Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman assaulted at knifepoint in Dublin *MOD WARNING ADDED TO OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bowie wrote: »
    More blue collar crime in disadvantaged areas. Doesn't excuse it, but that's a fact.
    All walks are capable of being scumbags.

Why is there more white collar crime in more affluent areas? Access. Why mug a granny when you can syphon off a pension fund.

Will you be on here next week, if there is a "white collar criminal" charged with siphoning money off a pension fund, pointing out "yeah but whaddabout the black lads that attacked a woman?"

Ya will in me bollix. Because it has no relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They were saying the area I live in is being affected by marauding gangs. As someone who lives here I can say it isn't.

You mentioned Raheny. I would have thought that it was a fairly well to do area. Not Clontarf of course, but for distance from the city centre it would be one of the more desirable locations - no? (At least north of the river).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You mentioned Raheny. I would have thought that it was a fairly well to do area. Not Clontarf of course, but for distance from the city centre it would be one of the more desirable locations - no? (At least north of the river).

Yes parts of it are lovely and very expensive. Where I live is probably still 50% council housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Wibbs wrote: »
    Using gang culture slang, knife attack, in Balbriggan? They could be White, highly unlikely to be Asian and more likely to be Black yes. Are we afraid to state this now? :confused:

Yes and rightly so. We are afraid of the (inevitable) false accusations of racism that will be made by people who are, racist (but racist in a more socially acceptable way as they are mainly racist against white people).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

The woman described the attackers as between16-20 and black on the Adrian Kennedy show. Hopefully some of them are over 18 and will be prosecuted properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I’m just amazed someone believes the lads in the nightclub toilets were there to sell deodorant.

In Spain, yes.

In this country I've never been offered anything stronger than a tic tac. Never heard of anybody being offered to be honest.

If anything an extra tip after a dart of white is generally accepted as a tax to stop him ratting to the bouncers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Balbriggan isnt a ****hole now. I think you are all getting carried away with the knife culture thing too. It has also grown massively so its apples and oranges. My dad is from finglas, it was a sleepy village in the 50s and 60s.

Which just goes to show how quickly things can change, particularly due to a large influx of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Rezident wrote: »
    Yes and rightly so. We are afraid of the (inevitable) false accusations of racism that will be made by people who are, racist (but racist in a more socially acceptable way as they are mainly racist against white people).

I honestly lay a lot of the blame here on anti colonialist types. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with being against colonialism, but a good chunk of the movement always framed things collectively. You used to see it on here regularly in regard to the Middle East: "we are guilty", "we must help". Even though our own nation had zero to do with any of it, it was still held against us by these types. More recently you seen it with the George Floyd stuff, where the Irish were being framed as racist based on events on a different continent. To them, all people of European stock are guilty for the actions of other Europeans. The irony of course, is that it's deeply racist, but not the kind of racism that gets you social points, so they don't care.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They were saying the area I live in is being affected by marauding gangs. As someone who lives here I can say it isn't.

You must be too buys (out marauding perhaps) to see it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

But again why does it matter what race these scrotes are? Whether they're black or white, foreign or Irish, young or old, the bottom line is that if caught and convicted they won't spend a single second behind bars. That's the crux of the issue. It's not as if Ireland didn't have a scrote problem long before large scale immigration and direct provision became a thing, FFS. If immigrants are indeed committing violent crime, they're merely taking advantage of a justice system which permits it.

Whether it's a group of white, Irish teenagers beating the sh!te out of someone, a group of black, Nigerian teenagers beating the sh!te out of someone, or a combination of both, the fact of the matter is that after having done so, even if they get convicted of it in court based on evidence, in all probability the worst that will happen to them is a donation to the poor box or whatever. That is unacceptable in any civilised country. The justice system is supposed to be there to protect the innocent from crime. Empowering scumbags to continue behaving like scumbags by continually reinforcing the paradigm that there are no consequences for behaving like scumbags, will only ever lead to more and more people behaving like scumbags.

