Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Or they could have just walked out of the hospital, into a local supermarket, pharmacy or any essential shop where the staff are at high risk and offer it to them.

They obviously thought this wouldn't get out.

It was below zero in Dublin two weeks ago, I was coming home from work in the evening passing empty bus stops watching foxes run across the road ahead of me.

At 9.30 at night on Cork Street there isn't a sinner to be found right now. The only things open are a Spar and a Centra that seems to close at 9.45 every time my flatmate uses the last of the milk. The hospital is the only sign of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kirb42 wrote: »
    The issue is nothing to do with the disposal of the left-over vaccine, it’s to do with the proximity of those in authority to nominate who would benefit from it. I gather the cleaning staff, porters and care assistants were given equal opportunity to put the names of their loved ones forward. From my own family perspective, several of which are employed within the organisation, the culture is toxic, no leadership, no discipline, I am not one bit surprised to hear that this has occurred. Out of sheer decency and curtesy, the next in line to receive those vaccines should have been the local police and fire brigade that were on duty that evening… were all equal don’t forget, a few more so than the rest, absolutely nuts…

I’m sure a spare Garda could have collected those issuing the vaccine and brought the vaccine and two medical staff to the station... even if only 7 or 8 there, it’s still better then nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m sure a spare Garda could have collected those issuing the vaccine and brought the vaccine and two medical staff to the station... even if only 7 or 8 there, it’s still better then nothing

It's been well established that once mixed, the vaccine doesn't travel.

And how do you pick which gardai get the vaccine? Why are the ones at their desk more important than the ones on the beat?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

hynesie08 wrote: »

And how do you pick which gardai get the vaccine? Why are the ones at their desk more important than the ones on the beat?

If they contacted the local station they would have 16 from anywhere in dublin in 10 minutes or less. Probably 60 if needed. They would have done it on meal breaks.

If they contacted the local station they would have 16 from anywhere in dublin in 10 minutes or less. Probably 60 if needed. They would have done it on meal breaks.

Wonderful, so when 60 Coppers all rock up, how do you decide which 16 get it?

• Advertisement

Wonderful, so when 60 Coppers all rock up, how do you decide which 16 get it?

1st 16, it's an old trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The vaccine is being brought to care homes, what’s the difference between that and a Garda station ?, genuine question....

Pick which ones ? I wouldn’t be in a position to know, probably there would be some operational priority....

Ist 16, it's an old trick!

So, you don't have a fair way to distribute excess vaccines that doesn't leave some people missing out? Wonderful......

Strumms wrote: »
    The vaccine is being brought to care homes, what’s the difference between that and a Garda station ?, genuine question....

Pick which ones ? I wouldn’t be in a position to know, probably there would be some operational priority....

Yes, and then mixed when they get there, these ones had already been mixed.

The gardai almost certainly have a rollout plan, doubt they have one for less than 20 vaccines appearing in an external location at an hours notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

polesheep wrote: »
    If people accept it.

That is how it should be, however our government are prime example. Nepotism all the time, man do not accept it, yet it is still done against the will of most.

In this case I believe using the vaccine for family members is less of an issue for me than wasting it, however I do believe more effort should have gone into giving to other front line folks.

• Advertisement

So, you don't have a fair way to distribute excess vaccines that doesn't leave some people missing out? Wonderful......

Well if the chiefs sons are working we could give it to them. Would that make you happy. Ist come first served is a tried and tested method. Generally seen to be fair and random!

Well if the chiefs sons are working we could give it to them. Would that make you happy. Ist come first served is a tried and tested method. Generally seen to be fair !

Then why isn't the whole rollout being done on a first come first served basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

simonw wrote: »
    Is it a case that each vial has about 10% extra (1100 scheduled vaccines led to 120 "bonus" ones) to account for wastage, or are the volumes so small that the buffer is sometimes a whole extra dose?
    Each vial initially contains 0.45ml of vaccine. They are then diluted with 1.8ml of saline, giving 2.25ml. The doses are 0.3ml. 2.25 / 0.3 = 7.5

The original instructions specified 5 doses. Then it was updated to 6, and from the above it may sometimes be possible to get a seventh. Anything leftover (when there is less than 0.3ml remaining) is not allowed to be pooled with other vials.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Optics definitely is dreadful, but Israel have a process whereby end of the day excess is offered to a first come first served, makes a lot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How are hospitals in a position that they have spare vaccines in the first place? Is there not a system in place to ensure they only get what they need when they need it?

Its ridiculous to think any facility would be in a position that they have left overs that might be binned, its far better that someone get them than have them go to waste but they should have only been given what they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

eviltwin wrote:
    How are hospitals in a position that they have spare vaccines in the first place? Is there not a system in place to ensure they only get what they need when they need it?

Seems to be common enough, it's not a situation whereby just in time can be applied

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The NHS seem to have it in order:
    Some sites have put care home staff on notice that if we have spare vaccine left over, we’ll call them to come in and be vaccinated.”

The Irish equivalent would be to put sons of boss' on notice.

By the way the here's what the ex master of the Coombe told the Irish Times in relation to the scandal.
    Prof Fitzpatrick, a consultant obstetrician at the Coombe, said he was “deeply concerned” to learn non-frontline relatives of staff had received vaccines.

“It is essential that the public receive greater reassurance, and that the rollout of a lifesaving vaccination programme during this very difficult time is conducted with transparency, equity and accountability, and in accordance with national guidelines,” he said. There needed to be an independent investigation “undertaken quickly to clarify the facts”, he added.

So he's deeply concerned but people used to mickey mouse nepotistic institutions think it's grand.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 Privacy Notice

Storm in a teacup. A few people got the vaccine earlier than they should have according to the government's list. Big facking deal. Is nothing but this week's faux outrage for the perpetually offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The NHS seem to have it in order:

The Irish equivalent would be to put sons of boss' on notice.

Well when the Prime Minister's dad got first and second dose before millions have even had the first dose. I wouldn't hold the UK up as a beacon of virtue.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Well when the Prime Minister's dad got first and second dose before millions have even had the first dose. I wouldn't hold the UK up as a beacon of virtue.

No I'm not but we need to have a good look at ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It's not surprising. Ireland is a great old country for looking after the lads.

I have colleagues in other Dublin hospitals. I guarantee you'll see more news on this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you think its bad here, you only have to look overseas to see how rampant this is...

in Lithuania for example, the families of connected politicians and wealthy businessmen have all received a dose of the vaccine.....

I'd imagine a lot of connected folk & 'elites' in Ireland have received their 1st dose already... and will be getting their 2nd dose in the coming days...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you think its bad here, you only have to look overseas to see how rampant this is...

in Lithuania for example, the families of connected politicians and wealthy businessmen have all received a dose of the vaccine.....

I'd imagine a lot of connected folk & 'elites' in Ireland have received their 1st dose already... and will be getting their 2nd dose in the coming days...

Do you have any evidence of this happening in Ireland? The media would be having a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Storm in a teacup. A few people got the vaccine earlier than they should have according to the government's list. Big facking deal. Is nothing but this week's faux outrage for the perpetually offended.
    Sure but bad optics can make the perpetually offended question the process and might even make some of them decide not to engage with it at all. Complete lack of big picture awareness and what looks like poor planning is what is driving some of the response to this.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence of this happening in Ireland? The media would be having a field day.

I don't think anyone would complain to be honest. The hospital boss' son received it and the public insisted he was the only high priority they could find. This country doesn't seem to think of nepotism as bad.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure but bad optics can make the perpetually offended question the process and might even make some of them decide not to engage with it at all. Complete lack of big picture awareness and what looks like poor planning is what is driving some of the response to this.

This is what the ex master of the Coombe said:
    Prof Fitzpatrick, a consultant obstetrician at the Coombe, said he was “deeply concerned” to learn non-frontline relatives of staff had received vaccines.

“It is essential that the public receive greater reassurance, and that the rollout of a lifesaving vaccination programme during this very difficult time is conducted with transparency, equity and accountability, and in accordance with national guidelines,” he said. There needed to be an independent investigation “undertaken quickly to clarify the facts”, he added.

Why do you have more awareness to the overall picture than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This is what the ex master of the Coombe said:

Why do you have more awareness to the overall picture than him?
    I think you've spectacularly misinterpreted my post!

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think you've spectacularly misinterpreted my post!

Ah I apologise ITS.

Advertisement