Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman assaulted at knifepoint in Dublin *MOD WARNING ADDED TO OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    And the excuse that the guards wont get involved because of their skin colour doesn't wash with me.

Local native scummers in my area arent dealt with either and they are white. Guards just dont have the powers to deal with them. Once they are under 18 they just get slaps on the wrists. No punishment.

Then they grow into adult scummers and get a rake of suspended sentences.

The media dont lead with "Jim McGovern, a white man from Mallow..." either.

Agree the Gardai are totally hamstrung, must be very frustrating for them. Its arguable that not dealing with problems at a young age is seeing more and more turn to a life of crime as opposed to the opposite.

That and the utter lack of accountability that seems to exist these days for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

You incorrectly presupposed and proposed to me (to suit and support your own view) that I was 'accepting that there likely is institutional racism with respect to housing based on what has been said', I wasn't - and do not accept that there is 'institutional racism with respect to housing'.

But what if she was attacked BECAUSE she was white? I mean... would they have DARED attack one of their own? Honestly?

Well on he institutional racism stuff, since you didn't agree with the evidence I presented and didn't give any reason why, I'd have wanted to stay on that particular topic with respect to housing before moving on because it was one way that your following arguments would be undermined. The institutional racism stuff is off topic so lets not get into it here, we can talk about it in another thread if you want.

Regarding assuming the attack was a racist attack - this is ridiculous. Scumbags attack the most vulnerable. It has already been said by a few people in the thread. I know the mentality of a scrote since I had cousins that grew up in a very bad area and I spend some time there when I was younger. I mixed with the type of teens you'd see hanging around outside shops. All of us white. I saw how they think and how opportunistic they were in being scrotes and attacking a weak mark. It's quite odd how people like you jump on BLM if they are quick to label an incident a racist attack but do the exact same thing here, when there is absolutely no evidence to say it was a racist attack. That says quite a lot about you.

Yes, its not a race issue, its a scumbag issue. 95% of the black/white/purple/orange communities think these people are scumbags.

But they will be free to do it again, as there are little if any consequences (if they are even caught).

Agreed. Claiming it's a racist attack at this point says a lot about the person saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Agreed. Claiming it's a racist attack at this point says a lot about the person saying that.

Wonder if you'd say that when the races were reversed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Well on he institutional racism stuff, since you didn't agree with the evidence I presented and didn't give any reason why, I'd have wanted to stay on that particular topic with respect to housing before moving on because it was one way that your following arguments would be undermined. The institutional racism stuff is off topic so lets not get into it here, we can talk about it in another thread if you want.

Regarding assuming the attack was a racist attack - this is ridiculous. Scumbags attack the most vulnerable. It has already been said by a few people in the thread. I know the mentality of a scrote since I had cousins that grew up in a very bad area and I spend some time there when I was younger. I mixed with the type of teens you'd see hanging around outside shops. All of us white. I saw how they think and how opportunistic they were in being scrotes and attacking a weak mark. It's quite odd how people like you jump on BLM if they are quick to label an incident a racist attack but do the exact same thing here, when there is absolutely no evidence to say it was a racist attack. That says quite a lot about you.

Yet I'll bet any amount of money that you've zero issue assuming a racial element in regard to police shootings in America, without any evidence. If you people want to be taken seriously, which I doubt, then you're going to have to start trying to be consistent.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Agree, I felt the same when that lady was pushed into a canal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

RandRuns wrote: »
    Wonder if you'd say that when the races were reversed?

It really should be irrelevant. An attack is an attack unless you have proof race was a factor.

Attackers should be brought to justice either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well it wasn’t a robbery or sexual assault. It was about slashing up a white woman. It was a racist attack.

It really should be irrelevant. An attack is an attack unless you have proof race was a factor.

Attackers should be brought to justice either way

Agreed.

However, people who cry "RACIST ATTACK" in every case where the victim is non-white but twist and turn every way possible to deny even the possibility the attack could be racist when the victim is white should be pulled on it.

Because that is racism, pure and simple. And there are a lot of people in this thread that fit that description.

Well it wasn’t a robbery or sexual assault. It was about slashing up a white woman. It was a racist attack.

It was about picking on a young women. Its assault

• Advertisement

RandRuns wrote: »
    Agreed.

However, people who cry "RACIST ATTACK" in every case where the victim is non-white but twist and turn every way possible to deny even the possibility the attack could be racist when the victim is white should be pulled on it.

Because that is racism, pure and simple. And there are a lot of people in this thread that fit that description.

We should aspire to be better. Claiming an attack is racist without any proof just because the victim and the attackers are of different race doesn't make it a racist attack.

The victim was still attacked. Thats the main issue.

Do I think the shooting a few weeks back was as a result of racism? No.

Do I think the attack on the womon was racist? No.

Ive seen nothing in both cases to suggest race was a motive beyond their being different races on either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It was about picking on a young women. Its assault

Picking on? They tried to slash her face. This wasn’t kids trying to bully someone weaker than them. This was a planned attack to slash someone.

We should aspire to be better. Claiming an attack is racist without any proof just because the victim and the attackers are of different race doesn't make it a racist attack.

The victim was still attacked. Thats the main issue.

Agreed again.

Those that accussed the Gardaí of racism in the George Nkencho case for instance, many of whom are on this thread, should ask themselves if they are the real racists.

