Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you give us the list of people who, within an hour and with no consent issues you could have materialized?

Better to have wasted them than to have given them to family even if that was all that could be mustered as options, because the optics of nepotism are unavoidable no matter if they were the only options.
    It stinks to high heaven.
    A head must roll here. I insist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not a big deal. Better that they were administered and not dumped.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Show me one person who's claimed that? Because my money says that you won't be able to. Stop sharpening your pitchforks for a second and read what people are typing.

They weren't the highest priority or best suited or anything else you want to conjure out of thin air. They were available, and that's pretty much it.

Until proven otherwise, you have to take the official story as related in the media.
    They had 120 extra doses
    They rounded up 104 people at short notice
    Couldn't get any more for whatever reason
    Asked staff to see if they knew anybody and then 16 were given the jab

That's all that's to it. But everyone assumes that because the boss' kids are among the lucky few then there SIMPLY HAS TO BE SOMETHING underhanded going on. Has to be. Because, as a couple of posters have alluded to, that's what they'd be doing if they were in that position! You couldn't make this sh1t up.

Yeah, and all that money was just resting in John Delaney's account. You're gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So why weren't they they first people in the queue? Or the first to get the excess? Did his wife or other family members get the vaccine? That's some ****ty nepotism.

You have a high bar of nepotism my friend. I could hire my children but not my wife and you'd be defending it as above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

His granny with a fake ID was it?

Well the 2 sons were there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'll change it to the highest priority available. You can't believe that the boss' sons, one of whom didn't even work there was the highest priority available.

He would have had to come in the hospital to get it sure!

What difference would having to go to the hospital make if he lived nearby? Like at all. They knew he was doing nothing important and they knew he was nearby and they knew how to contact him quickly.

How many people did they contact beforehand? They got 104. I am assuming they had some misses getting up to that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

Show me one person who's claimed that? Because my money says that you won't be able to. Stop sharpening your pitchforks for a second and read what people are typing.

They weren't the highest priority or best suited or anything else you want to conjure out of thin air. They were available, and that's pretty much it.

Until proven otherwise, you have to take the official story as related in the media.
    They had 120 extra doses
    They rounded up 104 people at short notice
    Couldn't get any more for whatever reason
    Asked staff to see if they knew anybody and then 16 were given the jab

That's all that's to it. But everyone assumes that because the boss' kids are among the lucky few then there SIMPLY HAS TO BE SOMETHING underhanded going on. Has to be. Because, as a couple of posters have alluded to, that's what they'd be doing if they were in that position! You couldn't make this sh1t up.

I agree. If spare vaccines become available you have a better chance of skipping the group queue if you have friends or family working for the HSE.

Christy42 wrote: »
    What difference would having to go to the hospital make if he lived nearby? Like at all. They knew he was doing nothing important and they knew he was nearby and they knew how to contact him quickly.

How many people did they contact beforehand? They got 104. I am assuming they had some misses getting up to that number.

Jesus. So now the line isn't he was the highest priority person available in the hospital but he was the highest priority person available near the hospital.

PO!NT wrote: »
    I agree. If spare vaccines become available you have a better chance of skipping the group queue if you have friends or family working for the HSE.

Good point point. I have plenty of friends working for the HSE. I'll try to skip the queue the next time the vaccine dose is miscalculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is the now current HSE guidance, which came four days after this event. Key points here that were not observed in this case.
    Centres should establish standby lists of frontline healthcare workers later in the sequence order.

They should be available at short notice and are to be randomly selected from the lists for vaccination in the event that frontline healthcare staff earlier in the sequence order do not attend or cannot receive the vaccine.

The HSE also advised that centres should consider establishing standby lists of other health staff (provisional vaccine allocation Group 4).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jesus. So now the line isn't he was the highest priority person available in the hospital but he was the highest priority person available near the hospital.

So now you're claiming that noone in the hospital got vaccinated....... Or should someone have gotten a second dose because they're higher priority?

Is there a difference? Anyone in range of the hospital should be considered? Like any difference whatsoever in the slightest?

I mean I am guessing the 104 beforehand were not from the hospital or they would have been part of the first 1k.

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is the now current HSE guidance, which came four days after this event. Key points here that were not observed in this case.

How can you observe guidance that doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The problem is alot of people in irish society are used to the nod and wink senario and don't see the wrong in this. This is indicative of Many at the top who have been dragged up the ladder and then drag their own along with them afterwards. The cycle continues. I wouldnt believe a word of the excuses. It's damage limitation and covering ass time.

Funnily enough those guidelines are used worldwide for many different type of vaccination.

Now we know they were wrong. You think people on here will stop defending it?

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is there a difference?

Yep there's a big difference in priorities. That's why we have guidelines for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How can you observe guidance that doesn't exist?
    You assume that those leading it are up to the job of planning it out properly. The guidance looks like planning, what happened in the Coombe was clearly not.

The problem is alot of people in irish society are used to the nod and wink senario and don't see the wrong in this. This is indicative of Many at the top who have been dragged up the ladder and then drag their own along with them afterwards. The cycle continues. I wouldnt believe a word of the excuses. It's damage limitation and covering ass time.

The problem in Ireland has been people making it look like they were doing a job without doing it. We have already had people saying doctors should have done the job incorrectly so it wouldn't look bad and throw out the vaccine.

You assume that those leading it are up to the job of planning it out properly. The guidance looks like planning, what happened in the Coombe was clearly not.

I agree, but at the time they had nothing to work with, the 6th dose was literally changing from a possibility to a recommendation that day, I don't see how you plan for that....

I agree, but at the time they had nothing to work with, the 6th dose was literally changing from a possibility to a recommendation that day, I don't see how you plan for that....

Nope it wasn't. The Pfizer guidelines state how much you can use dependent on the needle size used. Some are saying there's spare or leftover vaccines. There are no spare vaccines. Medicine is calculated with precision, not "oh look there was more than we thought".

• Advertisement

Ah I seen it all the time Peter.

My friend complained when a woman hired her not properly qualified nephew as a lab staff member in a certain Dublin hospital. Her replies were exactly as they appear here "so what"? They were the best for the job ect. I think a lot of Irish people deserve this HSE.

Bear in mind we're not long after the cervical check scandal where this was said:
    Dr Gabriel Scally said there was a "complete failure from top to bottom" in the cervical screening programme and that some of the women and their relatives had been treated "appallingly badly".

Yet people are still defending substandard practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Why won't they get the second dose on time? Why would they have to pay for a free vaccine?

There wont be any surplus and they arent on a priority list, next September at earliest , master guy can get his after picking up his dole

Nope it wasn't. The Pfizer guidelines state how much you can use dependent on the needle size used. Some are saying there's spare or leftover vaccines. There are no spare vaccines. Medicine is calculated with precision, not "oh look there was more than we thought".

Then why did the EMA have to ask Pfizer for approval for the 6th dose?

https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/eu-to-approve-extraction-of-sixth-dose-from-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-vial/
    The company has submitted a request for change, which is being reviewed by the CHMP (human medicines committee) in the shortest possible timeframe,” an EMA spokeswoman said, noting the agency had prompted Pfizer to submit data on the possible use of six doses per vial.

“If the CHMP finds that 6 doses can be extracted consistently, it will recommend a change to the current terms of the authorisation to support member states in their roll-out of the vaccine,” the spokeswoman added.

There wont be any surplus and they arent on a priority list, next September at earliest , master guy can get his after picking up his dole

You're just making it up so, no problem......

Because there was a 6th dose.....

The problem is years of putting up with people that were on the take has eroded everyone's confidence and they think everybody is on the take. If it comes out that this guy directly intervened and got his family members bumped up the list, then he should resign. If he didn't, and they were added for any other reason, then this is a non story.

Because there was a 6th dose.....

No, there was enough for a 6th dose, but they were only allowed give 5.
    EU countries started inoculating people with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine two weeks ago, after the European Medicines Agency (EMA) recommended the shot’s conditional approval under an authorisation which allows five doses to be extracted from each vial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

The problem is years of putting up with people that were on the take has eroded everyone's confidence and they think everybody is on the take. If it comes out that this guy directly intervened and got his family members bumped up the list, then he should resign. If he didn't, and they were added for any other reason, then this is a non story.

Why would he apologise if he had a legitimate reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You're just making it up so, no problem......

Think I know where one of the vaccinations went anyway

• Advertisement

Think I know where one of the vaccinations went anyway

Good one, you're as sharp as the needle needed to get the extra dose.....

Advertisement