Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Would people prefer to see the headline '16 vaccine doses binned on Friday night'?

They were left over, it's not like they 16 staff members didn't get their first dose because they were given to family members instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

JeffKenna wrote: »
    It's not a binary choice between throwing them away and giving them to your daughter's. Could have easily given them to patients in the hospital who are high risk and perhaps save their life.

Also the Combe isnt a million miles away from other hospitals with vunerable patients so why couldnt it be given to others on waiting lists in other hospitals.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The upshot of this now is that excess vaccine doses are going to get binned because the people administering them are going to be worried about the flak they'll get if someone not on the list receives one.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

People are painting the decision as black and white here. It isn't necessarily a case that they were either given to family members or throw them out.

Potentially senior staff overseeing the vaccination process exerted their influence to secure vaccinations for family members ahead of others who should have been prioritised.

It isn't even the family members over 70that I have issue with but do you mean to tell me that they couldn't find anyone working in the hospital, the local garda stations, fire stations, ambulance crews, nursing homes, GPs, pharmacies that would rank ahead of the kids if the master?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

kingstevii wrote: »
    Could've rang dolphins barn fire station and got the 16 paramedics on duty that evening vaccinated. The same paramedics who got their vaccination cancelled last Thursday.

And how many paramedics would have been on duty while that lot got their vaccinations? And you are certain none of them had anything more urgent to do. How long should the hospital ring around for the sake of it before making a call and bringing in people they already happen to know are free. Remembering that the hospital staff aren't exactly sitting around all day anyway.

If you want an "on call" list of people ready to go you can avoid this with plenty of admin. However it seems more likely that this "outrage" will lead to the vaccine getting binned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

JeffKenna wrote: »
    It's not a binary choice between throwing them away and giving them to your daughter's. Could have easily given them to patients in the hospital who are high risk and perhaps save their life.
    Patients in the maternity hospital who aren't eligible for the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Not following procedure and bending rules diminishes confidence in the programme with the public.

The optics are really poor. I'm amazed at how many are saying but "ah sure". Same attitude is why so many scandals are swept under the carpet and no one is held to account.

I don't believe this to be an isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

PO!NT wrote: »
    You think this is an isolated incident?

I don't know because I have no proof - you're the one who believes things with '0 proof'.

Zero proof - you're not even coming out with the usual 'well I heard off a mate that works in a hospital' type guff, you're believing something with no proof whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

_Brian wrote: »
    In other centres there aren’t enough vaccinations to go round so excess isn’t a problem.

Pity now is it will be a safer bet to bin them than have outrage over who gets them.

I agree.

What this demonstrated is that the you can skip the queue if you know someone on the "inside"

I was hoping this wouldn't creep in but again, I dont believe this was an isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Kimbot wrote: »
    Also the Combe isnt a million miles away from other hospitals with vunerable patients so why couldnt it be given to others on waiting lists in other hospitals.

Not even a 10 mins drive to St. James hospital where 100's of nurses work with Covid patients every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The doses perish rapidly once prepared. They simply couldn't have set up additional appointments for people in the at risk groups to come in. There wasn't enough time. If they tried to do that sure the doses would be gone off and have to be thrown away.

The had a very limited timeframe and it was a case of vaccinate someone near at hand, or don't vaccinate anyone and throw it in the bin. This is a stupid storm in a teacup. Outragers looking to be outraged. Everyone is going to get vaccinated anyway. That is 16 people off of the waiting list, whoever they might be, young or old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not even a 10 mins drive to St. James hospital where 100's of nurses work with Covid patients every day.

8 minutes to Crumlin who hadnt got enough doses when they started to vaccinate

Kimbot wrote: »
    It can't be transported when made up, and you can't bring sick people from another hospital into a maternity hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am a grandparent in my 70s, I am confined to the house. It isn't that big a deal. I don't have to work or to be anywhere and most of my friends in my age group are the same, we stay home and wait. I would much prefer to see front line workers - even to the people in the supermarkets - actually, especially people working in supermarkets, get the vaccine first.

The idea of giving it to young people and less compliant people first - all those eejits you see wandering around in gaggles with no mask in sight - has merit. Yes its not 'fair' on people who are being compliant, but its not about fairness, its about stopping the epidemic, and if a pragmatic approach to treating the less bright and less public spirited - indeed, stupid - among us is the way to stop it then so be it. If the swarm of morons that packed into a pub in Tramore had been vaccinated the Waterford figures would not have gone from near the bottom to third highest so suddenly and we would all be a lot safer.

It doesn't really matter who gets it first after front line workers and people in group situations like care homes. Its not magic, it will be at least a couple of weeks after the second dose before it has any beneficial effect afaik, we just need to accept that its still a waiting game. And people who have been vaccinated could let their guards down and get it before the vaccine has had chance to kick in. Being later in the distribution is almost preferable.

If someone was 'selling' vaccination opportunities then I would have an objection, but this using up of immediate supplies rather than wasting them is a non-starter in the outrage stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Hoboo wrote: »
    It was the right decision which was time critical in a system that doesn't yet exist, to avoid wasteage.

Nothing to see here.

So, in a time critical system, there just happened to be 14 over 70s hanging about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

SteM wrote: »
    I don't know because I have no proof - you're the one who believes things with '0 proof'.

Zero proof - you're not even coming out with the usual 'well I heard off a mate that works in a hospital' type guff, you're believing something with no proof whatsoever.

and?

Thats human nature lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    8 minutes to Crumlin who hadnt got enough doses when they started to vaccinate

Yes, it's amazing isn't it that they couldn't ask 16 frontline healthcare workers to come and get the leftover vaccines, they would have been in and out back at work in Crumlin hospital within the hour, yet 16 staff family members just happened to be closer to the Coombe?

SteM wrote: »
    Would people prefer to see the headline '16 vaccine doses binned on Friday night'?

They were left over, it's not like they 16 staff members didn't get their first dose because they were given to family members instead.

It's actually very likely. Just ask the nurses who rocked up for vaccines in hospitals around the country only to be told that there were none left.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Patients in the maternity hospital who aren't eligible for the vaccine?

The people that got them weren't eligible either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It can't be transported when made up, and you can't bring sick people from another hospital into a maternity hospital.

What about ambulance drivers that could have been administered it in the carpark? Or Guards/firefighters etc that would easily travel and are front line workers unlike the people that ended up getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The outragers are going to love this one.

Hateful to see a bit of common sense get in the way of a decent bit of outrage, especially during theses trying times.

It is an absolute disgrace etc etc , typical abuse of senior positions etc etc, how dare they? My auntie hasn't got hers yet etc etc.
    He is already on record as regretting including family members and has apologised. It's this rather than avoiding the wastage of waste doses that's likely to rankle. A bad decision and very bad optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Family members who worked in the hospital though. I agree the optics aren't great.

Not all. Two were kids of the master in there 20s with only 1 working for him occasionally as an assistant in his private clinic. As others said theres plenty of hospitals,a garda and fire station near by who couldhavebeen contacted. Nepotism/Jabs for the boys

The doses perish rapidly once prepared. They simply couldn't have set up additional appointments for people in the at risk groups to come in. There wasn't enough time. If they tried to do that sure the doses would be gone off and have to be thrown away.

The had a very limited timeframe and it was a case of vaccinate someone near at hand, or don't vaccinate anyone and throw it in the bin. This is a stupid storm in a teacup. Outragers looking to be outraged. Everyone is going to get vaccinated anyway. That is 16 people off of the waiting list, whoever they might be, young or old.

So, these relatives just happened to be near at hand?

You can bring staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

RCK1 wrote: »
    Not all. Two were kids of the master in there 20s with only 1 working for him occasionally as an assistant in his private clinic. As others said theres plenty of hospitals,a garda and fire station near by who couldhavebeen contacted. Nepotism/Jabs for the boys

Jabs for the boys. Now that is catchy.... I expect to see that on a newspaper headline at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

From the article I read about it, it seems they had 120 extra doses at the end of the day due to getting 6 and sometimes 7 doses from the vials. They seemingly contacted everyone they could and even after that, were still left with 16 doses, and then the family members were called in. TBH if that's the case I've no issue with it at all.
    If, however, staff members were being left short because family members were getting it, its another matter altogether, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

The optics are terrible and it just gives the baying mob reason to be outraged, but, meh, storm in a teacup for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

polesheep wrote: »
    So, these relatives just happened to be near at hand?

You think it unlikely that between a chunk of the hospital staff they came up with 16 people who work/live near the hospital where their relatives work?

Russman wrote: »
    From the article I read about it, it seems they had 120 extra doses at the end of the day due to getting 6 and sometimes 7 doses from the vials. They seemingly contacted everyone they could and even after that, were still left with 16 doses, and then the family members were called in. TBH if that's the case I've no issue with it at all.
    If, however, staff members were being left short because family members were getting it, its another matter altogether, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

The optics are terrible and it just gives the baying mob reason to be outraged, but, meh, storm in a teacup for me.

They could have called my wife and she'd have gone in. She's a nurse working with Covid patients who had her appointment for vaccination cancelled twice.

Christy42 wrote: »
    You think it unlikely that between a chunk of the hospital staff they came up with 16 people who work/live near the hospital where their relatives work?

No but they could have easily gotten 16 FRONT LINE WORKERS in the same time as they got 16 family members together.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    The people that got them weren't eligible either.
    Let me rephrase. Patients in the maternity hospital who medically cannot receive the vaccine.

Advertisement