My issue with the debates here is that the anger is entirely misdirected. And I'm not even stating any opinion on whether immigrants of African descent are more likely to commit crimes than other demographic groups or not - I simply don't know and quite frankly don't care, because it isn't relevant. If you commit a crime, you should be dealt with. Scumbaggery is a "fact of life" for people living in Ireland, either victims or perpetrators, because literally nothing is likely to happen to you even if you get caught engaging in it.

Why this issue doesn't receive a much, much bigger public debate is totally beyond me. I have personally been the victim of theft by a criminal group who, after a bit of research, were known to be extremely active in the city centre at night time, had previously been busted in their own area (Gardiner Street), in possession of the same thing they stole from me (smartphones) and had been let off with suspended sentences a month or two previous to my own experience when prosecuted. I was able to confirm that these individuals were almost certainly the same crew because before they reset my phone, it was on and near stationary at an address on Gardiner Street for several hours, as per Find My iPhone.

My point is that these gobsh!tes had not only been caught by the Gardaí before but had actually been convicted. And yet they were still able to steal my phone that night. If we had a functioning justice system, they wouldn't have been able to do so - as I wouldn't have been in either Mountjoy or Arbor Hill Prisons for a night out in town with my friends, and they would have been, because they were serial criminals making life miserable for Dublin's citizenry.

Unless this issue is dealt with, we can argue about other sh!te like the demographic attributes of criminals until the cows come home but it won't make a blind bit of difference. I don't know about any of ye, but personally I couldn't give a bollocks whether the guy who ambushes me on the street and gives me a hiding for no reason is black or white, settled or traveller, gay or straight, Catholic or Protestant. I want him or her to face some f*cking consequences regardless. And right now, if you live in Ireland, 90% of the time that simply does not happen.

That's the issue. Everything else, as far as I'm concerned, is merely a symptom of that and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

But again why does it matter what race these scrotes are?

No, the colour of their skin is not the cause.
    The grime and gangsta culture they emulate is the issue, and both are popular in predominantly black communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Yes parts of it are lovely and very expensive. Where I live is probably still 50% council housing.

A match against St Monica's on a wet Sunday will make it fairly clear that it's not a posh area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

But again why does it matter what race these scrotes are? Whether they're black or white, foreign or Irish, young or old, the bottom line is that if caught and convicted they won't spend a single second behind bars. That's the crux of the issue. It's not as if Ireland didn't have a scrote problem long before large scale immigration and direct provision became a thing, FFS. If immigrants are indeed committing violent crime, they're merely taking advantage of a justice system which permits it.

Whether it's a group of white, Irish teenagers beating the sh!te out of someone, a group of black, Nigerian teenagers beating the sh!te out of someone, or a combination of both, the fact of the matter is that after having done so, even if they get convicted of it in court based on evidence, in all probability the worst that will happen to them is a donation to the poor box or whatever. That is unacceptable in any civilised country. The justice system is supposed to be there to protect the innocent from crime. Empowering scumbags to continue behaving like scumbags by continually reinforcing the paradigm that there are no consequences for behaving like scumbags, will only ever lead to more and more people behaving like scumbags.

My issue with the debates here is that the anger is entirely misdirected. And I'm not even stating any opinion on whether immigrants of African descent are more likely to commit crimes than other demographic groups or not - I simply don't know and quite frankly don't care, because it isn't relevant. If you commit a crime, you should be dealt with. Scumbaggery is a "fact of life" for people living in Ireland, either victims or perpetrators, because literally nothing is likely to happen to you even if you get caught engaging in it.

Why this issue doesn't receive a much, much bigger public debate is totally beyond me. I have personally been the victim of theft by a criminal group who, after a bit of research, were known to be extremely active in the city centre at night time, had previously been busted in their own area (Gardiner Street), in possession of the same thing they stole from me (smartphones) and had been let off with suspended sentences a month or two previous to my own experience when prosecuted. I was able to confirm that these individuals were almost certainly the same crew because before they reset my phone, it was on and near stationary at an address on Gardiner Street for several hours, as per Find My iPhone.

My point is that these gobsh!tes had not only been caught by the Gardaí before but had actually been convicted. And yet they were still able to steal my phone that night. If we had a functioning justice system, they wouldn't have been able to do so - as I wouldn't have been in either Mountjoy or Arbor Hill Prisons for a night out in town with my friends, and they would have been, because they were serial criminals making life miserable for Dublin's citizenry.

Unless this issue is dealt with, we can argue about other sh!te like the demographic attributes of criminals until the cows come home but it won't make a blind bit of difference. I don't know about any of ye, but personally I couldn't give a bollocks whether the guy who ambushes me on the street and gives me a hiding for no reason is black or white, settled or traveller, gay or straight, Catholic or Protestant. I want him or her to face some f*cking consequences regardless. And right now, if you live in Ireland, 90% of the time that simply does not happen.

That's the issue. Everything else, as far as I'm concerned, is merely a symptom of that and nothing more.

These lads are most likely irish- born here, i think the point being made is we have enough home grown scumbags so people want tighter restrictions on immigration here in the future to prevent it getting any worse. This is not saying no immigrants just we should look for immigrants with skills who will add to society as a whole.

Cordell wrote: »
    The grime and gangsta culture they emulate is the issue, and both are popular in predominantly black communities.

That may be so, but if that culture involves committing crime against others, I'd argue the buck still stops with the justice system. People who routinely commit crimes should be physically restrained from doing so by sentences handed down by courts. The reason we have such an endemic scrote problem in Ireland is because our courts have entirely abdicated their responsibility in doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Turned into such a dumb thread. Lack of accountability for anything in Ireland is the problem. Black or white gangs ! Who cares, can we just get tough on crime please ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In Spain, yes.

In this country I've never been offered anything stronger than a tic tac. Never heard of anybody being offered to be honest.
    Ditto. And I knew a fair number of people who were into the devil's dandruff back in the day and well knew where and from whom to source it around the clock and they dismissed this idea completely. Even in Spain it was far more the South Americans involved in that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I honestly lay a lot of the blame here on anti colonialist types. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with being against colonialism, but a good chunk of the movement always framed things collectively. You used to see it on here regularly in regard to the Middle East: "we are guilty", "we must help". Even though our own nation had zero to do with any of it, it was still held against us by these types. More recently you seen it with the George Floyd stuff, where the Irish were being framed as racist based on events on a different continent. To them, all people of European stock are guilty for the actions of other Europeans. The irony of course, is that it's deeply racist, but not the kind of racism that gets you social points, so they don't care.

The identity politics brigade, whatever term one wants to use for them (SJW used to be the standard term in online discussions but I haven't bothered partaking in such a debate for a while so this may have changed ) see literally everything as a collectivist issue and are fundamentally incapable of seeing human beings as individuals. Everything a person does, thinks or says is inextricably connected to various other humans who happen to share demographic attributes with the person doing, thinking or saying it. Further more, any action, thought or statement which is negative towards a person, is not only negative towards that person but, automatically, also negative towards every other person who shares that person's demographic attributes.

That's why utter bullsh!t such as one-off instances of someone saying something offensive automatically becomes part of a broad cultural thing in the eyes of these insufferable gobsh!tes. It's why, for example, a man wearing a t shirt which depicts a fictional woman in a sexual manner is attacked as a person attacking all women by wearing it. It's why the Gardaí shooting a scumbag become a racist organisation committing violence against everyone who shared that scumbag's demographic attributes. Etc, etc, etc.

Collectivism in political discourse is absolutely f*cking poisonous and toxic, but it has really taken hold since ~2014 and continues to frame literally every discussion of every incident which ever happens, anywhere. It's an utter pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Cordell wrote: »

And their parents are scumbags to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

Hoboo wrote: »
    And their parents are scumbags to boot.

Especially the absent one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

For the love of... Can we TRY and have a discussion about the topic at hand and stop roaming off on tangents about wider issues.

We'll try this again - there is a seperate thread on multiculturalism for the wider discussion. This thread is only for discussing the topic at hand.

I have forum banned several posters who were spewing outright racism and cleaned up the back and forth bickering.

Back on topic, and for God's sake debate with some level of civility - we don't all have to agree with each other but at least treat other posters with some respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I watched the victim's account of the attack on the main Virgin Media news this evening. They gave it a substantial amount of airtime. The victim's retelling of the incident was chilling and vivid, with the attackers specifically aiming the knife at her face, which she blocked with her heavy winter jacket. The attack was sustained for multiple minutes as she tried to fight them off until one of them said "Run blood", and that's when they ran off laughing. It must have been a horrendous assault, as she said that she saw her life flashing before her, and all she could think about was her 3 children and her partner.

Very brave woman, but I would imagine that the incident will stay with her for the rest of her life. I echo what others said about sentencing when/if they catch these cowardly thugs. There needs to be a total revamp of the justice system in Ireland, where the focus should be on the victim and not on the convicted criminal. Currently as it stands, the justice system in Ireland is weighed heavily against the victim with these types of crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A match against St Monica's on a wet Sunday will make it fairly clear that it's not a posh area.

haha, this guy knows

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lux23 wrote:
    What do you mean by 'new' Irish?

It's a term commonly used by racists to describe people of African origin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

MarkY91 wrote:
    How did I know they were 3 black teenagers the second I read it happened in balbriggan...

Dude you wanted them to be black. That's different from knowing if they were black or not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

* Off topic dribble*

Mod:

Threadbanned, and count yourself lucky it's not a forum ban for posting this inane muck below a mod warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

Vermin like this need to be put down on the spot. I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing stories like this week after week. These degenerate scum bags offer nothing of value to society. Not only do they not add anything of value they actively detract from anyone who has the misfortune of living anywhere near them. It's absolutely sickening and really makes me think twice about rearing children here.

There should be massive incentives to prevent the absolute scum of society from having children. I'm sorry it's harsh but it's an absolute fact that excluding the occasional outlier, most children born to these degenerates are going to follow in their footsteps.

As if it isn't bad enough with our own we certainly don't need to be importing plane loads of them from other countries on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Until problems are acknowledged and addressed it will keep getting worse ,theses gangs are running amok and getting away with it because if they are challenged by people or the gardai the gangs and their families label all involved as racist,
    There was a priest in tallaght years ago who fought to bring drug addiction supports and gardai awareness to the problem ,the chief superintendent in tallaght made a public statement that there was no drug problem in tallaght ,
    The same priest then gave an interview to the media where he compared the youth of parts of tallaght to the black youth of apparite South Africa ,
    For a a number years after the interview he was followed and had special branch detectives sit outside the parish house 24/7 ,
    Why because he was right and we had a massive drug problem.

Here we have gangs running amok and anyone challenges them they are labelled as racists ,on social media ,the guards are powerless hands are being tied with be labelled racist for making arrests ,the parents of these scrotes are labelling the guards as racist, teachers and principals are being labelled as racists for challenging bad behaviour by both students and their parents ,
    It's this total denial by a handful of woke idealists who don't want a discussion of any kind taking place ,
    Things will end up like Manchester, Liverpool , London Birmingham , Rotherham with Black or Muslim groups who cannot be challenged or stopped for fear of being labelled racist,

bubblypop wrote: »
    But her brother fiachra might have killed some other young man outside an up market niteclub.

Seriously, there are some really obsessed people on boards.
    Everybody can commit crimes, not everyone does, but everyone can. Doesn't matter a sh1t what the colour of their skin, or religion, or country of origin.

A scumbag is a scumbag and should be arrested and charged.

Bit of false equivalence on your part there re Fiachra - is there really that many poshos killing fellas outside nightclubs on the regular?

I can think of a single case of it and it occurred 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Gatling wrote: »
    There was a priest in tallaght years ago who fought to bring drug addiction supports and gardai awareness to the problem.
    The same priest then gave an interview to the media where he compared the youth of parts of tallaght to the black youth of apparite South Africa ,
    For a a number years after the interview he was followed and had special branch detectives sit outside the parish house 24/7 ,

So you want us to believe that an overstretched Garda force, had detectives working 24/7, to watch over a priest for no reason other than intimidation? Pull the other one.

“Where’s the proof, I want to see the proof, you’re making it up!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Effects wrote: »
    you’re making it up!”

Ah Ted are you carrying your ****e over from where your banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement