Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman assaulted at knifepoint in Dublin *MOD WARNING ADDED TO OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bobblehats wrote: »
    The poor lady. So vulnerable, in that scenario but she fought her way out. Might we see a further spate of these “black the ripper” style attacks?

If you wish hard enough it might happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Awful outbreak of mental health issues in Dublin recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What would the charge be if the attackers are caught ?

Assault ?
    Assault causing harm ?
    GBH if such a charge exists here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, the colour of someone's skin does not matter when it comes to crime.

But it does though, in Ireland it seems that it works in the favour of the criminal when they are non white, reference the incident in Cork recently and the scandalously light penalty dished out.
    Our legal system is already a joke shop, no one should be given more lenient sentences or special treatment because of the colour of their skin. This in itself will fuel racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If you wish hard enough it might happen

If you crank that jazz high enough their screams might go unheard

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    But it does though, in Ireland it seems that it works in the favour of the criminal when they are non white, reference the incident in Cork recently and the scandalously light penalty dished out.
    Our legal system is already a joke shop, no one should be given more lenient sentences or special treatment because of the colour of their skin. This in itself will fuel racism.

Sentencing is up to the judges.
    You will find defence solicitors come up with all manner of reasons mitigating their clients part in a crime.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The UK

Always?

Always?

Well I don't have knowledge of every single Irish applicant, but Irish people were entitled to social assistance.

If course, that totally off topic here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Here’s 2 black “gangs” (that don’t exist), attacking each other with knives and other weapons. Both groups must have been racially abused by horrible white people and have been forced to take the frustration out on each other.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/teen-gang-war-continues-dublin-22502497

Why don't you post videos of white Irish scum?

Here’s 2 black “gangs” (that don’t exist), attacking each other with knives and other weapons. Both groups must have been racially abused by horrible white people and have been forced to take the frustration out on each other.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/teen-gang-war-continues-dublin-22502497

I think the fact that two gangs of teenagers attack each other with weapons is shocking.
    I'm not sure why you draw attention to their Skin colour though? Can't see any relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It seems like action needs to be taken in the Balbriggan area in relation to this type of behaviour.

It's been dragging on for years at this stage, the status quo isn't working.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Its easy for people that don't live in Balbriggan to go onto social media or forums and say its all lies and there is no problem. I mean Pat Kenny and RTE came here and interviewed a young African lad who is doing great in school and who experiences racism on a daily basis so really everything is fine. Tell that to people who are afraid let their kids out or go for a walk. Given there are some parts of the town that are safer than others but overall whomever decided it would be a good idea to house thousands of immigrants in one area have created this problem and no amount of closing your eyes and sticking your fingers in your ears will make it go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But that isn't happening. I haven't noticed problems in Balbriggan but I don't live there only visit sometimes, what exactly is going on that is so bad?

Gangs attacking each other and stabbing each other. (Stabee refused to give a statement).

Women being attacked in broad daylight.

2 girls attacked at night.

That’s in the last few months that I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because it is typical of what is going on in Balbriggan, the town that the attack happened in, remember? I hope I didn't 'insult' you again.
    That gang stuff has been going on since the 1950s and is not a new phenomenon. Social media just amplifies it a lot more now, along with Dublin Live, and teens under 18 are rarely if ever punished.

Gangs attacking each other and stabbing each other. (Stabee refused to give a statement).

Women being attacked in broad daylight.

2 girls attacked at night.

That’s in the last few months that I can think of off the top of my head.

You forgot one of the worst incidents, a man walking his dog with his son received a pretty bad hiding for no reason. Further not everything makes the news and there has been plenty of incidents over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You forgot one of the worst incidents, a man walking his dog with his son received a pretty bad hiding for no reason. Further not everything makes the news and there has been plenty of incidents over the last few years.

That was a few years ago. I was just going on things that happened very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There’s no shortage of racist little knackbags in this country. It’s the claims of institutional racism I take absolute umbrage with.

Strumms wrote: »
    Color no. Not in the slightest. But if they are are person who has arrived from outside the state, seeking assistance from this country, and the citizens here.. has been given cash, accommodation, advice, safety, security, whatever else... and that’s payed back by becoming a violent criminal...or any criminal...

Their origin or ethnicity becomes part of the wider debate quite frankly....because we should not be importing that type of individual, they should in turn... on being convicted be exported back to where they came from...

And who is importing criminals?
    Do you have a Crystal ball that allows you to see what immigrants to this country or their children will do in the future?
    If you do, perhaps we could use it on all people?

I'm curious to see how the fringe right wing parties will do in future elections. I didn't think it possible that they would ever get anywhere, now I'm not so confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I'm curious to see how the fringe right wing parties will do in future elections. I didn't think it possible that they would ever get anywhere, now I'm not so confident.

They won't.

Even now, they are getting less than 1% of the vote.

This idea that the Far-Right are "on the march" is just the NGO Industry tilting at windmills for more funding.

• Advertisement

we've been tolerating and having a soft approach towards violent teens for as long as I am alive, why would we change any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am pretty confident.
    The people they have fronting them are loopers with zero charisma thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Your man said every single one of us was dirt poor. I was making the point that some Irish people benefited from British endeavours, that's all.

fair enough man but it was a bit pedantic, if thread could get back on topic, essentially i started this thread because of our judicial system being soft on teens, nothing to do with race, as has been said if tougher sentences were handed down it would deter teens from all backgrounds in acting the bollox.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    fair enough man but it was a bit pedantic, if thread could get back on topic, essentially i started this thread because of our judicial system being soft on teens, nothing to do with race, as has been said if tougher sentences were handed down it would deter teens from all backgrounds in acting the bollox.

we are in agreement there

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Augustduck

My partner and I got attacked by 3 youths with a knife about 10 years ago in Ballymun, asked for wallet and threatened with a large butcher knife. absolutely terrifying. they must of been about 14, we were 19. Was so shaken after it, def experienced pTSD for a long time after, i was terrified of anyone wearing a tracksuit! I am guessing they were just doing it out of boredom and testing boundaries and just been general fukrs but the knock on effects took a looong time to get over. Hope this woman recovers okay.

Augustduck wrote: »
    My partner and I got attacked by 3 youths with a knife about 10 years ago in Ballymun, asked for wallet and threatened with a large butcher knife. absolutely terrifying. they must of been about 14, we were 19. Was so shaken after it, def experienced pTSD for a long time after, i was terrified of anyone wearing a tracksuit! I am guessing they were just doing it out of boredom and testing boundaries and just been general fukrs but the knock on effects took a looong time to get over. Hope this woman recovers okay.

That sounds horrific I hope you recovered. The fact that this lady had earphones in listening to music and was struck from behind then slashed makes it really terrifying. I'm a grown 6ft 1 man and I would be terrified never mind a woman surrounded by 3 attackers. I really hope they are apprehended and given stiff sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I am sorry to hear that AD. It must have been a very traumatic ordeal for you both.

This thread is being derailed again by the same few posters; those who will thank the very last post on the thread when it is closed, as it will be mission completed for them. Can't have us discussing white people being attacked by blacks in Ireland ..............

Just like the poster above, I hope the victim in this incident (i.e. the topic of the thread) will recover from this horrible attack.

Yea, I was about 19 when mugged by younger teens in Dublin. Leaves you shook for a long time. One of the lads in particular took it very badly, he left college after the first year and went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Augustduck

Yeah i dono if sentences are something that would cut it. Something that could breed empathy towards other humans would be better. Something in schools or similar that helps these youths see the effects their actions can have on a person. I think prisons or youth centres etc would just encourage and institutionalise a certain behaviour of crime. A change of mindset in certain parts of the population would help from all sides and for us all to see fellow humans as equal and not a we versus them. i know growing up you had to find ways to entertain yourself, just has to get through to people that attacking fellow humans is just ****. Like as teenagers we all find ways to rebel etc just should be instilled that you dont go stabbing random people for fun - so messed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Please read back the discussion we were having. He was asking for an example of institutional racism and I gave one with respect to housing visa vi a traveller and myself or himself as a white irish guy. This example was put in dispute due and I was asked for another example and that video was then provided.

Yeah but to have that discussion, you need to start by honestly identifying the perpetrators in this incident.

If there is an issue with black youths and these kinds of attacks then how are you going to address it if you won't identify it? People are afraid to identify it because they think that if you want to ask then then you have to be trying to say that black skin necessarily means trouble. It's not always that. You might need to figure out why certain groups are identifying in a certain way outside of "normal society" and what needs to be done to correct that. If people who were born here have the mentality that it is "us against them" and have a huge chip on their shoulder then you have to figure out why.

Anyway, btw, it is not "institutional racism" if individual landlords have preferences for certain tenants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement