Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman assaulted at knifepoint in Dublin *MOD WARNING ADDED TO OP*

Options

Comments

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's you who struggles to understand. The same point is made time and time again, yet you fail to grasp it, or choose to overlook it. We have enough criminals in this country without mass immigration, we simply shouldn't be importing more. More crime makes our country a worse place. Surely you can agree on that simple point?

Is there some policy of importing criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

This thread is hilarious, people getting warned and banned for even hinting that the woman was attacked by African youths. The woman literally said it in her interview that the guy with the knife was a 'Blackman'. I live in Balbriggan and the close your eyes and pretend it's not happening attitude from the rest of the country and media is also hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This thread is hilarious, people getting warned and banned for even hinting that the woman was attacked by African youths

But that isn't happening. I haven't noticed problems in Balbriggan but I don't live there only visit sometimes, what exactly is going on that is so bad?

But that isn't happening. I haven't noticed problems in Balbriggan but I don't live there only visit sometimes, what exactly is going on that is so bad?

Woman are getting attacked at knifepoint in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's you who struggles to understand. The same point is made time and time again, yet you fail to grasp it, or choose to overlook it. We have enough criminals in this country without mass immigration, we simply shouldn't be importing more. More crime makes our country a worse place. Surely you can agree on that simple point?

No, I cannot.
    I'm sick of reading this faux concern about the safety and well being of the country when there is a suitable target of immigrants to point to with the suggestion that but for them things would be fine.

I am not naive enough to think that everyone who comes is going to be a saint, but if I was reading constructive posts on this site from posters who were genuinely interested in improving the security and experience of people living in the country then I might buy in to this narrative that people are concerned about any increased level of crime.

And for the additional crime that does come (because human nature being what it is), I think it is outweighed by the recognition that Ireland is a 21st century country which recognizes that when people are in need, it is better to offer show compassion than fear and judgement.

The Irish are in no position to talk about 'mass immigration' given firstly the numbers coming to Ireland in this way and secondly the way in which we travelled throughout the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But these types of crimes happen all over Dublin. Are they just happening more regularly in Balbriggan these days?

Unfortunately, that can and does happen anywhere, it's not specific to one town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

If there was accountability and justice in Ireland none of you would be worried about race. Can we focus on the fact that if caught most likely these guys will get a suspended sentence and there lies the problem. Stop diluting the issue discussing race or immigrants. Proper accountability should apply to all but in Ireland we have none.

The Irish are in no position to talk about 'mass immigration' given firstly the numbers coming to Ireland in this way and secondly the way in which we travelled throughout the world.

Irish emigration has nothing in common with asylum seeking inward migration.

Unless you can point out where the Irish emigrated to, that provided free housing, welfare supports, health and third level education assistance on arrival?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

So we're they black or not?

• Advertisement

Irish emigration has nothing in common with asylum seeking inward migration.

Unless you can point out where the Irish emigrated to, that provided free housing, welfare supports, health and third level education assistance on arrival?

The UK

RonaVirus wrote: »
    So we're they black or not?

Listen to her 98fm interview, I'd say the media are disgusted that she described them.

Has anyone mentioned that this attack was yards away from the spot where a man out walking his dog with his 11 year old son was also attacked by a gang of African youths. Battered and bruised in an unprovoked attack. This was the incident that sparked a protest by the locals. They marched to Balbriggan Garda station and stood outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Dude there have been more African Irish & travellers threads in the last 5 years here on boards than white Irish crime threads in the last 15 years.

That's because discussions about these topics which are in any way critical are simply not had in the national media or other public fora.

But these types of crimes happen all over Dublin. Are they just happening more regularly in Balbriggan these days?

Are many women attacked and beaten at knifepoint all over Dublin these days? I've not heard about them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Any objections to classing this as a hate crime?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Augeo wrote: »
    Are many women attacked and beaten at knifepoint all over Dublin these days? I've not heard about them tbh.

Fairly regular looking at this headline.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/major-rise-in-knife-crime-among-irish-youth-188735

"According to Freedom of Information figures, 178 people were hospitalised due to stabbings in 2019."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

silverharp wrote: »
    How would it be classified if a gang of whites attacked a black woman and there was no attempt of thief involved?
    If that occurred, the self-flagellation of the Irish Nation would be front and centre on the mainstream media outlets, spearheaded by RTE Investigates on how the native Irish are beyond saving.

Thinking back on how the victim described the gangs attempt to get at her face with the knife, it appears that they were intent to at least scar her for life. They wanted to leave their mark both physically and mentally. That is abhorrent behaviour.

silverharp wrote: »

You can bet your bottom dollar that if it was a black woman assaulted by knife welding white teenagers it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

That's because discussions about these topics which are in any way critical are simply not had in the national media or other public fora.

And the vast majority of our national media never mention the ethnicity of criminals that may, you know, aid in identifying or capturing them.

Very similar to the way the BBC has gone.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    How would it be classified if a gang of whites attacked a black woman and there was no attempt of thief involved?
    If that occurred, the self-flagellation of the Irish Nation would be front and centre on the mainstream media outlets, spearheaded by RTE Investigates on how the native Irish are beyond saving.

Thinking back on how the victim described the gangs attempt to get at her face with the knife, it appears that they were intent to at least scar her for life. They wanted to leave their mark both physically and mentally. That is abhorrent behaviour.

Instead well get Pat Kenny up here claiming that there are no problems.

Fairly regular looking at this headline.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/major-rise-in-knife-crime-among-irish-youth-188735

"According to Freedom of Information figures, 178 people were hospitalised due to stabbings in 2019."

Apologies....... I was referring to the sort of incident in this topic........ random, unprovoked ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That image is chilling. Faceless, unidentifiable youth cloaked in black with knife in hand. Conjures images of thief only the motive so much more malevolent.... almost medieval; even how can anyone speak of progress or evolution when we are cast so far back?

And the vast majority of our national media never mention the ethnicity of criminals that may, you know, aid in identifying or capturing them.

Very similar to the way the BBC has gone.

Unless the gardai actually need the public's assistance is identifying offenders, which doesn't happen very often, then there is no need to mention ethnicity. It is not important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

bubblypop wrote: »
    Unless the gardai actually need the public's assistance is identifying offenders, which doesn't happen very often, then there is no need to mention ethnicity. It is not important

It's very important if it becomes a matter disproportionality. Problems can't be fixed when the source is ignored.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It's very important if it becomes a matter disproportionality. Problems can't be fixed when the source is ignored.

No, the colour of someone's skin does not matter when it comes to crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

iebamm2580 wrote: »

The poor lady. So vulnerable, in that scenario but she fought her way out. Might we see a further spate of these “black the ripper” style attacks?

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, the colour of someone's skin does not matter when it comes to crime.

What if a criminal was at large ? Would it be useful of the Garda described the suspects?

• Advertisement

What if a criminal was at large ? Would it be useful of the Garda described the suspects?

As I said, if the gardai need the public's assistance, they will ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement