Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

RobitTV wrote: »
    Mirror Exclusive: Nine more weeks of lockdown on the cards

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1362519182374547458

lol.

Absolute cowboys, doom and gloom central.

Cowards releasing stuff like that late in the evening.

That's enough for me. Off to see family on the weekend.

This essentially is the State refusing to accept that the virus is seasonal.

This is the biggest, most monumental gamble FF and FG and The Greens have ever embarked on and I doubt they realize it....people have had enough and are right to have had enough, this is the ego of one man driving this, Tony Houlihan....he has been a problem form the very start.

You still don’t get that the route to a virus becoming seasonal is through mass exposure/ vaccination. It’s how all the significant seasonal respiratory infections became seasonal. Spanish Flu, Hong Kong Flu, the 4 other human corona viruses, all required an inherent immunity to retreat to seasonal variants. Most catch them as a child when at lower risk and retain a level of resistance for life. Covid is on that route. We are accelerating that process through vaccination. Waiting a few weeks for the vaccination programme to start to have a impact is not outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You know the same thing has been said every single month in relation to some manufactured date on here since the start

This country can't open up with 100's of cases per day. It would be a greater and more costly error than Christmas.

We can if the north does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Graham wrote: »
    Nobody here is vilifying travel.

Try again

There are literally Gardai sitting in the airport waiting to fine/arrest people. But it’s not vilified haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Holohan and the government are really trying to crush/destroy people mentally

They are doing a great job of that , yet no one is questioning what they should be doing , like rolling out the vaccine effectivly like our neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

MEhole Martin - Ireland’s greatest ever COWARD.

Stheno wrote: »
    Where does that state that Pfizer have publicly stated that second doses can be delayed?

I misread it. The letter is from scientists who used Pfizer data, not direct from Pfizer. Post edited for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Leaking this **** at 11pm at night just goes to show they’ve no idea of the mental fragility of the nation. People are hanging on by a thread as it is and have to hear of this crap before they go to bed. They’re completely out of touch in every single aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

Is there any way that people can stand against this extension of lockdown? I find it so bizzare that there is no opposition to this. (Except for the ones who deny the existence of Covid-19 altogether). Where can people who want some level of normality back go to have their voices heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

This Government has to go. We need an election in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Fu**ck em, i'm done with restrictions. The government have actually broken me.

Ive saved enough over the last year working from home so I dont give a flying feck if i get multiple hundred euro fines. They can shove it you know where.

Will go for a nice drive now the weekend and maybe to the beach, some mountain biking and hil walking as well.

Will have a few mates over for cans as well.

I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You still don’t get that the route to a virus becoming seasonal is through mass exposure/ vaccination. It’s how all the significant seasonal respiratory infections became seasonal. Spanish Flu, Hong Kong Flu, the 4 other human corona viruses, all required an inherent immunity to retreat to seasonal variants. Most catch them as a child when at lower risk and retain a level of resistance for life. Covid is on that route. We are accelerating that process through vaccination. Waiting a few weeks for the vaccination programme to start to have a impact is not outrageous.

Stop thinking of the virus as seasonal for one second...it's clear you have consumed media that can't make you think straight.

What is seasonal is the collective immune system, which is much weaker in winter months....if you actually still believe that level 5 lockdowns for another 9 weeks is proportional then I'm not sure you can be reasoned with...it is utter madness, we are already in one of the strictest lockdowns in the world...it will become the longest by the time we are let out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This Government has to go. We need an election in July.

The opposition support this

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

This is just beyond depressing. There is no hope for anything normal this year. I was in business with a partner when it all went txxs up back in 2015. I could see no hope for the future and I found myself standing beside the Dublin railway line wanting to end it. I managed to walk away that time, fought my way back and had got a new business and my finances under control in early 2019. Now its all gone to ashes, savings gone , credit card maxed, paid mortgage 5 months out of 12 last year and none this year. They have to find a way to open up and let us do business again, I`m sliding backwards into a black abyss and I`m sure there are thousands like me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ah will you come out of the clouds.

We shouldn't have left lockdown level 3 in Oct...it was nuts then and it is nuts now.

We were getting a winter surge, the health service had 8 months to prepare for it, they could have advised us all to boost our immune systems, they could have done a lot more to protect the residents of the care home....they did nothing of the sort.

We probably have one of the most dysfunctional Health Systems in the developed world, our leading health officials are a product of that system.

Too many people have been conditioned to believe that meeting your parents is dangerous....it is madness!!!

So tell us then...when the lesser restrictions compared to present were reduced before Christmas and we had spread firmly under control at about 40 to 60 new cases per day it took two weeks for an epic acceleration that sent this country to the top of the global list of incidence from the lowest.

What do you think is going to happen if the same is done again at a base of 700+ a day new recorded cases?

What kind of situation do you think the country would end up in in short order?

What do you think?

Do you want to see more strain on the health system, many many more deaths? Because that is what would happen.

Do you want level 5 for the rest of the year from April?

You all want it both ways but there is only one way.

Stheno wrote: »
    The opposition support this

This. You'd need an opposition that wasn't all for sinking the country even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

There are literally Gardai sitting in the airport waiting to fine/arrest people. But it’s not vilified haha.

Not to mention all those who are going to lose their jobs in aviation which Leo admitted this evening was inevitable.

• Advertisement

Lots of anger about this tonight. Make no mistake people aren't happy right now. I'm finally sensing that people are letting off steam for the first time since this all began.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Drifter50 wrote: »
    This is just beyond depressing. There is no hope for anything normal this year. I was in business with a partner when it all went txxs up back in 2015. I could see no hope for the future and I found myself standing beside the Dublin railway line wanting to end it. I managed to walk away that time, fought my way back and had got a new business and my finances under control in early 2019. Now its all gone to ashes, savings gone , credit card maxed, paid mortgage 5 months out of 12 last year and none this year. They have to find a way to open up and let us do business again, I`m sliding backwards into a black abyss and I`m sure there are thousands like me

I know this means nothing from a stranger on the internet but keep your chin up. This is not your fault and brighter days will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

So tell us then...when the lesser restrictions compared to present were reduced before Christmas and we had spread firmly under control at about 40 to 60 new cases per day it took two weeks for an epic acceleration that sent this country to the top of the global list of incidence from the lowest.

What do you think is going to happen if the same is done again at a base of 700+ a day new recorded cases?

What do you think?

Do you want to see more strain on the health system, many many more deaths? Because that is what would happen.

Do want level 5 for the rest of the year from April?

How about we had an efficient and dynamic rollout of the vaccine from the start - if that occured , we could have vacccinated the vulnerable , and shortened the 5 month level 5 lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Had the measures been maintained before Christmas we would not be where we are now with the required level of restrictions.

That's spilt milk under the bridge.

Have lessons really not been learned? Some want to make the exact same catastrophic error again.

You didn't answer my questions...... I'm assuming you don't have the answers because the reality of this is going to hit us all like a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

What can we do to go against this? Our mental health is being messed with, even more people are going to lose their jobs. I haven't stood in a classroom in weeks. If there is another nine weeks of this people are going to go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What do you think?

No, you tell me why we should have one of the longest, strictest lockdowns in the world...at a time when the WHO has adviced Governments not to use them. When states that haven't used them have fared just about the same as most.

We have a young population, this is a disease that predominately affects the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Jesus, social media a rife with anti government sentiment tonight...! It’s been said a gazillion times I know, but might we actually be seeing the straw that broke the camels back with what was announced tonight???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I genuinely don’t think they give two fcuks about anyone’s mental health. They don’t care if we all jumped off a cliff tomorrow and ended it all. As long as we don’t catch Covid and clog up the hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

What do you think?

It doesnt matter what restrictions were in at Xmas, people were still going to return from abroad and visit different households.

There's only so much BS you can take from the government.

We need a living with Covid plan, not shut up shop indefinitely.

• Advertisement

You can tell that it is, because the government immediately advised people to start taking vitamin D when it became clear it was preventative, and because when models predicting far worse numbers than we saw in December/January were the basis for decision-making, government immediately stepped up to procure many more ventilators and train healthcare workers in how t—

Oh, never mind. Carry on.

Ventilator supply is not an issue. They discovered last April that in many cases ventilation made things worse and was only appropriate for the worst cases. They discovered this when patients in some northern Italian hospitals started to see better recovery rates in those who were denied access to ventilation due to shortages. Ireland has one of the best icu survival rates about.

Vitamin D is it a magical antidote. It is an important part of the bodies functioning and everyone should look to ensure they have enough in their diet. There is no causal link established between vitamin d deficiency and severe Covid however. Old people tend to be low in vitamin d, old people tend to get severe Covid more often, therefore someone with severe Covid is more likely to have low vitamin d.

If only there were such easy solutions. I thought the forsythia section in the movie Contagion was overplayed until all the miracle cures that some hang on to have been peddled left right and centre based on scant evidence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement