Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations to support learning for Junior Infacts

Options
  • 18-01-2021 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

As per my other thread our school hasn’t been very helpful with remote learning so I am taking matters into my own hands and researching websites / apps / resources for junior infants.

Has anyone any recommendations of where best to start or links to different sites. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Khan academy kids might be worth a look. My son loves it, but would have been in senior infants when I got him into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

The reading eggs app has a 30 day free trial. My little boy loves the phonics on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Leigh leat for phonics as Gaeilge.

https://www.leighleat.com/f%C3%B3naic/connacht_audio

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Reading Eggs is good, my JI last year loved it.
    Outside that Twinkl had free acess last year for printing sheets for colouring and that, they may have again.Scholastic have free packs to download and print that go with the Julia Donaldson stories, divided into age 3-5 and 5-7 years old....they might be handy.

"Alphablocks" is an excellent TV show and there is a TG4 app - Cula4 - if you can't get Bua na Cainte, which is free to download.

But honestly, fine motor work like colouring, sorting counting, building, threading, playdoh....that stuff is hugely important.It is easy to give them an app, but their fine motor skills really need development too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Marhaps wrote: »
    As per my other thread our school hasn’t been very helpful with remote learning so I am taking matters into my own hands and researching websites / apps / resources for junior infants.

Has anyone any recommendations of where best to start or links to different sites. Thanks

My understanding is it’s all about hand strength and fine motor skills at that age. I just picked up the old style mála (plasticine) and air drying clay for my senior infant. He’s got plenty of ‘school work’ but while his fine motor skills are great (thanks Lego), his finger strength isn’t. We had great craic making monster pots yesterday evening and building bridges with the mála. Shout out for the art and craft co, I only ordered on Sunday night and got it yesterday.

App wise our lad loves teach your monster to read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement