Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like were done here for the night. Turned out better than expected but not too far from reality. About 1cm to 1.2cm here, enough to make a small snowman. Skies are clearing here now so hopefully the drip sounds will stop and a frost with keep the snow intact for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

After a solid four hours at +0.2c here in S. Laois, the wind has switched SSW and dragged in slightly milder air from Kilkenny. :(

+0.8c now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Danno wrote: »
    After a solid four hours at +0.2c here in S. Laois, the wind has switched SSW and dragged in slightly milder air from Kilkenny. :(

+0.8c now

Those wild wind (and hence temp) changes are giving me a headache this evening in West Clare. Often occurs here too on frosty nights.

All over the place here this evening, the range since just midnight is +4.1c to +1.7c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Galway city getting a dusting now, ground getting white despite the wet, hovering about 0 to -1 degrees, would suspect it's only a short flurry in which case the ground will recover but may freeze on other surfaces

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Looking at the loop, it seems this system is coming together (rolling ashore) in Galway bay. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Looking at the loop, it seems this system is coming together (rolling ashore) in Galway bay. Interesting.

Also looks like the band off the Irish Sea will dissipate to wales, don’t see it piling back onto the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Also looks like the band off the Irish Sea will dissipate to wales, don’t see it piling back onto the east coast

Though the centre of the lp will likely be around the se of the country during the morning so it is possible for something piling back into the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heavy hail shower now in West Clare, currently 2.2 degrees, streets coated white.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

I don't think the band exiting the east coast was ever envisaged as returning ashore, I think the east coast will get showers and more organised bands of precipitation as soon as this low sinks SEwards and peps up an Irish sea shower train, its all about the low's northern flank for east-coasters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Looking at the rader it looks like the low atm is around east connacht?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Wow just looked out and snowing here. Forecast didn't give it. Nice top up on yesterdays snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Wow just looked out and snowing here. Forecast didn't give it. Nice top up on this yesterdays snow.

Same story here, snowing steady for the past 2 hours now. Models were miles off with how far north the precip would get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've never seen such a uniform temperature across large swathes of the country as at 2am. It's practically 0C everywhere!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stopped a few minutes ago, ground snow thawing quickly, galway city east

Same story here, snowing steady for the past 2 hours now. Models were miles off with how far north the precip would get

Good to hear. How deep is the snow there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Good to hear. How deep is the snow there?

Models and radar miles off. Is there anywhere I can see a radar that's accurate. I got 0.2mm of light mist from this event in Sligo n 0.2c temperature too.

As bad as 2018 if not worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Got a slight top-up here in Celbridge but still <1 cm. Casement didn't report any hourly snow depth but Dublin Airport did.

Midnight - 0 cm
    1 am - 2 cm
    2 am - 2 cm
    3 am - 1 cm
    4 am.- 1 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I don't think the band exiting the east coast was ever envisaged as returning ashore, I think the east coast will get showers and more organised bands of precipitation as soon as this low sinks SEwards and peps up an Irish sea shower train, its all about the low's northern flank for east-coasters now.

How is this coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow depths at 4 am. The Met Éireann stations (apart from the airports) don't report snow depth but the NI ones do (automated).

540640.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Zero precipitation in North Donegal tonight (well at least in my locality).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No snow since it stopped at 10 pm. It was foggy for the last couple of hours, which has now cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wonder will we see anything return to east?

Roads are treacherous out, slushy melting snow has now frozen

Main routes look ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

pauldry wrote: »
    Models and radar miles off. Is there anywhere I can see a radar that's accurate. I got 0.2mm of light mist from this event in Sligo n 0.2c temperature too.

As bad as 2018 if not worse

Netweather radar is best for my location. Met office probably the worst lately. Met eireann has improved but not as good as netweather for me at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Fairly poor sprinkling in Newbridge , has pretty much melted off the roads , and a sugar dusting on the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

That blob of the Irish Sea seems as if it might push back into the Dublin region especially North Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Nice little coating here east Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Nice little coating here east Galway.

The activity in the Irish Sea is definitely pepping up now and moving back into North Dublin area soon. There could be snow in an hour or so in the east.

Snowing heavily around Newry and Lisburn close to Belfast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No snow evident this morning in Dublin 16 (despite light snow falling last night for at least 30 minutes).

Eyes down now to see what the Irish Sea might produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No snow since it stopped at 10 pm. It was foggy for the last couple of hours, which has now cleared.

Woke up to fog here with temps hovering around zero. No real sign of melt yet which I am surprised to see but 'compacting' in evidence.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement