Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

steddyeddy wrote: »
    He prioritised his sons at the expense of frontline workers. He's right to apologise but there's certainly a lack of an effective back up made in case more became available.

Do you also not see anything wrong with launching a vaccine dispensing program before a booking system was available?

You would prefer to delay dispensing the vaccine?

Do we have specific front line workers that were overlooked or is it just the vague notion of them as a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Coombe Board will be discussing this later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isnt the whole vial diluted though?
    And assuming the have more than one person giving the vaccines, you are going to have more than 1 vial on the go at once.
    Also the entire tray is taken from -70 storage and put into a regular storage, the vaccine has a limited lifespan from that point, diluted or not.
    It's in the link. Vials can be kept for 5 days after thawing in the fridge.

Once taken from the fridge they are brought to room temperature and must be diluted within two hours and then used within 6 hours.

120 spare doses is 20 vials. I don't see why you would need that number out of the fridge at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just FYI for people suggesting they round up anyone in Lidl, that's my local Lidl and it's closed until February for refurbishment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Can I just ask why someone would be volunteering in a private maternity hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is going to be lots and lots of this kind of stuff going on in the coming weeks and months and it won't be confined to this country either. As the son of a 82 year old father and a 79 year old mother who are basically confined to the house until they get their second jab to hear of people jumping queues is maddening.

It’s infuriating yes. But is anybody surprised ? Quite simply this is the Irish way, the mindset....politicians and people in positions of power and responsibility have been looking after themselves and their vested interests.. family/friends for decades.... way ahead of ideals and fairness.... you ‘look after your own’ in their mindset but forget who pays them and for doing what.

I’m old school, first come first served... benefiting in life over other people in greater need, by virtue of ‘who you know’ is bollocks.

I can’t believe this is going on, in a pandemic, the greatest threat to the wellbeing of this state and its people, ever... actually, I can and do believe it.. right out of the crappy selfish Irish playbook. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Can I just ask why someone would be volunteering in a private maternity hospital?

To get the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They need experience and their father works there?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

seamus wrote: »
    You quoted a nurse in Tipperary. What frontline workers in Dublin weren't contacted?

His (O’Connell's) two sons were given priority over frontline workers. Either the protocol for leftovers wasn't followed or worse yet, there is no protocol. You can't tell me that you believe two frontline workers to take the place of his sons could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sinn Féin on a mad one.

Surprise surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's definitely a far bigger story here. Friends of mine still working in other hospitals state that administration workers in other hospitals have got it before frontline workers. They have contacted the media as well.

Surely it was just to ensure vaccinations weren't wasted, rather than the cute hoorism that public sector is famous for. It's just so happens that senior managers grannies were the only ones available to hop in the jammer and floor it to reach the hospital in time.

Seems to be a lot of willfully gullible types posting on here :D

Experience is why it's needed and nepotism is why they got it. It's highly unusual in science/medicine to hire relatives. This guy is famous for it. When I seen his name I guessed what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

His (O’Connell's) two sons were given priority over frontline workers. Either the protocol for leftovers wasn't followed or worse yet, there is no protocol. You can't tell me that you believe two frontline workers to take the place of his sons could be found.

They found 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

And what, though? Transfer a patient from an acute hospital to a maternity hospital just so you can jab them, and then send them back again? Have staff members from another hospital come in, risking contamination of the maternity hospital?

There's lots of great ideas in hindsight, but when you're on the clock you can't make rash decisions.

They weren't given to kids. They were the adult children of the Master of the Coombe, who also work in the hospital on a part time bases. The Irish Times has framed this whole thing to sound like he called his wife and she drove the X-7 down with some five year olds in the back seat to get the vaccines.

This explanation falls down though doesn't it because his kids work at his private practice so we have the cross contamination risk anyway.

It's grand though because we have to defend nepotism in Ireland to the hilt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The Coombe isn't a private hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sinn Féin on a mad one.

Surprise surprise.

Not just the Shinners but if it makes you happy cheer leading, so be it.
    Btw, the hospital did say what went on was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So you don't know of any nearby frontline workers that were overlooked then. Grand.

At the time there was no protocol for leftovers. There wasn't even a proper IT system in place for booking people in.
    Work experience. Also, the Coombe is not private.

The Coombe used to have a lot of med experience and volunteer teaching stuff going on, I'd imagine they still do?

Bambi wrote: »
    Surely it was just to ensure vaccinations weren't wasted, rather than the cute hoorism that public sector is famous for. It's just so happens that senior managers grannies were the only ones available to hop in the jammer and floor it to reach the hospital in time.

Seems to be a lot of willfully gullible types posting on here :D

110%.

His two sons got the jab before other nurse who are now complaining about it. The fact they see nothing wrong with that is telling.

The vaccines last 8 hours (2 hours to dilute after you remove them from the freezer and 6 once you dilute them).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

plodder wrote: »
    It's in the link. Vials can be kept for 5 days after thawing in the fridge.

Once taken from the fridge they are brought to room temperature and must be diluted within two hours and then used within 6 hours.

120 spare doses is 20 vials. I don't see why you would need that number out of the fridge at the same time.

well if there were on day 5 since being taken from -70 then it doesnt matter if there were out of the fridge or not, right?

• Advertisement

110%.

His two sons got the jab before other nurse who are now complaining about it. The fact they see nothing wrong with that is telling.

The vaccines last 8 hours (2 hours to dilute after you remove them from the freezer and 6 once you dilute them).

Nurses in tipperary, so unless they've invented teleportation, they're just moaning for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its crazy that people still can't see the real issue here.

It isn't about this particular 16 vials or who got them. The problem is that it is clearly very simple to abuse the system.

Want to make sure your family gets vaccinated first? Do it and then claim that the vials were going to go to waste otherwise.

You have to be incredibly naïve not to think that there are people out there who won't take advantage of that loophole.

So you don't know of any nearby frontline workers that were overlooked then. Grand.

At the time there was no protocol for leftovers. There wasn't even a proper IT system in place for booking people in.

Work experience. Also, the Coombe is not private.

Right Seamus I worked in a hospital and part of my job was making calculations for things like this. What you have described in bold is incompetent beyond belief.

Yes actually I do know workers in St.James' hospital for example that didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BlueSkys102

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Really, they would have been wasted? They were in a hospital, was there nobody left in the hospital that was higher up the priority list that they had resort to ringing up family members and wait for them to travel to the hospital?

This is exactly what I was thinking myself, Once the vaccine is taken out it has to be used. Unfortunately some of the higher risk people may not be able to get to the hospital within a certain time to get it or may still be quite scared about getting it.

I take alot of these stories with a pinch of salt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It isn't about this particular 16 vials or who got them. The problem is that it is clearly very simple to abuse the system.

Want to make sure your family gets vaccinated first? Do it and then claim that the vials were going to go to waste otherwise.

You have to be incredibly naïve not to think that there are people out there who won't take advantage of that loophole.

That's why it's important to know what steps were taken before the decision was made to give out those 16 doses, i.e. who was contacted and what process was followed etc. I don't think a clear explanation has been given on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Your starting point is irrational. You're suggesting that he should have just started randomly contacting....people. What people? Where would he get their details? Do you think there's a HSE database of "high risk people" that someone can log onto and get phone numbers?

I suggest he contacts other hospitals or consultants leading teams in the region. I reiterate my point that his story of not being able to find people (read people as frontline healthcare workers, since that somehow managed to escape you) doesn't hold water for me. I posted in a thread recently highlighting that I know of people who work with COVID positive patients in their homes (doctors, nurses, home help, allied health professionals) who have been told it will be 4 to 6 weeks before they will have an appointment. Caring for people who are not unwell enough to be hospitalised with COVID but still requiring intensive support in the community - These are the people I would be targeting. Not my children. If you can't compare the quantitative risk of these people versus his kids (one of whom works in his private clinic and the other who 'volunteers' at the Coombe) that's on you.
    Amirani wrote: »
    Because it has been reported in every story on the issue.

I genuinely missed this in the articles I've read on the issue. Could you link one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,716 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So you are arguing over two of the 120 spare vaccines?
    One works in a medical practice the other works in the hospital.

"Two of the recipients are understood to be Dr O’Connell’s children, one of whom is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in his private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker."

So 120 vaccines spare, they found 104 people at short notice.
    16 had to be found at ever shorter notice and of the other 16 - 9 were over 70...
    Would people rather they were just dumped?

Honestly mountain out of a molehill imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

So how do any of us get on the Spare Vaccine list?

I can travel :)

or is this a friends and family event only?

110%.

I think it's rather telling that neither your originally quoted version of her story nor this summation of it mention that, once again, she's in Tipperary, a place quite famous for its distance from subject at hand.

• Advertisement

1: doses not vials

2: they didn't get vaccinated first, extra doses were discovered, 90% were distributed, the last 10% included 2 members of the doctors family (who are frontline workers). That's a backarse way of skipping the queue.

Advertisement