Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The way people have reacted to this is shocking.

Seems people prefer the vaccine to be in the bin.

Faux rage from lots of bored and angry people.

I say fair play for being innovative and getting the vaccine into arms on a Saturday evening, after working expertly to extract more doses from the vials than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

His two children are both working in the hospital, so Are frontline. And 9 of the 16 are over 70 - so would be getting the vaccine in the next week or two.

They got 104 extra people to be vaccinated and couldn't find the last 16, and what? Would people actually rather it be discarded and a waste of vaccines?

It was after 9.30pm and they have a v short shelf life and you cant travel with the vaccines either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Miike wrote: »
    I genuinely missed this in the articles I've read on the issue. Could you link one?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coombe-board-to-discuss-giving-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-16-family-members-of-staff-1.4461145

"The Coombe said it was able to produce more than 120 additional vaccines, beyond what was anticipated, from its supply of vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on January 8th."

All of these 120 were given out. Hence we know well over 100 people were contacted in order to give unscheduled vaccines to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Volunteering or interning? Doesn't matter, shouldn't be possible at the moment with the risk of infection. If I was having a baby at the moment I wouldn't be mad about the idea of some randomer walking around the hospital "volunteering". Did the master of the Coombe have the vaccine actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

GreeBo wrote: »
    well if there were on day 5 since being taken from -70 then it doesnt matter if there were out of the fridge or not, right?
    Why would they be on day 5? I'd say it was day 1 or 2 at the latest. The super cold freezers are in the Dublin area somewhere.

I think if they haven't already, the HSE needs to come up with a system that fills gaps like this and can schedule appointments at short notice, eg the following day. They actually did well to find 100 people for the same day, if there isn't a proper system in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Right Seamus I worked in a hospital and part of my job was making calculations for things like this. What you have described in bold is incompetent beyond belief.

Yes actually I do know workers in St.James' hospital for example that didn't get it.

The part in bold
    "At the time there was no protocol for leftovers. There wasn't even a proper IT system in place for booking people in."

It's true though?
    "The hospital said the HSE vaccination booking system did not go live until the following day and so it was not possible to pre-book vaccinations and to be certain of the doses required."

Also...pen and paper are used to record vaccines..
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pen-and-paper-used-to-record-vaccines-as-it-system-not-in-place-yet-d%C3%A1il-told-1.4458313

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I genuinely missed this in the articles I've read on the issue. Could you link one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dublin-hospital-gave-leftover-vaccines-to-16-relatives-of-staff-1.4460718%3fmode=amp

Quick summary of the key points you seem to have missed
    Made up 120 extra doses.
    Contacted the HSE.
    Made every effort to contact front line workers.
    Then had 16 extra doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gmisk wrote: »
    16 had to be found at ever shorter notice

Did they?

Or were those 16 always earmarked to get a sneaky jab first chance this doctor got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Amirani wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coombe-board-to-discuss-giving-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-16-family-members-of-staff-1.4461145

"The Coombe said it was able to produce more than 120 additional vaccines, beyond what was anticipated, from its supply of vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on January 8th."

All of these 120 were given out. Hence we know well over 100 people were contacted in order to give unscheduled vaccines to.

So there's 120 extra doses. We'll make contact with 120 people and if we don't use them sure give them to my kids. Heaven forbid they sought out higher priority people after 9.30 in the evening, how taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

So you are arguing over two of the 120 spare vaccines?
    One works in a medical practice the other works in the hospital.

"Two of the recipients are understood to be Dr O’Connell’s children, one of whom is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in his private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker."

So 120 vaccines spare, they found 104 people at short notice.
    16 had to be found at ever shorter notice and of the other 16 - 9 were over 70...
    Would people rather they were just dumped?

Honestly mountain out of a molehill imo.

Is all of this true?

If so, what’s everyones problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The most surprising thing about this, is the amount of simpletons that believe that the only ONLY option available to them, was to vaccinate the Masters children.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The Coombe isn't a private hospital.

There is a private clinic to the right of the public hospital when you enter the main gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is all of this true?

It is from everything I have read but I am open to correction.

There is a private clinic to the right of the public hospital when you enter the main gate.

That doesn't make The Coombe a private hospital though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So there's 120 extra doses. We'll make contact with 120 people and if we don't use them sure give them to my kids. Heaven forbid they sought out higher priority people after 9.30 in the evening, how taxing.

What higher priority people?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Right Seamus I worked in a hospital and part of my job was making calculations for things like this. What you have described in bold is incompetent beyond belief.
    Sure. But that still doesn't address the substantive issue. The lack of such a protocol or of an IT system is not Hugh O'Connor's responsibility. They did what they thought was the best use of these doses within a very limited window.
    Yes actually I do know workers in St.James' hospital for example that didn't get it.
    Yes, but were they overlooked on this particular day? No.

Lots of supposition, anecdotes and, "I can't believe the story" going on in this thread. I'll leave it to yis lads.

You can enjoy chewing the furniture later when Claire Byrne hosts a two-hour programme to discuss the finer points of this and have 2 sh1t-stirrers on complaining that hospital management dared take some initiative to avoid waste, when clearly the answer was sending the injections out via rocket-suit to vaccinate workers in Tipperary and Donegal.

And in 3 months time when we hear that thousands of doses have gone in the bin because hospitals are afraid of using their discretion, you'll know exactly who to thank.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How did the jabs get into the arms in question?

Did these family members enter the maternity hospital (where families of new borns are forbotten)?

Or were the jabs transported elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

So you are arguing over two of the 120 spare vaccines?
    One works in a medical practice the other works in the hospital.

"Two of the recipients are understood to be Dr O’Connell’s children, one of whom is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in his private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker."

So 120 vaccines spare, they found 104 people at short notice.
    16 had to be found at ever shorter notice and of the other 16 - 9 were over 70...
    Would people rather they were just dumped?

Honestly mountain out of a molehill imo.

I agree and \i don't think there was any need to apologise either. That makes it seem as if it was wrong when it wasn't. Its pure media hype like when, at the time of the cervical check issue, the media frightened women into thinking they might have a diagnosis of cancer but the HSE were hiding it. Irresponsible ghouls!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Is all of this true?

Irish people are so conditioned to begrudgery that we'd rather know 16 viable vaccine doses were squirted down a drain than read somebody else got it ahead of time.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    2: they didn't get vaccinated first, extra doses were discovered, 90% were distributed, the last 10% included 2 members of the doctors family (who are frontline workers). That's a backarse way of skipping the queue.

Not at all, lots of people work to a target.

Such as keeping 16 aside for family, giving out the remainder and then sorting those 16 at the end when you "couldn't find anybody else".

So easy to dismiss that as a conspiracy theory, as if the country isn't full of people who would do exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

seamus wrote: »
    Sure. But that still doesn't address the substantive issue. The lack of such a protocol or of an IT system is not Hugh O'Connell's responsibility. They did what they thought was the best use of these doses within a very limited window.

Yes, but were they overlooked on this particular day? No.

Lots of supposition, anecdotes and, "I can't believe the story" going on in this thread. I'll leave it to yis lads.

You can enjoy chewing the furniture later when Claire Byrne hosts a two-hour programme to discuss the finer points of this and have 2 sh1t-stirrers on complaining that hospital management dared take some initiative to avoid waste, when clearly the answer was sending the injections out via rocket-suit to vaccinate workers in Tipperary and Donegal.

And in 3 months time when we hear that thousands of doses have gone in the bin because hospitals are afraid of using their discretion, you'll know exactly who to thank.

Well said

Did these family members enter the maternity hospital (where families of new borns are forbotten)?

Both family members work at the hospital it has been reported. So I imagine they entered with their swipe card or ID badge.

Regardless, there's no exclusion from hospitals for people receiving medical treatments and procedures (including vaccination).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is all of this true?

A lot remains unknown, this is all from media reports. Good that doses were administered but possible lack of planning somewhere, nepotism, bad optics and a Master who admitted he regretted the decision. It'll pass but not how rollout needs to be perceived.

Wombatman wrote: »
    The most surprising thing about this, is the amount of simpletons that believe that the only ONLY option available to them, was to vaccinate the Masters children.

Nepotism may have gotten the kids into those jobs, but there is no way it could have gotten them anything else.

While i'm not too worked up about this, it is another example (as if one were needed) that the standard of behaviour in Irish public life is only required to meet a very low bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If the 16 doses went in the bin opposition parties and people would be ranting about how they were wasted.

Can't win in this country.

Constant moaning and whinging about everything.

Both family members work at the hospital it has been reported. So I imagine they entered with their swipe card or ID badge.

Regardless, there's no exclusion from hospitals for people receiving medical treatments and procedures (including vaccination).

Both? There were 16 jabs - where were they administered?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

That doesn't make The Coombe a private hospital though?

I note you deleted your "great" comment.

I never said it was a private hospital, I was providing context as to why there would be private staff located on the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean if entering the hospital was an issue that would surely bump those two up the list quite a bit since they would already have had access and been allowed in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not at all, lots of people work to a target.

Such as keeping 16 aside for family, giving out the remainder and then sorting those 16 at the end when you "couldn't find anybody else".

So easy to dismiss that as a conspiracy theory, as if the country isn't full of people who would do exactly that.

So are you implying they didn't mention the last 16? Or are they so efficient that they were able to clinically locate and vaccinate the exact number of people to have the 16 left?

When we're receiving hundreds of thousands of vaccines a week, I absolutely expect cronyism to kick in, and favours to be called in. Not seeing it in this case though......

Advertisement