Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people genuinely believe we will be in exactly this place this time next year. Imagine if we were....

I am starting to believe that we may well need mass protests to get us out of this.

How long can ordinary lives live in this suspended reality, the adverse affects will soon if not already, out weight the level 5 lockdowns.

These level 5's in particular are very severe on people.

We will be one of the last nations to mobilize protests, I am sure of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Feel free to attend Connolly A+E if you want, it is dead.
    If you need an x ray or a scan, it will be done in no time. Blood tests and results as well. The corridors and shop are empty. The doctors and nurses were laughing and joking and in great form.

Maybe it’s different on the wards, I wasn’t admitted.

And frankly, I couldn’t give a f*ck what people choose to believe anyways. I could post video footage and some people would still doubt it.

Why are you swearing?. I am not saying you are lying. Your experience at one moment in time in a hospital is not and cannot be taken as evidence of the situation in all hospitals in Ireland.

It has already been stated several times that there is great fear among people going to hospital, which is undoubtedly having an impact on numbers. Similarly an empty A&E bed has no bearing at all on the number of patients in a hospital.

I have shown that hospitals are from empty. If people want to believe what you saw over the daily numbers released by hospitals, then all well and good.

Tork wrote: »
    You said it yourself. You weren't anywhere near the wards so you haven't got a clue that is going on in there. That's like me talking about visiting my doctor who shares a practice with a dentist. I saw no dental patients in the place so therefore there is no dentistry work going on.

Lol! I was in several areas of the hospital today. All dead.

But again, believe what you want. You obviously want to think the place is burning to the ground.

It’s not. Actually a great time to go if you want extra attention.

Why are you swearing?. I am not saying you are lying. Your experience at one moment in time in a hospital is not and cannot be taken as evidence of the situation in all hospitals in Ireland.

It has already been stated several times that there is great fear among people going to hospital, which is undoubtedly having an impact on numbers. Similarly an empty A&E bed has no bearing at all on the number of patients in a hospital.

I have shown that hospitals are from empty. If people want to believe what you saw over the daily numbers released by hospitals, then all well and good.

You seem to think I said that I didn’t.

I never said every hospital in the country is dead. I wasn’t in them all. Just the one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

So how do you know who was or wasn't in the hospital? Were you looking into the wards? I find it very hard to believe that you were free to wander the corridors of a hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think that now a proper benchmark for what constitutes a lockdown scenario has been set (thousands of cases and a hundred deaths a day) the government don't stand a chance with public compliance this summer. The restrictions we saw in place when we were reporting single digit cases really look like amateur hour now. Human beings are creatures of habit and need a reference point, when Covid was new and unknown it was quite natural to toe the line but as we gather information we will start to scale cases and deaths amongst ourselves with lockdown strictness, and I have to say with recent development I consider anything under quadruple digits to be as normal as we'll get with a virus this infectious.

This summer will be back to normal, at least on days with nice weather, and I daresay there is nothing anybody can do about it.

While ICU may be busy, it’s definitely fair to say that hospitals in general are dead.

What did you mean by that sentence then?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

But again, believe what you want. You obviously want to think the place is burning to the ground.

Which areas specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think that now a proper benchmark for what constitutes a lockdown scenario has been set (thousands of cases and a hundred deaths a day) the government don't stand a chance with public compliance this summer. The restrictions we saw in place when we were reporting single digit cases really look like amateur hour now. Human beings are creatures of habit and need a reference point, when Covid was new and unknown it was quite natural to toe the line but as we gather information we will start to scale cases and deaths amongst ourselves with lockdown strictness, and I have to say with recent development I consider anything under quadruple digits to be as normal as we'll get with a virus this infectious.

This summer will be back to normal, at least on days with nice weather, and I daresay there is nothing anybody can do about it.

We have had two serious surges over the last year....lockdowns deflect them at best, they don't make them go away.

That is what we need to prepare for, we will see two more surges over the next 12 months.

What we did last summer was madness...it's time our politicians started publicly stating this or the bureaucrats will do the same thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Do you think in your opinion they were under any pressure from Covid patients today in that hospital ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Or are the NPHET briefings Arghus is tuning in to daily (which is concerning in itself lol) are full of crap?
    Discuss the topic, not other users

Hahaha this is hilarious lads!!!

What, do you want the names of the doctors that treated me today as well?

I was in A+E, had X Rays done, had scans done and was in several of the general corridors.

The other poster was right, I should just pretend the place was burning to the ground and healthcare workers were passed out with stress.

I was in A+E, had X Rays done, had scans done and was in several of the general corridors.

The other poster was right, I should just pretend the place was burning to the ground and healthcare workers were passed out with stress.

Firstly, x-rays are scheduled so patients aren't lying on beds or in queues in wheelchairs waiting for procedures. Patients have a slot at which time to get them done, even more so now in light of covid.

Patients are not wandering around the hospital the way they used to. They are encouraged to stay in their wards as much as possible.

No visitors policy has had a major impact on the usual flow of people through general areas.

You shouldn't have to pretend anything. Although I am guessing your annoyance is that people are questioning your sweeping generalised statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Feel free to attend Connolly A+E if you want, it is dead.
    If you need an x ray or a scan, it will be done in no time. Blood tests and results as well. The corridors and shop are empty. The doctors and nurses were laughing and joking and in great form.

Maybe it’s different on the wards, I wasn’t admitted.

And frankly, I couldn’t give a f*ck what people choose to believe anyways. I could post video footage and some people would still doubt it.

My sister had a baby last week. I asked her was the hospital mad busy beaciase thats what local politicians were saying. She said the corridors down the to ward were empty with empty rooms and beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Prostate, was it? :)

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    My sister had a baby last week. I asked her was the hospital mad busy beaciase thats what local politicians were saying. She said the corridors down the to ward were empty with empty rooms and beds.

I'd believe that. Where I work maternity is the one ward that will have empty beds at any given time because patients that aren't pregnant arent on them, ever. These wards are staffed purely by midwives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Firstly, x-rays are scheduled so patients aren't lying on beds or in queues in wheelchairs waiting for procedures. Patients have a slot at which time to get them done, even more so now in light of covid.

Patients are not wandering around the hospital the way they used to. They are encouraged to stay in their wards as much as possible.

No visitors policy has had a major impact on the usual flow of people through general areas.

You shouldn't have to pretend anything. Although I am guessing your annoyance is that people are questioning your sweeping generalised statements.

The thing is though, people are being fined for exercising in the Wicklow mountains because allegedly the hospital system is at capacity despite cancelling non essential procedures.

And people are accepting those fines and foregoing their democratic rights on the basis that hospitals are now full

But it’s just not the case

I was in Connolly hospital in Blanch. The place was dead. I got into triage in under 10 mins. Another 10 mins and I was seeing a doctor. I got x rays and didn’t have to wait as there was nobody waiting on one. The shop was empty in the hospital. The car park was under 50% full. The doctor told me they had time to test everything as it’s so quiet.

A woman did tell me that the colonoscopy department is closed though. So possibly some areas are affected.

I’m not sure how you are going to check? Will you phone the hospital and ask? Or drop in for a look around?

Hope you ok Jack.x

None of the other virtue signallers seem to give a damn about your condition

Hope you ok Jack.x

None of the other virtue signallers seem to give a damn about your condition

Back home now and doing good! Thanks

I actually regret mentioning it at all now.
    I thought it might be interesting to give a persona account of what it was like for me in one of Dublins hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'd believe that. Where I work maternity is the one ward that will have empty beds at any given time because patients that aren't pregnant arent on them, ever. These wards are staffed purely by midwives.

Makes sense

• Advertisement

The thing is though, people are being fined for exercising in the Wicklow mountains because allegedly the hospital system is at capacity despite cancelling non essential procedures.

And people are accepting those fines and foregoing their democratic rights on the basis that hospitals are now full

No they are accepting them on the basis that critical care beds including ICU are close to or already at full capacity. Even if taken at face value none of the claims made here today regarding lack of overcrowded A&E, lack of footfall in corridors etc etc disprove that.

Back home now and doing good! Thanks

I actually regret mentioning it at all now.
    I thought it might be interesting to give a persona account of what it was like for me in one of Dublins hospitals.

Doesn’t sit well I’m afraid.

I think eventually we need to know why a disease that discriminates against the elderly has caused Europe’s youngest nation to become the most suppressed for almost a year?

Something has to give

ICU capacity or general beds? The bed figures are there for all to see. They have been released daily for ages. You can see them on the main covid thread. It is interesting to see as it shows the rise or decrease in bed availability can be quite different from one day to the next.

Some hospitals are at or close to capacity at the moment, others arent. It's the ICU beds that seems to be the main problem. There is currently no ICU beds in quite a few of them.

I suppose by full do you mean no hospital bed in any hospital across the country? Thankfully only two are at full capacity, well Kilkenny only has 2 available and one has none, but most are 80% to 90% full looking at the figures. The question is without lockdown would they all be at 100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I am starting to believe that we may well need mass protests to get us out of this.

How long can ordinary lives live in this suspended reality, the adverse affects will soon if not already, out weight the level 5 lockdowns.

These level 5's in particular are very severe on people.

We will be one of the last nations to mobilize protests, I am sure of that!!

We definitely have to be in the "Cure is worse than the disease itself" stage when it comes to this virus. People's lives have been ruined to the degree that they probably wish the virus claimed them.

ICU capacity or general beds? The bed figures are there for all to see. They have been released daily for ages. You can see them on the main covid thread. It is interesting to see as it shows the rise or decrease in bed availability can be quite different from one day to the next.

Some hospitals are at or close to capacity at the moment, others arent. It's the ICU beds that seems to be the main problem. There is currently no ICU beds in quite a few of them.

I suppose by full do you mean no hospital bed in any hospital across the country? Thankfully only two are at full capacity, well Kilkenny only has 2 available and one has none, but most are 80% to 90% full looking at the figures. The question is without lockdown would they all be at 100%?

Obviously they would be but good luck in getting a certain cohort here to admit that.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    We definitely have to be in the "Cure is worse than the disease itself" stage when it comes to this virus. People's lives have been ruined to the degree that they probably wish the virus claimed them.

The cure was worse than the disease as soon as the cure meant implementation of measures never seen before since the dawn of time.

Solitary confinement is a form of punishment in jail.

If basic mitigation measures like social distancing and mask wearing could combat this disease the cure would be worthwhile.

When we withdrew kids from school the writing was on the wall for irrecoverable damage

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Makes sense

Also, in order to protect babies and the mums they will never put "sick" people on a ward with them so those beds will remain empty. It's too risky. At least some happy news for your sister during this nightmare:)

The cure was worse than the disease as soon as the cure meant implementation of measures never seen before since the dawn of time.

Solitary confinement is a form of punishment in jail.

If basic mitigation measures like social distancing and mask wearing could combat this disease the cure would be worthwhile.

When we withdrew kids from school the writing was on the wall for irrecoverable damage

You do love to lay on the hyperbole with a shovel don`t you? "Implementation of measures never seen before since the dawn of time".FFS:rolleyes:
    No doubt the usual suspects will lap it up though.

You do love to lay on the hyperbole with a shovel don`t you? "Implementation of measures never seen before since the dawn of time".FFS:rolleyes:
    No doubt the usual suspects will lap it up though.

I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

allegedly the hospital system is at capacity despite cancelling non essential procedures.

And you're drawing this conclusion on the basis of your experience as an outpatient at a single hospital on a single day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement