Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Graham wrote: »
    I don't think there was any ambiguity around my post.

Many European countries have restrictions on movement.

We also went very rapidly into some of the highest numbers in the EU, a strong response was entirely appropriate.

A strong response was appropriate, absolutely. At this point though we've been under level 5 restrictions for 6 weeks. We were told when first going into lockdown last year that people could only take those restrictions for a short period of time. The restrictions at the moment aren't quite as harsh, but there's still going to be a point where people reach their limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A strong response was appropriate, absolutely. At this point though we've been under level 5 restrictions for 6 weeks. We were told when first going into lockdown last year that people could only take those restrictions for a short period of time. The restrictions at the moment aren't quite as harsh, but there's still going to be a point where people reach their limit.

They are reaching it now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I agree with your sentiment, but...

Every level of restrictions has a plateau. Even level 5. I dont think we will see numbers that low again. And if we do its because of seasonality or vaccinations or whatever but not because of extended lockdowns.

And then there is simple fatigue. I think we've already reached the point or are very close to it where lockdown reaches the point of diminishing returns. There is only so much lockdown you can do before people take things into their own hands. People are begiining to just have enough. I know I do.

Have to agree with this. Definitely noting a change in attitudes in my area lately, specifically the last couple of weeks. In my workplace, I feel the majority now have had enough, trying to get by and pay the bills whilst on overbearing pay cuts while their partners may have lost their jobs either permanently or until the government decides they can open up again. I feel that people are somewhat willing to put up with social distancing to a point and masks, but their appetite for most other restrictions is dwindling fast. It feels never-ending tbh, and I really do fear that the worst is yet to come as regards damage to our economy and our collective mental health. My own head is wrecked tbh, but I've become an expert at hiding it from my wife. I'm sure there are those who are in a way worse situation, and I really do sympathise with them. I'll never ever take things for granted ever again.

Correct, the flu is not eradicated, it will be back.

Covid is the same, it can't be eradicated, it will be back.

Zero Covid is pure anti science!!!

No need for the exclamation mark, neither the government, nphet or me for that matter are proposing zero Covid. Covid will come back as an endemic virus which due to a combination of residual immunity due to previous infection or vaccines will resemble a bad cold at worst in all but a tiny percentage. To get there on the infection only route would take at least a year or two longer unless we let it rip, and result in approximately 25-30million deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So quote me those countries that are currently vilifying travel within the EU to the extent that Ireland is? And what other EU countries have introduced mandatory quarantine?

Christ, nevermind travellers being vilified in other European countries. Remember back last summer when people were kicking up a stink over dirty Dubs travelling to their areas. Some places even refused to serve people from outside btheor local area or county.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

C__MC wrote: »
    The amount of livelihoods and businesses destroyed in 2-3 years will be utterly devastating ,
    Irish public have no idea what’s coming down the line.

it might sound a bit dramatic but i can imagine the whole lockdown topic being a bit like public support for the iraq war in the uk where people who were gung ho for it at the time now say they were against it. and before anyone tries twisting my words to say I'm comparing covid to the iraq war im not im comparing the way public sentiment can change when hindsight kicks in and the consequences for actions start to become apparent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No need for the exclamation mark, neither the government, nphet or me for that matter are proposing zero Covid. Covid will come back as an endemic virus which due to a combination of residual immunity due to previous infection or vaccines will resemble a bad cold at worst in all but a tiny percentage. To get there on the infection only route would take at least a year or two longer unless we let it rip, and result in approximately 25-30million deaths

It's funny...it's not ripping in Florida where they are "letting it rip"...or other parts of the world where they have gone down the light restrictions route, the opposite to the route we took!

Zero Covid has been pushed by experts and politicians in the last week or so, but locking us down until case numbers (case numbers that we will be chasing, not people who turn up sick in a doctors surgery) drop to a trickle at this time of the year is the next step back from Zero Covid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So quote me those countries that are currently vilifying travel within the EU to the extent that Ireland is? And what other EU countries have introduced mandatory quarantine?

Nobody here is vilifying travel.

Try again

ypres5 wrote: »
    it might sound a bit dramatic but i can imagine the whole lockdown topic being a bit like public support for the iraq war in the uk where people who were gung ho for it at the time now say they were against it. and before anyone tries twisting my words to say I'm comparing covid to the iraq war im not im comparing the way public sentiment can change when hindsight kicks in and the consequences for actions start to become apparent

It's actually a great example of media manipulation...we all remember the WMD nonsense that was shoved down our news programs...we now know it was utter rubbish.

I think you are spot on, in years to come, when the dust settles on this madness and the damage we have done is no longer possible to deny...

When the media is in hyper emotive mode, it's normally b##llocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's funny...it's not ripping in Florida where they are "letting it rip"

Florida
    March 15 – Jan. 30
    Reported Covid-19 Death 26,356
    Total Excess Death 32,600

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They really can't see it, they don't recognize that it is poor leadership pure and simple that has got us here....we never needed to go as strict as we did.

That's your opinion. Others have a different opinion.

The Irish public in poll after poll overwhelmingly supported and continue to support the restrictions as needed.

Graham wrote: »
    Florida
    March 15 – Jan. 30
    Reported Covid-19 Death 26,356
    Total Excess Death 32,600

Can you break down what happened before they lifted restrictions in Sept and what happened after? Compare it with California for some context please?

Because you know, context matters!

It's funny...it's not ripping in Florida where they are "letting it rip"...or other parts of the world where they have gone down the light restrictions route, the opposite to the route we took!

Zero Covid has been pushed by experts and politicians in the last week or so, but locking us down until case numbers (case numbers that we will be chasing, not people who turn up sick in a doctors surgery) drop to a trickle at this time of the year is the next step back from Zero Covid.

Florida have not “Let it rip” but have gone done alight touch route that has resulted in 2x our death rate. Their excess deaths for 2020 were also another 25% higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

It's actually a great example of media manipulation...we all remember the WMD nonsense that was shoved down our news programs...we now know it was utter rubbish.

I think you are spot on, in years to come, when the dust settles on this madness and the damage we have done is no longer possible to deny...

what was it again with Iraq? saddam could hit london with chemical weapons in 40 minutes? the media don't deserve anyone's trust after that betrayal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No hair salons until June probably. Mother of god.

He said: “We’ve got to take it in phases, we can not project the full year out, it would be dishonest to try and do that with Covid-19.

“That said, we understand where personal services come in as a sector and that’s something we’d like to be looking at some stage but we do want to get vaccinations done.

“So I think we’ll be looking at all that sometime towards the end of the second quarter, if not before it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Forum ban lifted. Thanks to the few sane voices on here who haven’t lost their mind about this virus and appreciate the damage being done by the ‘cure’. Proportionate response gone out the window, now just a game of politics and fools are falling for it. The Irish people have let themselves down again, shaming, guilting and bending over to the establishment, christ have we learnt nothing.

Tony's really getting his way now isn't he?

You can see the dynamic, he blames the Government for "opening" up at Christmas...the Government are rudderless anyway so they all agree to never open up again for as long as humanely possible...we will all do what Tony tells us to do!!!

Morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The shambles rolls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Well actually have a longer lockdown than the slow reopening we did last year despite people being vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The reality is that NPHET will always be bloody concerned. The govt. need to take hold of the reins and show some proper leadership, accountability and give the vast majority of people in this nation some hope.

I do have a fear that the actual number of people saved with this current lockdown could pale in comparison to the numbers we will sadly lose or severely impact into the future (missed cancers, loneliness as a health risk, suicide, financial ruin, missed education, anxiety and social issues with children etc.).

Not to mention also clocking up massive debts and having a destroyed economy as a nice little bonus for our kids to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The response will change when the virus is under control. Until then people will continue getting ill and sadly dying.

That is why the restrictions are there.

There is no big conspiracy against anyone. The notion that leaders are intentionally trying to make lives difficulty is paranoia of the highest order and it's something that concerns me seeing it regurgitated on social media by so many.

When control of the spread of the virus is firmly re-established restrictions will ease but we can't be complacent.

Except the narrative that it was being shoved down people’s throats by the media is not true. Large parts of the media questioned the Iraq war justification relentlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

The re-opening plan will be the exact same as the first one that was introduced to us last April, only the dates will be amended slightly so it doesn’t look so obvious it’s a copy&paste job, and despite the fact we are starting from a lot earlier from last years peak.

If there weren’t so many impacted households in the country in serious peril it would be laughable - the government aren’t even thinking “inside the box” at this stage; they are beyond reality.

No way the general public will stay onside until May. Absolutely no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pconn062 wrote: »
    The shambles rolls on.

yeah and then were not been told what possible dates some services/industries will open

This is crazy and should not be accepted but there's no way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The re-opening plan will be the exact same as the first one that was introduced to us last April, only the dates will be amended slightly so it doesn’t look so obvious it’s a copy&paste job, and despite the fact we are starting from a lot earlier from last years peak.

If there weren’t so many impacted households in the country in serious peril it would be laughable - the government aren’t even thinking “inside the box” at this stage; they are beyond reality.

No way the general public will stay onside until May. Absolutely no way.

Yep - dead right. Leo needs to go back and check with his focus groups what the word on the street is.

Florida have not “Let it rip” but have gone done alight touch route that has resulted in 2x our death rate. Their excess deaths for 2020 were also another 25% higher

Florida also has a population that skews old, and even then has numbers comparable with California, which had some of the harshest lockdown measures in the USA.

• Advertisement

The response will change when the virus is under control. Until then people will continue getting ill and sadly dying.

That is why the restrictions are there.

There is no big conspiracy against anyone. The notion that leaders are intentionally trying to make lives difficulty is paranoia of the highest order and it's something that concerns me seeing it regurgitated on social media by so many.

When control of the spread of the virus is firmly re-established restrictions will ease but we can't be complacent.

When is that going to be? How many jobs will be lost in the meantime? How many medical screenings and appointments will be missed? How many persons will end up with serious mental health issues? And if this is a seasonal virus are you happy to go through this ****e again next winter??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement