Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If the 16 doses went in the bin opposition parties and people would be ranting about how they were wasted.

Can't win in this country.

Constant moaning and whinging about everything.

Looks like doctors can do what they want with the vaccine, if this is the attitude of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Both? There were 16 jabs - where were they administered?

There were 120 jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Both? There were 16 jabs - where were they administered?
    Both of the master kids....so two.
    In the Coombe I would think.
    Of the other 14, 9 went to over 70s.

104 spare were assigned before that and no issue with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I note you deleted your "great" comment.

I never said it was a private hospital, I was providing context as to why there would be private staff located on the complex.

Sorry about that, I had mixed you up with Lillyfae who made the original claim.

You are indeed correct that there is a private clinic and private activity on site.

Looks like doctors can do what they want with the vaccine, if this is the attitude of the public.

I would hope "don't waste vaccines" is the attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There were 120 jabs.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

The way people have reacted to this is shocking.

Seems people prefer the vaccine to be in the bin.

Faux rage from lots of bored and angry people.

I say fair play for being innovative and getting the vaccine into arms on a Saturday evening, after working expertly to extract more doses from the vials than expected.

Exactly this, the endgame is to get as many people vaccinated as possible. If that means rounding up close contacts of staff since they're available so be it. It's entirely possible that it'll be too risky to transfer what's left of the doses to another hospital, I'd say it's tough to get firefighters out of the station mid-shift for this. If there was an emergency and they were delayed as a result then there'd be bigger questions asked.

Look at Yorkshire last week. Massive snowfalls resulted in surgeries/hospitals telling people that if they can make it to the facility, they can get the vaccine since so many people had to cancel due to the weather.

Just get the jabs in arms, the last thing we need is to be at each other over the head of it.

?

There were 120 extra jabs administered, not 16.

?
    There were 120 extra jabs available....
    There were 104 they managed to assign to people correctly seemingly at short notice.
    People are kicking up a fuss about these extra 16 (9 of which were over 70).
    The master two kids, one works in the Coombe...the other...works in a medical setting as well.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I would hope "don't waste vaccines" is the attitude.

We can deduce from common sense that doctors, GPs etc will give the vaccine to their immediate family first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, I think more questions need to be asked on why the Coombe was getting vaccines before hospitals that are actually dealing with Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

If the 16 doses went in the bin opposition parties and people would be ranting about how they were wasted.

Can't win in this country.

Constant moaning and whinging about everything.

Do people really believe it was a binary decision between discarding the vaccine or giving it to the Masters children? Hilarious.

I'd be quite happy for 1/4 of the admin staff in the HSE to be culled, and in general I think Public Sector nepotism is a huge issue.

However if it was either binning these or using them they probably made the right decision. I am not sure how they would have got in touch with other people and in what order. There isn't a list. There presumably wasn't time to get them to nursing homes, front line staff were supposedly vaccinated already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

?

120 extra doses. 104 front line workers were found on short notice. If you are worried about entry to the building, well I imagine none of the above worked in the Coombe since those workers had been accounted for. Indeed the two sons would be some of the few eligible for those extra doses if that was an issue.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Do people really believe it was a binary decision between discarding the vaccine or giving it to the Masters children? Hilarious.

What else then? They only had a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

?

There was 120 extra/leftover. They found 104 on short notice and from that they had 16 still leftover.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh, I think more questions need to be asked on why the Coombe was getting vaccines before hospitals that are actually dealing with Covid?

Maternity hospitals are dealing with Covid cases and do suffer with staff shortages due to same. But I agree generally, I don't know why you'd have a situation where maternity hospitals effectively get more than they need (same with Holles Street that had an oversupply), whilst some hospitals (such as Nenagh) get none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

For those complaining about the Nurse from Tip being used in the interviews, it's not about her magically being teleported to Dublin, it's about tying two stores together.
    As the Coombe gets a considerable amount vaccinated despite having a low risk patient base, Nenagh didn't get vaccinated despite having Covid patients.

I'd be quite happy for 1/4 of the admin staff in the HSE to be culled, and in general I think Public Sector nepotism is a huge issue.

However if it was either binning these or using them they probably made the right decision. I am not sure how they would have got in touch with other people and in what order. There isn't a list. There presumably wasn't time to get them to nursing homes, front line staff were supposedly vaccinated already.

So his two children happened to be part of the group that received it.

Only in Ireland.

Maybe so they can lift restrictions earlier on parents?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/maternity-vigil-5300975-Dec2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

What else then? They only had a few hours.

Yep, group text message to everyone you know.

"We have 16 vaccine doses left that need to be administered in the next few hours, let us know if you or someone you know is available immediately"

Bang, 16 doses out of 100+ filled at short notice with the rest being front-line workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Wombatman wrote: »

No but that's how they justify their opinion in a vague attempt at trying to discredit the point of other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

PO!NT wrote: »
    So how do any of us get on the Spare Vaccine list?

I can travel :)

or is this a friends and family event only?

Thats the thing, I'm in the next tranche of risk categories but if theres a standby list for jabs I'd be willing to to blem it into a hospital at a few minutes notice

Very clear its cute hoorism and nepotism at work.

Amirani wrote: »
    Maternity hospitals are dealing with Covid cases and do suffer with staff shortages due to same. But I agree generally, I don't know why you'd have a situation where maternity hospitals effectively get more than they need (same with Holles Street that had an oversupply), whilst some hospitals (such as Nenagh) get none.

Ya, plenty of stories of hospitals who've got none. Maternity hospitals are only really dealing with staff getting covid or close contacts outside of the hospital, there's nowhere near the same spread within the hospital as other hospitals who should have been prioritised first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The issue with other hospitals not getting their vaccinations rests with the HSE but I don't see why the Coombe should be behind any other hospital, they have emergency facilities and can't worry about testing for Covid when an ambulance turns up at the door so they are quite high risk

So his two children happened to be part of the group that received it.

Only in Ireland.
    One works in the hospital....the other works in a medical setting.....
    So of the 120 spares...104 went to front line workers again at short notice...16 went at even shorter notice to relations of frontline workers (9 over the age of 70)...

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe so they can lift restrictions earlier on parents?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/maternity-vigil-5300975-Dec2020/

Maybe, but that still isn't what I'd consider essential. I'd be considering places like Coombe to be group 3 of the vaccination plan rather than group 1, and whilst you'll get some overlap, not sure they should be getting vaccines over any public acute hospital or even some private acute hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

If this is all so above board why would the Master of the Coombe publicly state he "deeply regrets" the decisions made?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

circadian wrote: »
    Yep, group text message to everyone you know.

"We have 16 vaccine doses left that need to be administered in the next few hours, let us know if you or someone you know is available immediately"

Bang, 16 doses out of 100+ filled at short notice with the rest being front-line workers.

And you know the medical history of all those people and if there is a reason they shouldn't be getting the vaccine?

• Advertisement

Miike wrote: »
    If this is all so above board why would the Master of the Coombe publicly state he "deeply regrets" the decisions made?
    Because of how some people might perceive it I would guess.
    Look at the reaction of some people on here?

Advertisement