Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I’m not expecting any snow. In these events it always above 200 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Regarding measuring snow depth, I recall on here a discussion on the topic a few years ago, doesn't snow depth shrink after a while? i.e the depth would decrease with frost or compact etc. not thaw obviously

Im not expecting any snow tonight, Although still plenty of snow on the ground I can hear it melting (what a sad sound), doesn't seem cold enough to have lying snow ,hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Pangea wrote: »
    Regarding measuring snow depth, I recall on here a discussion on the topic a few years ago, doesn't snow depth shrink after a while? i.e the depth would decrease with frost or compact etc. not thaw obviously

Yes sublimation. Google can explain it better than me below 😆

Sublimation happens best on sunny days where the sun creates enough energy to allow the solid water to turn to a gas… skipping the melting phase. Snow can also sublimate with strong enough wind… this evaporates the snow before it has a chance to melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe a few surprises can't be ruled out overnight in the midlands either ;)

• Advertisement

Not with a warm front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

All radars say it should be raining here, not a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Its showing freezing rain in parts of the Midlands/southeast on netweather.

From experience there is usually very minimal evaporative cooling with these systems. The temperatures usually remains at the values that it was at when it arrives, rising after the front passes.

So if it was above freezing with poor values for snow, the precipitation will remain as rain.

So probably a 200 metre snow level gradually rising.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Not with a warm front.

I doubt it tonight but I've had a few hours heavy snow on a Sunday morning in January 2010
    In fact we were late for Mass as the roads were very bad,but thank God we got there safely and didn't crash, as our mum rubbed a relic of St Martin on the steering wheel and was blessing us with loads of holy water on the way in and said a decade of the Rosary

• Advertisement

I can confirm light rain atm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I can confirm light rain atm. :(

Are you near the coast?

Maybe a few surprises can't be ruled out overnight in the midlands either ;)

Currently-0.6c here near Arklow
    Dewpoint is -3.8c
    Wetbulb is -1.9c

Interesting Radar :eek:

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Are you near the coast?
    Yes I am

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Speaking of January 2010, i recall at the very end of that cold spell, Met Eireann forecasting an all rain event to end it. My father came in from outside and said i think there will be snow today despite what Met Eireann are saying. He was right, we had a 10 hour snowfall!
    The next day the radio forecaster ruefully said:"you can never turn your back on snow"

We had freezing rain here at -7c in 2010. Very odd.

It’s 1c here so I am expecting rain unless we have evaporative cooling.

Not sure why these frontal systems always end up being elevation limited. But temps here always seems to settle at 1-2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Light rain here on the coast of donegal bay, half a mile from the shore and at a height of only 15 metres. This event surprised me and was quite memorable here with the ground white since Saturday morning, only just starting to thaw this afternoon. We rarely get anything white to stay on the ground here, so was great to get out with the children this past few days in it. Even managed a snowman, a great boost and some fun in these current times. Overall not a bad winter in my opinion here at the coast, we have had plenty of ice days and even snow, better than most winters.Thanks to all the knowledgeable posters, been regularly following this forum since 2008.

Speaking of January 2010, i recall at the very end of that cold spell, Met Eireann forecasting an all rain event to end it. My father came in from outside and said i think there will be snow today despite what Met Eireann are saying. He was right, we had a 10 hour snowfall!
    The next day the radio forecaster ruefully said:"you can never turn your back on snow"

I remember the same for Christmas Day 2009 i think, i maybe wrong perhaps 2010 , all the forecasts had warmer air pushing in, It snowed here and I had a white Christmas that day and the cold ended up staying until into January.

Light rain here on the coast of donegal bay, half a mile from the shore and at a height of only 15 metres. This event surprised me and was quite memorable here with the ground white since Saturday morning, only just starting to thaw this afternoon. We rarely get anything white to stay on the ground here, so was great to get out with the children this past few days in it. Even managed a snowman, a great boost and some fun in these current times. Overall not a bad winter in my opinion here at the coast, we have had plenty of ice days and even snow, better than most winters.Thanks to all the knowledgeable posters, been regularly following this forum since 2008.

An ice day is a day where the air temperature stays sub zero throughout the day. You had plenty of those this winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember the same for Christmas Day 2009 i think, i maybe wrong perhaps 2010 , all the forecasts had warmer air pushing in, It snowed here and I had a white Christmas that day and the cold ended up staying until into January.

I remember you posting about it at the time. It was Christmas 2009. I had freezing rain from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    An ice day is a day where the air temperature stays sub zero throughout the day. You had plenty of those this winter?

Sorry for misunderstanding!, I have probably had zero "ice days" then. Days were under foot remains frozen and never thaws I meant, which in many winters are few and far between here.

Sorry for misunderstanding!, I have probably had zero "ice days" then. Days were under foot remains frozen and never thaws I meant, which in many winters are few and far between here.

Yes I understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

I remember you posting about it at the time. It was Christmas 2009. I had freezing rain from it.

Yea was Christmas 2009 -7c here most of the day with fog and snow on the ground then a front came in late afternoon and it rained was really strange event as was 0c while raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

[SNIP]

-5 going to work this morning and +5 coming home from work. North Galway. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

- 5 going to work this morning and +5 coming home from work. North Galway. Sigh.

[snip]

There’s a great bunch of people on here and with plenty of knowledge and experience and a welcome place to learn and grow with meteorology.

Something is trying to spit from the sky here near Arklow
    Not sure what yet
    -0.2c
    Dewpoint -3.3c
    Wetbulb -1.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's raining here in Carrick on Shannon, still snow in the garden, 1c at the moment

Light sleet here near Arklow
    A lot of flakes in it
    Flat calm
    Wasn't expecting that here
    Definitely full snow on the hills here,fulfilling the saying for up there, that when there's snow on the ground,some more has to come to take it away
    Currently 0.4c
    Wetbulb -0.9c
    Dp -2.7c

I obviously don't have a sounding balloon but there must be a strong mild layer above the inversion cooling that's enveloping ground level
    Its making a good effort I have to say

• Advertisement

There is still plenty of snow here above 250 metres. With a very slow melt at 300 metres. Not sure how long it will last but the snow is still powdery and frozen on the grass, which is a surprise.

It does appear to have snowed there last night as there is a coating of snow in the centre of the road.

0P4KEus.jpg
    5uze1RW.jpg
    SMDUyCL.jpg
    9NeGugU.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement