Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

funnydoggy wrote: »
    At the weekend too. He's a gowl.

He's a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    People will ultimately need to take to the streets at some stage. One of the biggest issues with social media is that is that people are less likely to protest wrongs when they can just vent from their living room.

I think protests will happen, but maybe not in the immediate future. People are fed up but the vista of taking to the streets is simply, in the eyes of many people, running far too close to the risk of being associated with the slightly more eccentric and extreme fringes. I don’t think there would be much media goodwill either — the BLM protests were organised in a way that attempted to respect social distancing but it was clear that not everybody was doing it. But the overall message of BLM was looked upon favourably and the media were kind in their reporting. Any anti-lockdown protests, even those organised by people encouraging social distancing, will undoubtedly be labelled a “super spreader” event and the media will likely hone in on examples of people standing together.

What I do think will happen though is that we are on a the verge of a storm of protests when the vaccine is rolled out. The young people of Ireland have essentially had their interests tossed to the wind — our youngest children thrust into a depersonalised educational experiment, teenagers who have been denied precious life experiences, young adults now facing into the fact that they cannot afford a home in their own country while construction sites lie silent. We face into a new world where the remote-working professionals have been able to save money and can at least look forward to some flexibility in their working arrangements but they will soon exert pressure on housing in the suburbs and small towns — with prices escalating. Those who cannot work remotely will find themselves with less flexibility, and I have serious concerns as to the effect this social divide will have on Irish society in the years to come. This is just the tip of the iceberg — and a whole slew of issues now lie ahead of us (not to mention the wider global issue of poverty being exacerbated).

I have said to all those who were strong supporters of the government’s strategy — you have had the moral high ground for the past year, and perhaps for a few months more to come. Soon that moral high ground is going to slip away beneath peoples’ feet, and I wonder how many people will subtly shift to new ones. I wonder how many will return to championing socioeconomic issues, how many will wax lyrical about how good socioeconomic policies improves both the quality of life and generally contributes to the overall prolongation of life.

Once socioeconomic issues are ‘cool’ again — and not just the perceived preserve of those who allegedly just want a pint and don’t give a s**t who dies for it — then the protests will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The mother showed me a FB post of a salon in Cork who has had enough. They're opening their doors soon. I wonder will this happen in other places too.

My wife says one in balbriggan area doing similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

C__MC wrote: »
    The sneakiness of MM announcing to the Irish Mirror that another 9 weeks of lockdown are ahead of us, FF at its best

The country will not open up this year. Its clear they are just doing rolling announcements instead of just announcing year long lockdown. By the time we open they will have organised the new system/reset to step into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Boggles wrote: »
    Tracy-Chapman-Revolution.mpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think protests will happen, but maybe not in the immediate future. People are fed up but the vista of taking to the streets is simply, in the eyes of many people, running far too close to the risk of being associated with the slightly more eccentric and extreme fringes. I don’t think there would be much media goodwill either — the BLM protests were organised in a way that attempted to respect social distancing but it was clear that not everybody was doing it. But the overall message of BLM was looked upon favourably and the media were kind in their reporting. Any anti-lockdown protests, even those organised by people encouraging social distancing, will undoubtedly be labelled a “super spreader” event and the media will likely hone in on examples of people standing together.

What I do think will happen though is that we are on a the verge of a storm of protests when the vaccine is rolled out. The young people of Ireland have essentially had their interests tossed to the wind — our youngest children thrust into a depersonalised educational experiment, teenagers who have been denied precious life experiences, young adults now facing into the fact that they cannot afford a home in their own country while construction sites lie silent. We face into a new world where the remote-working professionals have been able to save money and can at least look forward to some flexibility in their working arrangements but they will soon exert pressure on housing in the suburbs and small towns — with prices escalating. Those who cannot work remotely will find themselves with less flexibility, and I have serious concerns as to the effect this social divide will have on Irish society in the years to come. This is just the tip of the iceberg — and a whole slew of issues now lie ahead of us (not to mention the wider global issue of poverty being exacerbated).

I have said to all those who were strong supporters of the government’s strategy — you have had the moral high ground for the past year, and perhaps for a few months more to come. Soon that moral high ground is going to slip away beneath peoples’ feet, and I wonder how many people will subtly shift to new ones. I wonder how many will return to championing socioeconomic issues, how many will wax lyrical about how good socioeconomic policies improves both the quality of life and generally contributes to the overall prolongation of life.

Once socioeconomic issues are ‘cool’ again — and not just the perceived preserve of those who allegedly just want a pint and don’t give a s**t who dies for it — then the protests will come.

You are overthinking it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

The country will not open up this year. Its clear they are just doing rolling announcements instead of just announcing year long lockdown. By the time we open they will have organised the new system/reset to step into.

It'll only open when people decide themselves to open.
    There's not even a chance of having a pint in a non-food pub by xmas with this shower in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

growleaves wrote: »

He doesn't want your ilk using his song. Tut Tut.

Twisted Sister singer to anti-maskers: Don't use our song

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    People will ultimately need to take to the streets at some stage.

At what stage? This will all be over before the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My brother lives in Malta and they have had high enough numbers but managed to keep open somewhat. You can still go to the gym and go to restaurants. This is on an island that is the most densely populated place in Europe.
    Exactly how bad is our healthcare system that we have to have this continuous level of lockdown?
    Malta is a bit of a corrupt ramshackle place but when my brother got the virus he had his own room in hospital for a week, no fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It'll be a great reset...? Yeah?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I suggest everyone who wrote to their TDs does a follow up now to let them know they have had enough and won’t be following 9 more weeks of level 5. Let them know you are planning to disregard it and protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

You're right. Don't overthink these things. Countries are very simple mechanisms and easy instructions like "Open. Close. Open. Close again. Keep closed." are the best way to ensure that people stay healthy and they're unlikely to have any negative effects. Just don't think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

That was said last year as well, at one stage.

We've been already primed to expect a 'fourth wave', 'new variants' and 'restrictions into 2022'.

Penfailed wrote: »

well that is the plan isn't it according to the WEF of which many of our leaders are signed up too.
    Leo has some junior hero leader badge from them ...I can't recall the exact title.

but yeah...

Vaccine roll out by September......... folk will likely wear masks when in shops for the winter 2021 at least IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

Penfailed wrote: »

I appreciate you want to keep your comfort level but open your mind to 'possibilities'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I suggest everyone who wrote to their TDs does a follow up now to let them know they have had enough and won’t be following 9 more weeks of level 5. Let them know you are planning to disregard it and protest.

63903839.jpg

The most effective way to do it economically and for the beautician and the publican working in a bar or a pub is to defeat the virus. The most effective way we can do that is by restrictions for as long as we can possibly hold it, along with the vaccination roll-out, there’s no other easy way against Covid-19."

So, according to Martin, the best way to "do it economically" for beauticians and publicans is to keep their businesses closed for most of the year? This is laughably insulting. I propose that the best way to "do it economically" for politicians is to transfer them all to the PUP for duration of restrictions. Would save the country a fortune.

For most working in beauticians and pubs the PUP is a huge percentage of their wages. Different story for the owners of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The level of anger and frustration on the radio today is quite something. My local station is getting calls from anxious parents who are worried about the mental health of their children. Many of the kids are no longer motivated and some have been crying and staying in bed all day. They have no motivation for learning at home anymore and they miss seeing friends and playing outside like normal children.

The radio station was bombarded with texts agreeing with the desperate parents and showing sympathy with them. Mental health is collapsing in this country for many young and isolated people.

Another 9 weeks and then we are told 'maybe' things can improve by then. The same old PR spin.

There is too much focus on covid cases all the time. People need to step back from the cliff edge and stop worrying over the amount of cases each and every day that they see broadcast on the television.

Augeo wrote: »
    For most working in beauticians and pubs the PUP is a huge percentage of their wages. Different story for the owners of course.

How many do you know in this industry?

my mate's gf is a hairdresser and the PUP is 50% of her pay . then throw in tips she isn't getting.
    Another kicker is my mate (her partner) is in construction and he down over 1k a week cos of the closures. You can imagine the pain of that household.
    mortgage arrears stacking up and all that.
    Both happy to take the any covid risk but their life decisions are decided for by an unelected technocracy,

where is their bailout? we all know the answer to that.:rolleyes:

I've a mate a barman of year experience PUP doesn't come close.

I suggest you mightn't know the real story or taking young people in their 20s as your sample size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Are you forgetting how screwed they are every January?
    Exactly...

People seem to completely forget about every other winter season from the past.

An example here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

In what way? If the issue of the impact of the domestic and global shutdown is so simple, to the extent a few paragraphs is “overthinking it”, then I presume that you can simplify it for me?

People are talking about the New Roaring Twenties, and I think that we will almost undoubtedly see a boom after the pandemic. But people should remember how the Twenties ended — and how the Thirties began. We are standing on the precipice of a new world where the fundamental assumptions about how societies and economies function (most particularly, how people work) are now utterly blowing in the wind. The challenge we face is that there are some who can withstand that wind (well qualified in-demand professionals with almost total working flexibility), and many many many more who will simply be blown wherever the wind takes them, with little to no control.

The more people feel they lose control, the more likely they are to veer towards anger and resentment (think of how effective the slogan “Take Back Control” was in England). The more they veer that way, the greater the potential for radical and even extremist politics to simmer away beneath the Great Post-Covid Boom, and perhaps explode in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

paw patrol wrote: »
    it's very disheartening to see how big the subservient group is?
    In case I'm accused of it, not you :pac:

But seriously, the number of people living in fear of covid19 and just content to outsource all their decisions to the government.
    Somehow we as a nation have bred a large section of society emotionally dependent on the state to verify their action in a similar way to some families are for unable to function without the welfare state.

cos you know most of the same people will be in the restaurants/bars immediately if the government said they could open.
    As is Michael Martins mere voice on tv would diminish the risk of covid death.

On related point, yesterday I saw fools jogging with masks in the park like wtf?
    Certainly not the median age 83 cohort either.

And that's exactly what got us to where we are. There's been little encouragement to consider your own situation and take whatever measures are necessary to protect yourself and those around you. The focus has all been on "the rules".

"We know best. Obey these restrictions. No, not those ones, they were last week. Yes, we published a plan and sent it out to everyone, but ignore that too, now follow these new restrictions. Don't think about it, just obey.... OK, now we'll have a break from some of the restrictions.... Oh, who could possibly have predicted this disaster? You're all bad people for doing what we said. Six more months of restrictions for you."

And as a result, there seem to be quite a lot of people who genuinely believed meeting in restaurants at Christmas was perfectly safe. And that spending two hours sitting across the table from someone would magically protect them from Covid, even though in any other circumstances they'd by considered a close contact after 15 minutes. Because the government said it was OK.

Because Tony banging on relentlessly about alcohol, or leaving the country, or whatever his bete noir of the week is, and the government repeating his mantra, just focuses people on that and leaves them thinking whatever is permitted must be perfectly safe.

Instead of encouraging people to take personal responsibility and consider how their actions and individual circumstances might affect others, which might make some restrictions irrelevant for them but mean in other cases they need to take additional measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 22 badger54

Seems increasingly doubtful that construction will return, as previously signposted, from March 5th.

Independent reports that "A small amount of construction may be permitted next month but most restrictions will remain in place until the end of April or start of May. Restrictions will be reviewed in early April."

A small amount? Like what? How? Housing to return on phased basis?

While the situation, and the Christmas debacle, clearly merits tough action can't we have a little more clarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

I emailed them today, also thought I would add Tony Holohan, Ronan Glynn and few other in the CMO office to it also.

I was looking into some articles for reference to back up what I was putting in the email and I came across this little nugget.

On the travel restrictions, Martin said “there is no remaining serious justification for the 5 kilometre limit”.

“The public health concern is how people behave around others – not how far they are from their home. In fact, the research shows that this limit may in fact be forcing people in urban areas into more crowded situations.”
    * Edit: see another poster has linked this above as well!!!

The thought of facing another 9 weeks of this drudgery is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I appreciate you want to keep your comfort level but open your mind to 'possibilities'.

There's a whole thread dedicated to it in the Conspiracy Theories forum.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Another 9 weeks and then we are told 'maybe' things can improve by then. The same old PR spin.

Aside from the fact that these politicians are grossly incompetent, what I find worse is them making an absolute mockery of people with the "just a few more months and we'll reassess", continuous 'carrot on a stick' type nonsense.
    The real question is, how long until people just ignore their restrictions completely? I've been saying this for a while and had a thread merged into this one re: same. The whole thing ends when everybody just ignores their restrictions.

I'm not saying people should go out now and start throwing house parties. But, after the elderly and medically vulnerable are vaccinated, I cannot see any reason to continue with all of this. Age and death statistics from Covid back that up. After vaccination of the vulnerable, the lives and futures of many simply must take precedence over the lives of few.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement