Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

We wouldn't need any 5km if people didn't perpetually go looking for sneaky ways around rules and taking the piss.

Makes no sense. If we didn't have a 5km 99pc of people wouldn't take the piss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Makes no sense. If we didn't have a 5km 99pc of people wouldn't take the piss!!

Exactly. This no click and collect malarkey is a joke also. Ordered new runners today and have to wait a week for them even though I could collect them this morning, within my 5k, if there were click and collect.!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

paw patrol wrote: »
    Ask a nurse or doctor who works in a hospital - ICU is always full or almost full.
    It's not a reasonable measure to press the panic button

That's not true. It really isn't. Most ICU wards are not at capacity on an ongoing basis. Patients also would not generally occupy a bed for the length of time a covid patient being ventilated in ICU does.

Add to this 13 hospitals, who at last count were at ICU capacity. Patients in need of critical care can't be transferred to another hospital if they are also at capacity.

It's a very big concern for those currently in hospital. Should they arrest and need ICU care, there is no bed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Exactly. This no click and collect malarkey is a joke also. Ordered new runners today and have to wait a week for them even though I could collect them this morning, within my 5k, if there were click and collect.!

1st world problem if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

1st world problem if ever there was one.

Shouldn’t be a problem, shoes are pretty essential in most people’s world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

zerosugarbuzz, two week forum ban for further breach of your threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Shouldn’t be a problem, shoes are pretty essential in most people’s world.

I know some old people who as children walked miles to school and back everyday in their bare feet. Didn`t seem to do them any harm.

I know some old people who as children walked miles to school and back everyday in their bare feet. Didn`t seem to do them any harm.

And we are in lockdown. I'd be more concerned if my wifi went :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

AstraZeneca vaccine which was supposed to be our saviour is now going to be in short supply. Apparently 60% down. Add this in with Pfizer slowing down their production it all makes for very grim reading. J&J have gone very quiet too.

The vaccine was supposed to be our light at the end of the tunnel, that light is starting to fade.

We now have three variants, Uk, SA and Brazil. They were all imported here, thousands of Brazilians arrived here in the last month so it's just a matter of time before that is detected.

I was never a supporter of shutting our borders completely but I've changed my mind. Close them now. Give a date for closure and no one in or out after that date.

The EU is failing us, we need to take control of our own affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Electronic cigarette shops are all shut now as deemed “non essential”. How many people are now going back to regular cigarettes as a result of these closures. That’s a massive increase in lung cancers for the future. Good job NPHET!

I’ve elderly family in the country side (on a very busy road) who regularly walked safely 3-4kms daily in a park about 12kms away. The auntie who had early stage arthritis 15 years ago was keeping the condition at bay with this regular exercise. She’s too frightened to break the 5km . She’s on a downward spiral physically over not getting this exercise. Great work NPHET. !

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    Electronic cigarette shops are all shut now as deemed “non essential”. How many people are now going back to regular cigarettes as a result of these closures. That’s a massive increase in lung cancers for the future. Good job NPHET!

I’ve elderly family in the country side (on a very busy road) who regularly walked safely 3-4kms daily in a park about 12kms away. The auntie who had early stage arthritis 15 years ago was keeping the condition at bay with this regular exercise. She’s too frightened to break the 5km . She’s on a downward spiral physically over not getting this exercise. Great work NPHET. !

Smoking is a choice. If you choose to smoke, and we are all well aware of the many diseases that smoking causes, it is on you and no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

All Vape shops near me are open, they were the first ones in the country offering PPE given their established supply chains.

Most of the local petrol stations have vaping products, as do the discount stores.

Stretch McStretch with that nonsense.

Sure you do. :rolleyes:

Smoking is a choice. If you choose to smoke, and we are all well aware of the many diseases that smoking causes, it is on you and no one else.

Wow. If there was ever an example of a straw man fallacy this response is it right here.

Boggles wrote: »
    All Vape shops near me are open, they were the first ones in the country offering PPE given their established supply chains.

Most of the local petrol stations have vaping products, as do the discount stores.

Stretch McStretch with that nonsense.

Sure you do. :rolleyes:

They are all closed in my area.
    Petrol stations stock are useless. No variety.

I’m not sure if you’ve just called me a liar about my aunties condition or you are denying that arthritis is a condition that effects the elderly. Very strange.

Wow. If there was ever an example of a straw man fallacy this response is it right here.

Call it want you want. You take it up and get sick it's no one's fault but your own.

Blaming someone else for taking up smoking again is utterly ridiculous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Lundstram wrote: »
    AstraZeneca vaccine which was supposed to be our saviour is now going to be in short supply. Apparently 60% down. Add this in with Pfizer slowing down their production it all makes for very grim reading. J&J have gone very quiet too.

The vaccine was supposed to be our light at the end of the tunnel, that light is starting to fade.

We now have three variants, Uk, SA and Brazil. They were all imported here, thousands of Brazilians arrived here in the last month so it's just a matter of time before that is detected.

I was never a supporter of shutting our borders completely but I've changed my mind. Close them now. Give a date for closure and no one in or out after that date.

And exactly how do you expect that to be enforced along the NI border? It didn`t happen when the British army had a presence in the north so why do you expect it to be any different any time in the future?

They are all closed in my area.
    Petrol stations stock are useless. No variety.

I’m not sure if you’ve just called me a liar about my aunties condition or you are denying that arthritis is a condition that effects the elderly. Very strange.

Not at. The contrarian detail you gave was spot on.

It's just I have 2 aunts who were walking way too much and now their arthritis is almost gone. Thank you NPHET.

They are still walking to the vape shop though.

You all ready linked to that paper in your previous paper dump, if you actually read what you were dumping you'd know that.

As it is not conclusive, it's unlikely to make any country do a sudden U-turn any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

And exactly how do you expect that to be enforced along the NI border? It didn`t happen when the British army had a presence in the north so why do you expect it to be any different any time in the future?

The same way it was done during the foot and mouth crisis? It’s not some bizarre foreign concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

More hyperbole from you.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/want-to-know-what-a-hard-border-looks-like-the-2001-foot-and-mouth-crisis-holds-the-key-37824268.html

Quote from that article:
    However, the point is that the Government in the Republic acted immediately to protect its economy, to secure its side of the border with police and troops and complained that authorities in the north were too lax on their own border controls.

Dublin acted in its national interest without hesitation and no one thought that it should do otherwise.

20 years later, the national interest is not as important. Too afraid to upset the Brits.

You all ready linked to that paper in your previous paper dump, if you actually read what you were dumping you'd know that.

The article does a decent job of making the study's findings plain. More digestible to many than the study itself. It may reach the reachable more easily.

The article does a decent job of making the study's findings plain. More digestible to many than the study itself. It may reach the reachable more easily.

Did you read the article?

It basically is a copy and paste of their limited "findings" and limitations.

It then goes on to cite 2 further papers that completely refutes the herd immunity peddlers limited nonsense.

As it is not conclusive, it's unlikely to make any country do a sudden U-turn any time soon.

True. But tragic, in the absence of any conclusive proof that lockdowns do work to mitigate the spread of SARS-CoV-2 over and above less restrictive voluntary measures.

The same way it was done during the foot and mouth crisis? It’s not some bizarre foreign concept.

You are equating 2 completely different things.

Human traffic on the border was never stopped, the security was to check for contraband and to stop smuggling.

Meat and Dairy products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

People weren't stopped from crossing the border during foot and mouth.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Lundstram wrote: »

I would still not rule out that one or more types of vaccines will be pulled out of market in 3-6 month time. This may add further to unfeasibility of this lockdown-until-vaccine franchise.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Of course there is, the authors chose not to do a more comparable study because that would not fit their false narrative.

As they freely admit the glaring limitation of their study is.
    However, the researchers also acknowledged that the study had limitations, and noted that "cross-country comparisons are difficult," since nations may have different rules, cultures, and relationships between their government and citizenry.

So maybe don't try and compare Sweden with Iran or South Korea with the USA.

Why not compare Sweden with you know the most comparable, their neighbors.

Why do you think they didn't do that?

• Advertisement

Did you read the article?

It basically is a copy and paste of their limited "findings" and limitations.

It then goes on to cite 2 further papers that completely refutes the herd immunity peddlers limited nonsense.

Herd immunity, whether through vaccination or through infection, is the only way through this pandemic.

The Imperial study, from June 2020—a mere few months into the current pandemic—found that "Large-scale lockdowns and other non-pharmaceutical interventions in Europe have been successful in reducing the transmission levels of SARS-CoV-2".

The study noted that: The use of pooled data and the short time separation between subsequent non-pharmaceutical interventions makes it difficult to determine the effect of individual sanctions on the suppression of the COVID-19 epidemic.

In January 2021, with an additional 6 months of data and the realisation that countries that used voluntary NPIs that fell short of lockdowns did not fare worse (to the tune of millions of deaths, as the Imperial study, if correct, would predict), other conclusions are being drawn and the efficacy of lockdowns, in particular, is being questioned.

In other words, as time goes on and more data becomes available, the balance of evidence shifts, and conclusions are subject to change. I'm not sure what you find so personally offensive about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement