Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Once formulated, the vaccine can't travel, there was a case in Germany where transport up a stairs left it unusable.

All vaccine should be used, everyone vaccinated is 1 less person to be vaccinated in the future.

The vaccine is not approved for anyone who is pregnant (yet).

The Master should have ensured that his family members did not get the excess doses, if you are in charge of a system, you move heaven and earth to make sure that you do no gain benefit from that system, family members of any other member of staff should have been brought in to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Kimbot wrote: »
    What about ambulance drivers that could have been administered it in the carpark? Or Guards/firefighters etc that would easily travel and are front line workers unlike the people that ended up getting it.
    I don't know if these people were available, I'm only responding to the claim that they should have brought patients of other hospitals in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Christy42 wrote: »
    You think it unlikely that between a chunk of the hospital staff they came up with 16 people who work/live near the hospital where their relatives work?

You do realise that there are hundreds of nurses and other HCWs living in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Two college going kids of the Master of the Hospital were among those who got the vaccine.
    Was there really nobody else around? I bet he didn't offer the cleaning or canteen staff a vaccine.
    James's Hospital is literally 5 minutes away also.

I have to laugh at the tolerance people have for this type of carry on. Many making excuses for this. Why? It's an acceptance of low standards.

polesheep wrote: »
    You can bring staff.
    But that's not what was asked.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Let me rephrase. Patients in the maternity hospital who medically cannot receive the vaccine.

Between working and living there, the area is littered with medical staff. There is absolutely no justification for what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He has apoligised to obviously knows it was not exactly the right thing to do

Master of the Coombe maternity hospital Prof Michael O’Connell].”

RESIGN. blatant corruption.

astrofool wrote: »
    Once formulated, the vaccine can't travel, there was a case in Germany where transport up a stairs left it unusable.

All vaccine should be used, everyone vaccinated is 1 less person to be vaccinated in the future.

The vaccine is not approved for anyone who is pregnant (yet).

The Master should have ensured that his family members did not get the excess doses, if you are in charge of a system, you move heaven and earth to make sure that you do no gain benefit from that system, family members of any other member of staff should have been brought in to get it.

No. Frontline HCWs should have got it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't know if these people were available, I'm only responding to the claim that they should have brought patients of other hospitals in.

I would imagine that within a few minutes travel time of the coombe there are plenty of Front Line Workers that would have travelle & made themselves available to get the vaccine so they didnt move heaven and earth to ensure it went to the most needy they just decided to vaccinate their family.

Yes, it isn't like someone bribed their way on to a lifeboat from a sinking ship.
    Everyone who gets vaccinated is helping those who aren't vaccinated by presenting less of a risk to the remainder of the population.

The vaccine appointments should be managed fairly but but if there are shots left over after making a decent effort to find candiates then first come/first serve is the best pragmatic response.

• Advertisement

Between working and living there, the area is littered with medical staff. There is absolutely no justification for what happened.

Of which they managed to get ~104 of those people to the coombe to receive the vaccine at short notice, leaving 16 still left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The upshot of this now is that excess vaccine doses are going to get binned because the people administering them are going to be worried about the flak they'll get if someone not on the list receives one.
    That's doubtful, their excuse about the now working IT system is gone, but hospitals do need a very clear definition of who can get one. The issue of positive public perception is vital in the rollout.

I said last week on another thread, before this Coombe incident came to light, that an investigation into the roll-out is warranted.

We have the worst rollout of the vaccine in the developed world and plenty to be angry about. This seems like a case of not wanting to waste the vaccine, again, down to our abysmal rollout out rather than "it's not what you know, it's who you know..." (which we'll no need see plenty of in the coming months).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Two college going kids of the Master of the Hospital were among those who got the vaccine.
    Was there really nobody else around? I bet he didn't offer the cleaning or canteen staff a vaccine.
    James's Hospital is literally 5 minutes away also.

I have to laugh at the tolerance people have for this type of carry on. It's an acceptance of low standards.

Yeah, anyone in the vicinity of the Coombe on a day to day should have got it ahead of the kids.

We have the worst rollout of the vaccine in the developed world and plenty to be angry about. This seems like a case of not wanting to waste the vaccine, again, down to our abysmal rollout out rather than "it's not what you know, it's who you know..." (which we'll no need see plenty of in the coming months).

We are doing 2nd best of all the EU countries, and on track to meet every target that has been set.

You are talking horse manure.

Yes, it isn't like someone bribed their way on to a lifeboat from a sinking ship.
    Everyone who gets vaccinated is helping those who aren't vaccinated by presenting less of a risk to the remainder of the population.

The vaccine appointments should be managed fairly but but if there are shots left over after making a decent effort to find candiates then first come/first serve is the best pragmatic response.

Tell that to a HCW who contracts the virus in work when they could have had one of those 'left over' vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Resignation is the only acceptable outcome here.

There is no defending it , you have a veritable host of people in the hospital or in surrounding areas with huge numbers of frontline workers who should be top of the call list every time. Giving it to your kids is sackable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

votecounts wrote: »
    No wonder the rollout will takes ages:(

Surely not disposing of vaccines will speed up the rollout? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

So this is the latest hangout of the professionally outraged?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

votecounts wrote: »
    People like myself waiting patiently for my parents to get the vaccine and low risk people get it simply because they have a family member in the know. If they were going to run out why did they order so many or give them to more deserving cases. Sackable offence for Donnolly and the staff members involved.
    No wonder the rollout will takes ages:(

One of the reasons our politicians never get proper scrutiny over many things is because of stupid assertions like this. If everything is their fault, then nothing is their fault.

Suggesting that Donnelly is at fault for this, and not the Master of the hospital that decided to go off on one on his own (including vaccinating his kids), is moronic. Criticise politicians on things they do wrong, not on things they have nothing whatsoever to do with.

Kimbot wrote: »
    I would imagine that within a few minutes travel time of the coombe there are plenty of Front Line Workers that would have travelle & made themselves available to get the vaccine so they didnt move heaven and earth to ensure it went to the most needy they just decided to vaccinate their family.
    I imagine you're right. But I don't know how easy it would be to find them at 9.30 pm considering they had found all they could for the other 104 extra doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

To me, this is the only issue here.

The person in charge of the institute appears to have personally benefitted from his position. It's an amazing lack of judgment on their part if they didn't realise that literally anybody working in the building should have been given leftovers vaccines before the Master's children. If these were indeed the two people of last resort in the hospital at the time, then fair enough.

Tell that to a HCW who contracts the virus in work when they could have had one of those 'left over' vaccines.
    I'd be quite happy to tell them that. If you need to be prioritised then hound the administrator in your nearby vaccination centres in the same way as you would hound the local driving test centre or NCTS to get a cancellation spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is outrageous.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    It's not a binary choice between throwing them away and giving them to your daughter's. Could have easily given them to patients in the hospital who are high risk and perhaps save their life.

in a maternity hospital.... really??? Where the patients are all young mothers, in labour or recovering from birth, and newborn babies! You cannot vaccinate either group!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

LOL, now this is pure scutter.

Check the stats before posing pure lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not great optics but mostly because morons are just waiting to jump on any sort of criticism. It's well known that one more dose of vaccine can be made from one bottle if those preparing vaccine are careful. That means hospitals could have some extra doses available. Out tens or hundred thousand vaccines given the issue now seems to be that 16 family members or people in private hospitals are getting the vaccine. Apparently those working in private hospitals are immune to Covid because the hospital is private and extra doses should be dumped or or hospital employees should be sent door to door to find extra people to vaccinate.

Yes it's not the best optics but health workers and their families were among those with highest risks of infection from Covid 19 for almost a year. I really couldn't care less if 16 extra doses were given to family members.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We have the worst rollout of the vaccine in the developed world and plenty to be angry about.

Hard not to feel a bit of pity for people who think like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

You do realise that there are hundreds of nurses and other HCWs living in the area?

I am sure they had all those personal numbers to hand and plenty of free time to keep ringing till they round enough who weren't working/sleeping/ out shopping/ all ready vaccinated. Sure hospital workers have loads of free time these days.

They contacted the HSE and tried to give it to front line workers. They failed so they used it on people they knew were free.

And I was responding to your incredulity that hospital workers might have family members nearby.

Advertisement