Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Have you proof of that?

No you don’t, because I didn’t. It’s childish at this stage

I made sure my sources would be credible.

Apologies. You're correct. It was yer man Ivan not yer man Ivor. My mistake.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I’m in A+E in one of Dublins hospitals right now. I’d rather not say which one, at least until I’m gone. And it’s nothing life threatening or majorly serious.

the time from check in to triage was less than 10 minutes!!!

Time from triage to seeing a doctor was less than 20 minutes!!

This hospital is dead. And the doctor admitted it. He said they are able to do all kinds of tests today because they are so quiet.

While ICU may be busy, it’s definitely fair to say that hospitals in general are dead.

You asked one doctor in one A&E and from that you have deduced it's fair to say that hospitals in general are dead.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    Apologies. You're correct. It was yer man Ivan not yer man Ivor. My mistake.

Ah yes, Sir Ivan Yates was a voice of reason.

I really enjoyed his show before he mysteriously disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Boggles wrote: »
    Nope, currently about 160 odd people on trolleys.

A lot of elective surgeries have been cancelled because of lack of ICU, post emergency care still continues all be it at a reduced rate to avoid crowding.

They have had to start shuffling ICU patients to other hospitals which is never ideal.

If any good comes out of this entire thing hopefully it's a review of how we maintain our ICU capacity in the future and increase what we currently have.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JRant wrote: »
    If any good comes out of this entire thing hopefully it's a review of how we maintain our ICU capacity in the future and increase what we currently have.

The review took place in 2010.

Wasn't acted on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

What have people planned for their weekend? Thinking of a trip to the beach with the dog for a walk. I need to plan my route to find a beach near a graveyard in case I'm pulled over.

Hopefully a few drinks with some friends Saturday night.

Life is too short for not living. Roll on the vaccines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I’m in A+E in one of Dublins hospitals right now. I’d rather not say which one, at least until I’m gone. And it’s nothing life threatening or majorly serious.

This hospital is dead. And the doctor admitted it. He said they are able to do all kinds of tests today because they are so quiet.

While ICU may be busy, it’s definitely fair to say that hospitals in general are dead.

There's a few major factors

1. They've closed so many "elective" procedures that aren't really elective. They will need to be done eventually and people will suffer from the delay.
    2. A lot of people avoid hospital for fear of picking up the virus.
    3. A&E are getting a lot of extra resources so people aren't hanging around cloggin up hospital and risking picking up the virus.

I do believe a lot of minor A&E treatments could be farmed out to a minor injuries clinic rather than A&E and I hope that something like that is learned from this whole thing.

There's a few major factors

1. They've closed so many "elective" procedures that aren't really elective. They will need to be done eventually and people will suffer from the delay.
    2. A lot of people avoid hospital for fear of picking up the virus.
    3. A&E are getting a lot of extra resources so people aren't hanging around cloggin up hospital and risking picking up the virus.

I do believe a lot of minor A&E treatments could be farmed out to a minor injuries clinic rather than A&E and I hope that something like that is learned from this whole thing.

I was in the minor injuries clinic in Santry with my partner a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely dead, at what would be a typically busy time of day in an emergency room. needed a load of stitches, and was in and out within half an hour, having just rocked up with no prior booking. We should certainly be making more use of them

The review took place in 2010.

Wasn't acted on.

That's even worse

New strains are scaring the shít out of European Leaders.

Talks of internal borders been closed.

Time to send a delegation up to Arlene and once and for all try and use the one natural advantage we have.

It would be criminal at this stage to at least not to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Time to send a delegation up to Arlene and once and for all try and use the one natural advantage we have.

The bad news is like an avalanche today:
    1. Variant causes higher mortality according to Boris Johnson
    2. Vaccine's may as much as 50% less effective against the South African strain which is now in the U.K. according to a leaked webinar from Matt Hancock
    3. Forget European travel for the foreseeable

At this point it even looks possible that the 'zero Covid' model is on the table. Have I woken up in an alternative reality?
    People idolising Australia despite Melbourne being in lockdown from July to November - despite their zero Covid policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Not for same EU leaders to stop immigration. This African strain can't be that bad if they're still bringing boatloads into Europe.

And they wonder why public buy in is gone. Time after time their actions betray their words.

Unless we do something with the borders and very soon at that we are going to get every new strain out there.

Unfortunately it's not just Arlene that's the problem. Our own government have no appetite for this fight. Easier to lock everyone down here and pretend 10's of thousands aren't crossing the border on a regular basis with no testing or quartile.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

That has been the case all year but unfortunately people just dont want to believe or hear it. You are better off just agreeing and saying yeah it's crazy, queues out the door.

I've actually spoke to friends who point blank refuse to believe it's quiet, so now I just say yeah it's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Looks like schools are not opening anytime soon, I made the decision for my son to repeat a year, hopefully the school agrees.
    It’s a shame and a massive let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Best wishes and hope all goes ok :)

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Are they not just panicking though?

Pfizer, Moderna and a few other pharma giants have pretty much confirmed vaccines are good against those strains and infections in the UK, Ireland etc are falling fast

I don't believe they are privy to more info than pharma giants, think its all scaremongering myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Itsaduck1 wrote: »

Pfizer, Moderna and a few other pharma giants have pretty much confirmed vaccines are good against those strains and infections in the UK, Ireland etc are falling fast

I don't believe they are privy to more info than pharma giants, think its all scaremongering myself

Boris' govt. deflecting. They've made a balls of it over there and are looking for a scapegoat.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Boris' govt. deflecting. They've made a balls of it over there and are looking for a scapegoat.

I don't know if I'd go that far, don't think Boris and other EU leaders could get internal data scientists, virologists and medical experts to go along with that deflecting, they are not gonna lie deliberately?

News out of Israel mass vaccinations and pharma giants are promising

Hard to read between the lines here

• Advertisement

At this point it even looks possible that the 'zero Covid' model is on the table. Have I woken up in an alternative reality?

Zero Covid is probably unattainable.

But...
    49% of incoming passengers fail to comply with the locator form

Whatever the absolute horse shít is needs to stop now.

Whether they are not is moot to the proposed strategy.

I'd rather have some protections in place for the next variant which may be angrier, the States is the perfect breeding ground the past 2 months given their level of infection, I wouldn't be surprised if the next one comes from there.

Zero Covid is probably unattainable.

But...

Whatever the absolute horse shít is needs to stop now.

Vaccines plus a large dollop of wing and a prayer are our only hope here unfortunately.

Whether they are not is moot to the proposed strategy.

I'd rather have some protections in place for the next variant which may be angrier, the States is the perfect breeding ground the past 2 months given their level of infection, I wouldn't be surprised if the next one comes from there.

Agree, its only a good thing closing/making air travel trickier, we should have done that when Lombardy was hit, but that's spilt milk under the bridge at this stage and we might as well learn from our mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah feck this doom and gloom. But not much we can do.

Think I’ll have a Valium sandwich with a couple of nice brandies for a snack later lol..

Agree, its only a good thing closing/making air travel trickier, we should have done that when Lombardy was hit, but that's spilt milk under the bridge at this stage and we might as well learn from our mistakes

Doesn't look like we are.
    Despite this, Mr Varadkar said a system of mandatory quarantine for incoming air and sea passengers would be “disproportionate” and “unworkable”.

Responding to questions from Social Democrats co-leader Catherine Murphy, Mr Varadkar said Ireland has 33,000 people arriving per week, with the vast majority of these people undertaking what he called “essential travel”.

Would love to see a break down of how essential those 33,000 journeys are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Society at the moment is grim, extremely grim
    I hate it

Doesn't look like we are.

Would love to see a break down of how essential those 33,000 journeys are.

Do we even know how many cross the border daily?

C__MC wrote: »
    Society at the moment is grim, extremely grim
    I hate it

Unfortunately it's going to stay grim for a number of months yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

JRant wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's going to stay grim for a number of months yet.

And you know that just how???

Because maybe it won't. Cases are falling and like in every surge they will eventually fall off. Vaccines are here and more are on the way.

Would it kill people to be even the tiniest bit optimistic! Or is doom and gloom a feature of the Irish DNA :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement