Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Playoffs: Championship Sunday

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Name a receiver that played with Brady that went elsewhere and was as successful. I'll save you time, you won't find one.

As regards Brady the defense has nothing to do with his performances.

Yeah because patriots WRs are the unique in going to other teams and not having the same level of success.

It’s pointless trying to have a honest debate when you make a blanket statement like that about the defense. Not directly but of course the defense had something to do with his performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Seriously? I've had to read your post a couple if times to see if I missed some caveat.

Manning won a SB with the Colts and a SB with the Broncos.
    Well the QBs I listed was for a reason. It’s why I didn’t list manning. Or Aaron Rodgers or Eli manning or elway if we want to get broncos specific.

I know that. I watched both of them live.

I'm obviously missing something.

You said that Brady will become the first QB to win super bowl with more than one team... I'm pointing out that Peyton had done that already.

As I said, I'm missing something you're making a point about.

ELI Eagle Eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not defensive, I'm offensive. :D

We were the best, so good even the NFL didn't like it and tried every stupid idea they could come up with to try stop our success.
    Imagine banning Brady for four games for footballs that deflated in severely cold weather and it being shown that when the balls were reinflated halftime that he played awesome football in the second half.
    Imagine scientists proving that the weather was responsible for deflating the footballs and the NFL going out hiring the guys who found that passive smoking isn't dangerous to come to the conclusion that the patriots were responsible for deflating the footballs.

When I see stupid **** I'll call it.

Oh. God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Cards on the table I've soft spot for the Jets but would be far from a hardcore fan. Maybe because of this I've no towering hatred for the Patriots. To be honest I admire what they've achieved.

With regard to Tom Brady he is undoubtedly a great QB and you can certainly make a case for him being the GOAT. If I was a Patriots fan I would relish the Brady years and not be overly bothered about what's said about him on the internet or anonymous chat forums. It wont change his stats or achievements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah because patriots WRs are the unique in going to other teams and not having the same level of success.

It’s pointless trying to have a honest debate when you make a blanket statement like that about the defense. Not directly but of course the defense had something to do with his performance.

Plenty of WRs have went from franchise to franchise and been successful. With Tom Brady it hasn't happened though which suggests he got the very best out of them.
    I'm sure there are other great QB's that the same thing could be said about too.

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    Cards on the table I've soft spot for the Jets but would be far from a hardcore fan. Maybe because of this I've no towering hatred for the Patriots. To be honest I admire what they've achieved.

With regard to Tom Brady he is undoubtedly a great QB and you can certainly make a case for him being the GOAT. If I was a Patriots fan I would relish the Brady years and not be overly bothered about what's said about him on the internet or anonymous chat forums. It wont change his stats or achievements

Well I used to despise the Jets but not anymore. I've liked some of the players and coaches there.

Of course if the Jets ever become successful again and we have some of the stuff happen that went on in the late 90's then things could change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ShyMets wrote: »

I can't think of another fanbase in any sport that had such sustained incredible success and yet are so fragile about the team and players, to the point where at times they create an alternative reality to counter anything that isn't pure adulation. I suspect it has something to do with Boston's notorious small town mindset rubbing off on Irish fans through consuming their media. It would be an interesting psychological study.

As for WRs underperforming post Patriots, the same can be said for players at every other position. I presume Brady also gets the credit for the fact so many former Patriots' defensive players or other QBs that end up never reaching their previous heights after they leave the Patriots' set-up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I will say that WRs not doing as well elsewhere does show Brady is a fantastic QB, but I don't think anyone is disputing that. Better reads and more accurate throws = more catches and more yards

For example I can't think of a WR who experienced greater success outside of GB than when Rodgers was throwing them the ball. Sure even only this summer it was bekng thrown around that the Packers had arguably the worst pass catching group in the entire league once Adams was removed.

If he were to switch teams in the summer and be replaced by Jordan Love you could be sure just about all of their stats would fall down, as they have whenever he has been injured.

Claiming defenses have nothing to do with a team and qbs successes is however, just silly (and win/loss records as well as playoff runs are usually the main thing cited by patriots fans as to Brady's greatness, so they definitely do factor into it).

Lots of Patriots at other positions excelled with other teams after leaving the Patriots.
    Richard Seymour and Asante Samuel are two examples off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Claiming defenses have nothing to do with a team and qbs successes is however, just silly (and win/loss records as well as playoff runs are usually the main thing cited by patriots fans as to Brady's greatness, so they definitely do factor into it).

The stat thrown out this weekend that Goff has the 2nd most wins in the NFL since 2017 proves that point (despite how much tougher the NFCW has been over that period).

Most people believe the Rams had to pay to get rid of Goff, not that he is having some HOF caliber career. 99% of the time people understand defenses and coaching matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement