macroom but on higher ground is 0.9c though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Its looking dodgy in Cork
    At 530 Middleton and Macroom Road stations had air temps around 3c
    Ballyvourney near macroom but on higher ground is 0.9c though
    Ground temps have little to do with it.
    It's already snowing near Newmarket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

froog wrote: »
    is the cork snowshield likely to hold for tonight?

Think so. Seems to be disintegrating where I am anyway

Those are air temps I quoted..
    See the attachment
    Macroom 3.6c for example ,well inland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Heavy snow imminent for Cork.
    Expect a couple of cms between 6 and 9PM across the city though as always higher ground suits best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I wonder if a lot of people are going to be caught unexpected if snow does hit?? I hope it does I won't sleep tonight watching the window

See the attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Coming down nicely in castlebar now.

Westport ~ Castlebar ~ Roscommon.........same as the train line........CHOO CHOO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Proper snow in Galway now yeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Light snow Athenry, wind has picked up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Heavy snow imminent for Cork.
    Expect a couple of cms between 6 and 9PM across the city though as always higher ground suits best

I'm sorry what?! How do you know this? Snow ice walk for the evening if this happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I must hope southern Leitrim gets a good snowfall ah inch is all I'm asking for haha, just to walk on the snow I love that

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Winter wonderland near Westport, but snow is very light now with poor accumulations. That low is pretty weak (996 hPa) and moving away ESE fast, deepening a little to around 991 hPa in central England soon. However, chances are that there'll be a few 'noticeable' falls of the rare stuff here and there, as Clifden has proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

See the attachment

I wonder is that associated with the front? On meteociel it has Cork Airport at 5.30pm at 2c and -2 dp. I have a few thermometers here that usually line up well with the Airport and they suggest its now 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Steady as she goes.

3-BC255-E0-A3-F4-42-E6-B069-9-DCF1-CDEA4-F3.png

E4-F3-CB58-2154-4-E22-B85-D-B4936-FAD097-A.png

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

watlantic wrote: »
    Winter wonderland near Westport, but snow is very light now with poor accumulations. That low is pretty weak (996 hPa) and moving away ESE fast, deepening a little to around 991 hPa in central England soon. However, chances are that there'll be a few 'noticeable' falls of the rare stuff here and there, as Clifden has proven.

A secondary band incoming around 7. Looks a little more intense. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Radar showing invisible precipitation here in SW Donegal aswell. It's a winter Wonderland here too and it's all sparkling now temperatures low again.
    I think it's the first snow day here since probably 2014, snow that actually lasted all day.

I wonder is that associated with the front? On meteociel it has Cork Airport at 5.30pm at 2c and -2 dp. I have a few thermometers here that usually line up well with the Airport and they suggest its now 1c.

The airport is 500ft above sea level
    Some parts of Cork City are also high
    The temp at Macroom at 3c wouldn't be great for snow
    It is dropping slowly though
    Middleton is worse at almost 4c just 15 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Coming down heavy in south Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest models look a bit more promising for Meath/Dublin/Kildare compared to last night. (last time I checked).

Hirlam has the front making intact and even several hours of precipitation in the morning through Meath and Dublin before clearing into the Irish sea.

fmiuk-1-13-0.png?23-18

Icon has decided to join the party and finally showing a dusting for eastern areas and more in the morning.

iconeu_uk1-1-10-0.png?23-18

Arpege similar
    arpegeuk-1-15-0.png?23-16

This is certainly crossing the country earlier than anticipated. Could be snow in Meath/Dublin as early as 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Snowing in North Cork now for about 20min :)

Temperature holding steady here in Kildare at 1°c. We wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

snowing here just east of Gort, Co. Galway and 0.5c which is good news for the rest of the country as we rarely see snow coming in from the West

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

An extra few hours chilling in the east may assist in making the snow fluffier and accumulate more readily with no wastage to melting

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

light snow after now after nearly 90 minutes of radar showing precipitation but nothing falling. 5 km south of Tuam.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had 4.8mm with some slushy snow on the car roof, bit of a clearance now with some nice cloud structures looking NW from here near the Kerry coast

1.3C

Pic 10 mins ago, bit blurry, handheld

Kr0JqdS.jpg?1

pad199207 wrote: »
    Temperature holding steady here in Kildare at 1°c. We wait..

-0.2c in Arklow and now cloudy
    Wetbulb is -1.8c
    Dewpoint is -4c
    Wind west 3 to 5kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

So my friends in Dublin are wondering if they will get much snow, what's the latest models suggesting

• Advertisement

-0.2c in Arklow and now cloudy
    Wetbulb is -1.8c
    Dewpoint is -4c
    Wind west 3 to 5kmh

That’s just too cold for snow ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement