Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This government has now completely failed. We will not be living with covid despite the 'plan' they claim to have. They have failed to deliver again. Nine weeks of Level 5 restrictions are a total failure of leadership.

A motion of no confidence should be called and a snap general election. Michael Martin is a disgrace and a political zombie.

Time for a new political movement to protect our future. Don't bother supporting any of the current political parties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No, you tell me why we should have one of the longest, strictest lockdowns in the world

because we have very high case numbers which are now dropping as a result of the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

The lockdown lunatics don't have a leg to stand on at this stage, but they do seem to have a voice that is frustratingly being listened to by the government. Bring some bloody balance into the conversation, keeping the restrictions until sometime in May is beyond infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So another nine weeks of these restrictions will take it into May-a week before my contract in work ends (with no chance of an extension).

But rather than looking forward to March 5th, and at least filling the void with some work, I can now look forward to worrying about my future and wondering how bills are going to be paid post-May. Woohoo.

But then again, the government do not give a **** about the working age bracket or the mental health of the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

RobitTV wrote: »
    This government has now completely failed. We will not be living with covid despite the 'plan' they claim to have. They have failed to deliver again. Nine weeks of Level 5 restrictions are a total failure of leadership.

A motion of no confidence should be called and a snap general election. Michael Martin is a disgrace and a political zombie.

Time for a new political movement to protect our future. Don't support any of the current political parties.

Except a motion of no confidence would fail and no election would be called.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Jesus, social media a rife with anti government sentiment tonight...! It’s been said a gazillion times I know, but might we actually be seeing the straw that broke the camels back with what was announced tonight???

Not just what was announced, but the manner they went about it was a real kick in the bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Graham wrote: »
    because we have very high case numbers which are now dropping as a result of the restrictions.

Graham, have you ever considered the long term outlook, do you really think these harsh lockdowns are for the good of the country? Genuine question.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Except a motion of no confidence would fail and no election would be called.......

Time for the fake progressives in the Green party to get a backbone and move on. Everything is worth a try.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Graham, have you ever considered the long term outlook, do you really think these harsh lockdowns are for the good of the country? Genuine question.

Yes, and yes.

Genuine answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Ah sure it's only another 9 weeks it will be worth it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This is the very kind of logic that an hysterical media news cycle breeds....complete abandonment of reason or an ability to think for yourself.

The flu magically drops every years as well...without lockdowns...it shoots up, and drops just as quick over a period of weeks...this is following the exact same patterns...it's related to our collective immune systems!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1362538628002545669

It's like it keeps getting extended before we even wait to see what impact current restrictions are going to have. Getting ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

In Holland they are thinking that the British variant isnt anymore contagious that other strains.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/02/are-coronavirus-variants-spreading-less-quickly-than-feared/

If this is true we need to start opening up stuff in from April at the latest.

Ventilator supply is not an issue. They discovered last April that in many cases ventilation made things worse and was only appropriate for the worst cases. They discovered this when patients in some northern Italian hospitals started to see better recovery rates in those who were denied access to ventilation due to shortages. Ireland has one of the best icu survival rates about.

Vitamin D is it a magical antidote. It is an important part of the bodies functioning and everyone should look to ensure they have enough in their diet. There is no causal link established between vitamin d deficiency and severe Covid however. Old people tend to be low in vitamin d, old people tend to get severe Covid more often, therefore someone with severe Covid is more likely to have low vitamin d.

If only there were such easy solutions. I thought the forsythia section in the movie Contagion was overplayed until all the miracle cures that some hang on to have been peddled left right and centre based on scant evidence

Surely before postulating such pompous drivel you have apprised yourself of the fact that a causal link has now been established between vitamin D and Covid severity?

No? Carry on with your bad self, Mr. Pop Culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

All aboard the emigration train when this is all over.ðŸ˜

This is the very kind of logic that an hysterical media news cycle breeds....complete abandonment of reason or an ability to think for yourself.

Well able to think for myself thanks.

No apologies for disagreeing with what you reckon everyone should be thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Lockdown has officially ended for me and many others today after that announcement.

Lockdown has officially ended for me and many others today after that announcement.

You said.

Lots of anger about this tonight. Make no mistake people aren't happy right now. I'm finally sensing that people are letting off steam for the first time since this all began.

The people most effected are obviously not being heard, I would advise anyone to ring, call into their elected officials office tomorrow and bombard them with emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

what the ****, 9 fooking weeks, ****ing smug lizard head on him in that pic on the mirror article too.

9 fooking weeks, is this a joke, i cant live like this for another 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The same posters who wanted Christmas so badly, got what they wanted and are now seemingly appalled by the consequences.

This was always going to be the price. A massive acceleration of disease and a slow and painful return to control of spread.

Some of us here were blue in the face warning this would happen and were called names and scaremongerers and all the rest.

While I have sympathy with the vast bulk of the population it's very difficult to have same with some who have developed an acute form of amnesia as to where we are now and what they pushed for.

This is the result.

The only way forward is to get infection rates significantly down in to low double figures and from there retaining control with lesser but sufficient restrictions. That's the way out along with the vaccines. If we don't we keep drifting in and out of crisis.

Right so they are meeting again on Monday could things not be reviewed/ changed between now and then? Loads of media hysteria as usual but this isn’t really an official announcement? That’s next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The flu magically drops every years as well...without lockdowns...it shoots up, and drops just as quick over a period of weeks...this is following the exact same patterns...it's related to our collective immune systems!!!!

This is not proven at all or even close. We had one summer where cases dropped across Europe, and may well have just coincided with the end of continent wide strict lockdowns. And you're managed to jump to the conclusion it directly follows same cycles as established seasonal viruses before this virus has even been around for a year yet. There are numerous examples which directly contradict your claim.
    Why did South Africa have a much larger second spike in mid summer? Why did much of the Southern United states peak in mid summer? Why did much of South America have large resurgences in mid summer? Why did Russia see large waves of excess deaths from COVID in July while western europe saw none?
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/09/04/russia-records-30k-excess-deaths-in-july-most-month-fatalities-in-decade-a71354

Does thinking for yourself just mean ignoring everything that goes against your belief? Rich of you to tell off the other poster for 'not thinking' , like jesus. How about you have a think instead of mindlessly buying into the next big distraction/denial theory that dies a death before it's replaced by some other nonsense. And btw, I'm not denying there's a seasonal element, it's just not anything like as simple as you claim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Not sure why people are surprised by the news. To me it's been obvious for a week now that restrictions will go on until the May bank holiday.
    Now I just hope that beginning of May will be the end of it, although I'm not so sure anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

cjyid wrote: »
    All aboard the emigration train when this is all over.ðŸ˜

Imagine how the people who came back to live in Ireland from NZ/Auz in late 2019 feel.

I think Id be inconsolable if I had done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Lots of anger about this tonight. Make no mistake people aren't happy right now. I'm finally sensing that people are letting off steam for the first time since this all began.

I’ve gone beyond making an argument against it, they listen to nothing. It’s pure rage now.

Well able to think for myself thanks.

No apologies for disagreeing with what you reckon everyone should be thinking.

Well show us some evidence then...all you do is snipe at people who don't agree with you.

What is your alternative to a further 9 week lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

The same posters who wanted Christmas so badly, got what they wanted and are now seemingly appalled by the consequences.

This was always going to be the price. A massive acceleration of disease and a slow and painful return to control of spread.

Some of us here were blue in the face warning this would happen and were called names and scaremongerers and all the rest.

While I have sympathy with the vast bulk of the population it's very difficult to have same with some who have developed an acute form of amnesia as to where we are now and what they pushed for.

This is the result.

The only way forward is to get infection rates significantly down in to low double figures and from there retaining control with lesser but sufficient restrictions. That's the way out along with the vaccines. If we don't we keep drifting in and out of crisis.

Would ya ever give it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Hard to think of another policy that has failed so spectacularly on its own terms as 'living with covid'. 6 months of house arrest with a 3 week reprieve at Christmas. I don't want to think about the long term effects this will have on us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement