Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman assaulted at knifepoint in Dublin *MOD WARNING ADDED TO OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

So teenagers get dole and benefits and are supposed to work?
    I live in Raheny and never saw any of this mayhem. It's like Dublin Live in here ffs.

Yes indeed ! It’s all fine because I didn’t see it. I’ve more if you want but below is a start for you.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/north-dublin-tree-of-life-sculpture-damaged-when-set-alight-in-attack-1.4285559?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Valresnick wrote: »
    Yes indeed ! It’s all fine because I didn’t see it. I’ve more if you want be here is a start

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/north-dublin-tree-of-life-sculpture-damaged-when-set-alight-in-attack-1.4285559?mode=amp

I did see that actually. Black kids did this? This is something I should be worried about, kids being kids? My mates and I got up to all sorts as teenagers too, as I'm sure most of us did.

I did see that actually. Black kids did this? This is something I should be worried about, kids being kids? My mates and I got up to all sorts as teenagers too, as I'm sure most of us did.

I never said black. I’m talking about teens in general. The title of the thread suggests teens. I don’t care about race or ethnicity. This issue is a total lack of accountability for all teens who engage in anti social behaviour.

I never said black. I’m talking about teens in general. The title of the thread suggests teens. I don’t care about race or ethnicity.

ok, well I can tell you this area is very quiet and rampaging gangs causing mayhem are nothing to worry about.
    Teenagers do stupid sh*t and get up to no good everywhere, I don't know what planet some of you live on.

Burning down sculptures and knifing people is not all sorts sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Its not teens, its a specific class of teens , living in bad areas and obsessed with the UK top boy / grime gang culture , canada goose jackets, carrying knives, selling drugs

Innit fam

Totally agree. And what's worse again is young teens of dealers. Think they're totally invincible. " Do you know who my dad is?!!??? ".

Burning down sculptures and knifing people is not all sorts sorry.

People are being knifed in Raheny?
    I'm not even sure what we're talking about now, but teenagers were as bad in the 90s when I was one.

ok, well I can tell you this area is very quiet and rampaging gangs causing mayhem are nothing to worry about.
    Teenagers do stupid sh*t and get up to no good everywhere, I don't know what planet some of you live on.

It won’t be an issue until you’re robbed at knifepoint which actually happened to young kids only a few months ago in quiet Raheny.

The knife issue is becoming more prevalent across the city and my point is that if we don’t address it will get worse.

It won’t be an issue until you’re robbed at knifepoint which actually happened to young kids only a few months ago in quiet Raheny.

I was, in about 1996, on O'Connell st. Well they had syringes actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm not even sure what we're talking about now, but teenagers were as bad in the 90s when I was one.

Knifing people for the craic? Was it that bad back then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wiggle16 wrote: »
    People who choose to come here illegally do so at their own risk, absolutely. But that's moving the goalposts. People don't hide in lorries and containers for the craic. People aren't getting on dinghies across the Mediterranean because they've always dreamed of handing out deodorant in a nightclub toilet. It's wrong to blame people for trying to get out of the ****holes they came from.
    Ireland is a bit off the map as far as escaping. They come here because it's got one of the most funded social welfare systems on the planet. They came here when the birthright loophole was still open because it was a soft touch. When that was closed that dropped off and many, actually the majority of "asylum seekers" from roughly three or four countries that gained residency here in the past because of that loophole are now refused on the basis that their claims are spurious. Did something magically happen in the interim?

Interesting too how you're quick enough to label their homelands as sh1tholes. Many folks who still live there, or indeed those living here going back on the regular for visits might take issue with that. I hate to break it to you and maybe disturb a sob story Trocaire box image, but Nigeria for example is 20th in the world as far as GDP goes and one of the most resource rich places on earth. I knew a couple of people living and from there. Doing very nicely they were too.

In any event why does the west have to always be the ones touched up for the charity angle? Why have bugger all incredibly rich ME nations not taken on their fair share of Syrians? Jordan is nice and welcome change on that score. Turkey wants to fire them onwards to the EU. Why don't nations in the Far East, China, Korea, Japan not do so? Why aren't the same desperate not going there? They're not soft touches, that's the guts of the why.

frankly after a lifetime of firing many billions at the developing world - long enough to remember it being known as the third world - and for little result on the ground in many areas, I'm dog tired of this charity nonsense and I'm sure as hell tired of it being doubled down and facilitating more charity by inviting more into European nations and cultures.
    And I have worked with many, many dilligent, hard working non-nationals who did not have the opportunities and advantages most of us have had. You cannot screen people wholesale on their place of origin. I would have thought those sentiments were beneath you, tbh.
    Then you also must take issue with the relevant government depts that also apply the same filtering process by place of origin, as we've learned over time the levels of chancers and purely economic migrants from certain areas is high. Even Leo Varadkar referenced this a while back. He left out African nations, because well that doesn't go over well in some quarters, but the others he noted were White nations last time I looked; Georgia, Romania, Albania. Maybe their diversity isn't enough to raise hackles.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-over-savage-knife-attack-after-row-about-facebook-comments-1038995.html
    Yes this was in raheny and this does not count as usual **** teens get up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So focus on the socio economic problems then, not the colour of their skin - that's just lazy scapegoating that never got any society anywhere.
    Do you really think announcing that they were black teens when these things happen is going to help matters? Of course it wont it will just divide people further and fuel hatred. Although you'd probably like that.

Why do you want it hidden that three black teens attacked and slashed at a white woman for no reason whatsoever??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was, in about 1996, on O'Connell st. Well they had syringes actually.
    I don't doubt it, but again why were we hellbent and continue to be hellbent on importing the likelihood of more problems on top of our own native underclass and criminals?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

We all know what happens when society starts telling itself "X type of people are all X". Eric is quite fond of this.

This has already happened.

All black people are victims of racism.

All white people are privileged and guilty of inherent racism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't doubt it, but again why were we hellbent and continue to be hellbent on importing the likelihood of more problems on top of our own native underclass and criminals?

Ask our politicians. Don't you have to take a certain number because of EU policy or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So teenagers get dole and benefits and are supposed to work?
    I live in Raheny and never saw any of this mayhem. It's like Dublin Live in here ffs.

You’re around a lot of the trouble hotspots without seeing anything. Arsene Wenger??

Ask our politicians. Don't you have to take a certain number because of EU policy or something?
    Of actual refugees yes. We're actually below the EU recommendations on that, so that's a start. The problem is the horse has long bolted because of the birthright loophole of the 90's and early 00's, where we had an influx on non EU people, the vast majority of same wouldn't get through the door today. So here we are.

What we don't need to be doing is repeating that daftness. EG the call by a few politicians to reverse the closure of that loophole, a closure that had the highest no thanks by the Irish electorate of any referendum in a generation. Or the justice minister seeking to hand out thousands of residency papers to as she terms them the "undocumented" migrants here. She seems to have mispronounced "illegal" in her rush to placate NGO's and vested interests. Deport them. Problem solved. I'd go further and deport anyone involved in criminal behaviour who has gotten residency in this nation in the last 20 odd years. I'd deport those who've been on the dole for the majority of their time here too. And before pearls are clutched by anyone the colour of their skin matters not a jot. Sudanese lad working as a carpenter, game ball, White Albanian on the dole, get out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

Does it confirm that they were blacks anywhere? Or are we basing this on the blood comments.

Not that I'd be one bit surprised or anything I'm just curious if it's been confirmed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My question would be why do some in influential circles seem to believe, or at best ignore, the trouble among our peers in the EU - knife crime, riots, street gang culture, civil unrest...?

It's like an attitude of "we'll do the exact same thing they did but we are different and it won't happen here".

We are making the same mistakes but will have different outcomes? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

My question would be why do some in influential circles seem to believe, or at best ignore, the trouble among our peers in the EU - knife crime, riots, street gang culture, civil unrest...?

It's like an attitude of "we'll do the exact same thing they did but we are different and it won't happen here".

We are making the same mistakes but will have different outcomes? :confused:

We're only importing the creme of the crop from African and middle Eastern nations. 😜

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Does it confirm that they were blacks anywhere? Or are we basing this on the blood comments.

Not that I'd be one bit surprised or anything I'm just curious if it's been confirmed anywhere.

The Journal have deleted the comments section on their site for this story. That's enough evidence for me that's it's either the innit bruv crew or our ethnic untouchable class.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The Journal have deleted the comments section on their site for this story. That's enough evidence for me that's it's either the innit bruv crew or our ethnic untouchable class.

Yeah, I usually use the journal comments section being turned off to let me know its a group thats untouchable.

Its like with the covid breaking funerals - IRA funeral story = comments open , traveller funeral story = comments closed, george nkencho funeral story = i bet you a coke those comments wont he open.

You’re around a lot of the trouble hotspots without seeing anything. Arsene Wenger??

Raheny isnt a trouble hot spot was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

biko wrote: »
    If there is an attack and the victim and the assailant are of differently colours then it should always be investigated as a racist attack.

Isn't that in itself a racist approach to take though?
    You are starting from a position of white people are different to black people and might have cause to attack each other purely based on this.

I would have thought it should be investigated as an attack and let the facts decide where it goes?

The knife issue is becoming more prevalent across the city and my point is that if we don’t address it will get worse.

Such hysterics
    I was mugged in 1993/94 at knifepoint in dublin.
    There are laws against carrying knives, what else would you suggest?

Why do you want it hidden that three black teens attacked and slashed at a white woman for no reason whatsoever??

Who is hiding it?
    It is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isn't that in itself a racist approach to take though?
    You are starting from a position of white people are different to black people and might have cause to attack each other purely based on this.

I would have thought it should be investigated as an attack and let the facts decide where it goes?

yes it should be, but it seems if something bad happens a black person, immediately it must be due to race, i agree this black/white should stop on both sides but that is not going to happen with the way us media influence even here nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Exactly this.

If you rear a bunch of kids in a ****hole then the likelihood is a number of them will act like they were reared in a ****hole - what colour they were to start out with makes no difference to that.

Balbriggan was most certainly not a shlthole 20-25 years ago. It was actually a very desirable area to live for a lot of people. Had a mix of 'rural' town where everybody knew each other as well as having good rail links to the city centre for commuting and shopping.

There were less resources there in the 90's than there are now, but knife culture and knife crime was not a thing back then in Balbriggan. It is now.

You work out what's changed there in the past 20-25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Wibbs wrote: »
    Interesting too how you're quick enough to label their homelands as sh1tholes. Many folks who still live there, or indeed those living here going back on the regular for visits might take issue with that. I hate to break it to you and maybe disturb a sob story Trocaire box image, but Nigeria for example is 20th in the world as far as GDP goes and one of the most resource rich places on earth. I knew a couple of people living and from there. Doing very nicely they were too.

Moving the goalposts again.

I don't think that people getting in boats and lorries and being trafficked from one continent to another are living cushy Gulf-style lives on oil revenues, and I don't think you're soft enough in the head to think that either.

I didn't mention Nigeria, but it isn't good enough to say that you and the immigrants themselves would take exception to their native lands being called ****holes and then pick one country to prove a point - an invalid example as it happens, as the high GDP is not reflective of the poverty and instability endemic in Nigeria, because the wealth is not evenly spread out - you know this so I shouldn't even have to point it out and that your couple who were doing quite nicely are the exception rather than the rule, even in Abuja and Lagos (or especially in Lagos).

I'm not a bleeding heart or a soft touch either, by any stretch, so you needn't worry about breaking thing anything to me about Trócaire boxes. Migration is more complicated than you and others are making it seem - in any group of people you will have people who will, as their default, sponge off the system. We have plenty of our own who do that. But that is a separate issue to immigration itself.

I will leave it there for my part as we are not going to agree, but please don't presume to educate me or "break" anything to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement