Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

polesheep wrote: »
    Enough said.

Anyone that claims they'd do differently isn't being honest with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think that poster was being sarcastic? :D

Ireland's a small country and there are big "HSE families". It's almost impossible to avoid having relatives work together in the health service here, I have four relatives working in the same midlands hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You're confusing yourself H. There's no "don't vaccinate list". It's a matter of priorities. Frontline staff come in before young family members.

But, they are frontline workers, so what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Seriously though unless you have worked there you have no idea how bad it is. It isn't doctors, nurses or biochemists that are the problem. I knew this would happen in the Irish health service.

AN inquiry into alleged nepotism in the Health Service Executive (HSE), which saw the relatives of several senior executives hired for well-paid summer work, has forced an overhaul of recruitment systems, the Irish Independent has learned.

There was fury during the summer after it emerged that the children and spouses of senior HSE staff were taken on, mostly in Cork and Limerick, to help speed up the payment of the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance, which is provided by the HSE.

The review was set up to probe the hiring of the summer staff for posts worth around €23,000-€29,000 a year to work as community welfare officers and clerical officers in the south and mid-west regions.

At least seven of the jobs - four in Co Cork and three in Co Limerick -- were filled by spouses and children of existing HSE staff.

None of the 13 temporary jobs as grade three clerical officers in the HSE South region were advertised, and the posts in Limerick were only advertised to existing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, I think it was a joke..

Hope so! Definitely out of sync with their posts so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But, they are frontline workers, so what's the issue?

If you dont see it for yourself, no one will be able to explain it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

seamus wrote: »
    If I tasked you, at 9:30 in the evening, with finding 16 people who can make it to the Coombe in the next two hours, what would you do? Bearing in mind that the HSE has already exhausted its list of contacts. Start ringing around local nursing homes and sending out ambulances to pick up patients? Heading out on the street and pulling in random passers-by?

I'd likely send the vaccine to a local nursing home - using ambulances is obviously a waste.

Second to that however, I would walk onto the street and offer it to random passers-by. It's the fairest way to deal with situations like this.

I'm well aware of the slippery slope fallacy, but it's certainly applicable in situations where confidence and trust is difficult to build and easily lost. Next week if a Garda's son avoids a prison sentence for something or other, will people be so quick to say "that's A-OK, we should be striving as a society to avoid prison sentences anyway, as community service reduces recidivism". Or would people be up in arms about unfairness in society?

From a political point of view too, it's bad for FF/FG, as the usual crowd can easily exploit the situation to demonstrate elitism in Ireland.

Every year I have to do anti-corruption training in work, and we're told over and over that even the perception of corruption is enough to get you fired outright, and even arrested in many countries. The company will not accept anything that could even be viewed as corrupt by a third party, even if you had good intentions.
    Seriously though unless you have worked there you have no idea how bad it is. It isn't doctors, nurses or biochemists that are the problem. I knew this would happen in the Irish health service.

I'd well believe it. I know someone who's job (as a well paid temporary contractor) was to print and file individual emails and responses. Why you may ask? Well, just in case the community nurse said they didn't get the email, or didn't do their job, and didn't call out to the home, and something happened to the new-born, and it came back on the HSE, and they lost their email backups. And that's just one story.

If you dont see it for yourself, no one will be able to explain it to you.

Go on, try.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Go on, try.......
    I wont waste my thumbs thanks.

Go on, try.......

Because a vaccine rollout should be done by who needs it most not who you were related to. They weren't on the list of vaccinations or else there wouldn't have been a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Nenagh vs Dublin is a good question. Could it be a matter of cold chain infrastructure?

I don't think it could be unless they consider themselves incapable of delivering the doses within 4/5 days of delivery which in itself would be an indictment. See the attached document from the CDC/Pfizer

Even worse is the Drogheda thing, that's a short drive up the motorway

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/downloads/storage-summary.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Amirani wrote: »
    You shouldn't be allowed work in healthcare if you have another relative working in or receiving healthcare. Nepotism needs to be stamped out.

I just read your other posts n realised you were be sarcastic.

Withdrawn comment.

I'd likely send the vaccine to a local nursing home - using ambulances is obviously a waste.

The vaccine can't travel once diluted, and how do you pick which residents get the vaccines?
    Second to that however, I would walk onto the street and offer it to random passers-by. It's the fairest way to deal with situations like this.

I often go for night time walks with a copy of my full medical history and a recent covid test......

Because a vaccine rollout should be done by who needs it most not who you were related to. They weren't on the list of vaccinations or else there wouldn't have been a problem.

So should they have 50 "more deserving" people sit in the waiting room all day in case there's extra vaccines? Should the local hospitals turn away patients cause their triage staff are next on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The vaccine can't travel once diluted, and how do you pick which residents get the vaccines?

I often go for night time walks with a copy of my full medical history and a recent covid test......
    Hunger games style?
    I volunteer as tribute!!!!!

So should they have 50 "more deserving" people sit in the waiting room all day in case there's extra vaccines? Should the local hospitals turn away patients cause their triage staff are next on the list?

Can you explain the extra vaccines to me? I think you're misunderstanding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I live within sight of this hospital. With Lidl and the pubs closed and visits to the hospital restricted, you could genuinely struggle to get 16 people together in an hour after 9. If you run, you'd get maybe five lads combined between the Centra and Spar staff, whatever unfortunate is working in the petrol station up by Dolphins Barn, and then maybe me and three others forlornly trying to buy last minute Tyskies in the now-abandoned Centra.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this plan if it means I get jabbed, but I don't think you can guarantee you'll find candidates for every dose.

No H, we generally have lists and back up lists for that sort of thing. We also have lists for appointments.

You don't just sit in a waiting room all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It was done based on who needed it, something like 1200 vaccines had been given that day to people who needed it most. They found at the end of the day they had 120 spare so 104 were also given to people who needed them most. THEN the final 16 were doled out to people who they presumably could get on the phone on very short notice.

But next time, because of people like you who need to be outraged, those 16 vaccines will probably just go in the bin.

Can you explain the extra vaccines to me? I think you're misunderstanding this.

The extra doses that they got from the vials, you know this.

No H, we generally have lists and back up lists for that sort of thing. We also have lists for appointments.

You don't just sit in a waiting room all day.

And how do those people get there on short notice? You can have lists, backups, spare copies and contingency plans, but they were working against a ticking clock....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Some hospitals are doing this. Booking 1100 appointments (or 1200) per 1000 vaccines then if they run out before they get to you it's tough luck.

It was done based on who needed it, something like 1200 vaccines had been given that day to people who needed it most. They found at the end of the day they had 120 spare so 104 were also given to people who needed them most. THEN the final 16 were doled out to people who they presumably could get on the phone on very short notice.

But next time, because of people like you who need to be outraged, those 16 vaccines will probably just go in the bin.

Absolute garbage. I used to work with things like this.

No system for dispensing vaccines in a 1st world country relies on nepotism as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Go on, try.......

Clearly they were not working in The Coombe in any serious capacity because if they were, they would have been on the original list ie they would have gotten the vaccine on their own merit. But they didn't get it on their own merit, they got it only because their father ie The Boss pulled them forward. That's as clear as I can make it.

Some hospitals are doing this. Booking 1100 appointments (or 1200) per 1000 vaccines then if they run out before they get to you it's tough luck.

That's even worse in my opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

wouldnt this mean they are keeping 100 health care workers or extremely vulnerable people tied up? on the statistically likely chance that most of them wont get it.

The extra doses that they got from the vials, you know this.

Sorry for the smart a££ question but what I'm saying is that they should have known there was more doses. This is dependent on the type of delivery system used.

And how do those people get there on short notice? You can have lists, backups, spare copies and contingency plans, but they were working against a ticking clock....

Why does it have to be short notice? Where is the back up list? You don't have to operate against a ticking clock of having to give the vaccine to relatives.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Clearly they were not working in The Coombe in any serious capacity because if they were, they would have been on the original list ie they would have gotten the vaccine on their own merit. But they didn't get it on their own merit, they got it only because their father ie The Boss pulled them forward. That's as clear as I can make it.

So once they'd used their allocated vaccines, and then 104 of the additional doses, how would you have dispensed 16 doses that would have otherwise been binned?

As clear as you can make it.

Sorry for the smart a££ question but what I'm saying is that they should have known there was more doses. This is dependent on the type of delivery system used.

Why does it have to be short notice? Where is the back up list? You don't have to operate against a ticking clock of having to give the vaccine to relatives.

This was the 8th yes? So the 6th dose was still a recommendation, so they had no Guarentee of the extra doses, and they were only going to know when they extracted them. Even if they did it in batches and pulled 120 extra doses each time, there was no guarentee of numbers, that's why it was short notice.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

I used to live just down the road. Most walking around Cork Street at that time on a Friday night would definitely follow you if you offered them an injection.

• Advertisement

So once they'd used their allocated vaccines, and then 104 of the additional doses, how would you have dispensed 16 doses that would have otherwise been binned?

As clear as you can make it.

There should have been a list, a back up allocation list, a functional IT platform and in the case that didn't exist they should have avoided giving it to their own children as it puts the fairness of the system in disrepute.

Advertisement