Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

daheff wrote: »
    maybe they did contact the fire brigade and they may already have had been vaccinated?

You could also say that ST James' hospital is within 10-15 mins of the coombe too.

Perhaps they did. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

trying to explain logistics to plonkers

This just about sums up all the bleaters in this thread. Obviously none of them has ever had a job that involved simultaneously contacting and dealing with people, managing paperwork and working till 9.30 pm after a full day shift. Its astonishing how you become so much more qualified to deal with a subject the less you actually know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

booterboy wrote: »
    16 jabs would have been wasted if not used.
    Have no problem with this as we are in position to flush vaccines down the toilet.

16 family member happened to be hanging around as 16 jabs were gong to be wasted?

surely they could have found more staff or even patients to give it to

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

This is Ireland, we are rotten to the core, the nod and wink came into play here. It was always going to happen and will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

If it’s the case that supply is what’s limiting the vaccination rate then they need to be more careful with not getting into this situation where doses could end up discarded or going to the wrong people. Apparently, it takes 30 minutes to thaw the vials at room temperature. So I don’t see why they would be reconstituting more doses than they know they have people to give them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

PO!NT wrote: »
    2 weeks ago we had St Vincent’s Senior Management getting vaccinated before some of the ICU staff.

Friday we have family members of the Coombe getting vaccinated.

it doesn't give the average joe who has to wait until Q3 or later confident to get vaccinated within the timeline presented by the HSE .
    So by vaccinating some Q3 and higher priority people early with excess doses they are in fact slowing things down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Sarn

Each vial is intended to give 6 doses. However, each vial makes 2.25 ml (7.5 doses) of which 0.3 ml is a dose. This is to allow for small losses between doses. So it is possible that extra doses can be given from a vial.

If a tray of vials is defrosted, it would explain why there was some left over as they would need to be used. It could be argued that better control on the number of vials thawed should be used, but it depends on the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

from the bit I heard on the radio, it just seems like trying to cause a storm for no reason. The only scandal would be if they had been flushed and they werent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wonder who let the cat outta the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Freewheel wrote: »
    Great work getting 1,100 vaccines administered. Hug logistical challenge and I’m certain those organising put in long and stressful hours and at the very end made a quick decision not to waste last few and needed to get people in quickly and no formal process so got 16 family members in quickly. Not 100% perfect but in overall context these people deserve our praise and appreciation

Do you really believe that in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Some say 16 wasted vaccines.... What happens now when everyone else thinks "ah sure he done it and got away with it so I might chance it and do the same" resulting in a shortfall.

In the scheme of things it's a big problem and they need to fix that process flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

Just contacted a family member who got the vaccine as they work in a hospital. I requested that if there are any leftovers to give me a shout . She informed me they have lists for such scenarios and the Coombe are having a laugh.
    Head man should be fired .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bambi wrote: »
    There was someone in the coronavirus forum/thread last week who claimed this was happening

Doubt this is an isolated case, the ould Health Service Executive is a source of national pride so we must protect it, and all its relatives...

Along logistics. There are supposed to be 5 doses in a vial. That 5 do you understand 5. However as in any field work things are different. Experienced staff realize after a short period that there are extra doses. They use these up on the day. We are only into the third week. Practical applications wl see these accounted for by logistics as less doses are supplied going forward

Again think use your brain that what you have it for. If you were doing that job for the last ten day what would you have done.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would have 0 objections to what the coombe had done had the 16 vaccines went to family that were in the vunerable groups, but they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Optics : bad
    Decision : correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

baldbear wrote: »
    Just contacted a family member who got the vaccine as they work in a hospital. I requested that if there are any leftovers to give me a shout . She informed me they have lists for such scenarios and the Coombe are having a laugh.

How long is their list out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did they have these lists 10 days ago when this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The article states:
    The hospital said the HSE vaccination booking system did not go live until the following day and so it was not possible to pre-book vaccinations and to be certain of the doses required.

Which reads to me that yes, there is such a system now, but there was not at the time.

Again, they got 120 other people dosed after dosing 1000+ others and had 16 left with an hour to spare only after exhausting all other available avenues. 9 of 16 were over 70 and at least two of the others actually work for the HSE, one as a volunteer.

It's scandalous to feed HSE staff to the wolves over this when reading into it makes it clear they went above and beyond to use their resources responsibly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kimbot wrote: »
    I would have 0 objections to what the coombe had done had the 16 vaccines went to family that were in the vunerable groups, but they didnt.

9 went to family in vulnerable groups.

2 went to family who were working part time in a health care setting (the masters children, one worked part time in the hospital and the other volunteered part time in the hospital. Both work part time in their father's clinic).

Not sure about the other 5.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have no problem with them using up the vaccine rather than throwing it in the bin.

What I am more concerned about is the second dose that these 16 people require - if they dont get the second dose after this **** show then the 16 doses are wasted anyway as they wont be fully vaccinated.

Id wager a few quid they`ll get the second dose when its required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

He was asking for trouble giving it to his own children. They weren't on the original list so clearly were not deemed in any way requiring of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I have no problem with them using up the vaccine rather than throwing it in the bin.

What I am more concerned about is the second dose that these 16 people require - if they dont get the second dose after this **** show then the 16 doses are wasted anyway as they wont be fully vaccinated.

And they should. If they don't the first shot is wasted anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't understand the outrage. The vaccines were prepared and would have went to waste. If people were hanging around, why not vaccinate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anybody who doesn't see the problem here is being wilfully ignorant.

"Sure they were going to waste anyway"

That excuse is clearly and obviously wide open to abuse.

Can we trust that it was actually true? That the doctor didn't intentionally leave a few to the side or fiddle the numbers to leave himself with a surplus?

"Why did you give the vaccine to 10 of your golfing buddies?" "Sure they were going to waste anyway". How convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Hellrazer wrote: »

Of course they will and they should.
    I would assume their names were recorded and in 3 weeks time when the Coombe are due their dose 2 batch they'll be given enough vials for the total amount of people they gave dose 1 to. Seems only logical to do it this way.

Which of course might lead again to more spare capacity if extra doses are obtained....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

crossman47 wrote: »
    And they should. If they don't the first shot is wasted anyway.

It is not. The second shot doesn't magically activate the first, you get a high degree of immunity from just that one. And we don't actually know how long the window can be, we just have a recommended window based on what's been tested so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

NIMAN wrote: »
    Optics : bad
    Decision : correct

You could more accurately say it's the way the media is choosing to report this which is bad. That's creating bad optics. It could be reported as a proactive step to ensure vaccinations weren't wasted but hey, that don't get click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Family members of front line workers are very vulnerable to getting the virus or as carriers. If you were living in a household where one member was coming back every day with the possibility of being infected you might have a different attitude to family members being vaccinated - whether in a pot-luck situation or as part of the process.

If you had a child in school who was friendly with a child of a front line worker would you be extra concerned about them catching or bringing home the virus?

Or are you fully occupied with looking for things to be outraged about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I don't understand the outrage. The vaccines were prepared and would have went to waste. If people were hanging around, why not vaccinate them?

But the thing is how were these 16 people who were not due a vaccine were hanging around when the spares became available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Anybody who doesn't see the problem here is being wilfully ignorant.

"Sure they were going to waste anyway"

That excuse is clearly and obviously wide open to abuse.

Can we trust that it was actually true? That the doctor didn't intentionally leave a few to the side or fiddle the numbers to leave himself with a surplus?

"Why did you give the vaccine to 10 of your golfing buddies?" "Sure they were going to waste anyway". How convenient.

The chances that 2 of the Master's children were completely randomly part of the only 16 people they could get hold of does stretch the limits of credulity.

Advertisement