Picking on? They tried to slash her face. This wasn’t kids trying to bully someone weaker than them. This was a planned attack to slash someone.

Picking on my words doesnt change my point.

Yes she was attacked, if a horrible manner. Was she picked on for the attack due to her race? Who knows.

Was it planned? It looks premeditated.

Was it horrific ? Yes, no doubt.

Was it racially motivated? Its unclear.

Are the attackers scummers? Yes, regardless of their race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Evidence? Was that the... imagination-exercise thingy - about about the theoretical Traveller who was not able to rent a property? Or the single YouTube video about that one black lady who couldn't rent a property? THAT evidence?

Well look... we don't need to come to an agreement, as much as I would like to - you can believe race wasn't a factor in their decision to slash with a knife, an innocent young woman out walking alone - and I will believe that they simply would not DARE to do that to one of their own community.

Well look... we don't need to come to an agreement, as much as I would like to - you can believe race wasn't a factor in their decision to slash with a knife, an innocent young woman out walking alone - and I will believe that they simply would not DARE to do that to one of their own community.

What leads you to that conclusion?

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Yet I'll bet any amount of money that you've zero issue assuming a racial element in regard to police shootings in America, without any evidence. If you people want to be taken seriously, which I doubt, then you're going to have to start trying to be consistent.

Strange post. I don't assume a racial element without any evidence. That was my exact point. Not sure you read my post fully before replying.

Evidence? Was that the... imagination-exercise thingy - about about the theoretical Traveller who was not able to rent a property? Or the single YouTube video about that one black lady who couldn't rent a property? THAT evidence?

Not sure why you want to have a discussion and then not read or take into account what is posted. Just ignoring points made does not make them go away I'm afraid.

Again you've made a startling conclusion about the attack being a racist attack despite several posters trying to get through to you. You're entitled to your opinion but I cannot see how there is any evidence whatsoever of this being a racist attack. I think we can just agree to disagree here in general.

In a nutshell - because they care about each other. And why wouldn't they? It's a small community, and they share so much in common. I should imagine they would even know each other? She would certainly be able to identify them? And what then? Do you think her family would allow three of their own people to get away with slashing their daughter? Do you think the community would deem this acceptable behaviour? It would simply not be tolerated. That could be their sister, their mother, their auntie, their grandmother - there's no way they would risk everything, and attack a woman from their own community - not like this, not something so nefarious - they would be totally ostracised and rejected, and rightfully so. I should imagine, while waiting in the wings with knives in pockets - they daren't attack Favour, or Blessing or Kesandu, but wait for Jess, or Mary or Sinead instead.

It's only my opinion.

In the grand scheme, an attack is an attack and should be investigated by the law.

The woman here is the victim and hopefully her attackers will be brought to justice.

Regardless of their motivations, the attackers deserve to be punished.

• Advertisement

Nothing other than the alleged race of the attackers and the victim it seems. I'm not sure how this is even allowed on boards to be frank.

In a nutshell - because they care about each other. And why wouldn't they? It's a small community, and they share so much in common. I should imagine they would even know each other? She would certainly be able to identify them? And what then? Do you think her family would allow three of their own people to get away with slashing their daughter? Do you think the community would deem this acceptable behaviour? It would simply not be tolerated. That could be their sister, their mother, their auntie, their grandmother - there's no way they would risk everything, and attack a woman from their own community - not like this, not something so nefarious - they would be totally ostracised and rejected, and rightfully so. I should imagine, while waiting in the wings with knives in pockets - they daren't attack Favour, or Blessing or Kesandu, but wait for Jess, or Mary or Sinead instead.

It's only my opinion.

Wow, this is.. strange, very strange. Three scrotes attacked a lone woman like the scrotes they are. It happens all the time. See the recent thread I posted about the attack on the woman in Limerick.

Wow, this is.. strange, very strange. Three scrotes attacked a lone woman like the scrotes they are. It happens all the time. See the recent thread I posted about the attack on the woman in Limerick.
    You can call it strange - I call it logic.

It's only my opinion.

Ok you've made your case why a black youths wont attack a black person.

The attack then doesn't have to be racially motivated though. They didnt pick on her in your theory because she was white, rather not one of their own.

So they didnt set out to mug attack or harrass a white person, but just someone that wasnt their own race.

Their motivation in that scenario is still little scummers doing something scummy, rather than black youths attacking a woman purely because she is white.

For comparison, lets say you've 3 white scummers. They will propably not hop on someone they know from their local community. However tehy would hope on someone thats outside of their community, white or otherwise simply because they dont know them.

It's only my opinion.

An opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up except your own imagination, pretty worthless opinion and not one that anybody should take notice of.

bubblypop wrote: »
    An opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up except your own imagination, pretty worthless opinion and not one that anybody should take notice of.

I dont agree with his opinion, but he is entitled to it. I prefer challenging him on his opinion rather than demeaning his opinion.

I dont agree with his opinion, but he is entitled to it. I prefer challenging him on his opinion rather than demeaning his opinion.
    That is the only way to change minds friend.

There is nothing to challenge, because his opinion is completely based on something he made up in his imagination.

• Advertisement

There is nothing to challenge, because his opinion is completely based on something he made up in his imagination.
    You seem to be suggesting that imagination is something that has no value?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement