Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Parachutes wrote: »
    Yeah we were wearing stupid cloth masks made in China, squirting hand gel and doing social distancing when it suited us so I guess there was not one case of flu in the whole country.... but covid is everywhere.

Would ya ever wake up.

Guess the only winter with zero confirmed cases of influenza in 20 years worth on the hspc site?

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/

All this detail is easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Please for the love of christ tell me you are not comparing covid to the plight of black slaves in civil war America?

Obviously he/she doesn't know the meaning of the song and is just citing the lyrics as it's a melancholic, thought provoking tune...

Calm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Graham wrote: »
    I've still no idea what you're asking and what I've suggested that only applies to Ireland.

The petri-dishes comment refers to the daft idea we can just remove restrictions without consequence as one of the obvious consequences would be much much higher numbers of infections which means much much hire chances of new mutations/variants.

That applies to most countries, certainly not Ireland specific.

Now if you're alluding to the fact this isn't a consideration for BoJo, probably better to wait and see what the UK actually announce before proclaiming enthusiastically that they're doing it better.

did i ever say to remove restrictions graham? between this and the travel thing i think you must be reading someone else's posts and then responding to me. either that or youre putting words in my mouth. also the UK are doing better than us considering it's been said several times that this is their final lockdown meanwhile in our fair isle we've lost another 5 months of the year and that's just what we know of so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lundstram wrote: »
    I do.

Problem is the vast majority don’t go further than the info their given in the press conference.

For a lot of people it's a case of don't know, don't care, just want it to be over. That's understandable but it doesn't make for particularly well informed decisions.

I think most just scan the headlines while others go directly to the source data rather than rely on the press releases.

ypres5 wrote: »
    did i ever say to remove restrictions graham? between this and the travel thing i think you must be reading someone else's posts and then responding to me. either that or youre putting words in my mouth. also the UK are doing better than us considering it's been said several times that this is their final lockdown meanwhile in our fair isle we've lost another 5 months of the year and that's just what we know of so far.

Like I said, the UK haven't actually announced their plans.

I'd say put the pom-poms away for now, the cheerleading is a little premature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Come on guys we are nearly there! :pac::p

9 more weeks and we can meet outside.

0014bda6-700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

copeyhagen wrote: »
    Can't sleep. Lying there ****ing eyes wide open.
    Never felt trapped in my life like this.
    Have two weeks annual leave to use up now next month... Can't even do anything with it.

Can't even escape with the wife and kids to my parents place in Spain. This isn't living...

I wonder is this their plan
    Announce 9 weeks on a Thursday casually
    Public go insane

Announce 6 weeks next Tuesday
    Public say "thank god, 9 weeks was bad"
    And that's that..no protests

They have done that lots in the past

It wouldn't be unlike them to float a kite before the weekend, allowing them time to readjust.

But they are playing with fire, people are at the end of their rope with this, and who could blame them, this is the most inhumane Government Policy ever inflicted on people...if they pull stunts like that then they are kidding themselves of they think they can get away with it...

This is like being in an abusive relationship.

Graham wrote: »
    Like I said, the UK haven't actually announced their plans.

I'd say put the pom-poms away for now, the cheerleading is a little premature.

yeah they're doing it this coming Monday so I'll keep my pom poms on hand for when they make ****ing idiots out of us and the rest of the eu for a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Hopefully the minister for Beer Gardens will sort us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I'm off to bed. Always remember: It only ends when we stop complying.

• Advertisement

this is the most inhumane Government Policy ever inflicted on people

It's probably fair to say that's just hyperbolic tosh.

On the scale of government committed atrocities, our current restrictions wouldn't even rank.

ypres5 wrote: »
    yeah they're doing it this coming Monday so I'll keep my pom poms on hand for when they make ****ing idiots out of us and the rest of the eu for a second time.

Pics or it didn't happen :D:D:D

In fairness to the UK, their vaccine program does look like it's progressing nicely.

They're into harsh restrictions,
    Closed schools and shopping malls
    They make false predictions
    Zara King, asking utter balls

Mental health across the nation
    Has gone to utter ****e
    Landlords make an eviction
    Rents late, a fortnight

They'll close all your pubs off and make drink out in the rain
    They'll make your life so crazy, agonizing mental pain
    Like a bullet to your brain
    Come on!

Micheál Martin,
    Livin' Da Vida Lockdown
    Tony Holohan
    Livin' Da Vida Lockdown
    They will wear you out
    Livin' Da Vida Lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

It wouldn't be unlike them to float a kite before the weekend, allowing them time to readjust.

But they are playing with fire, people are at the end of their rope with this, and who could blame them, this is the most inhumane Government Policy ever inflicted on people...if they pull stunts like that then they are kidding themselves of they think they can get away with it...

This is like being in an abusive relationship.

That's exactly what it is.

And been that since last May.

Government communications and "guidance" is like textbook controlling abusive partner behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭garycoyle1

U watching Mel Gibson on netflix

RobitTV wrote: »

0014bda6-700.jpg

Where is this in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

MOR316 wrote: »
    They're into harsh restrictions,
    Closed schools and shopping malls
    They make false predictions
    Zara King, asking utter balls

Mental health across the nation
    Has gone to utter ****e
    Landlords make an eviction
    Rents late, a fortnight

They'll close all your pubs off and make drink out in the rain
    They'll make you life so crazy, agonizing mental pain
    Like a bullet to your brain
    Come on!

Micheál Martin,
    Livin' Da Vida Lockdown
    Tony Holohan
    Livin' Da Vida Lockdown
    They will wear you out
    Livin' Da Vida Lockdown

Ha that’s very good. I sang it.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ha that’s very good. I sang it.

Thank you, I'm here all weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Any chance of at least takeaway pints?

There are plenty places in cork city doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

RobitTV wrote: »

0014bda6-700.jpg

He has taken us through our darkest times ..............and lead us to even darker ones.

Did something happen tonight? Did the rats �� threaten us with more restrictions tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Did something happen tonight? Did the rats �� threaten us with more restrictions tonight?

Level 5 for 9 more week the dirty feckers.

There are plenty places in cork city doing them.

North of Cork they're known as supermarkets or off licenses :pac:

Level 5 for 9 more week the dirty feckers.

Really , 2 more months, we’ll im ****ing breaking the 5k , I need to be somewhere on paddy’s day .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hellrazer wrote: »
    What really pisses me off is the headline tonight from our national broadcaster.
    Covid death toll surpasses 4,000 as 650 cases confirmed

It should be
    650 cases - the lowest in 2 months.

With all this doom and gloom we`ll never get out of lockdown!!

Except doing that would involve telling some serious porkies.

These are the cases over the last 2 weeks. And unfortunately they show that the number of daily cases is not declining exponentially but rather seesawing up and down.

4yldst.jpg

On February 9th we had just 556 cases. Four days later that was back up to 1078.

Yesterday's figures of 650 cases is going in the right direction. Today's 901 not so much.

Chxst I have to say it - but a lot of this thread takes the biscuit for doom and gloom and whinging tbf

We're all fed up but we're barely four weeks out from having the highest rate of Covid 19 infection in the world.

All because of the pressure of people demanding a break for Christmas when rules around household mixing were eased, and limits on travel between counties temporarily lifted and as result we got shafted with rising numbers of people infected with Covid. And add to this a new more infectious strain of the virus, first detected in the UK, spreading here and for the current case numbers now being difficult to get back down

But yeah the milestone of 4000 deaths on reflection does need a minute. That's a figure of equivalent to the entire population of Kilcullen.

That said it doesn't mean we can't celebrate the fact that restrictions to date have likley saved a significant number of lives and kept people from becoming ill or that the vaccines will save more or that we've kept the lid (mostly) on our health services being overrun.

Yeah and people are feeling the brunt of this ****e. And without a doubt its tough on everyone - young and old alike.

And yes the media can be often be a pain in the arse and often prefer shock headlines and bs stories. But at least we already know that. We don't need to copy them.

Where is this in Dublin

somewhere that needs a good coat of whitewash to get rid of the hogwash

They might...As some sort of carrot on a stick type thing.

I don't understand why they're not currently doing them tbh. I don't drink much but, as far as I'm aware, there is nothing stopping them legally. They were just asked not to

I'm always seeing massive queues and congregation for take away coffees...I never saw that for pints during the Autumn

They might...As some sort of carrot on a stick type thing.

I don't understand why they're not currently doing them tbh. I don't drink much but, as far as I'm aware, there is nothing stopping them legally. They were just asked not to

I think it’s really just been the weather but I say the trade will pick up now with the better weather and longer evening. I could do with a street drinking sesh... has been a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I actually think people would still go to the likes of Croke Park, Avvia, 3Arena if stuff were on tomorrow/weekend restrictions or not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement