Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's crazy to throw them out but it's also crazy to give it to someone at the expense of a higher priority person. I don't believe the boss' part time, voluntary sons were the highest priority available.

They weren't - that's why they vaccinated over a thousand other people first, and then when they ran out of people to vaccinate and had some left over, they vaccinated them rather than throw it in the bin and have them take up a vaccine slot later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

quokula wrote: »
    They weren't - that's why they vaccinated over a thousand other people first, and then when they ran out of people to vaccinate and had some left over, they vaccinated them rather than throw it in the bin find someone higher priority than the Boss' sons

Fixed Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We've had people in this thread ask for that very thing. I expect to see some of them in a forthcoming "why is roll out taking so long?" thread, and wouldn't bet against seeing them in a "Omg they're just THROWING OUT VACCINE?" one in the meantime.

*chanting*

STOP COUNTING AND COUNT THE VOTE

VACCINE FAST AND VACCINE SLOW

If they lived in the US, they'd be a donald supporter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cannot stand this constant b1tching and political point scoring, everyone who was due to be vacinated was vacinated and they had a few doses left over, so if they were to do the 'right' thing then they should be fxuked into the bin.

My father is on chemo, mother works with elderly people with disabilities, uncle who lives alone and has health issues hasn't left the house since March, other ****ing uncle was receiving treatment for prostate cancer. With all this I still have zero issue with these people getting vaccine because everyone who was due to get the vaccine got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

astrofool wrote: »
    *chanting*

STOP COUNTING AND COUNT THE VOTE

VACCINE FAST AND VACCINE SLOW

If they lived in the US, they'd be a donald supporter :)

Some amount of ****e in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fixed Q.

So they didn't even try? 104 people just happened to be in the hospital? How many people should they have tried before you deemed it acceptable to vaccinate two people who work in the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If this was a calculated act, and an extra 120 people got vaccinated so he sneak a jab into his 2 kids, then he should be running the whole hse....

120 who jumped the queue and who will not now get the second dose on time and will have to pay for a third dose to make up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A lot of people saying that it isn't easy to find 16 people to give the vaccine to at short notice.

Sure is pure good luck that the good doctor had 16 family members who just happened to be primed and ready to get theirs. What are the chances! All of them there within a few hours, must be a very close family. I know organizing things for my family is like herding cats at times.

I wonder if there are any family members left unvaccinated? Some coincidence if the number going to waste just exactly matched the number of close family members, but a coincidence all the same I'm sure.

But hey, its all above board I'm sure, nothing would ever be untoward in the HSE.

So they didn't even try? 104 people just happened to be in the hospital? How many people should they have tried before you deemed it acceptable to vaccinate two people who work in the hospital?

No I don't believe the best people they could get were the boss' sons. I also think the fact that this was leaked is indicative of how bad it was seen.

As I say I seen a litany of nepotism in the HSE, whole families working there, staff's family and friends skipped ahead of the queue for appointments and incompetents hired based on who they're related to. I seen all this but very rarely is this stuff leaked. It must have really p1ssed off people.

Sure is pure good luck that the good doctor had 16 family members who just happened to be primed and ready to get theirs.
    It is painfully clear that you haven't read the article, nor do you have even the most rudimentary grasp of the situation being discussed. I'd suggest you educate yourself before you embarrass yourself even further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A lot of people saying that it isn't easy to find 16 people to give the vaccine to at short notice.

Sure is pure good luck that the good doctor had 16 family members who just happened to be primed and ready to get theirs. What are the chances! All of them there within a few hours, must be a very close family. I know organizing things for my family is like herding cats at times.

I wonder if there are any family members left unvaccinated? Some coincidence if the number going to waste just exactly matched the number of close family members, but a coincidence all the same I'm sure.

But hey, its all above board I'm sure, nothing would ever be untoward in the HSE.

Guy's position is untenable, laughing stock made of the HSE , what else has he been giving away to the family?

It was 2 relatives, who work in the hospital, but you do you.

Amazing the amount of people who believe that by sheer coincidence the two people who were highest priority and best suited happened to be the boss' sons.

They'll be selling their cow for magic beans next.

120 who jumped the queue and who will not now get the second dose on time and will have to pay for a third dose to make up for it

Why won't they get the second dose on time? Why would they have to pay for a free vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I thought they worked in his private practice?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So why did the Board and Master of the Coombe apologise?

It may be that he doesn't want anybody looking deeper into this, better to apologise and hope the focus moves elsewhere than to make excuses that might encourage investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Such a shame that this is happening 3 weeks into vaccinating. I’m relatively young (36), I’m happy to wait till November or whatever for my vaccine, however this stuff boils my piss, it’s just another mark against people in high positions. Rules don’t apply to them, only to the peasants. Some say it’s only a few vaccines, a few vaccines in the coombe, appears it happened in the rotunda also, all of a sudden they are all at it.

Fire station right up the road from the coombe, I’m sure they would have appreciated the “left over doses that would have gone in the bin” such a load of horse****. It was an abuse of power, plain and simple.

H ask yourself who made the decision for the boss' sons to get the vaccination? Bear in mind it's not usually the boss that picks out individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I was under the impression the Son worked for his fathers private practice and the daughter volunteered. Not exactly the same thing.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I thought they worked in his private practice?

Yep one worked in his private practice and one worked on and off.
    Two of the recipients are understood to be Dr O’Connell’s children, one of whom is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in his private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I haven't been following the thread closely so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Will the people who got the vaccine now have to get the second dose as well.

Amazing the amount of people who believe that by sheer coincidence the two people who were highest priority and best suited happened to be the boss' sons.

If we have learned one thing this year it is that there is nothing that some people will not excuse in their public servants.

Show them a system wide open for abuse and instead of demanding improvements they would rather shoot the messengers and pretend that nothing could possibly be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

joe40 wrote: »
    I haven't been following the thread closely so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Yep.

H ask yourself who made the decision for the boss' sons to get the vaccination? Bear in mind it's not usually the boss that picks out individuals.

So why weren't they they first people in the queue? Or the first to get the excess? Did his wife or other family members get the vaccine? That's some ****ty nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

Given ease of getting hold of is one of the conditions for suitability it isn't that much of a shocker.

How many people did they try to get the 104? They ran out options, should they have had more. Well that depends on how many they did try and how many you would expect to be available at any one time.

However, if you run out of options then the last step has to be who do you k ow as you have run out of other options.

The question is what options did they try beforehand (keeping in mind they did manage 104 people on short notice).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So why weren't they they first people in the queue? Or the first to get the excess? Did his wife or other family members get the vaccine? That's some ****ty nepotism.

We don't know who the other 14 are?

Show me one person who's claimed that? Because my money says that you won't be able to. Stop sharpening your pitchforks for a second and read what people are typing.

They weren't the highest priority or best suited or anything else you want to conjure out of thin air. They were available, and that's pretty much it.

Until proven otherwise, you have to take the official story as related in the media.
    They had 120 extra doses
    They rounded up 104 people at short notice
    Couldn't get any more for whatever reason
    Asked staff to see if they knew anybody and then 16 were given the jab

That's all that's to it. But everyone assumes that because the boss' kids are among the lucky few then there SIMPLY HAS TO BE SOMETHING underhanded going on. Has to be. Because, as a couple of posters have alluded to, that's what they'd be doing if they were in that position! You couldn't make this sh1t up.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    We don't know who the other 14 are?

His granny with a fake ID was it?

joe40 wrote: »

Yes they will and they'll take up space on the next list. From the Irish Times.
    Another problem with the misallocation of vaccines, as has happened at the Coombe, is that those people who received a first dose out of sequence will require a second one in three to four weeks’ time, thereby further depriving people who are most exposed to the virus of the opportunity to be immunised. Further, we don’t know whether sufficient supplies will be available at that time.

• Advertisement

Show me one person who's claimed that? Because my money says that you won't be able to. Stop sharpening your pitchforks for a second and read what people are typing.

They weren't the highest priority or best suited or anything else you want to conjure out of thin air. They were available, and that's pretty much it.

Until proven otherwise, you have to take the official story as related in the media.
    They had 120 extra doses
    They rounded up 104 people at short notice
    Couldn't get any more for whatever reason
    Asked staff to see if they knew anybody and then 16 were given the jab

That's all that's to it. But everyone assumes that because the boss' kids are among the lucky few then there SIMPLY HAS TO BE SOMETHING underhanded going on. Has to be. Because, as a couple of posters have alluded to, that's what they'd be doing if they were in that position! You couldn't make this sh1t up.

I'll change it to the highest priority available. You can't believe that the boss' sons, one of whom didn't even work there was the highest priority available.

He would have had to come in the hospital to get it sure!

Advertisement