Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say such a thing

Have we had a pandemic like this in Ireland in the modern age? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Have we had a pandemic like this in Ireland in the modern age? Nope.

2018 had more deaths than 2020

2018 had more deaths than 2020

I'm talking about a pandemic that spreads disease through contact. Without lockdowns deaths rates would be much higher. I know you dont believe that, and that's ok. Many do believe it and it's why we are remaining in lockdown

I'm talking about a pandemic that spreads disease through contact. Without lockdowns deaths rates would be much higher. I know you dont believe that, and that's ok. Many do believe it and it's why we are remaining in lockdown

The fact Sweden didn’t implement mitigation measures is quantifiable proof that lockdowns aren’t necessary.

A significant number don’t understand the mechanics behind the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

So why are Sweden bringing in restrictions now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Back home now and doing good! Thanks

I actually regret mentioning it at all now.
    I thought it might be interesting to give a persona account of what it was like for me in one of Dublins hospitals.

Yeah you shouldn’t mention anything like that, you’ll bitterly disappoint the doomsdayers and covid junkies!

Could you edit post and liken it to a war time battlefield, that’d do nicely

TallyRand wrote: »
    Yeah you shouldn’t mention anything like that, you’ll bitterly disappoint the doomsdayers and covid junkies!

Could you edit post and liken it to a war time battlefield, that’d do nicely

If revealing factual figures to prove a point makes me a covid junkie, I'll happily take the title. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say such a thing

I am quite sure that is what you want people to believe even if it is grossly over exaggerated. Anyway checking out of this thread for the night. I will leave you with your "beliefs".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The fact Sweden didn’t implement mitigation measures

None at all? Life went on exactly as normal?

Tork wrote: »

Political pressure? Most lockdowns are clearly politically driven measures....no minister wants to be door stepped by someone shouting “you killed me granny”.

Anyone who doesn’t believe lockdowns are a politically construct is extremely naive. Swedish politicians
    just feeling the pressure!

Let me ask you, why are Sweden comfortably mid table on the death rates? Please answer without any whataboutery

• Advertisement

If revealing factual figures to prove a point makes me a covid junkie, I'll happily take the title. Thanks :)

Is it a fact that covid has a 99.7% recovery rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

TallyRand wrote: »
    Political pressure? Most lockdowns are clearly politically driven measures....no minister wants to be door stepped by someone shouting “you killed me granny”.

Anyone who doesn’t believe lockdowns are a politically construct is extremely naive. Swedish politicians
    just feeling the pressure!

Let me ask you, why are Sweden comfortably mid table on the death rates? Please answer without any whataboutery

Now they might be having a referendum to strip Govt of their emergency powers to continue imposing them.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Now they might be having a referendum to strip Govt of their emergency powers to continue imposing them.

We’ll see

Still weird how Sweden aren’t head and shoulders outlier topping the death charts? How is that possible do you think?

Tork wrote: »

What restrictions are Sweden mandating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Surprised they are not lifting the 5km to 20km or something to give those that comply a breather. It's going to be another long couple of months for some, huge damage being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Surprised they are not lifting the 5km to 20km or something to give those that comply a breather. It's going to be another long couple of months for some, huge damage being done.

Just do what anyone with an ounce of sense is doing and ignore the travel restrictions. I'm sure it's more difficult if you live in a town or city but where I live everyone is ignoring it. They might as well implement a 100k limit for all the good it's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just do what anyone who is an entitled cünt is doing and ignore the travel restrictions.

Fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Fyp

Ha, hope that made you feel better.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just do what anyone with an ounce of sense is doing and ignore the travel restrictions. I'm sure it's more difficult if you live in a town or city but where I live everyone is ignoring it. They might as well implement a 100k limit for all the good it's doing.

Not talking about myself ha ha! Living in a city and a lot will not go a metre beyond 5km out of fear, imagine another month of that. It's not their fault, they are afraid!!

Fyp

But if they break the 5km alone and do not enter a shop or anything outside the 5km is it really that entitled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

SusieBlue wrote: »
    And sitting here alone on a cold, wet January night, after spending yet another entire week in my own company, that seems really far away and is a really depressing notion.
    People may meet with people from one other household in outdoor settings when taking exercise.
    You can form a support bubble with another household if you live alone

The restrictions cater for people in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    The restrictions cater for people in your situation.

At least they stopped with the parties anyway.

Still no need to needlessly punish themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Dublin has been in an extreme, do not leave the county restriction since September, except for a couple weeks at Christmas. I feel we are at breaking point given the travel limits on the one and a half million people in Dublin being lockdowned for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

JRant wrote: »
    Do we even know how many cross the border daily?

At least one. Me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Arghus wrote: »
    Hospitals certainly aren't empty.

There's 28 available ICU beds in the entire country at the moment. 12 ICU's have none whatsoever, including my local hospital. .

Ask a nurse or doctor who works in a hospital - ICU is always full or almost full.
    It's not a reasonable measure to press the panic button

We need to shut the border immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

paw patrol wrote: »
    Ask a nurse or doctor who works in a hospital - ICU is always full or almost full.
    It's not a reasonable measure to press the panic button

ICUs are not almost full at surge capacity in normal times, they are also strategically managed to allow elective surgery.

Add in staffing issues and the length of stay of a Covid patient in ICU is almost 3 times a patient without Covid and you start to understand the gravity of the situation.

Your remedial understanding of the actual situation is what's not reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But if they break the 5km alone and do not enter a shop or anything outside the 5km is it really that entitled?

We wouldn't need any 5km if people didn't perpetually go looking for sneaky ways around rules and taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We need to shut the border immediately

Too politically charged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

We wouldn't need any 5km if people didn't perpetually go looking for sneaky ways around rules and taking the piss.

What more taking the piss can be done at 20km as opposed to 5km?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement