Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The best thing people can do is just not follow the restrictions. Use all the valid reasons available to break them.

That’s what I am doing. Technically, I am breaking no rules.

**** that - I just dont bother with them at all now - I dont even try to bend them.

Ill wear a mask in shops,sanitise ,keep my distance etc but thats as far as Im willing to take it - last weekend was my daughters birthday - had 6 people over for drinks, I travel outside my 5k most weekends - tomorrow Im attending a funeral for an uncle that died this week thats allowing more than 10 inside. Probably go somewhere for tea/ sandwiches after it.

Nope - Im finished with restrictions for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Most people don't want to be sitting at home claiming off the state. They want to get on with their work and lives.

What we're saying is that after the elderly and medically vulnerable have been vaccinated, there is no justification or economic sense in continuing down this path.

What do you mean "we're saying"? :confused: You are responsible for your own opinion and just because you can see a reasoning behind it, that doesn't mean their isn't.

But the "elderly and medically vulnerable", define them and put on a number on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm starting a new holding company.

I've decided to call it the Hold Firm Holding Firm

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

ShyMets wrote: »
    Just Hold firm. Two more weeks. Put on the Green jersey. Stay safe. In this together. Stay at Home.

Think I've covered of most of the clichés

you missed:

We are getting the vaccines into arms.
    Vaccines are one part of the response.

We know its tough for people.

We are all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Given that one of the main threats to the hospitals was lack of staff due to sickness or self isolating, the fact that they are now vaccinated should have a huge effect on the ability to cope. We should be starting to open right now. Cocoon the elderly that are still waiting for vaccination, and for gods sake try to get any vaccine to them before they die of old age. Enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

thebaz wrote: »
    I blame the person that did the Tony Superman mural - the power literally went to his head - He suddenly assumed he had become the de-Facto unelected leader of our nation in his pusuit of zero Covid - nothing else matters, including other illnesses and the fragile mental health of our Nation - its all he and his colleagues ever suggest , we are very VERY concerned, 2 more months level 5 lockdown .
    Nothing else matters.

He doesn't seem to want to pursuit Zero Covid - Just low numbers so we can't reopen but not zero covid so we can't reopen either. He somehow manages to piss off both sides of the debate.

I honestly still think that Tony doesn't have any secret agendas (well he's not a fan of alcohol/pubs, for sure) but I think the problem is more generalized. NPHET role is to advise only on covid-related manner without having to think about anything else (economy/mental health) so their advise is basically "lock everything but school down" (even more so since Tony replace Glynn) but the gov who should see the bigger picture doesn't and just follow whatever NPHET says because every time they diverge cases start to go up (which of course do) they are grilled to death by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Hellrazer wrote: »
    **** that - I just dont bother with them at all now - I dont even try to bend them.

Ill wear a mask in shops,sanitise ,keep my distance etc but thats as far as Im willing to take it - last weekend was my daughters birthday - had 6 people over for drinks, I travel outside my 5k most weekends - tomorrow Im attending a funeral for an uncle that died this week thats allowing more than 10 inside. Probably go somewhere for tea/ sandwiches after it.

Nope - Im finished with restrictions for good.

One of my friends has two lidil bags on the back seat filled with cheap non perishing foods. Got stopped a few times and says he's delivering to an elderly relation. Gaurds just wave him on.

Handy way of not been made turn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

RobitTV wrote: »
    UK: Government 'increasingly positive' that Brits will be able to have a foreign break this year amid hopes vaccine passport will make international travel 'straightforward'

Ministers are 'increasingly positive' that foreign summer holidays will be possible this year amid hopes vaccine passports will soon make international travel 'straightforward'.

There is said to be growing optimism in Whitehall that trips abroad will be allowed in the coming months.

It is thought some countries could require proof of vaccination as a condition for quarantine-free travel in the future.

Untill of course they say "NEW VARIANTS"

So we could have a situation where we are all vacinated and still need to quarantine/get PCR tested with travel.

utter non ending madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Donnelly on newstalk suggesting we can’t open construction because people will want to play golf

There’s the science we are following

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on, I think we can all agree that this is horrendously weak minded.

Boggles wrote: »
    What do you mean "we're saying"? :confused: You are responsible for your own opinion and just because you can see a reasoning behind it, that doesn't mean their isn't.

But the "elderly and medically vulnerable", define them and put on a number on it?

By "we", I evidently mean the majority of this thread, and presumably at this stage, the majority of the country who can objectively view the situation based on statistics, not emotion.

CSO: The average age of people dying from Covid is 83, the same as that for all deaths.
    Most also had underlying conditions.

Please explain your reasoning why we should continue with level 5 restrictions and lockdowns after the elderly and medically vulnerable have been vaccinated. Economic justification would also be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Knex* wrote: »
    Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on, I think we can all agree that this is horrendously weak minded.

It's like saying we can't open supermarkets because we'd also have to open clothes shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Cheers as Madrid bars can stay open until 11pm Link

From today in Madrid, bars and restaurants will be allowed to stay open until 11pm. There are some restrictions but not many, four people to a table inside and six outside on the terrace. The curfew has also been put back until 11pm. Last orders at 10pm.

I can only imagine the explosion of rage, vitriol, claims of 'police state' etc had we ever been under a nationwide curfew due to Covid so cherry picking the positive out of the situation is disingenuous.

pm1977x wrote: »
    I can only imagine the explosion of rage, vitriol, claims of 'police state' etc had we ever been under a nationwide curfew due to Covid so cherry picking the positive out of the situation is disingenuous.

There are some people who will lose the plot no matter what action is taken. For the vast majority, a curfew would be significantly better than 5km restrictions and nearly everything closed.

What difference would a curfew make when nothing is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

UK: Government 'increasingly positive' that Brits will be able to have a foreign break this year amid hopes vaccine passport will make international travel 'straightforward'

Ministers are 'increasingly positive' that foreign summer holidays will be possible this year amid hopes vaccine passports will soon make international travel 'straightforward'.

There is said to be growing optimism in Whitehall that trips abroad will be allowed in the coming months.

It is thought some countries could require proof of vaccination as a condition for quarantine-free travel in the future.

When this happens, and it will, the level of anger in Ireland at our insular, backward thinking incompetent government will reach a fever pitch we may never have seen before. I’m part looking forward to watching it unfold and partly depressed at how we are stuck in this situation and in a place where we are fined and criminalised if we leave our own country to avail of a better governed and more prosperous land!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

RGS wrote: »

Worked a year ago - we are seeing no real leadership, no plan for living with Covid , no dynamic vaccination program , just NPHET never-ending over cautious cliches -
    And one year later we have literally forgotten how to live. We should be able to vaccinate the vulnerable in the next 2 months, and let those who want to start living , do so , those who are still afraid can stay at home.
    A precedent has been set, any kind of bad flu from now on, will require lockdowns ior calls for lockdown by our new Nanny state masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There are some people who will lose the plot no matter what action is taken. For the vast majority, a curfew would be significantly better than 5km restrictions and nearly everything closed.

It's not even a comparison - at least with the curfew you are allowed meet other people and actually live a little. Walking 5km on your own for months is far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'd have to disagree. You cannot please everyone, but many people would suffer through a night curfew to have the 5km travel limit removed and maybe with some shops open.

Yes because curfews are usually placed on conquered countries.

The curfew in France from 1940 to 1942. The Allied curfew on Germany from 1945 to 1946.

Multipass wrote: »
    What difference would a curfew make when nothing is open?

I'd have no issue with a curfew, as you say not much you can be doing anyway, but the die-hards on here would lose their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

RGS wrote: »
    you missed:

We are getting the vaccines into arms.
    Vaccines are one part of the response.

We know its tough for people.

“Cautious” “conservative” “slow reopening”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Multipass wrote: »
    Given that one of the main threats to the hospitals was lack of staff due to sickness or self isolating, the fact that they are now vaccinated should have a huge effect on the ability to cope. We should be starting to open right now. Cocoon the elderly that are still waiting for vaccination, and for gods sake try to get any vaccine to them before they die of old age. Enough is enough.

Dr Glynn said they are waiting a few more months to see if those vaccines will take an effect. The data at the moment is inconclusive
    He must be worried Our health care staff have a different genetic make up the Israeli’s where vaccinations have already proven to be effective.

One of the journalists last night called him out on NPHET’s dithering and inability to take or make decisions on things because they seem to need to be 100% sure before doing anything.

He got very flustered and almost angry in his defensiveness.

I'd have no issue with a curfew, as you say not much you can be doing anyway, but the die-hards on here would lose their minds.

Colonel Gaspard famously said that he joined the French Resistance because he couldn't stand night after night of curfew.

Despite all the talk of 'snowflakes', or maybe because of it, people who live in 2021 seem to be one of the most stoic generations in human history. Many people won't even admit that years of restrictions are a burden and get annoyed when someone brings it up.

growleaves wrote: »
    Colonel Gaspard famously said that he joined the French Resistance because he couldn't stand night after night of curfew.

Despite all the talk of 'snowflakes', or maybe because of it, people who live in 2021 seem to be one of the most stoic generations in human history. Many people won't even admit that years of restrictions are a burden and get annoyed when someone brings it up.

In fairness I don't think anyone is suggesting a curfew would be great craic, just that it would be better than what we have now.

Oh I’d have issue with it alright, as being another stupid over reaction that would make absolutely no difference. But it wouldn’t make life any more miserable, because we’re already at maximum misery with the stupidity currently forced upon us.

Dr Glynn said they are waiting a few more months to see if those vaccines will take an effect. The data at the moment is inconclusive
    He must be worried Our health care staff have a different genetic make up the Israeli’s where vaccinations have already proven to be effective.

One of the journalists last night called him out on NPHET’s dithering and inability to take or make decisions on things because they seem to need to be 100% sure before doing anything.

He got very flustered and almost angry in his defensiveness.

This probably means they are still sending vaccinated staff home to self isolate. Wouldn’t surprise me, nothing would anymore.

batman_oh wrote: »
    It's not even a comparison - at least with the curfew you are allowed meet other people and actually live a little. Walking 5km on your own for months is far worse.

Psychologically the word 'curfew' or thought of being under curfew, rather than the actual restriction seems to trigger a sense of severe oppression in many.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

badger54 wrote: »
    Seems increasingly doubtful that construction will return, as previously signposted, from March 5th.

Independent reports that "A small amount of construction may be permitted next month but most restrictions will remain in place until the end of April or start of May. Restrictions will be reviewed in early April."

A small amount? Like what? How? Housing to return on phased basis?

While the situation, and the Christmas debacle, clearly merits tough action can't we have a little more clarity!

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/press-release-archive/2020/december/minister-coveney--minister-ryan-announce-covid-consular-flights-and-ferry-access-for-irish-resident.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Once the over 70s are vaccinated everyone should do as they please. Enough is enough.

That's not going to happen. Bus drivers are the most fanatical about mask wearing. They wail and scream at people who don't comply when they board.
    On trains and the DART for months now fanatics have been photographing people merely for having their masks under the chin and outing them on twitter.
    In large shops you can get away with not wearing a mask but in small shops you will get screamed at.
    At work you have no leeway either.
    If you travel by public transport you can avoid Garda checkpoints and nobody is stopped on foot so meeting friends or romantic partners is no problem in the Dublin urban area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Psychologically the word 'curfew' or thought of being under curfew, rather than the actual restriction seems to trigger a sense of severe oppression in many.

That's because "curfew" is typically what overbearing parents place on children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement